Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why do GTA games take so long to make nowadays?

45 replies to this topic
Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

Prankster

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

I think it's still the old team working on GTA, or atleast the majority of the crew, many names appear again.

Then, who was so stupid and told them to make the game... worse? At least when it comes to vehicles, radiostations, talkshows, humor, plot.

I think VC and SA are part of main series just like IV and V,  I mean - they are cannon to GTA III and then suddenly GTA IV comes with everything new, it's like new game.

• B Dawg likes this

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

Happy 1st Birthday GTA V

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:29 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 04 August 2014 - 11:30 AM.

I think it's still the old team working on GTA, or atleast the majority of the crew, many names appear again.

Then, who was so stupid and told them to make the game... worse? At least when it comes to vehicles, radiostations, talkshows, humor, plot.

I think VC and SA are part of main series just like IV and V,  I mean - they are cannon to GTA III and then suddenly GTA IV comes with everything new, it's like new game.

As Phoenix has said before and i am going to say one last time,They are NOT,they are Subtitled Games (aka Spin-offs) unlike the Original,2,III,IV and V,like i also said before VC and SA were so Successful and Popular as spin-off games they are also considered Majors like the numbered main games...also Aaron Garbut and Leslie Benzies have been have been with Rockstar Since since III was released 13yrs ago and also did V,and the humour is sh*t cus you are probably growing up or that something to do with the HD Era.

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

I think a spin-off game on the PS Vita is needed.

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

Prankster

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

Then R* should make only spin offs, because these are usually better than original GTA game, lol.

Blood-Is-in-Diamond
  • Blood-Is-in-Diamond

Happy 1st Birthday GTA V

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

Then R* should make only spin offs, because these are usually better than original GTA game, lol.

GTA changed Openworld Games with it 3rd Main Game (III-2001) at the start of the Century,it set a Benchmark for HD games with it 4th Main Game (IV-2008) and it broke records while it 5th Main Game didnt only break Historical Records,but it brought an evolution of a never before seen Singleplay to the table,and it gave birth to GTAO (the most financial successful MMO-type online in modern history) which will also help between the Long Period without a new installment (Main/Spin-offs).

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:57 PM

Because the latest games were set in modern times, that's why the humor was worse.
And the plots aren't worse. SA has a terrible plot and VC's is just OK. GTA IV and even V were better than that.
  • Im2akillerfish and Blood-Is-in-Diamond like this

Im2akillerfish
  • Im2akillerfish

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

I think Vice City and San Andreas are some kind of "Spin-Sequels". Something similar happened with Assassins Creed. There was the Start (AC2) Then came two games that expanded on the first, but weren't numbered (Brotherhood, Revelations.)  Although they didn't really advance the series they are fun to play. After these Spin-Sequels the series got refreshed, and cut some of the features that the past games had.

On Topic: I think V took so long to make because it was most likely quite different at first. (Please note that things below are mostly just speculation and rumors)

Originally, there was only one protagonist, Michael. He was quite a lot older, as seen on trailer 1. I can actually see old Michael walking on Vinewood boulevard with slighty improved NG graphics.

There was a lot of more details and Graphics were different, about NG level. But as the game evolved, more stuff was added (Multiple Protagonists), so they had to remove something to make the game run smooth. Basically, they spent a lot of time making something that they had to remove later, which also took long to do. They had to create the Models, add them in the world, Code the missions, side missions. (Theres a picture with apparently cut features somewhere on this forum. R* had these features made which took a lot of time...)

RDR was a bit similar. They started doing it back in 2005, and judging from old trailers, they started all over with it a couple of times.

That's my theory anyway.

• Blood-Is-in-Diamond likes this

Kevert
  • Kevert

Ain't criminality exhilarating?

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

Even though technical leaps from the the 3D era explain a longer wait, I still agree that we should get another GTA in the next 2-3 years. GTA has gotten so big now that the funding and manpower are much higher than what was previously in the series so that should be speeding up the process. I have long believed at this point though that the work rate at R* is very casual. Yes they'll give us good games but we'll have to wait long and expect delays on top of that. That's how they are nowadays.

dillono
  • dillono

PROUD to be a white heterosexual male!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

I dunno, maybe an extremely large open-world, with tons of interiors, a detailed ocean floor, collectibles, all without loading screen might be a hint.

Phoenix_Shit
  • Phoenix_Shit

Keep calm and remember my... Uhhh NAMEEEE

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:49 AM Edited by Phoenix_Shit, 17 August 2014 - 10:49 AM.

