Quantcast

» «
Photo

This is how it feels like to be working at Rockstar...

69 replies to this topic
Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:18 AM Edited by Vercetti42, 04 August 2014 - 11:25 AM.

Hey guys,

This was shared to me by another member, Andreas. So I thought I'd post this here. I'm not exactly sure if this is the perfect place but meh.

Basically, this is how it really feels to be working at Rockstar. The experience isn't great, it's... horrible, a bit old but not a lot of people are aware that this is going on:

Link: http://www.glassdoor...-RVW4520266.htm

"Everything is kept in secret so you don't know when the game is supposed to be done and stay late. Then deadlines are pushed and the crunch is extended for another 6 months. This can go on for years."

"Everybody is afraid of Sam (Houser). Everybody is walking on eggshells waiting for him to explode. Managers hide from him what is really going on in the project so he doesn't explode again."

"Culture of fear. You will get fired if you don't come on the weekend. You will get sued if you talk badly about us. You will get sued or fired for everything! Constant feeling of "something really bad is about to happen". My health suffered from it."

"Managers treat you badly and are extremely moody. Sam screams at them and they scream at the people below them until it reaches you. Horrible, horrible atmosphere. Some managers are abusive to the point of illegality but are protected by management. Managers treat people who leave Rockstar as traitors or losers."

"HR is on Rockstar's side. You feel trapped. You hear horrible stories happening at other Rockstar studios all the time but nothing changes."

"Really bad technology. RAGE engine is terrible. Crappy tools that are very limiting. Feeling of having to work handcuffed. Things are not automated enough and are done by hand by people that have to stay late. Brute force is the norm."

It's terrible but at the same time I never knew this was happening. This has been going on during the development of games such as GTA IV, GTA V, RDR, Max Payne 3, LA Noire...

It's amazing they can produce such great games in such a horrible, horrible atmosphere. This explains all the delays, why they cut features, their silence for long periods.. etc. They have to keep re-doing it over and over again, which is why they take so much of time.

Thoughts on this guys?
  • HaythamKenway, Lucario 2.0, TnSilhouette and 2 others like this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

And they have a MEGA-BLOCBUSTER IP? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Note:But that kind hard...

DAM351V8
  • DAM351V8

Player Hater

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

This may be true for mythical heists update (I've never seen but keep hearing is coming soon) But it's more obvious to me that such an update would only hurt r☆ profits by enabling easily accessible ways to make money. That would be back up the fact that several patches/hot fixes and updates have been released since I've been playing(late Jan) and most have new stuff to buy/waste money on. Also the amount of god players is increasing lately, yet im only hearing of ppl that glitch easy cash being banned. (R★ doesn't seem to mind cheating in general, but don't like ppl who find loopholes in their programs, which affects the profits margins by not having players buying gta $ from R*)
  • BLOOD-MOND likes this

Loc14
  • Loc14

King of Los Santos

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:41 AM

Just EA trying to make Rockstar look bad. Because not everything on the internet is supposed to be true.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:42 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 04 August 2014 - 11:45 AM.

^You know that cus they have GTA and it SO BIG,now if Take2 sells the IP (which will NEVER happen) or give it to 2K,then Rockstar is going down under or not even popular anymore lol...but damn they make great games it SO hard to believe these guys :cry:

Note:but many publishers does that these days i guess **cough** EA,Activi$ion,Ubi$oft **cough**

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:42 AM

Just EA trying to make Rockstar look bad. Because not everything on the internet is supposed to be true.

Most baseless assumption ever.

There have been lots of reports like these before RDR's release, there was the hot coffee scandal before GTA IV's release and Team Bondi's employees were treated like hell. It's hard to make up something like this over multiple occasions.
  • Pooyan Cyrus and BLOOD-MOND like this

Loc14
  • Loc14

King of Los Santos

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

There have been lots of reports like these before RDR's release, there was the hot coffee scandal before GTA IV's release and Team Bondi's employees were treated like hell. It's hard to make up something like this over multiple occasions.

Well if they are treated so bad, why work there.

But i don't know anything about it, and the first time i heard about R* beign evil was just months ago.

Tho i really don't think Rockstar is like EA and Activision...

• BLOOD-MOND likes this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

But i don't know anything about it, and the first time i heard about R* beign evil was just months ago.
Tho i really don't think Rockstar is like EA and Activision...

True Words...

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:51 AM

It isn't easy to find another job, especially once you get fired for not coming to work on time..etc.
  • Drunken Cowboy, matajuegos01 and BLOOD-MOND like this

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:13 PM Edited by Dope_0110, 04 August 2014 - 12:13 PM.

