Quantcast

» «
Photo

Has your opinion of Rockstar changed since GTA Online?

77 replies to this topic
SirPhilMcKraken
  • SirPhilMcKraken

QOTD PlayStation Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:10 PM Edited by SirPhilMcKraken, 03 August 2014 - 12:11 PM.

Its no doubt that Rockstar are one of the most respected game developers, pushing the boundaries of open world development and make some engaging, quality games. But since GTA Online's release, theres been nothing but unfulfilled promises, some odd decisions and technical issues, some of which have been around since the beginning and STILL not been resolved almost a year down the line.

Don't get me wrong, I still play GTA Online with my crew mates almost everyday because its a great playground but in terms for actual game content for it, they've gone for quantity over quality. Most of the races and missions aren't particularly special and these days the majority of people do them purely for the money aspect.

I always used to frown down on money glitchers, I earn't my money legitimately by doing jobs and playlists and hated the way that everyone had 10 supercars fully modded when I only had a few street cars fully modded even though I spent more time earning but a few months ago I had had enough. I had played Rooftop Rumble for the billionth time and it just wasn't fun, but tiresome. Its a game, not a full time job. Money glitching bypasses the grind aspect and funds the fun. I wouldn't have too much of an issue with money if things didn't cost incredibly unrealistic amounts. I don't mean cars, I'm talking about clothes and weaponary mainly. I mean, $60k for a firework launcher that we can only buy ammo for on certain occasions?

Also its not uncommon knowledge to know that they have done live streams with known glitchers and promoting, yet they punish us for doing it? What kind of moral standard does that show?

And yes they have listened to use on some things that we have asked for but theres so many things that they don't allow us to do that don't actually harm the game or give an advantage. For example, storing police cars. What is the harm in storing one and even maybe modifying it? Its a car with flashy lights and a special livery, it doesn't exactly give you god mode. Many many people have asked for it, along with military and police uniform but they refuse to budge on the topic.

I had some big respect for Rockstar before and on release of GTA V but this Online part of the game has been handled quite poorly and they have been terrible at communicating with us. They made $1billion in sales, surely they should have fixed the game by now?

I appreciate the free DLC (which may or may not be another cash card pusher) but I would much rather they focus on fixing the game and delivering on past promises before going on any further.

/end long text :p

• JOEsAGGRESSIVE, Officer620, The real coast guard and 14 others like this

Steve
  • Steve

Combat Pistol Marksman

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:15 PM

Compared to San Andreas, they watered down GTA IV and V allot. Hopefully on the PS4/XBox1 versions, they'll add what should've been in the game in the first place. Still great games, but they need to go and have a look at the old recipes that made Vice City, and San Andreas the games they were.

• SirPhilMcKraken, JOEsAGGRESSIVE, StormerBoy and 12 others like this

RDT33
  • RDT33

That Guy from that Thing

• Members
  • United-States

The thing is, no matter how hard they try or say that they might be, Rockstar isn't our friend.  Rockstar is a business, and businesses do what they are meant to do, make money.  I don't fault them for making their money.  Do I wish they would follow through on some promises?  Well yes, but they are doing a fine job.  My opinion has not changed.

• gizmonomono likes this

Dottie
  • Dottie

Crushing your hopes & dreams

• Facade Corporation
  • North-Korea
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Absolutely not

SirPhilMcKraken
  • SirPhilMcKraken

QOTD PlayStation Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

Compared to San Andreas, they watered down GTA IV and V allot. Hopefully on the PS4/XBox1 versions, they'll add what should've been in the game in the first place. Still great games, but they need to go and have a look at the old recipes that made Vice City, and San Andreas the games they were.

Yeah I agree. Its become a bit too realistic and its taken some of the fun out of it. I like serious undertones but when it comes to realism over fun, they need to shift the marker a bit imo.

marco-polo
  • marco-polo

?

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:16 PM Edited by marco-polo, 03 August 2014 - 12:19 PM.

Unfortunately you've mentioned glitches and added your opinion, which will mean this will turn to sh*t thanks to that.

