Darko's plot line was broken

14 replies to this topic
Protocol_10
  • Protocol_10

Genius

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

Niko arrives in Liberty City and mentions "looking for someone" (without directly mentioning him) a few times early in the game and then when Bernie shows up they mention him a few times and then the mission That Special Someone comes around a few missions later. It seemed like Darko's plot in the main story went in and out until the last moment where he appeared and we basically learned what he did for the first time. I don't know, it may just be me.

fefenc
  • fefenc

All are equal no discrimination, Son of a Gun, a simple equation

• BUSTED!
  • Brazil

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:18 PM Edited by fefenc, 03 August 2014 - 08:19 PM.

I've expected a big boss fight against Darko, but when I met him, I got impressed because his live was even more f*cked and worthless than Niko's one.

This caught me and when I killed him, I've felt myself a little guilty because I could see Niko on him, his plot was genial, Florian Cravic's plot by other hand... :\

• ddyoung, universetwisters, Bi0ha2ard_q8 and 1 other like this

PhilosophicalZebra
  • PhilosophicalZebra

Eh.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:25 PM Edited by PhilosophicalZebra, 03 August 2014 - 08:27 PM.

Niko mentions to Roman many times in the first part of the game that he's in Liberty City to look for Darko, though he doesn't mention him by name. After killing Vlad, Niko tells him the full story of how he was betrayed in the military and and he's in LC to track down either Florian Cravic or Darko Brevic, and he knows that at least one of them are in the city. He doesn't care how many lives he ruins to get to the culprit, that's all he cares about.

It's not mentioned with anyone else because they're either not relevant to why Niko is in Liberty City, or they wouldn't care. On friend activities with Roman, all they talk about is the war and how America is the Land of Opportunity, but Niko doesn't want to hear it because his only purpose there is to track down the person who betrayed him. When he starts working for the ULPC contact, he still doesn't know if it was Darko or Florian. When Ray Boccino finally tracks Florian down and Niko finds out it wasn't him, he only becomes more determined in tracking down Darko, now knowing without doubt that he was the one who got the twelve soldiers killed. He talks about it with Roman and Darko. He tells Kate and Michelle that he was in the military too, but not that he was betrayed. 

Actually, it's said many times what Darko did. In That Special Someone, it's finally told in full detail, but it was explained plenty before that. Darko's betrayal is the driving event of the game, and the fact that Niko was unable to kill him (or felt empty after doing it) was what made GTA IV special to me. It showed that revenge is not always the answer. Even though Niko spend 15 years seeking it, seeing how broken Darko was made him feel that leaving him would be a worse fate than dying.

• Nonpareil1983, Donut and LanaDelRey888 like this

Protocol_10
  • Protocol_10

Genius

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:42 PM Edited by Protocol_10, 03 August 2014 - 08:43 PM.

Niko mentions to Roman many times in the first part of the game that he's in Liberty City to look for Darko, though he doesn't mention him by name. After killing Vlad, Niko tells him the full story of how he was betrayed in the military and and he's in LC to track down either Florian Cravic or Darko Brevic, and he knows that at least one of them are in the city. He doesn't care how many lives he ruins to get to the culprit, that's all he cares about.

It's not mentioned with anyone else because they're either not relevant to why Niko is in Liberty City, or they wouldn't care. On friend activities with Roman, all they talk about is the war and how America is the Land of Opportunity, but Niko doesn't want to hear it because his only purpose there is to track down the person who betrayed him. When he starts working for the ULPC contact, he still doesn't know if it was Darko or Florian. When Ray Boccino finally tracks Florian down and Niko finds out it wasn't him, he only becomes more determined in tracking down Darko, now knowing without doubt that he was the one who got the twelve soldiers killed. He talks about it with Roman and Darko. He tells Kate and Michelle that he was in the military too, but not that he was betrayed. 

Actually, it's said many times what Darko did. In That Special Someone, it's finally told in full detail, but it was explained plenty before that. Darko's betrayal is the driving event of the game, and the fact that Niko was unable to kill him (or felt empty after doing it) was what made GTA IV special to me. It showed that revenge is not always the answer. Even though Niko spend 15 years seeking it, seeing how broken Darko was made him feel that leaving him would be a worse fate than dying.

Yeah true. I just meant not directly referenced or any moments with Niko and Roman having a conversation about him or whatever. But your point is great.