Very old, aren't these just bits from that RDR era post by supposedly one of the former employes or something? (though I don't doubt they are forced to work extra hours or have bad bosses and all that, it's a business after all).

• Bi0ha2ard_q8 likes this

Severe
  • Severe

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

I could easily imagine this being pretty accurate. Not saying it's necessarily true for all employees, but some people have a hard time managing high intensity environments and interactions, so it could definitely feel like this to such people.

Also, sure, they could be all cuddly and pleasant like Valve reportedly is, but then again, how much does Valve seem to get done?

• Bi0ha2ard_q8 and BLOOD-MOND like this

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:29 PM

Read Me - Rockstar Saddened By Employee Treatment Allegations

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:43 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 04 August 2014 - 12:51 PM.

They have the 4th Best-Selling Game Franchise in the Gaming Industry,that will for sure happen,to keep superb top-notch quality in Both GTA and their otheir IPs like Red Dead and Max Payne,no matter what R* are a great publisher IMO :) (plus they are also Ristakers unlike other publishers) $266ml budget the biggest for any game and they made $1bn in just 3days.Hopefully things should change for better in future (even the President,Sam Houser is always nervous at public event).

Note:I am looking at you EA ;), plus R* were the first-ever game company to receive a BAFTA Fellowship Award,a title that even Ninetendo havent got yet lol.

@Osho
Great Article :) and Great Respond from Rockstar :)

toxluv
  • toxluv

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:21 PM Edited by toxluv, 05 August 2014 - 02:17 PM.

Don't know if that's true or not, but Rockstar Games handles various multi-billionaire franchises and hard work is mandatory to keep their quality as good as possible. Also, we don't have to believe everything we read on the Internet, especially if it comes by anonymous sources.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Videospiele sind meine Lieblings Videospiele.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

And do you have any proof of that?

OT: I remember reading something a former rockstar employee wrote and the same thing happened back then. Hell, Manhunt really flustered up the people working on it. Here's the link to that article.

• Judicious 7 and matajuegos01 like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

I've seen these reports plenty of times,I'm not quick to believe them but it wouldn't surprise me if it's true, they are a business after all and remember that they shutdown Rockstar Vienna while they were in the middle of making Manhunt 2, and didn't even credit a lot of the people from the studio who worked on the game.
  • BLOOD-MOND likes this

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Checklister

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

Dyyyaaaaaaaaammmnnn......

toxluv
  • toxluv

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:18 PM Edited by toxluv, 04 August 2014 - 04:23 PM.

Let's see the other side of the coin: Jeremy Pope is a former GTA associate producer who worked on GTAIII and GTA: Vice City, and as a producer on Rockstar Games' Max Payne 1 and Oni, before he left Rockstar North during the development of GTA: San Andreas. He left because he didn't want to work on violent games again, but he definitely loved to work with them. This post isn't intended to judge the choices behind his dismissal, he had his reasons to do so, but I'd rather believe to a former associate producer than anonymous persons.

For those interested about Jeremy Pope's personal story, here is the link: http://www.gamesindu...ent-games-again

• BLOOD-MOND and Madara1224 like this

Wavesittich
  • Wavesittich

GTA 4 fanboy

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:51 PM

Let's see the other side of the coin: Jeremy Pope is a former GTA associate producer who worked on GTAIII and GTA: Vice City, and as a producer on Rockstar Games' Max Payne 1 and Oni, before he left Rockstar North during the development of GTA: San Andreas. He left because he didn't want to work on violent games again, but he definitely loved to work with them. This post isn't intended to judge the choices behind his dismissal, he had his reasons to do so, but I'd rather believe to a former associate producer than anonymous persons.

For those interested about Jeremy Pope's personal story, here is the link: http://www.gamesindu...ent-games-again

Maybe this was the reaction to the negative things. Maybe he would be murdered by the evil Houser mafia for saying negative things about R*. O.o

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:16 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 04 August 2014 - 06:16 PM.

"Dont Believe what People on the Internet Say" and that always True Folks :) (and this will be one of my last post on this thread :)).

Here an Interview with the President of Rockstar Games (and it Studios),Sam Houser:
http://m.playboy.com...ign=PC_Redirect

PhilosophicalZebra
  • PhilosophicalZebra

Eh.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:42 PM Edited by PhilosophicalZebra, 04 August 2014 - 06:42 PM.

"Dont Believe what People on the Internet Say" and that always True Folks :) (and this will be one of my last post on this thread :)).

