Quantcast

» «
Photo

Anyone else thinks that driving sucks in IV?

211 replies to this topic
MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:48 PM

The each time i return to play IV after i`ve played V or any other GTA series the more i find vehicle handling annoying and weird in this game.

R* attempted to make vehicles and it`s handling as realistic as it can gets but it turned out it`s realisticly weird and not fun at all.

Look at the vehicles`s speed, even top speed of the fastest cars in game seems 50% slower than in other series. Handling is so messed up that you can`t possibly turn a corner without crashing or rotating the vehicle. Chasing someone in the car or runnig from cops is a nightmare. And no matter on which surface you`re driving on the car always looks like it`s bending right. Not to mention that driving in this game looks like some slow motion cutscene.

I like IV as a game overall, i like Niko, i like the story etc but driving sucks, at least IMO. And if driving in GTA sucks that means 30% of the game sucks too as the driving is one of the most important aspects of GTA games.

What do you think?

• Lowi likes this

android
  • android

Something witty, something sh*tty

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

Your problem is that you're too attached to V's driving mechanics/physics.

Nothing is wrong with the driving in IV.

• Nicolas Chiribelo, lol232, GroundZero and 9 others like this

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

Looks like you never drove a car in real life. :sigh:
  • GroundZero, Zito, theNGclan and 5 others like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Looks like the diversion worked!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:01 PM Edited by B Dawg, 02 August 2014 - 08:02 PM.

Should have really gone to the V section if you wanted likes and positive replies. Besides, the cars aren't slow, hell V cars are about the same top speed. Here you will only get one clear message:

Learn to drive. It's not hard.

• lol232, GroundZero, /Tuomaz and 6 others like this

Ridd
  • Ridd

Tipper

• Members
  • Iceland

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

I like it, V's feels kinda not there, for lack of better words.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

Pretty much this. Once you're used to the driving mechanics, it suddenly becomes much simpler.
  • ten-a-penny, Sting4S, android and 1 other like this

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

It ain`t just about V`s driving, but all the other series too.

And don`t compare IV`s driving to real life, because in real life i never crash or roll over for 360° when i try to turn the corner.

Learn to drive in IV? I`m playing this game since 2010 and it`s interesting how i have problems driving and turning around the corners in this game but i don`t have any in other series from 3D onwards.

Driving mechanics are quite weird in this game.

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

Should have really gone to the V section if you wanted likes and positive replies. Besides, the cars aren't slow, hell V cars are about the same top speed. Here you will only get one clear message:

I don`t give a sh*t for some virtual likes i just wanted too see if anyone else thinks the same.

So according to you everyone who opens a topic is dying to get some likes or what?

If you don`t understand what i`m trying to say go and play GTA 3, VC, VCS, LCS, SA and V and after that go and play IV and you will see what i mean.

Driving in IV seems like a slow motion video and you realy need to drive slow as hell if you want to turn a corner without doing a 360° burnout or getting reverse and crash few other cars and peds.

Hell even on a straight road with no traffic in some good car at top speed you don`t reach 60% of top speed in SA for example

• Bozzah likes this

iam2fresh
  • iam2fresh

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

first positive comment while i don't hate it i like 5's better 4's was a bit too buttery for me. i do like how it takes talent to drive in gta 4

• The Odyssey and JayJay35 like this

WandererNiko
  • WandererNiko

Wanderer

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

If you want my opinion, partner, I'd rather say that the top speed in GTA IV is intended to make an effect together with the city, what I mean is the following. There are fast cars in GTA IV, but most part of the top speeds are not 300km/h like in GTA V, why? Because LC is a city divided in four parts, four islands, if you got the super fast cars you got in V, you will probably feel that the city is way too small, you may go from western Bohan to eastern Bohan in just seconds. Also, the driving physics help to make this effect. If you have a handling which allows you to handle the cars faster (Like in GTA V), you'll feel that you're not even part of the city in which you are in, it doesn't fit in it.

The essence of GTA IV is more or less that, make the player feel inside a big city, even if the city is not such a big one.