The next main game will take atleast 5 years to make, I hope Rockstar releases some DLC prequels or something like that at the time. If not, it would make the HD era kinda short: with the main games being: GTA IV, GTA TLAD, TBOGT, and V (exluding chinatown wars, and two being DLC's) With the 3D era having: GTA III, GTA VC, GTA SA, GTA LCS, and GTA VCS (exluding Advance)

Son of Zeus
  • Son of Zeus

Grove4Life

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

The next gta will come out in 3 years, or maybe even 2. Because R* has now mastered the RAGE engine.

FIBagent
  • FIBagent

was on CIA but ban quit .

• BUSTED!
  • Bhutan

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

Because they don't like to rush it like they do Call of Duty.

Not only that but the technical gap between III-era games isn't as significant as the ones in HD-era games. Vice City was originally going to be an expansion pack for GTA 3, which is why it didn't take too long to make.

forget CoD , there is great games coming this year and some of them already there , i think rockstar should delay gta 6 in less than 1 year , cuz other games gonna cover up gta v .

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

Prankster

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:08 PM Edited by Queen Elizabeth II, 17 August 2014 - 12:08 PM.

Because the latest games were set in modern times, that's why the humor was worse.

Worst excuse ever.

RandomStunt
  • RandomStunt

Don't hate the little man cuz he's packing a six shooter

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

And where's the hurry anyway?

"Becuz im 14 an i need da jeeteeay 2 be da koolist kid nigga on da blok"

But seriously though, that kind of stuff is like cancer. Of course, I'd like the next GTA as quickly as the next guy, but I don't want them to lose quality for the sake of time.

Last time I checked the "rushed" Vice City and San Andreas are the GOAT GTAs.

goat gtas? is this a bad pun or a typo of GOTY?

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:15 PM Edited by Andreas, 17 August 2014 - 02:17 PM.

It takes a lot more time and money today to create a game of the scale of GTA. The 3D-era games were easier to create, not only because they were graphically not as advanced as modern games are but because they were using Renderware, a third-party game engine. It took two years to create GTA III, one year to create Vice City and two years to create San Andreas. Renderware had existed for many years and it was very flexible; it was used in a multitude of games in various genres. And to add to that, the graphics aren't everything that evolved over the years, there are also the mechanics, the physics, the Artificial Intelligence, and many more things that were bound to change.

GTA IV was like III in a number of ways. It was the start of a new console generation, and the fact that Renderware no longer existed meant that Rockstar either had to license a new third-party engine, or they needed to work on their own engine. I assume they went with the latter because there were no engines that were good enough for their games. That or it was too expensive. Not that this is a bad thing though, the advantage of an in-house game engine is that it allows for a higher level of optimization. IV was the first open world game to use RAGE, so it was optimization-wise not great. But it was good enough and the engine got better over time, as evidenced by games like RDR, Max Payne 3 and GTAV.

Obviously it doesn't only depend on the engine. Another important factor that needs to be considered is whether the developer wants to deliver a high quality experience for the player. Rockstar is an ambitious developer that wants to raise the bar with each title they release, and this takes time. That's why it took four years to create IV and five years to create V.

I have a feeling that they didn't quite know what to do with V. The final game was very different to the build we have seen in the 2011 debut trailer. There were a lot of changes during these couple of years, and there were even more of them in the years prior to the announcement. The beta hunt thread clearly shows that many features didn't make the cut, for reasons we don't know and never will know. Who knows, maybe Rockstar is a little too ambitious for their own good. The lack of communication within and between their departments doesn't really help, either.

Breaking Bad
  • Breaking Bad

Yo, Mr White!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:05 PM Edited by Breaking Bad, 17 August 2014 - 03:06 PM.

I would imagine it has something to do with this as well:

gta3_gta4_scripts1.jpg

Didn't they say it just gets bigger with every GTA game? The sight of a script like that is just madness. Not sure if they showed GTA V's, but I bet it was massive. Just imagine what GTA VI's will be like. On topic, I'm glad they take their time with the games, it makes them feel a lot more richer. Whilst there is some bad to GTA V, there is also a lot of good in there. The Map is actually amazing, it's just there could have been more incentive to go out into the country and such. With all the new updated features in Next Gen, I imagine the forest and stuff will look so much better.

Los Santos, whilst small actually feels like a real city, especially from above.

If they just pumped them out like other franchises, I wouldn't be as hyped for them and they wouldn't feel as special. The problem with games like Call of Duty now is they've stopped feeling special and like big releases. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users