I've been a bit disappointed with their decisions and lack of content, the heist thing is so far gone that i couldn't give a sh*t anymore, the supporting glitchers thing is pretty backwards, the prices and in my opinion the lack of stuff to do at this point is f*cked.

It's addictive, and a great game, but if they don't improve then they will lose my respect.

• SirPhilMcKraken and JOEsAGGRESSIVE like this

TheEroticCherry
  • TheEroticCherry

Two Steps From Hell

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:23 PM Edited by Flicksy, 03 August 2014 - 12:25 PM.

No,  my opinion on them has not changed. 

They have made some stupid decisions, we all do. They aren't perfect and asking them to be isn't fair. People seem to conveniently forget that it's an army of glitchers, modders, and hackers vs a small team of R* support personnel( I would put their numbers between 40 to 200) trying to fix the problems. Things aren't going to be fixed fast.

This is also R* second attempt at online, no RDR doesn't count since there wasn't really anything glitch, mod, or hackable in that game, GTAO is a BETA. Problems are going to happen.

The communities problem, is that we have been spoiled by multiplayer companies that have built up experience dealing with these problems. R* hasn't.

Edit: I mean common man! R* has 10 GTA games and 2 are online. This is a learning process with them.

• Caysle, Heists, RDT33 and 5 others like this

Coin.
  • Coin.

Some motherf*ckerís always trying to ice skate up hill.

• Feroci
  • Australia
  • Best New Member 2014

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:25 PM Edited by Insert-Coin-To-Continue, 03 August 2014 - 12:25 PM.

Improved*, actually. Primarily because IV's online experience never yielded close to the hours GTA Online has so far.

*That's not to say some things aren't disappointing.

• 33d and FAT CURRY like this

Starscream_910
  • Starscream_910

Undercover Moderator

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Snapmatic 2014

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:27 PM Edited by Starscream_910, 03 August 2014 - 12:33 PM.

@OP... Yes and No :-)

Yes in a sense that I see where your frustration stems from- your points about the unrealistically big price tags, boring/ low payout missions and races etc are all very valid, and many will agree.

But one key fact we have to remember- as much as we love R* for their excellent games, they ARE a profit driven business and not a charity. Hence, their objective, no matter how much you beat around the bush, is to make a profit.

And rightfully so! They work hard and produce excellent goods ^_^

With this in mind, my thoughts on R* have not changed drastically.

They've, in effect, created an entire new dimension to online gaming with GTAO, and it's hard to judge them for it, because there's nothing remotely similar to its expanse to compare it with.
  • SirPhilMcKraken and Nokturn like this

SirPhilMcKraken
  • SirPhilMcKraken

QOTD PlayStation Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:29 PM

I'm not asking them to be perfect, no-one is. I just wish they would fix the problems that have been around for months such as the crate drops and things like that. I understand that companies like EA have much more experience in multiplayer so can react quicker but its just the simple game breaking bugs that I wish would be fixed thats all

Yes in a sense that I see where your frustration stems from- your points about the unrealistically big price tags, boring/ low payout missions and races etc are all very valid, and many will agree.

But one key fact we have to remember- as much as we love R* for their excellent games, they ARE a profit driven business and not a charity. Hence, their objective, no matter how much you beat around the bush, is to make a profit.

They've, in effect, created an entire new dimension to online gaming with GTAO, and it's hard to judge them for it, because there's nothing remotely similar to its expanse to compare it to.

I agree with all of that :)

• Starscream_910 and TheEroticCherry like this

Joekill95
  • Joekill95

Estuans interius...

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

My major complaint is the combat system. RDR aiming just can't work with automatic weapons IMO. I mean, come one man. I just did a gang attack and it takes like, what, 15-20 bullets to kill someone when they can take me down with like 5? That's just bullsh*t right there.

All in all, Online is a good thing. Not a great thing, but good for Rockstar's first attempt at making a true online experience.

But to respond to the topic, my opinion is changing for the worse, simply due to their lack of communication. They need to learn that they have to communicate if they're going to run something like this. This isn't a singleplayer game anymore. They can't just brush off everything and everyone if they want their game to live.

