hell, no, tunnel, no

• Feroci
  • European-Union
  • Best Conversion 2014 [ViIV for GTANY]
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Best Map 2013 [ViceCityStories PC Edition]
    Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:37 PM

The Citizen series of modifications has been known for providing innovative and new ways of doing the exact same things you're used to doing, except in a completely roundabout way, holding to a few basic principles: a) don't take effort when not needed, b) research everything for plausibility and c) go crazy with ideas. In fact, this modification, together with the CitizenFX series for the RAGE-based GTA engine, is what most of my modification work has led up to so far; next to a multiplayer modification purposefully built to enrich boundaries, this is... Citizen:L3.

Even more so, Citizen has been sufficiently popular, that I, Earth's administrator a very lovely person, commonly receive requests for experiments to perform with regards to these items.

One particular lovely person has noted to me the following question, slightly paraphrased for decoration's sake: 'If you'd take multiple games, consume their assets and knot them together to one tight ball of game, will it stick to the ceiling if you throw it upwards with enough force?'

Well, dear lovely person, the answer is in this modification.

Now, what *is* this modification?

This modification, named Citizen:L3 (standing for 'Layer 3') or The End of the Universe (or its codename, Hostility), is the result of thinking with the 'if all you have is a pack of export symbols, everything looks like a hooking point' theory of mind rolled into a metaphysical definition of truth spread across a wide array of defense, tobacco and pharmaceutical investments, to keep your money safe, no matter the cost.

... okay?

WE MET IN A DINER, ABOUT QUARTER TO TWOOOOO
HE LEFT HIS GANG BACK, AT SIXTH AVENUUUUEEEEE
AND WHEN THE WAITRESS ASKED WHAT WILL IT BEEEEE
I SAID THAT MOD CALLED, CITIZEN-YEEE

okay, lights out, presenter comes on stage

TEotU shifts boundaries. It tries to merge worlds together, different eras in the same timeline, the same universe, different missions, different experiences.

In TEotU, the base is not freeroam. It is only one of the experiences you can build, share and/or consume.

TEotU is a massive remix platform based on the GTA III series of games. TEotU is our destiny.

you're still making no sense, pls explain

With L3, the center of your world is the online community of GTA-based remixes people have created with the L3 editor tooling. These remixes, in the first iteration of L3, will consist of anything from a custom-selected series of missions, free-roaming activities and side missions, available in an open world consisting of at the very least the basic worlds from the original GTA III series, which however may be expanded to include other Rockstar open-world areas like Bullworth and integrated portions of the Stories maps.

The modification itself will utilize new technology to attain amazing feats, such as:

- a transparent mission runtime allowing scripts from III and VC to run natively and with near-zero modification on the updated SA codebase, implementing missing commands natively and providing managers for complex things such as pedestrian objectives and coordinate translation
- automated support for III/VC RenderWare assets to be loaded within the game (within certain bounds; such as III 'clump-translated' ped/cutscene models being replaced with Xbox-style skeletal models with an associated native loader and fitting animation fallbacks)
- more models! more texture dictionaries! more collision files! more everything!

In later iterations, and depending on the modification's success, the tooling may be expanded to allow usage of more 'creative' own assets, setting of challenges during missions (including obtaining of certain items/vehicles, minimum/maximum death counts, lack of use of pickups, and other intelligent items), competitive scoring, and whatever people may come up with...

... oh, and did I tell you the community 'start UI' will involve user voting like popular community-sourced news sites have done in recent interwebs history? It's an infinite feed of possibly-great remixes!

also don't mind the lack of teaser screenshots about the map/script compatibility work, I'm kind of making the game work with OpenGL RW and that's taking away most interesting features in the code right now just to have a safe testing environment - just so you know I got the game to render the first half of SA's intro cutscene under OpenGL! :p
  • Platinum Card, Jestic, Frank.s and 9 others like this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

Spilled coffee on Laptop. no more mods

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:01 PM Edited by Ss4gogeta0, 02 August 2014 - 10:07 PM.

ok so from what I can understand, you are basically making a more advanced version of SOL albeit keeping the main games of III, VC, SA through their main scripts while adding them into the same universe (teleporting between III, VC, SA and visa versa) while also adding in custom content support for users and so forth...

my question would be... Is this going to run in the earlier proposed Idea where the game would load each city using the actual game installations? as if say you had GTA 3 installed and the game detected that, would it be able to load the city and scripting through that? or would everything be provided through the actual mod?

btw I like "The Diner" song reference... best song in GTA 2 ;)

• Neddo likes this

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

hell, no, tunnel, no

• Feroci
  • European-Union

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:17 PM

ok so from what I can understand, you are basically making a more advanced version of SOL albeit keeping the main games of III, VC, SA through their main scripts while adding them into the same universe (teleporting between III, VC, SA and visa versa) while also adding in custom content support for users and so forth...

SOL is something that won't be reaching its destined goals in the next 10 years, as it also hasn't in the past ten. Let's work through an example workflow for a player to better explain my goal:

1. The player starts the game. Woo-hoo! They log in through one of the supported services by citizen.re SSO authentication (a local account, Steam or the Rockstar Social Club) for their community access.
2. They end up on a menu which looks a lot like the Reddit (or back in the day, Digg, or whatever) home page, but turned into a big-font game menu - they see a big item saying 'infinite freeroam v69' which has a relatively large amount of votes in the list - said list having a transparent background of a random scene in the game which has probably loaded by then, with the usual CCarCtrl/CPopulation traffic passing them by - and select it.
3. The game restarts, they spawn at the spawn point set for them in the remix (which so happens to be, I don't know, Francis Intl.) next to a set of Mavericks.
4. As they like Vice City, and they like the weapons from there, they fly to Vice (meanwhile seeing traffic containing cars from all the games), and land near, well, North Point Mall. They enter the Ammu-Nation, and the original VC scripts for the Ammu-Nation run in the background, allowing them to, well, buy the gun.
5. The freeroam remix creator also defined some 'freestyle rampages' to play with, so he gets back in the Maverick with his VC weapon, goes to a rampage pickup placed in the nearby Las Venturas, and, well, plays the rampage, with his VC weapon, killing a heap of peds on the way, and having fun.

