Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why do GTA games take so long to make nowadays?

45 replies to this topic
RMolloy24
  • RMolloy24

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas were all amazing games made in the space of three years. Nowadays, we have to wait four to five years for the next GTA. Why is that?

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

Because they don't like to rush it like they do Call of Duty.

Not only that but the technical gap between III-era games isn't as significant as the ones in HD-era games. Vice City was originally going to be an expansion pack for GTA 3, which is why it didn't take too long to make.

• BLOOD-MOND likes this

Loc14
  • Loc14

King of Los Santos

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

Not only that but the technical gap between III-era games isn't as significant as the ones in HD-era games. Vice City was originally going to be an expansion pack for GTA 3, which is why it didn't take too long to make.

Exactly.

And where's the hurry anyway?

V came 5 years after IV, and how many records it broke? Many.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

"Becuz im 14 an i need da jeeteeay 2 be da koolist kid nigga on da blok"

But seriously though, that kind of stuff is like cancer. Of course, I'd like the next GTA as quickly as the next guy, but I don't want them to lose quality for the sake of time.

• Failure, OneManCrimeWave, ClaudX and 1 other like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Union Of Flesh And Machine

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:33 PM Edited by B Dawg, 03 August 2014 - 06:35 PM.

Exactly.

V came 5 years after IV, and how many records it broke? Many.

Yet still some people prefer SA and IV over V. They had so much time and yet we had a downgrade in quality.

• Nonpareil1983, MetalMilitia89 and LeopardGecko like this

RMolloy24
  • RMolloy24

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:38 PM

But seriously though, that kind of stuff is like cancer. Of course, I'd like the next GTA as quickly as the next guy, but I don't want them to lose quality for the sake of time.

Last time I checked the "rushed" Vice City and San Andreas are the GOAT GTAs.

• vengeancehawk likes this

Spadge
  • Spadge

Low Rider

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

Why do we have to wait so long to see a new GTA title ? I'll tell you my son,

because for some people producing a game is money-making, for others it's a passion.

• BLOOD-MOND likes this

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:46 PM Edited by Phoenix_Shit, 03 August 2014 - 07:00 PM.

Well many reasons. For starters, they don't want to rush games and release a GTA every year, like (thanks universetwisters) Call Of Duty, Battlefield, and other games. GTA is now one of the biggest video game franchises of all time, and it needs time, time between making a spin off, and time between making a main title. Also, because of technology evolving, and it takes time to make an awesome GTA with good graphics, good gameplay, and last but not least: a great storyline. Also, for DLC spinoffs like TLAD and TBOGT, in wich other studios has to help to develop because maybe the main studio is busy making the main title'd GTA.

Also to put it out there: VC and SA are spin offs, but it didn't take so much time for R* to make them now did it? And look how critically successful both of them were, even when they were just spin offs.

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

for others it's a passion.

Not for current team at Rockstar, for sure. Idk who is chief or R* Games but he should fire all these people and hire these who made GTA III, VC..

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

Also to put it out there: VC and SA are spin offs, but it didn't take so much time for R* to make them now did it? And look critically successful both of them were, even when they were just spin offs.

Are VC and SA really spinoffs out of wondering? I always thought stuff like TLAD and TBOGT were like spinoffs.

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:03 PM

Also to put it out there: VC and SA are spin offs, but it didn't take so much time for R* to make them now did it? And look critically successful both of them were, even when they were just spin offs.

Are VC and SA really spinoffs out of wondering? I always thought stuff like TLAD and TBOGT were like spinoffs.

Yep. Both TLAD and TBOGT are also spin offs. Thing is, alot of people think that VC and SA are a part of the main series, but it's not. People think this because of the critical acclaim both Vice City and San Andreas got. Even I thought they were considered a part of the main series.

Main series consists of the numbered ones: GTA, GTA II, GTA III, GTA IV, and GTA V. Hopefully, we get another spin off atleast next year or 2016, or a DLC spin off like TLAD and TBOGT because that seems like the way to do

• BLOOD-MOND likes this

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:06 PM Edited by Dope_0110, 04 August 2014 - 06:15 AM.

1. Because technical advancements have increased time requirements. There are much more objects, animations, textures etc.. to make, and it's all much more complex compared to early 2000 games, which means more time to make and polish.

2. With new games being more complex the main GTA studio also works with other studios on their games, which are all under Rockstar banner, so that takes time, but also allows them to take a break from GTA, as working on one game all the time gets dull.

