Quantcast

» «
Photo

Will there ever be another crime game to compete with GTA?

52 replies to this topic
Zackyoung1
  • Zackyoung1

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:05 AM Edited by Voodoo, 04 August 2014 - 12:47 PM.

So I was thinking about playing another game besides GTA that was open-world and crime centered and I couldn't think of any other game that is close to the quality or level of fun GTA has. So what I'm curious is if there will ever be another game that can go toe to toe with R*'s prize title, I feel as if any company were to start a crime game everyone would deem it a rip off of GTA. Plus there isn't too many companies that can dish out 250 million dollars for a game, but what do you guys/girls think, can another studio pull of a unique crime game?

I think they should do another True crime game based on crime in the united states, have the map the size of The Crew but scaled down for graphics such as The Division.

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

AKA: BLOOD,BiiD or BloodMOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

GTA will always dominate that Genre (Sub-Genre) and there is always going to be competitions from all corner...

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

Yellow Car!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:49 AM Edited by The7thOne, 04 August 2014 - 09:50 AM.

In my opinion, no. Rockstar is too good for other developers. Not one game has come to the level of detail and quality of GTA (Crime genre speaking)

• poklane and Blood-Is-in-Diamond like this

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

GTAF's #1 Trevor hater.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

I could see it happening one day, despite what Rockstar's fanboys might say, there on other developers that are on the same level as them in terms of game quality. GTA will be hard to overtake though since it's such a solidified name in the sandbox genre, but a future competitor isn't completely out of the question for sure. 

• MadMugen and Blood-Is-in-Diamond like this

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:00 AM Edited by Killerdude8, 04 August 2014 - 10:02 AM.

Without trying to sound like TOO much of a dick sucking fanboy, GTA has been going long and strong for over 17 years, Seventeen Years In those 17 years there have been many games to try and beat GTA, yet none have actually succeeded.

Maybe something will come along and end it all, but seeing how Devs make games now? I don't see anything touching it until some kind of massive reform in the game developer area.

Stop trying to suck the money out of things and make a quality product.

• Blood-Is-in-Diamond likes this

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:04 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 04 August 2014 - 10:07 AM.

I could see it happening one day, despite what Rockstar's fanboys might say, there on other developers that are on the same level as them in terms of game quality. GTA will be hard to overtake though since it's such a solidified name in the sandbox genre, but a future competitor isn't completely out of the question for sure. 

As a GTA and R*Fanboy lol,i still agree with this but for a Franchise that have sold a whopping 185ml copies,broke 10GWRs,It Critically and Financially successful and with every new installment it gets Strong and Innovative (lol GTAO alone is a new Money-Maker for Take2) that will take years,maybe when GTA is in it late 20s (post-2017).

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

GTAF's #1 Trevor hater.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:10 AM

Oh that's for sure without a doubt, there's no way a new open-world crime series takes GTA down in terms of popularity in just a few years. It'll be a long time, but I never rule anything out completely in the gaming world. Just look at Nintendo, they were on top of the world 20 years back and flash forward to the late 90's early 2000's and they were getting beat badly in console sales by the PS1 and then PS2. Another example being how Sega was a huge system seller and now they don't even make gaming consoles.

• The7thOne likes this

tuareg
  • tuareg

that aaaaain't workin, that's the way you do it

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

In my opinion saints row came close to that level! Had they managed to keep it toned down instead of it being so over the top it could have rivaled GTA as a real crime game. I mean it is a crime game, it's just so ridiculous at times that it doesn't feel that way.

But hell i would not be surprised if the next SR capitalizes on most of the things GTAV messed up/didn't take full advantage of!

reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:54 AM Edited by reform, 04 August 2014 - 10:58 AM.

There could be. Probably not in the next 6-8 years though.

All it would need is a better multiplayer system, better customisation, and most importantly, a "world" that's even close to as good as GTAV's (or whatever the location of the GTA at the time would be)

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:56 AM

In my opinion saints row came close to that level! Had they managed to keep it toned down instead of it being so over the top it could have rivaled GTA as a real crime game. I mean it is a crime game, it's just so ridiculous at times that it doesn't feel that way.

But hell i would not be surprised if the next SR capitalizes on most of the things GTAV messed up/didn't take full advantage of!

