Nvidia or AMD for GTA V?

371 replies to this topic
DonMichaelCorleone
  • DonMichaelCorleone

GTA SA>GTA 4>GTA V End of discussion.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:28 AM

Im planning to buy a new graphics card for gta v.what should i buy amd or nvidia?what has the best image quality?what has good performance?

SNIT01
  • SNIT01

MR

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:12 AM Edited by SNIT01, 03 August 2014 - 05:14 AM.

Depends on if the have used any special software from either side. If the rumors are true and V uses mantel then AMD would be the safe bet, however if V uses some like Nvidias game works or Physx then it would be the green team. Something to note is that Nvidias 800 series may be released in september, they are said to be cheap and powerful and will most likely be the first cards that will have FULL DX12 support (current cards will only have partial support).

For more help visit:

http://www.tomshardware.com/

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/

all of these places have great support/help

Geeteeaifive
  • Geeteeaifive

Andrew

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:26 AM

When it comes to gpus u can't go wrong either way. if nvidia didn't had that useless physx it would cost the same as amd probably.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:15 AM

Wait for the GTX 880 and jizz all over your monitor at the god like 1440p+ 60 fps GTA V next gen goodness.

LowiPL
  • LowiPL

Street Cat

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:21 AM

Max Payne 3 runs better on AMD cards... 

• utkarshrajsingh and CriticalCrox like this

Murray Bunyan
  • Murray Bunyan

Trick

• Members

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

I don't think that's true.

• DaRkL3AD3R likes this

_Reghardt_
  • _Reghardt_

Player Hater

• New Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:47 AM

Max Payne 3 runs amazing on my nvidia card...

• DaRkL3AD3R likes this

jdwarfer
  • jdwarfer

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:59 AM Edited by jdwarfer, 03 August 2014 - 08:59 AM.

I don't choose a GC just for a game. It's about money lol...

I have an AMD, it's cheaper and it's good enough, even if physics stuff doesn't run very well.

Murray Bunyan
  • Murray Bunyan

Trick

• Members

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:12 AM Edited by Murray Bunyan, 03 August 2014 - 09:13 AM.

I don't choose a GC just for a game. It's about money lol...

I have an AMD, it's cheaper and it's good enough, even if physics stuff doesn't run very well.

On top of that, very few games utilize PhysX. I'm more than certain that GTA V won't be one of them.

Geeteeaifive
  • Geeteeaifive

Andrew

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

Exactly. amd closed the gab with nvidia significantly. so much in fact that it's worth buying amd cards more. I'd buy either.

wolfdog
  • wolfdog

Just announce it already goddamnit

• Members

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

I recommend NVIDIA, as the previous games were part of the TWIMTBP program. You also get NVIDIA shadowplay to record the game with pretty much no performance impact at all, although you have GTA V's video editor for that.

Pawelo
  • Pawelo

:)

• Members

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

Nvidia all the way.

polosistealth
  • polosistealth

grandtheftauto.RO

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:24 PM Edited by polosistealth, 03 August 2014 - 12:25 PM.

3Dfx FTW :D  3 x VOODOO 5 5500 in SLI and GTA5 @ 640x480  :lol:  epic win

• Spider-Vice likes this

utack
  • utack

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:32 PM Edited by utack, 03 August 2014 - 12:33 PM.

I have AMD because it was really cheap used from a miner.

Nvidia clearly is a little bit better on the software side, but for me it was not worth the extra money.

The Algerian
  • The Algerian

Peon

• Members

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

Max Payne 3 runs amazing on my nvidia card...

Might just run amazing on both.

I have AMD and it might be the best optimized game i've played.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

It'll run great on either. Just like Max Payne 3.

• Vice City criminal likes this

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:52 PM Edited by Andreas, 03 August 2014 - 03:54 PM.

We don't know whether the game will be more optimized for nVIDIA than AMD, or vice versa, or if it will run equally good. Let's assume V will run great on both, which I think sounds the most realistic, it still wouldn't be possible to say which of them the better option is. It depends on the price range and if you plan to play other games as well; if so, then we would need to know which ones and if you are going to make excessive use of certain features. Do you want to record your games? Are CUDA and PhysX of importance for you? And so on and so forth.

GTAV is part of AMD's private beta program, as far as I know, which means the game will be a 'Gaming Evolved' title. In practice that means the PC version will be quite well optimized for AMD cards, but that doesn't mean that NV cards will be neglected. I'm fairly certain that you will have a great experience with both of them. In the end, it doesn't matter if you have a R9 280X or a GTX770, or a R9 290(X) or a GTX780(Ti). They are all great cards, and they should be powerful enough to play this game at maxed out settings.
  • Kevin3014 and utkarshrajsingh like this

DonMichaelCorleone
  • DonMichaelCorleone

GTA SA>GTA 4>GTA V End of discussion.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

what had better image quality amd or nvidia?

MarshallRawR
  • MarshallRawR

Dysthymia is a bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:27 PM

what had better image quality amd or nvidia?

It depends of your monitor, not your GPU.

tomsk222
  • tomsk222

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

GTAV is part of AMD's private beta program, as far as I know, which means the game will be a 'Gaming Evolved' title. In practice that means the PC version will be quite well optimized for AMD cards, but that doesn't mean that NV cards will be neglected. I'm fairly certain that you will have a great experience with both of them. In the end, it doesn't matter if you have a R9 280X or a GTX770, or a R9 290(X) or a GTX780(Ti). They are all great cards, and they should be powerful enough to play this game at maxed out settings.

