Photo

GTA IV feels unlike all other GTAs

45 replies to this topic
Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Hustler

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:05 PM Edited by gtarules_95, 02 August 2014 - 08:56 PM.

I mean its one of the best games I have ever played but still I do agree that it does feel different from all the other GTA's (in a good way)
The change in tone from SA to GTA IV is so huge its basically like playing a different series (and with Ballad of Gay tony and GTA V we returned to that classic GTA feel)

and because of that it got a lot of criticsm for not being a real GTA and that the free-roam aspect with killing people contradicted the serious story and Niko's character

And then RDR came and got all the praise even though in my opinion IV's story is much better but just because it was a GTA and people expected a lighter tone, the typical GTA wackiness etc. it got bashed And we probably won't ever get someting like GTA IV  again because the GTA fans don't like serious but instead wacky

What are your thoughts?

Edit: Some people misunderstood me
GTA IV is actually my favourite GTA I was just speculating that it would have gotten the praise it deserves in therms of story and characters if it wouldn't have the GTA name (like RDR did) instead it got bashed we had a huge sh*tstorm so much so that Rockstar

changed the direction again

Thats all I was saying!

• Bi0ha2ard_q8, thekillerdonuts, Drunken Cowboy and 1 other like this

iam2fresh
  • iam2fresh

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:12 PM Edited by iam2fresh, 02 August 2014 - 07:13 PM.

so your basically saying its shouldn't have been a gta game because its the darkest gta? that's a incredibly stupid reason 

• Shenmue18, lol232, _Kindled_ and 3 others like this

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

Hustler

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:21 PM

Come on.

fefenc
  • fefenc

pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pi :'(

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:30 PM Edited by fefenc, 02 August 2014 - 07:31 PM.

I mean its one of the best games I have ever played but still I do agree that it didn't feel like a real GTA
The change in tone from SA to GTA IV is so huge its basically like playing a different series (and with Ballad of Gay tony and GTA V we returned to that classic GTA feel)

And maybe it should have been a different series because it always got a lot of criticsm for not being a real GTA and that the free-roam aspect with killing people contradicted the serious story and Niko's character

And then RDR came and got all the praise even though in my opinion IV's story is much better but just because it was a GTA and people expected a lighter tone, the typical GTA wackiness etc. it got bashed (maybe even rightly so? if a series changes its direction completely then the developers should make a new IP --> similiar case with Saints Row)

If you look at all the GTA's IV stands out as being very different and even though IV and the Episodes are very connected I like to view it as a standalone game

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts after reading all this crap:

rampage-jackson-vs-door-tuf-10.gif

• _Kindled_ and Lowi like this

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Basketballs don't hold grudges.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:37 PM Edited by Shenmue18, 02 August 2014 - 07:39 PM.

I mean its one of the best games I have ever played but still I do agree that it didn't feel like a real GTA

And maybe it should have been a different series because it always got a lot of criticsm for not being a real GTA and that the free-roam aspect with killing people contradicted the serious story and Niko's character

And then RDR came and got all the praise even though in my opinion IV's story is much better but just because it was a GTA and people expected a lighter tone, the typical GTA wackiness etc. it got bashed (maybe even rightly so? if a series changes its direction completely then the developers should make a new IP --> similiar case with Saints Row)

If you look at all the GTA's IV stands out as being very different and even though IV and the Episodes are very connected I like to view it as a standalone game

What are your thoughts?

I have no problem with Rockstar doing something new and changing like they did with GTA IV. That's why it's my favorite. It's sad that so many of these idiots out there can't appreciate that and hate on GTA IV because it tried to do something different than San Andreas. I loved GTA IV being dark and gritty instead of all bright and wacky. That's why as much as I dislike GTA V, I see why Rockstar made it the way they did, so all the mouth breathers who want every GTA to be exactly like San Andreas will be happy, but of course when the game can't top San Andreas, they don't like it as much as San Andreas. You have two options, you can either accept change in the series and get games that try something different and new, and instead of being "the next San Andreas" they're "the first GTA IV", or have Rockstar attempt to make another game that's exactly like San Andreas and get games like GTA V that try to be San Andreas and are decent, but don't top San Andreas. Because San Andreas is wacky, over the top and fun and it does it perfectly to the point where most people who want another game exactly like it, will be disappointed by the result.