Here an Interview with the President of Rockstar Games (and it Studios),Sam Houser:

What does that have to do with anything? And your other posts, too. How does the fact that they have "the 4th Best-Selling Game Franchise in the Gaming Industry," and a "MEGA BLOCBUSTER IP" mean that they treat their employees well and it's a positive work environment? SMH.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was true, because I'm sure every company has some employees that feel this way. 

• Zee, HaythamKenway, matajuegos01 and 1 other like this

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

GTA V totally looks like a game made by people who are afraid of their work.

• PulpFiction, Drunken Cowboy, Judicious 7 and 2 others like this

N3RD4L1F3
  • N3RD4L1F3

Player Hater

• New Members
  • England

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:57 PM Edited by N3RD4L1F3, 04 August 2014 - 07:35 PM.

The person that you have quoted used to work at the San Diego branch of Rockstar so we don't know what the other branches are like.

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:55 AM

What does that have to do with anything? And your other posts, too. How does the fact that they have "the 4th Best-Selling Game Franchise in the Gaming Industry," and a "MEGA BLOCBUSTER IP" mean that they treat their employees well and it's a positive work environment? SMH.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was true, because I'm sure every company has some employees that feel this way. 

Because he's a blind fanboy who sees Rockstar as gods and GTA as their holy creation that is to guide humans trough life or something like that.

@Blood-Is-in-Diamond  Seriously, are you ever going to tire from citing gta wikia on things that you didn't know previously and proclaiming GTA/Rockstar's greatness? Are you ever going to realize they are just a bunch of people who create games (good games, but games and nothing more than that) and that the whole thing is a business?

• Zee, PhilosophicalZebra, Drunken Cowboy and 1 other like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

The Man Who Sold the World

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:26 AM Edited by SFPD officer, 05 August 2014 - 08:29 AM.

R* are pretty infamous for the work ethic. And this isn't something that started happening in last couple of years. The book, Jacked: The Outlaw Story of Grand Theft Auto, outlined pretty well how R* worked and still work and according to it, that this has been happening since Vice City. Constant crunch, enormous pressure from the management, people acting like entitled jackas*es... If I remember it correctly, there were at least two suicides at R* as a result of this atmosphere. Co-founders of R*, Terry Donovan, Jamie King and Gary Foreman actually left the company because of Housers' behavior.

Remember that time San Diego employees stood up and called R* NYC "an eye of Sauron"? R* didn't even try to apologize or explain things. Nope, they did this.

http://kotaku.com/54...ll-wont-comment

So, yeah, R* is no Valve and Sam Houser is no Gabe Newell. I have to admit that I do feel a little ashamed for supporting these practices by buying their games. But what can I do? Not buy them? They are too good for that.

• Osho, Drunken Cowboy, BLOOD-MOND and 3 others like this

Cyberzone2
  • Cyberzone2

Zee's assistant and Resident Troll

• Members

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:09 AM

This is old news

That article is from 2009 .
  • BLOOD-MOND likes this

Mr.Nedich
  • Mr.Nedich

"HEY DALLAS! FOLLOW ME!"

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

You know, with work conditions like those, maybe that's why IV and V's takes on the world in the writing is so bitter and cynical....

Legomanarthur
  • Legomanarthur

We all want peace! But my peace, not their f*cking peace

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:24 AM

I guess that's the main reason why some of R* games like GTA V for example took so many time to be made. Poor management, Rage Engine seems very limited (some former employees complained about it), and the fact that some devs don't know if their work are gonna be used in the game or deleted because they don't even know what R* is planning. Stress and frustration are caused by these things to some employees who can't work properly with these conditions which is understandable to me.

Bi0ha2ard_q8
  • Bi0ha2ard_q8

Scam Artist

• Members
  • Kuwait

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:28 AM Edited by Bi0ha2ard_q8, 05 August 2014 - 10:29 AM.

@Blood is in Diamond

The bigger the IP gets the less risk they'll be taking with it, sadly leading to the series' demise.

@OT

Well I never thought that Rockstar was made out of sunshine and rainbows. And I bet they're paid well and guaranteed a career after working there. its interesting what the developer is saying about the Engine, Rage, though. Is that still applicable? According to the lead designer the new engine is a new monster of a machine.

I think its true what he's saying about limited creativity stemming from pressure and a totalitarian vision, I could definitely see that in GTA V, monotonous really.

N3RD4L1F3
  • N3RD4L1F3

Player Hater

• New Members
  • England

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:12 PM

the new engine is a new monster of a machine.

What was wrong with it in the first place?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users