Aslo, VC and SA are NOT spin offs. Chinatown Wars, Advance and Stories are spin offs.

• Blennerville likes this

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

1. Because technical advancements have increased time requirements. There are much more objects, animations, textures etc.. to make, and it's all moch more complex compared to early 2000 games, which means more time to make and polish.

2. With new games being more complex the main GTA studio also works with other studios on their games, which are all under Rockstar banner, so that takes time, but also allows them to take a break from GTA, as working on one game all the time gets dull.

Aslo, VC and SA are NOT spin offs. Chinatown Wars, Advance and Stories are spin offs.

VC and SA are spin offs. They have a seperate name from a number like GTA V: GTA VICE CITY, and GTA SAN ANDREAS. Chinatown wars. advance and Stories are also spin offs, obviously. 

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

1. Because technical advancements have increased time requirements. There are much more objects, animations, textures etc.. to make, and it's all moch more complex compared to early 2000 games, which means more time to make and polish.

VC and SA are spin offs. They have a seperate name from a number like GTA V: GTA VICE CITY, and GTA SAN ANDREAS. Chinatown wars. advance and Stories are also spin offs, obviously. 

What exactly makes them spin offs? They have the same status as the rest of the series and they don't have any "gimmick" that makes them different than a numbered title, like the mobile games do.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Union Of Flesh And Machine

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

Then we need more spin-offs. They make numbered GTAs look like sh*t :p

• matajuegos01, Blennerville and LeopardGecko like this

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

@Phoenix_sh*t

Just because you can't grasp that not every game in the main series has to be named 1,2,3,4,5 doesn't make them spin offs. I guess for some it's too hard, and the simple 1,2,3,4,5 model is a must.

I've already explained this in another thread today, a spin off is something that is separated from the main series either by being a sub story in an overarching story, often focusing on a side character (which can't happen in GTA because every story is a self contained story, and while there are connections between some of them, there is no one main character and an overarching story about him), or in case of video games it's often by releasing spin offs in a different format like handheld consoles or phones.

VC and SA are in every possible regard main games. They are a full game, with a full story that doesn't depend on any other GTA and are released on major platforms like every game in the main series.

• universetwisters, OneManCrimeWave and jeanrjm like this

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:29 PM Edited by Blennerville, 03 August 2014 - 08:33 PM.

the irony!!!

GTA VC has more quality than GTA4 or GTA5.

The real answer is that R* focused too much on pointless details this gen - they went over the top with realism and the result is that it takes longer.

They also put too much strain on themselves by setting the graphics bar too high - it takes a lot of time to get things working well on the current systems at that high graphics level.

Also they TRY!! to make these epic stories like it a blockbuster movie or something - which also takes time.

Its R* own doing basically.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

They also put too much strain on themselves by setting the graphics bar too high - it takes a lot of time to get things working well on the current systems at that high graphics level.

I'd say this is the big reason. I know around 2006ish when Vice City Stories came out, it had nearly the same graphics as III did but with some tweaks here and there, whereas other games released around that time had IV quality graphics.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:37 PM

It kind of Weird and at the same time amazing how the Main Numbered Games have a wide gap between each other with the exception of the first two games (GTA-1997 and GTA2-1999) but III to IV was 7 years 2001-2008,damn with that time period many new franchises including Saints Row and AC was born then from IV to V it was a 5yrs gap 2008-2013 lol Saints Row already had 4 games already and AC getting into it 16th Overall game...but like many said already it great for a BIG and Legendary Franchise like GTA,and that true even Take2 accept that for the future of the franchise with their "Incredible Quality" and "Permanent IP" Plans that why there is GTAO now (2013-Present :p ).

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:45 PM

^ Considering that, I always thought only numbered sequels meant that big sh*t was about to come into the series, i.e.:

*GTA 1 - The first GTA

*GTA 2 - Respect system

*GTA 3 - 3D Graphics

*GTA 4 - HD Graphics

*GTA 5 - Multiple protagonists/next generation

• matajuegos01, BLOOD-MOND and FilipCRO like this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:50 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 03 August 2014 - 09:57 PM.

^ Considering that, I always thought only numbered sequels meant that big sh*t was about to come into the series, i.e.:

*GTA 1 - The first GTA
*GTA 2 - Respect system
*GTA 3 - 3D Graphics
*GTA 4 - HD Graphics

True words :) (although GTA2 was also on a next-generation of consoles 6th Gen-Dreamcast).