• _Kindled_, WandererNiko and matajuegos01 like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Hustler

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts after reading all this crap:

rampage-jackson-vs-door-tuf-10.gif

well instead of saying why of course a f*cker like you just uses a gif

• Sting4S and Wavesittich like this

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

Rockstar just changed things up a bit, and decided to take the series in a new direction. I see nothing wrong with the game, and I appreciate their effort to try out something new.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

Because of course the only true GTA is SA and every other is the different/worse/not fitting the rest. Have you played GTA 2 or GTA III? They were dark and gritty as well and in addition III atmosphere wasn't topped by even fantastic GTA IV climate. If you haven't played them, then you shouldn't have right to speak about the direction of the series and what should be and what shouldn't be GTA. 

Truth is changes in the series and venturing from one end to the other is good, because it gives us variety. After dark III we get colorful VC. After colorful SA we got dark IV. It's not a bad thing.

And did you say that RDR was lighter than GTA and it did get back to GTA wackiness? It proves that you don't know what you're writing about. 

• Shenmue18, lol232, ainsz and 2 others like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Hustler

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

Rockstar just changed things up a bit, and decided to take the series in a new direction. I see nothing wrong with the game, and I appreciate their effort to try out something new.

Yeah but then with GTA V we returned to normal again so sadly it didn't succed

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Hustler

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:51 PM

Because of course the only true GTA is SA and every other is the different/worse/not fitting the rest. Have you played GTA 2 or GTA III? They were dark and gritty as well and in addition III atmosphere wasn't topped by even fantastic GTA IV climate. If you haven't played them, then you shouldn't have right to speak about the direction of the series and what should be and what shouldn't be GTA. 

Truth is changes in the series and venturing from one end to the other is good, because it gives us variety. After dark III we get colorful VC. After colorful SA we got dark IV. It's not a bad thing.

And did you say that RDR was lighter than GTA and it did get back to GTA wackiness? It proves that you don't know what you're writing about. 

what the hell?? where did I say that RDR was lighter? f*cking read and then complain I said that GTA IV got bashed for its serious story just because it was a GTA and wasn't as wacky as the previous one's and RDR got praised for its serious story (it was also very awesome) just found it a shame that IV's story was overlooked just because it was a GTA game and people don't expect a serious story

And I have played every GTA to date and my favourite GTA is GTA IV so I have no idea where you get the idea that I think SA is the only GTA 

And you can't say that GTA III and GTA IV were on the same level of seriousness

I mean sure GTA III's Liberty City was dark and gritty but from a story perspective they can't even be compared IV's story was much more dramatic etc.

Do you think if GTA IV's tone was that normal in the GTA series it would have been bashed that much? they even made Ballad of gay tony more like classic GTA's just so people would calm down even though it didn't fit the other two Stories

• thekillerdonuts likes this

WandererNiko
  • WandererNiko

Wanderer

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:33 PM

the GTA fans don't like serious but instead wacky

Yeah, fans didn't like GTA IV.

Just more than 25 millions of them.

"no omg gtav got +29 millions in less than a year plz"

Yeah, +29 millions five years after GTA IV. It's progressive. Besides, there are many factors who have to do something with the sales, for example consoles and the economy.

I don't even know what's in your head about the definition of GTA, just a game full of havoc and non.sense stuff, or something else.

thekillerdonuts
  • thekillerdonuts

Who killed Hannibal

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:38 PM

I get what you're saying, and i agree.

To everyone replying, read his EDIT.

• Wavesittich likes this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Hustler

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

Yeah, +29 millions five years after GTA IV. It's progressive. Besides, there are many factors who have to do something with the sales, for example consoles and the economy.

I don't even know what's in your head about the definition of GTA, just a game full of havoc and non.sense stuff, or something else.

So what? there was still a huge sh*tstorm back when it was released

How else do you explain Rockstar going back to a more lighter tone in Ballad of gay tony and now in V

The fans spoke and they answered
And I'm not saying thats a good thing I actually want the serious tone back man

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

Hustler

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:17 PM

For me the only GTA that has "GTA feel" is GTA III - all you can do is steal a car and shoot people.

Militia
  • Militia

Unique/Proof/EC Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:34 PM

Yeah, I am slowly finding GTA IV to be the best GTA out of the entire 3D and HD Era GTA Games.  I am currently 71.38% Completion into my playthrough in GTA IV since 2008, so it's been a while.  I have grew to appreciate this game a lot more than I did.