• SirPhilMcKraken and Starscream_910 like this

TheEroticCherry
  • TheEroticCherry

Two Steps From Hell

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

I'm not asking them to be perfect, no-one is. I just wish they would fix the problems that have been around for months such as the crate drops and things like that. I understand that companies like EA have much more experience in multiplayer so can react quicker but its just the simple game breaking bugs that I wish would be fixed thats all

They've, in effect, created an entire new dimension to online gaming with GTAO, and it's hard to judge them for it, because there's nothing remotely similar to its expanse to compare it to.

I agree with all of that :)

I completely agree, it is very frustrating. The crate drop bug is especially annoying when players turn it into a battleground and it never shows.

Off topic: if you want to play a game that has ridiculously priced food and clothes, play Sleeping Dogs. 3k for a damn drink or a bowl of noodles.

• SirPhilMcKraken, RoachKiller_416, Starscream_910 and 1 other like this

SirPhilMcKraken
  • SirPhilMcKraken

QOTD PlayStation Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:39 PM Edited by SirPhilMcKraken, 03 August 2014 - 12:40 PM.

The crew and I had about an hour long battle over it the other day lol

I love Sleeping Dogs xD It didnt cost that much did it? :p

• Legate Meridius and TheEroticCherry like this

33d
  • 33d

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

STILL the greatest game company in my opinion 
no change of opinion 

• Starscream_910 and FAT CURRY like this

TheEroticCherry
  • TheEroticCherry

Two Steps From Hell

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

I love Sleeping Dogs xD It didnt cost that much did it? :p

Lol as do I, even have it on my console. Oooh ya.

StangOne50
  • StangOne50

Get on Up

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

before gtav love R*. 

After gta v   hate R* with a passion lol 

SirPhilMcKraken
  • SirPhilMcKraken

QOTD PlayStation Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

Must be the exchange rate :p The melee system in that game is top notch!

• TheEroticCherry likes this

Zondar
  • Zondar

Puttin' on an iron shirt.......

• Members
  • Ghana

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

My opinion hasn't changed at all.
GTAO is not perfect by any manner of means and my play time has dropped significantly in the last month or two.
However, for an initial outlay of £32 and £36 in cash cards I've had over 4 1/2 days play in SP and about 20 days play in MP.
I really struggle to think of any other form of entertainment than comes close in terms of VFM. Maybe a 50p kindle book from Amazon?

An other reason I may not be disappointed is that long ago I stopped paying any attention to prerelease hype for games, films, books, albums etc. Other than a couple of you tube trailers I had no idea really what I was buying when V came out and I feel my overall experience is better for it.

Arya35
  • Arya35

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

After San Andreas R* just went downhill.

jackjoejim
  • jackjoejim

Bomba-rass!

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:02 PM Edited by jackjoejim, 03 August 2014 - 01:05 PM.

No,  my opinion on them has not changed. 

They have made some stupid decisions, we all do. They aren't perfect and asking them to be isn't fair. People seem to conveniently forget that it's an army of glitchers, modders, and hackers vs a small team of R* support personnel( I would put their numbers between 40 to 200) trying to fix the problems. Things aren't going to be fixed fast.

This is also R* second attempt at online, no RDR doesn't count since there wasn't really anything glitch, mod, or hackable in that game, GTAO is a BETA. Problems are going to happen.

The communities problem, is that we have been spoiled by multiplayer companies that have built up experience dealing with these problems. R* hasn't.

Edit: I mean common man! R* has 10 GTA games and 2 are online. This is a learning process with them.

So many things wrong about this post.

Anyway. I just think online multiplayer is not R* ball park. They just seem to keep failing the majority. Fair enough if they made millions from cash cards, but they could have made more if it wasn't for:

Boring content picked out of the "cut from game bin."
Payouts vs time effort.
A Pay to Win system
Technical issues.

The game also seems years behind because it took them too long to dev & release. The character creator is just disgusting & ancient. A few features copied from saints row 3. And then theres the whole modded liberator image thing.