EDIT: "Conversations" or "reference" means like a cutscene dedicated to it and giving it a solid explanation, which That Special Someone did, but I mean earlier in the game. It's hard to explain. :lol:

Mr.Nedich
  • Mr.Nedich

"HEY DALLAS! FOLLOW ME!"

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

For me, I don't see how people think Niko killing Dark is 'closure'. Niko comes off much more at peace when you spare him. Frustrated, but more in tune with his thoughts. Killing him, Niko just sounds like a robot.

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The X

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

I've always had the thought that Niko presumed Florian was guilty before he got to Liberty City.

Donut
  • Donut

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:52 PM

As PhilosophicalZebra said, Niko's intentions and the Darko plot line is referenced a lot in the dialogue in cutscenes and friend hangouts. In my opinion, Darko's plot was a great one, with That Special Someone being one of the GTA franchise's best moments. Maybe THE best. For so long we had protagonists who got what they wanted, Claude got Revenge, Tommy took over VC, CJ wanted to make a name for himself, etc, etc. But with Niko, he wanted revenge so bad that it ate him up inside and became the reason he can kill without feeling anything. And when he finally has the chance to get revenge, it's not what he wanted. Either choice, killing or sparing Darko, isn't what Niko wanted. Whether he knew he wasn't going to get what he wanted is another story. The moment when Niko's voice cracks saying "you killed my friends for $1000 dollars" or when the camera pans out with Niko staring off into the distance, right before the gameplay decision to kill/spare Darko comes up - those are some chilling moments.

• Duxfever, PhilosophicalZebra, esato and 2 others like this

Protocol_10
  • Protocol_10

Genius

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:35 AM

As PhilosophicalZebra said, Niko's intentions and the Darko plot line is referenced a lot in the dialogue in cutscenes and friend hangouts. In my opinion, Darko's plot was a great one, with That Special Someone being one of the GTA franchise's best moments. Maybe THE best. For so long we had protagonists who got what they wanted, Claude got Revenge, Tommy took over VC, CJ wanted to make a name for himself, etc, etc. But with Niko, he wanted revenge so bad that it ate him up inside and became the reason he can kill without feeling anything. And when he finally has the chance to get revenge, it's not what he wanted. Either choice, killing or sparing Darko, isn't what Niko wanted. Whether he knew he wasn't going to get what he wanted is another story. The moment when Niko's voice cracks saying "you killed my friends for $1000 dollars" or when the camera pans out with Niko staring off into the distance, right before the gameplay decision to kill/spare Darko comes up - those are some chilling moments.

This.

• Donut likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:10 AM

I've expected a big boss fight against Darko...

I was thinking the same thing about Darko the first time I played it, especially coming back from the III era into the IV era, what with the boss battles in those games. I always thought Niko would meet Darko along with a bunch of other Russian mobsters because Darko teamed up with Dmitri or some sh*t like that. Then I got to that mission and I was like "okay".

• fefenc likes this

confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

carver ftw!!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

yes that part of the story was interesting. to bad florian or darko wasent in gta 5. it would be awsome to see what there up to. i also wish darko could have had a random encounter like clarence or ivan if you spare him and maybe he does something to make it up to niko or he has a gun and niko fights him.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

Thank God none of them wasn't in V as even more characters would be ruined, not to mention that there would be some problems with Darko being anywhere. I liked both of the endings for Darko and I don't think any changes could be done to them. 

Payne
  • Payne

f*ck you

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:08 PM

This
  • Donut likes this

TheFunkyBunch
  • TheFunkyBunch

5 Ft 8 Of Pure Sexiness

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:23 AM Edited by TheFunkyBunch, 07 August 2014 - 03:25 AM.

Ehhh a boss ending ? sorry but f*ck that the  Special Someone Scene was absolute Perfection.

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

Seeing all this, what was the right decision? Kill Darko, or let him live?? I still can't find myself the right answer. I killed him, but then again I thought keeping him alive would be better, but after that I thought killing him would be better because he deserved it. What was the right call?

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

Seeing all this, what was the right decision? Kill Darko, or let him live?? I still can't find myself the right answer. I killed him, but then again I thought keeping him alive would be better, but after that I thought killing him would be better because he deserved it. What was the right call?

I've always felt Niko would've let him live to let him suffer rather than giving him the easy way out, but nonetheless Darko's execution is brutal and amazing to watch IMO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users