Another idea of a remix could be a random collection of 'missions Ken Rosenberg appears in' consisting of a normal-looking game with normal mission starters for a randomized sequence of missions from both VC and SA he appears in... or, well, anything.
  • Partuk likes this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:12 PM

SOL is something that won't be reaching its destined goals in the next 10 years, as it also hasn't in the past ten. Let's work through an example workflow for a player to better explain my goal:

1. The player starts the game. Woo-hoo! They log in through one of the supported services by citizen.re SSO authentication (a local account, Steam or the Rockstar Social Club) for their community access.
2. They end up on a menu which looks a lot like the Reddit (or back in the day, Digg, or whatever) home page, but turned into a big-font game menu - they see a big item saying 'infinite freeroam v69' which has a relatively large amount of votes in the list - said list having a transparent background of a random scene in the game which has probably loaded by then, with the usual CCarCtrl/CPopulation traffic passing them by - and select it.
3. The game restarts, they spawn at the spawn point set for them in the remix (which so happens to be, I don't know, Francis Intl.) next to a set of Mavericks.
4. As they like Vice City, and they like the weapons from there, they fly to Vice (meanwhile seeing traffic containing cars from all the games), and land near, well, North Point Mall. They enter the Ammu-Nation, and the original VC scripts for the Ammu-Nation run in the background, allowing them to, well, buy the gun.
5. The freeroam remix creator also defined some 'freestyle rampages' to play with, so he gets back in the Maverick with his VC weapon, goes to a rampage pickup placed in the nearby Las Venturas, and, well, plays the rampage, with his VC weapon, killing a heap of peds on the way, and having fun.

Another idea of a remix could be a random collection of 'missions Ken Rosenberg appears in' consisting of a normal-looking game with normal mission starters for a randomized sequence of missions from both VC and SA he appears in... or, well, anything.

I see... not too complicated... also do you plan to add in cities from other rockstar games? (Midnight club and Manhunt comes to mind)

or is this just limited to GTA?

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

hell, no, tunnel, no

• Feroci
  • European-Union

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:20 PM

I see... not too complicated... also do you plan to add in cities from other rockstar games? (Midnight club and Manhunt comes to mind)

Manhunt isn't open world-oriented; MC probably uses some crazy technology from R*SD that's a mess to set up.

I still have this annoying grudge to settle with Bully's raw path files though, they look so simple to implement. :p
  • Frank.s and Ss4gogeta0 like this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:24 PM Edited by Ss4gogeta0, 03 August 2014 - 01:04 AM.

Manhunt isn't open world-oriented; MC probably uses some crazy technology from R*SD that's a mess to set up.

I still have this annoying grudge to settle with Bully's raw path files though, they look so simple to implement. :p

havnt messed with Bully's files, although I can say that Midnight Club 3's files are pretty much stuck in a .dat (have not used an extractor yet out of lazyness) ;)

So... I have just extracted all 3 cities out of midnight club 3... It was actually alot easier than I thought it would be...

I will be sending you the files for you to play with, I also have some proposed GTA styled names for each city in the archive...

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

ps3 has no games

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:09 AM

I don't really understand the need for such a complex process on the user's end. Can you break even further for small brained turds like me?

• xNCx likes this

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

hell, no, tunnel, no

• Feroci
  • European-Union

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

... mmm

1. Start game
2. Select custom set of events to play
3. Play!
  • Ss4gogeta0 likes this

Russell_Stone
  • Russell_Stone

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:41 AM

... mmm
1. Start game
3. Play!

So, do you have some screenies or beta-version to have a clear look?

S Y E D
  • S Y E D

Dim Mak!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

... mmm

1. Start game
3. Play!

Do you mean it's like GTA IV, you can choose to play Ballad of Gay Tony or The Lost and Damned or GTA IV?

Alt
  • Alt

some one

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

@NTA

Less text, more pics/vids :)

• xNCx, theNGclan and Mega like this

Arrivance
  • Arrivance

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

Alright, here's some basic explanation.

Imagine a UI like this (this is some basic creation, the UI will look nothing like this -- I repeat, this is an artists interpretation of what it could look like)

sez.png

Users would be able to submit their own mission, their own games, their own whatever that was possible. It'd be ranked by the community using a reddit like system (http://reddit.com/). Basically, each thing would be given a 'weight', and the weight (which determines position) is based on how old it is, how much it has been rated, etc. Obviously it'll be different, but that's how I understand it. 

This mission/game/whatever would be done within the constricts of the map you're given... which'll be various GTA games and possibly the map from Bully (Bullworth Academy).

Eventually, the aim is to do whatever the mission/game/whatever wanted them to do, and have some fun doing it. 

• Frank.s and LINK/2012 like this

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:35 AM Edited by Ss4gogeta0, 11 August 2014 - 02:37 AM.

yep flashbacks to steam workshop are happening...

NTA, you should also go back to the Bully modding community and save them from a horrid rotting death... ;)

Issik
  • Issik

Ah , we all do dumb things , that's what make's us human

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:31 AM

However , i wonder , is this mod is now kinda paused , slowed down , or ..... Dead ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users