As other guys said, you need to learn how to drive in GTA IV, if you can't do it, there are many modifications that change the driving style.

P.S.: I personally love to keep intact the game's essence, it has been made for a reason, and I respect that reason.

• Miamivicecity, B Dawg, ten-a-penny and 3 others like this

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

first positive comment while i don't hate it i like 5's better 4's was a bit too buttery for me. i do like how it takes talent to drive in gta 4

That`s what i`m trying to say. You need more talent to drive in IV than in real life lol

In every other series just like i said i had no probs to learn it in few minutes but in IV it`s a pain in the ass.

Maybe it`s because i jump from one game to another and than it bothers me, if i would play IV only than it probably wouldn`t even bothered me.

So i don`t got a talent to drive in a f*cking GTA IV video game, big deal.

It`s important enough for me that i got it in all the other series. Or in real life :beerhat:

gta4thewin
  • gta4thewin

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:10 PM

I didn't have any problems with it until I played V. When I first played V it felt so arcade-like that I almost quit the game right away. Now it feels totally wrong to play IV instead.

I think it's mostly about what you're used to. I had nothing against driving in IV until I played V, going back to IV driving will take me time to adjust to be able to drive properly.
  • Wavesittich likes this

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:34 AM

GTA IV's driving physics aren't perfect, but honestly for what it is no other open world game has given as much satisfaction. I like GTA IV's technical driving. It stands out from the majority of arcade sh*t out there.

For me I love that the physics are so unforgiving. It's sort of like a semi-simulation. It's not really like Gran Turismo or Forza, but it's not arcade-ish either. It's the only open world game to me that gets a good balance. Braking modulation, learning to control understeer/oversteer etc is so much fun in GTA IV.

I know this sounds incredibly biased (which isn't a surprise coming from me:P), but whenever I play another open world game (including other GTAs) driving never satisfies me in the way GTA IV does. It's as close as it gets to being realistic without being realistic IMO.

• Bi0ha2ard_q8, ten-a-penny, android and 2 others like this

daliakiller
  • daliakiller

weed farmer

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:08 AM Edited by daliakiller, 03 August 2014 - 06:10 AM.

When cornering press the hand brake button, then hold gas and brakes at the same time, while turning. Your car s going to make a clear drift around the corner. Do it a few times and you will master it. You will see how good the driving physics in IV feel.
  • thekillerdonuts likes this

Nikopol89
  • Nikopol89

Player Hater

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:41 AM

It ain`t just about V`s driving, but all the other series too.

And don`t compare IV`s driving to real life, because in real life i never crash or roll over for 360° when i try to turn the corner.

Learn to drive in IV? I`m playing this game since 2010 and it`s interesting how i have problems driving and turning around the corners in this game but i don`t have any in other series from 3D onwards.

Driving mechanics are quite weird in this game.

You can't compare to real driving because you will never drive like that on a road: it's deadly. Most of the time in IV you're above 50 km/h (a lot more if you're not following traffic rules), turning corners at very excessive speeds. In my opinion, game physics are even generous.

Of course you drove/drive in real life. But have you ever tried to speed a bit in urban areas with a non-ESP equipped car?

The problem, I think, isn't the driving simulation itself (which is nearly perfect: a great compromise between realism & arcade). It's the lack of "speed feeling" 3rd person view has (motion blur is half a solution).

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:57 AM Edited by Vercetti42, 03 August 2014 - 06:57 AM.

The driving is excellent, the only thing I hate is that somethings even for a small dash your car spins out of control sometimes.

Lowi
  • Lowi

Hustler

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:26 AM Edited by SonOfLiberty, 03 August 2014 - 07:27 AM.

GTA V have worst driving EVER!!! 