In the past, I could never manage to play it long enough to get used to the city, driving physics, characters, etc, whereas now I fully embraced it and love everything about the game.  Like any game, it has its flaws, but these flaws are so minor they aren't even note-worthy.  Even though I still LOVE the 3D Era GTA Games (III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS) more than any HD Era GTA Game (IV, TLaD, TBoGT, and V), I still think IV + Episodes is amazing.

I also must add that, even though, almost all the previous GTA aspects were taken out of IV, it still stood strong and became one of the best GTA games to date.

I usually have a bias when it comes to GTA in general, though.  Because I am a Unique/Proof Vehicle Collector, and since these vehicles were ALL inside GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, and VCS, my love is always gonna go to the 3D Era because of the games including these vehicles and giving me something else to explore and get into in the game, besides going for the same old 100% Completion with the best stats I can get.  But if you put all proof vehicles aside, I believe IV is probably the best game, next to SA.

• thekillerdonuts and Voggens like this

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:31 AM

When you really think about it is GTA IV that much darker and serious than GTA III? It's kind of strange how people bash GTA IV for being too dark and serious yet it's a form of expression that isn't foreign to the series. I guess it might be different for someone who started with VC or SA, but for those of us that started with the top down GTAs or GTA III it shouldn't come across as a shock. The original GTA wasn't really all that dark and serious, but II moved more towards it.

That's probably why you don't get many GTA III fans complaining about GTA IV's style because it's very reminiscent of GTA III. However I can't see R* making a GTA IV style GTA ever again. Most people want sunshine, happiness, over the top action etc. Paced, methodical and calculating games like GTA IV are too much of a niche product.

• RogerFH, Mr_Leone, Fan GTA III and 11 others like this

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:11 AM

GTA IV was a very defining point of the series, after SA, people expected the next game to be even crazier (and they have a reason for it, it's grand theft auto, the game of gourangas and rampages)  but they got the complete opposite, that's why most people think IV sucks.

This game was dark, gritty and very different to every past gta game, and I don't blame rockstar for going in a very different direction, but they had to have in mind that giving the mature treatment to a series known for its wackyness has to be gradual and not straight away, that's why it failed, that's why we'll probably never see another game like IV, that's why V was a convoluted mess that doesn't know whether to be realistic or wacky.

• Miamivicecity and Kampret like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Hustler

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

When you really think about it is GTA IV that much darker and serious than GTA III? It's kind of strange how people bash GTA IV for being too dark and serious yet it's a form of expression that isn't foreign to the series. I guess it might be different for someone who started with VC or SA, but for those of us that started with the top down GTAs or GTA III it shouldn't come across as a shock. The original GTA wasn't really all that dark and serious, but II moved more towards it.

That's probably why you don't get many GTA III fans complaining about GTA IV's style because it's very reminiscent of GTA III. However I can't see R* making a GTA IV style GTA ever again. Most people want sunshine, happiness, over the top action etc. Paced, methodical and calculating games like GTA IV are too much of a niche product.

sure GTA III was similiar in tone I mean we also had Liberty city and it was dark and gritty BUT

compare the story of those two I mean there was no emotion in GTA III just classic GTA missions in GTA IV there was this dark backstory of Niko (with his friends killed and he was betrayed) The storyline was much more dramatic and serious so I guess thats why some like GTA III and not GTA IV

Its a shame that most GTA fans always want  (like you described) sunshine, wackiness, happy endings etc. instead of serious and dramatic so if we even see Liberty City again it will be more like Ballad of gay tony(which was just bad compared to IV's story) where they also wanted to please the "light" GTA fans

Well at least we will always have GTA IV

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

I agree with that, but it also doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me when people complain about LC being too gritty and a "concrete jungle". If anything GTA III's is probably more ominous than GTA IV's is.

Urban exploration is the roots of the series. It seems ever since SA some people can't appreciate a quality concrete jungle anymore.
  • RogerFH and Militia like this

EQUIN0X
  • EQUIN0X

Of The Coming Ĉon

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:20 PM

I loved IV's city and atmosphere (because it's based on NYC). The story and characters and missions are what sucked. It was the same lazy mission over and over with 1 unique one every 20 "go here/kill guy/escape cops".

That said I do appreciate how Rockstar wanted to change it up and make a gritty crime story.

I feel like GTA V nailed the line between crazy action and realness. Thus I think it's miles above IV.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

Same "the story and characters and missions are what sucked" can be said about V as well. Sure maybe the missions were more varied, but that doesn't change the fact that whole story was terribly stupid and inconsistent being more like "Let's go Michael Bay here." 