Side Note:although GTA is the only IP that have two successful and world popular subtitle games;Vice City (2002) and San Andreas...I read that the reason why the former had a Direct Prequel released 4yrs after the Original, Vice City Stories (2006)...I cant think of any other IP that have two major and popular subtitled/spin-off installments :)

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:57 PM

*GTA 1 - The first GTA
*GTA 2 - Respect system
*GTA 3 - 3D Graphics
*GTA 4 - HD Graphics

True words :) (although GTA2 was also on a next-generation of consoles 6th Gen-Dreamcast).

Side Note:although GTA is the only IP that have two successful and world popular subtitle games;Vice City (2002) and San Andreas...I read that the reason why the former had a Direct Prequel released 4yrs after the Original, Vice City Stories (2006)...I cant think of any other IP that have two major and popular subtitled/spin-off installments :)

It was? sh*t, I forgot it was even on the dreamcast, or even that it existed to begin with.

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:01 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 03 August 2014 - 10:02 PM.

^Lol guess i am one of the few people on the forums that grew up with Sega Consoles :p (although i read that on GTA Wiki and Wikipedia :) )

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:13 PM

If Vice City, San Andreas are in the same category (spin offs) like TLAD and TBOGT then TLAD and TBOGT are very, very poor spin-offs...

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:23 PM

If Vice City, San Andreas are in the same category (spin offs) like TLAD and TBOGT then TLAD and TBOGT are very, very poor spin-offs...

NOT LIKE,but have Subtitled Names like VC and SA although the latter two are Categories as "EXPANSION PACK/GAMES" Not "DLC" a legacy which started with 1999's London 1969,The First Ever Console Expansion Pack...with that said,there are so far 4 Expansion Packs in the Franchise and 11 Stand-alone Games excluding GTAO and it Dlcs :)

Note:Geez i need to stop reading too much into GTA WIKI or Game IPs' Histories.

Luddite
  • Luddite

Ho Rider

• Members

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:53 PM

It's got to be easier to make the game with a pre-existing engine.

Starting from scratch with a new one would understably require more work.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:55 PM

Basically people hate Rockstar because they at least try to be original.

Spadge
  • Spadge

Low Rider

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:23 AM

@Queen of England : I think it's still the old team working on GTA, or atleast the majority of the crew, many names appear again.

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:36 AM

Firstly, COD is an absolutely wrong example for understanding the time behind the development of any 'open world' game.
Take 'Skyrim' for example, with around 3-3.5 years, the number of production team and budget amounts to two-digit figure, respectively, the final version STILL ends up buggy on release.
Its not only important to simply create a game, but also spend time working on the quality, to make sure that the quanity of system errors/bugs are small to none in the final build.
Whereas, Rockstar employs a huge team, and suitable budget for the GTA games that made a transition to HD with the technology capable to take advantage of all possibilities, thus vast maps, incredible details and other scope of improvements that let the developers to make a more focused game to meet players expectations.
In short, it takes time. Not specifically as long as five years, each time, since this time improvements to RAGE also took additional time.
I guess, onwards to future titles, they may release around 3.5-4 years, excluding GTA:O, since I'm not sure about the development time that goes into ONLINE, when its no more just multiplayermode, but a separate game itself.
  • BLOOD-MOND likes this

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:04 AM Edited by Phoenix_Shit, 04 August 2014 - 11:07 AM.

@Phoenix_sh*t

Just because you can't grasp that not every game in the main series has to be named 1,2,3,4,5 doesn't make them spin offs. I guess for some it's too hard, and the simple 1,2,3,4,5 model is a must.

I've already explained this in another thread today, a spin off is something that is separated from the main series either by being a sub story in an overarching story, often focusing on a side character (which can't happen in GTA because every story is a self contained story, and while there are connections between some of them, there is no one main character and an overarching story about him), or in case of video games it's often by releasing spin offs in a different format like handheld consoles or phones.

VC and SA are in every possible regard main games. They are a full game, with a full story that doesn't depend on any other GTA and are released on major platforms like every game in the main series.

Yes, and that is what makes VC and SA spin offs. For one, they take place years before the events of GTA III (Wich took place in 01') and they are obviously seperate from the main series. LCS is a prequel to GTA III, and that is a spin off. Look up for yourself, both VC and SA are spin offs from the main series. So is every single GTA outside from 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. Also, they have their own story, this is what a spin off is. It takes place in the same world as the 'main thing', but it has its own story, characters, etc. This is what VC and SA are to GTA III, SPIN OFFS

• BLOOD-MOND likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users