• lol232 likes this

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:28 AM

Agreed.:)

• lol232 likes this

Lowi
  • Lowi

Hustler

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:30 AM

Agreed. :)

holy sh*t im really wrote GTA V??? LOL i go to sleep

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:31 AM

Remember as a moderator I can edit peoples' posts. So be careful what you say.;)

• lol232, theNGclan, /Tuomaz and 2 others like this

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

Honestly, imo GTA IV has the best driving physics I've ever seen in any open world game. The first Mafia is the closest competitor.
  • Miamivicecity, lol232, Kampret and 1 other like this

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

the driving in gta 4 is kinda attached to the theme they wanted to create for the game, more real (not realistic), more sided with reality and it was pretty good at least for me, it isn't as basic as the one in 3D  era or GTA V, it actually took skill to learn it.

Remember, you're not driving a chradder here while rolling in the dough, you're driving a sh*tty car in a city that you don't know. Get in character

• Wavesittich likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Looks like the diversion worked!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:20 PM Edited by B Dawg, 03 August 2014 - 12:20 PM.

If you want my opinion, partner, I'd rather say that the top speed in GTA IV is intended to make an effect together with the city, what I mean is the following. There are fast cars in GTA IV, but most part of the top speeds are not 300km/h like in GTA V, why? Because LC is a city divided in four parts, four islands, if you got the super fast cars you got in V, you will probably feel that the city is way too small, you may go from western Bohan to eastern Bohan in just seconds. Also, the driving physics help to make this effect. If you have a handling which allows you to handle the cars faster (Like in GTA V), you'll feel that you're not even part of the city in which you are in, it doesn't fit in it.

The essence of GTA IV is more or less that, make the player feel inside a big city, even if the city is not such a big one.

As other guys said, you need to learn how to drive in GTA IV, if you can't do it, there are many modifications that change the driving style.

P.S.: I personally love to keep intact the game's essence, it has been made for a reason, and I respect that reason.

Agree, but it's been proven that cars in V aren't really much faster Top Speed wise, they just have too good acceleration. They go like 190KM/H, which is pretty much the IV's reachable top speed with a Comet. The cars in V are too slow for the gigantic map they were given.

• WandererNiko and Kampret like this

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Player hater or hater player, or what?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:12 PM Edited by Phoenix_Shit, 03 August 2014 - 01:15 PM.

I don't think it literally SUCKED, it wasn't bad at all, I liked it when I played GTA IV. I still think driving in V is better, but IV was good, and it was better than the 3D era games

BTW, fun fact: In 5 years, people will say that GTA V's driving sucks too, lol 

• ten-a-penny and Wavesittich like this

daliakiller
  • daliakiller

weed farmer

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

I don't think it literally SUCKED, it wasn't bad at all, I liked it when I played GTA IV. I still think driving in V is better, but IV was good, and it was better than the 3D era games

BTW, fun fact: In 5 years, people will say that GTA V's driving sucks too, lol 

I really dont think it sucks. Cars just dont have suspension or wheight nothing. Not to mention car deformation. V driving is simple, and satisfying, but i still thinks IV is more complex and fun.
  • ten-a-penny, Kampret and Wavesittich like this

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

Yeah i guess you just need to use to the driving mechanics in IV, so like i said you can`t jumping from one GTA game to another and between that play a little bit of IV because you will have a problem. At least i do.

I remember a couple of years ago when i was playing IV only for a few months, the driving thing didn`t bother me at all but now after playing V, SA and VCS i do have some troubles.

But i still think that it`s kind of weird, like some slow motion thing. Not to mention cornering but i will take someones advice on it.

But nonetheless making vehicles slower just because the gamer would have better feeling of the city like someone said is stupid. I can drive at top speed in the middle of bohan so if i will crash that`s going to be my problem. So it makes no sense for R* to make cars slower just because you would need to travel long time trough LC so you would get impression how big it is.

No matter of all speed comparisons to V, the feeling that cars in IV are way slower than in ANY other GTA game (not just V) is there for me everytime.

But i got to praise the crash sounds animations, they are very realistic.

PS, and why do you keep bringing V out here? This isn`t IV vs V fight, i`ve clearly stated "comparing to ANY other GTA game"

So i don`t try to bash IV in any way because i like all about it EXCEPT for this driving thing, especially cornering which ussualy leads to slippering and rotating thus crashing the car.