Where exactly is the line between crazy action and realness in V, when in fact whole game goes down the crapper in the moment that Trevor arrive in LS? It's more like "explosions everywhere as long as nobody see it makes no sense at all."

• Journey_95, thekillerdonuts and Militia like this

WandererNiko
  • WandererNiko

Wanderer

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

So what? there was still a huge sh*tstorm back when it was released

How else do you explain Rockstar going back to a more lighter tone in Ballad of gay tony and now in V

The fans spoke and they answered
And I'm not saying thats a good thing I actually want the serious tone back man

I see what you say, partner, but I believe that R* were, and is trying to make their games for every kind of people, people who like GTA IV style (who are not just a few players around the globe) and people who like GTA V style.

Rockstar didn't "lose" money creating and selling GTA IV, they didn't lose fans, you can clearly see that in the sales of GTA V, GTA IV was not a shameful game to the fans community, it was highly rated as an excellent game when it was released, so... Maybe you are talking about the fans who don't like GTA IV, not all the fans around there.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Looks like the diversion worked!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

GTA V feels unlike all other GTAs :p

• Jeansowaty and Kampret like this

Kampret
  • Kampret

Glorious Multiplatform Gaming Race

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

GTA V feels unlike all other GTAs :p

It doesn't feel like a GTA.

• Miamivicecity, Witchking Of Angmar, thekillerdonuts and 4 others like this

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

"Time moves forward, and nothing changes"- Max Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:31 AM

I agree with that, but it also doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me when people complain about LC being too gritty and a "concrete jungle". If anything GTA III's is probably more ominous than GTA IV's is.
Urban exploration is the roots of the series. It seems ever since SA some people can't appreciate a quality concrete jungle anymore.

I love concrete jungles cause there are so many buildings to hide behind and admire the details.
GTA 4 has the gta feel unlike V which feels like a retirement/mini game simulator.

iam2fresh
  • iam2fresh

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:12 AM

sorry for my other post OT: most people that i know that hated 4 when it came out hated it because it took away "to much stuff from san andreas" i rarely heard anyone talk about the story. also gta 4's story really fits gta. niko's story is just perfect for gta protagonist. 

• Kampret likes this

RogerFH
  • RogerFH

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:07 AM Edited by RogerFH, 08 August 2014 - 10:12 AM.

Reading this topic made me realize how divided the GTA community is. Maybe that's why GTA V is what it is.

Anyways, I understand what gtarules was trying to say, but I don't think GTA IV is the black sheep of the family. It was praised by critics and became the best selling entertainment product of 2008. The fan's opinions were divided, but let's face it: most people who complained about GTA IV were delusional GTA San Andreas fans, not GTA fans. "JESUS CHRIST THERE'S NO DESERT IN NEW YORK CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Another thing that I wanted to put on the table: for YOU, what makes a GTA game truly a GTA?

For me, GTA III created the basic concept of what GTA is: the protagonist is a criminal nobody that starts from nowhere, makes a few connections and goes deeper into the criminal underworld. Then, as the scenario, there's the intimidating big city that gives you the freedom to do whatever you want, anytime you want.* And a great soundtrack.

*EXCEPTIONS: play tennis, do yoga

So, for me, GTA IV is a true GTA

• thekillerdonuts likes this

Jioyt 123
  • Jioyt 123

I just don't know what went wrong!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

I like the story. Like you said OP, it feels unlike all other GTAs. And also, after reading all these comments,
Maybe Rockstar have a set "standard" in tone for each city. Like VC and SA being all happy and mini gunning army soldiers down on 6 stars (only bloody five now, it better go back to six after V) whilst LC is more sad and " i killed that guy, oops"(if you understand what I'm getting at)

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:08 AM

Not sure if I already posted here, but IDGAF.

GTA IV feels like another past gta but in HD, on the contrary, GTA V feels NOTHING like gta

• Witchking Of Angmar, Militia and maxpaynefan like this

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

"Time moves forward, and nothing changes"- Max Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:48 AM

Not sure if I already posted here, but IDGAF.

GTA IV feels like another past gta but in HD, on the contrary, GTA V feels NOTHING like gta

GTA 4 has a similar feel to GTA 3, which is why i love it. GTA V doesn't know whether its casual or mature.
  • matajuegos01 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users