Sometimes i wish they would just stick to single player. Opinion has changed

fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:38 PM

Don't get me wrong, I still play GTA Online with my crew mates almost everyday because its a great playground but in terms for actual game content for it, they've gone for quantity over quality. Most of the races and missions aren't particularly special and these days the majority of people do them purely for the money aspect.

I think this is an excellent discussion topic and I'm happy you posted it, OP.

For me, I look at it from two very distinct perspectives: Single Player and Online

Single Player:
For the $59.99 bucks I dropped on this game, it went beyond my expectations and is still, arguably, the most brilliant "game" I've ever played, taking the GTA universe to a new level.

Online:
With Online, Rockstar chose to go for the jugular of exploiting gamer addiction and nefariously manipulating an entire in-game world with GTA$ and real-world micro-transactions.

Ever wonder why a paint job in SP costs $2300, but Online it costs $14,800? Ever wonder why the LSPD don't arrest us, like they did in every other GTA game and instead kill you with a one-star level? Because the Online game is designed to drain your Maze Bank account faster than you can earn it. In every aspect of the game, money is the root.

So, the only options are to buy expensive cards, which keep you from buying other games (so you'll keep playing GTAO to "get your money's worth) or cheat/glitch, which Rockstar may not approve of, but which they also could contain much better if they truly wanted to.

Summation:
SP is a brilliant experience, worth the money and time to play it. Rockstar is a hero for this one.
Online is the greedy, money-grubbing, sneaky little brother to SP that makes me look at Rockstar and say, "<insert expletive> YOU!"

If you're interested, there's a ton of research about gamer addition out there. This video is interesting enough to share: 

• SirPhilMcKraken, Bme129, JOEsAGGRESSIVE and 10 others like this

MadeBrazen
  • MadeBrazen

Valiantly Hearty

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

Don't forget they are owned by Take 2, who i would guess is the real driving force behind the ruthless monetary decisions.

I believe R* still has some of the most talented and original developers there, I guess they are restrained by decisions coming down from the top of the tree.

However the story of V left a lot to be desired when compared to the compelling IV and the absolute masterpiece that was RDR.
  • Diesleman and NubcakeVII like this

Shaundi.
  • Shaundi.

I'll rid the world of infestation - Sans Lingua Franca.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

They're one of the most respected game developers. My opinion hasn't changed since Online :) although it had hiccups but what's disappointing is the crate drop glitch which they haven't fixed. They used to be very common before January. Other than that, everything is good :)

Dottie
  • Dottie

Crushing your hopes & dreams

• Facade Corporation
  • North-Korea
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

[omitted to save space]

Well said

livejoker
  • livejoker

Look Deep In My Eyes As I Touch You

• Van Society
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

I see what you're saying, OP, and I agree to some degree. Also, this thread has a lot of GTA IV hate.

Long version:

Spoiler

I feel R* could of done things better. I feel their gaming legitimacy is down quite a lot as they're now mainstream and accommodating too many type of people (non-gamers, kids, hackers). They're too much in the spotlight. I remember R* as those that don't show up to E3 and other events as they're too cool for it. Now I imagine them sitting at the same table as EA with cash cards as the center bouquet. 

• Acegunn, SirPhilMcKraken, JOEsAGGRESSIVE and 5 others like this

cuti8tushu
  • cuti8tushu

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

They're going down hill lol

GR Choke
  • GR Choke

Fun Race Creator

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

nah they still lick dick

jackjoejim
  • jackjoejim

Bomba-rass!

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

MTV - American Idol - Call of Duty - Gta Online - Twerking. These would be things to avoid.

Legate Meridius
  • Legate Meridius

Gold Diggers Commissioner

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

The crew and I had about an hour long battle over it the other day lol

That battle was really fun though  :p

The only change in opinion I've had about R* is to not expect much and be surprised when something good is released.

• SirPhilMcKraken likes this

luisniko
  • luisniko

McWendy's Fried Chicken

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

Since the day Rockstar taking down gta5 leaked footage and called them 'fake', to be precise.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users