WandererNiko
  • WandererNiko

Wanderer

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

But nonetheless making vehicles slower just because the gamer would have better feeling of the city like someone said is stupid. 

That someone is me, I'd like to clean up some dishes here.

Even if you don't believe it, companies like Rockstar spend money and mind in creating their games. Those companies are playing with quality, one of the features in GTA IV that was and is loved by GTA IV's fans is the city. R* gave to Liberty City the sense of being a dirty dark and attractive city, they changed many things to improve the city feeling, take examples: If you press W you'll not trot, you will walk, if you find cars in a street which you can freely steal you'll find slow-class cars, (It's hard to find luxury and fast cars in the real life as well), you also have the building effect, which makes the buildings higher if you look at them. Everything is intended to have a function. 

Take in mind what I told you in the previous post, and think for a minute. You've Bohan, smallest borough in LC, but hey, it's not a few boring blocks, when you go to Bohan, that small place can even become a big one thanks to the effects Rockstar has put in it, even the streets are made to slow down the player's travel, so what's the feeling after being driving in Bohan for a while? That small place, isn't that small as it seems. Or at least that's what we are supposed to think about.

Now take the Bohan example, to the "enormous" boroughs of Broker-Dukes, Alderney or Algonquin. You will get another feeling of the city than just a place to kill pedestrians.

And partner, please check VC's cars top speed, as an example, and you'll be the one replying to your statement of "comparing to ANY other GTA game".

daliakiller
  • daliakiller

weed farmer

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

I wasng bashing V. I just cant get used to driving there after playing IV for a long time. In fact V's driving is satisfying. III's driving is nice too. I think they arent used to the new game engine to make a game the size of IV, thats why it feels slow. They also added a nice wheight to cars and suspension. Maybe the car didnt feel fast, but it is, thats why it rolls too much when cornering. Anyways, i think IV's driving mechanics is complex and better than any other GTA.
Just do what i told you about cornering and you will see how satisfying and fun is to drive in IV. After a while playing, you get used to it.

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

But nonetheless making vehicles slower just because the gamer would have better feeling of the city like someone said is stupid. 

That someone is me, I'd like to clean up some dishes here.

Even if you don't believe it, companies like Rockstar spend money and mind in creating their games. Those companies are playing with quality, one of the features in GTA IV that was and is loved by GTA IV's fans is the city. R* gave to Liberty City the sense of being a dirty dark and attractive city, they changed many things to improve the city feeling, take examples: If you press W you'll not trot, you will walk, if you find cars in a street which you can freely steal you'll find slow-class cars, (It's hard to find luxury and fast cars in the real life as well), you also have the building effect, which makes the buildings higher if you look at them. Everything is intended to have a function. 

Take in mind what I told you in the previous post, and think for a minute. You've Bohan, smallest borough in LC, but hey, it's not a few boring blocks, when you go to Bohan, that small place can even become a big one thanks to the effects Rockstar has put in it, even the streets are made to slow down the player's travel, so what's the feeling after being driving in Bohan for a while? That small place, isn't that small as it seems. Or at least that's what we are supposed to think about.

Now take the Bohan example, to the "enormous" boroughs of Broker-Dukes, Alderney or Algonquin. You will get another feeling of the city than just a place to kill pedestrians.

And partner, please check VC's cars top speed, as an example, and you'll be the one replying to your statement of "comparing to ANY other GTA game".

I know what you mean partner and i apreciate your reply.

PS, i didn`t say VC but VCS, cars in VC are slow but in VCS are very fast. Actually they are unrealisticly fast, hell even walton pickup goes like 200 km/h lol

I judge car`s speed in game more on the feeling than some actual comparisons. Someone can say to me, or even prove to me written that cars in IV goes such and such speed so they are the same speed as V for example but i still got a strong feeling that they are terribly slow. And slow speed doesn`t even bothers me as much as handling and cornering does.

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The Liberty City Experience

• Members

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

Having to actually use your brakes must be quite the learning curve for V fans.
  • B Dawg, daliakiller and Kampret like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users