Source?

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:33 PM

Source?

Have a look here.

As you can see the list has grown, and we have some very cool games coming. The list is divided into 3 groups: games that are released, unreleased, and games that are not yet confirmed to support Mantle, however developers have signed for private AMD beta program.
Games in beta program may or may not support Mantle, but these games will be Gaming Evolved titles for sure. The third group includes GTA5, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, COD:AW and Sleeping Dogs: Triad Wars. Mantle support for GTA5 could be a game-changer for AMD.

MarshallRawR
  • MarshallRawR

Dysthymia is a bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

Source?

Have a look here.

As you can see the list has grown, and we have some very cool games coming. The list is divided into 3 groups: games that are released, unreleased, and games that are not yet confirmed to support Mantle, however developers have signed for private AMD beta program.
Games in beta program may or may not support Mantle, but these games will be Gaming Evolved titles for sure. The third group includes GTA5, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, COD:AW and Sleeping Dogs: Triad Wars. Mantle support for GTA5 could be a game-changer for AMD.

And what's their source about GTA V? The fact that it was mentioned in drivers stuff?

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:37 PM Edited by Xerukal, 03 August 2014 - 05:38 PM.

Mantle is actually friendly towards NVIDIA GPUs, from what I've heard. It obviously doesn't give them a boost, like it does for AMD GPUs. But it plays very nice with NVIDIA's graphics cards. Unlike the "Gameworks" thing NVIDIA has going on some of Ubisoft's games. It practically sabotages AMD's cards, as evidenced by Watch_Dogs.

I've only used NVIDIA GPUs thus far, and I plan to continue to do so with the GTX 780 in my up and coming build. I'll trust in Rockstar to optimize evenly for both, and give AMD that extra boost that they really do need, since NVIDIA has been using some really unnecessarily aggressive tactics lately. f*ck them.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

That post linking GTA V to some AMD beta program is complete FUD. The list GTA V belongs under in that source is completely unconfirmed and speculation. Anyone could toss a AAA title into that list and have the same level of credence. Don't put too much stock into expecting Mantle support. It is NOT drop in and play like some people think. It is a whole new API. Rockstar are not quick to make sweeping changes to their engine as evident by it taking them 5+ years to really get RAGE optimized. I highly doubt they'll go and implement an entirely new API ONLY for the PC on top of it now.

Expect DX11/9 support but nothing else.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:14 PM

S3 Virge.

In all seriousness it's probably well optimised for both. Go for what your money allows.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:29 PM Edited by Andreas, 03 August 2014 - 07:29 PM.

Don't put too much stock into expecting Mantle support.

They said "Games in beta program may or may not support Mantle". This is by no means a confirmation that GTAV will support Mantle. It is a possibility, but it is definitely not certain. But there is a good chance that V is a Gaming Evolved title. And it certainly wouldn't surprise me if that's the case, considering that Max Payne 3 was also Gaming Evolved.

That doesn't automatically mean it supports Mantle, it only indicates that it's well optimized for AMD cards - which is not an indication that will run worse on nVIDIA cards.

We will see.
  • Spider-Vice likes this

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:33 PM Edited by RyanBurnsRed, 03 August 2014 - 07:42 PM.

On top of that, very few games utilize PhysX. I'm more than certain that GTA V won't be one of them.

Very few games? More like quite a handful of games utilize Physx, with more on the way like The Witcher 3. You can also look here.

Go with AMD *if that's what you prefer, but I choose Nvidia because they're the Intel of GPUs. 

hunk41
  • hunk41

Made Man

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

Very few games? More like quite a handful of games utilize Physx, with more on the way like The Witcher 3. You can also look here.

Go with AMD *if that's what you prefer, but I choose Nvidia because they're the Intel of GPUs. 

I wouldn't say that "Intel of GPUs" is a fair comparison.

fefenc
  • fefenc

Luis Lopez is The Best HD era GTA Character Ever Created

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:51 PM Edited by fefenc, 03 August 2014 - 08:54 PM.

AMD >>>>>>>>> NVADIA

NVADIA makes games poorly optimized so they can sell more graphic cards.

AMD by the other hand, optimizes the games for both NVADIA and AMD graphic cards, AMD is better and GTA V will be optimized by AMD and it'll support mantle, NVADIA graphic cards won't support mantle

• Filip454 likes this

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:09 PM Edited by Andreas, 03 August 2014 - 09:16 PM.

I wouldn't say that "Intel of GPUs" is a fair comparison.

Yeah, I also think that is a bit of an exaggeration. If that were true, there would be far less reasons to even consider buying cards like the R9 290/290X, for gaming that is. NV isn't perfect by any means, especially cards like the GTX780Ti are totally overpriced compared to their AMD equivalent - and the performance difference is negligible at best.

AMD makes the better deals in my cases. If you don't care about the number of features that nVIDIA cards offer, then that is one argument less that would speak for them. In that case, these are only things that matter in my view: the performance, the amount of video RAM as well as memory bandwidth, and the price.

When I buy a graphics-card, I don't care which company sells it, or who manufactured it in the first place. I want to get the best bang for the buck; I want a product that suits my needs.

On a side note, AMD processors aren't even as bad as many make it out to be. For example, if you don't have the money for say an i5, and you have to choose between say an i3 3240 and a FX6300, then the latter might be the better option if you are actively using software that benefits from more cores/threads.
  • Murray Bunyan and Doc 1985 like this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users