If Saints Row had started in 1997 like the Original GTA or even in 1999 as GTA2 that would have been a different story but it started when GTA was already releasing it 10th Game in 2006 (a prequel to Vice City) and already change the Landscape of that Genre...with that said,Saints Row after the first two games wasnt a "Clone" anymore,more like a Parody of the Genre and pop-culture.It might not be BIG or Popular as GTA but then it the only IP after GTA that is Critically Acclaimed in the Openworld Genre.

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

Unnecessary poll removed. Discussion is better.

CjLosSantos
  • CjLosSantos

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

saints row, watch dogs,sleeping dogs. there is a few there he'll saints row alone has iv titles

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

Gimme a millinionaire budget and a developement team and you can bet on it I’d make a better crime game than GTA.

Humorous part aside, which is characteristic of R*, I don’t think it would be impossible to beat the current GTA games, of course, with the proper team and budget.

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

The Mafia series is pretty damn close to being better than GTA in my honest opinion.

Vanto
  • Vanto

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

There will be, of course. There will be some time when one or more of Rockstar's key developers will leave the company, the series will fall apart, and a new IP will become popular.

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:12 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 04 August 2014 - 02:15 PM.

The Mafia series is pretty damn close to being better than GTA in my honest opinion.

Do you mean in terms of Gameplay Features (Innovation/Settings/Humour) or Critically and Financially successful?

Fun Fact: GTA,Mafia and Red Dead are all owned by Take2 (Parent Company of Publishers' Rockstar and 2K Games :)) so they have the Mega-Blockbuster and Legendary GTA,Then the Popular Western and Historical Red Dead and then the Popular Realistic Openworld Mafia...

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

Saints Row was up there. Then SR the Third happened.

SR2 was just as good if not better than GTA IV.
  • Xyn and Blood-Is-in-Diamond like this

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

Do you mean in terms of Gameplay
Yes.

J-B
  • J-B

Syrup Drenched

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

Saints Row was, in my opinion. Then they decided to steer more towards fantasy than crime, which doesn't suit my tastes to say the least.

Shmoopy
  • Shmoopy

Thug (͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

True Crimes : NYC had in my opinion a better gameplay than Grand Theft Auto , shame that they stopped developing the series .

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:57 PM

True Crimes : NYC had in my opinion a better gameplay than Grand Theft Auto , shame that they stopped developing the series .

Sleeping Dogs is the True Crime series.

Johan
  • Johan

San Francisco Giants 2014 World Champions

• The Yardies
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

Obviously, there's always competitors and most of the time they end up being better than one of R*'s titles, but they never capitalize on it and end up downgrading or not making a sequel.

Why So Serious
  • Why So Serious

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

I believe that there will be games even better than the next gta games but no one will buy them because gta is such a big name in the industry that everyone will forget this innovative awesome realistic 240 fps/4k game for gta 22 electric boogaloo because of the brand name. I played saints row 2 more than gta 4 and almost as much as 5 but not as much people bought it that bought gta 4 because brand name.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

Nope. IMO, there hasn't been a single game that could even scratch the surface of GTA, SR2 was a tad close to GTA IV but was still not good enough to compete in terms of graphics and story. The gameplay however was one of the best you would see.

Nowadays, companies are very greedy and don't put a lot of effort into it compared to PS2 era. So GTA will always reign the throne.

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:57 PM

Nope. IMO, there hasn't been a single game that could even scratch the surface of GTA, SR2 was a tad close to GTA IV but was still not good enough to compete in terms of graphics and story. The gameplay however was one of the best you would see.

Nowadays, companies are very greedy and don't put a lot of effort into it compared to PS2 era. So GTA will always reign the throne.

True words bro...

TommyBellic13
  • TommyBellic13

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:13 PM Edited by TommyBellic13, 07 August 2014 - 02:10 AM.

Saints Row 2 actually managed to split the open world fanbase up a bit and I can see saints row doing the same thing again if they get serious maybe WD if they get their sh!t together. Im really excited to see if Mafia 3 will open things up I think it could be REALLY good

DavenWolf
  • DavenWolf

Im a real american

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

Sleeping dogs there is also sleeping dogs 2 coming out and they will continue on.

poklane
  • poklane

So now what?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

I can see Sleeping Dogs becoming a huge series.

Zackyoung1
  • Zackyoung1

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:53 PM

Sleeping dogs was like just cause 2 in hong kong, it was fun but can't compete with GTA.

TheBlackPeterParker.
  • TheBlackPeterParker.

616 Hero.

• Members

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:49 AM

If someone could make a crime RPG like Skyrim or Oblivion and had the right vehicle handling, then yes, easily.

• Jeone likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users