Photo

GTA- A satire of American Culture

46 replies to this topic
Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:13 PM Edited by gtarules_95, 02 August 2014 - 03:17 PM.

I'm not sure about the 3D era games sure there were some references here and there but I think with the HD era

games they really focused on social commentary and parodying american culture (probably because it takes place in our time and we can relate more to it)

Do you like it? Or should they focus solely on Criminal stuff?

Sure the jokes can become repetetive but I think that they should include it in future games because its unique and no other game does it

SingularSoul
  • SingularSoul

"Danger zonnnne".

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:19 PM Edited by SingularSoul, 02 August 2014 - 03:27 PM.

I'm not sure about the 3D era games sure there were some references here and there but I think with the HD era

games they really focused on social commentary and parodying american culture (probably because it takes place in our time and we can relate more to it)

Parody has always been a hallmark of the series.

However, they really went overboard in V, to the point where EVERYTHING became a parody and as a result it wasn't that funny.

Parody is best done in moderation, as it stands out more when everything around it is subtle. Parody CAN be overdone and outlandish, so long as it isn't done to the point where every little thing is a joke. 

R* also varied the themes of parody less than in previous games, which caused it's effectiveness to be lost again somewhat.

Repeating the same gags in a different format constantly (Gags about liberals, being vain etc), as well as just pointing out social stereotypes instead of mocking them isn't funny.

EDIT: You want funny? Here it is.

• Official General, universetwisters and HaythamKenway like this

TheTechPoTaToCHIP
  • TheTechPoTaToCHIP

Tech Knight

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

I really wish they satirize all the nitpickers and whiners in the next game, hey if they satirized gamers with Jimmy, im sure they could work that in there. 

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

I hated the satire. If they want to be funny, why not go back to III and Vice City and take some notes there? If any of you ever played GTA 3, chances are you remember the radio commercials and got a kick out of them, like how silly the very idea of ordering animals through the mail or an SUV that's so big, little kids are lost in the back for extended periods of time. Now fast forward to GTA 5. Nearly all the commercials on the radio are the same copy/paste "our products suck - we suck as a company - you suck - buy our product" format. It's like they're dumbing down the humor to get new fans, not to mention the fact that nearly every product in the game is a joke, which severely counters the plot and how serious it tries to be.

• B Dawg, Official General, HaythamKenway and 4 others like this

Darth_Rob
  • Darth_Rob

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:33 PM Edited by Darth_Rob, 02 August 2014 - 03:37 PM.

Yes, it's a satire, but not of America culture,  It's more of a satire of how Europeans perceive American culture - especially in the rural areas of the game where shirtless rednecks drive around in tractors and brag about incest.  If an American company were to make a similar satire about Great Briitain, it would have a bunch of snobby old geezers in bowler hats and bad teeth saying things like Chip Chip Cheeeeeerio!" all the time.

San Andreas was better satire IMO.  It was more subtle and less like simple mockery.

• lazloisdavrock, Target13 and Average white guy like this

TheDeaconBosco
  • TheDeaconBosco

A car so nice, they've named it twice

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

Parody has always been a hallmark of the series.

However, they really went overboard in V, to the point where EVERYTHING became a parody and as a result it wasn't that funny.

Parody is best done in moderation, as it stands out more when everything around it is subtle.

R* also varied the themes of parody less than in previous games, which caused it's effectiveness to be lost again somewhat.

Repeating the same gags in a different format constantly (Gags about liberals, being vain etc), as well as just pointing out social stereotypes instead of mocking them isn't funny.

Wouldn't be so bad if that was just that, I am getting seriously sick of hearing "ToiletCleanerMillenialHispterEnemaTriathlonSwingersTriathlons" everytime I listen to the radio or in game dialog, the quality of the satire went down and is as subtle as a hammer to the skull. 

With that said, I did actually enjoy the Solomon Richards part of the story, in previous GTA games there was this sort of dissociation between the real life universe, which was for the most part grounded in reality with genuine characters media universe where they'd describe all these silly things, and the voice acting is over the top, because it's meant as a joke.

But now they actually acknowledge how sh*tty and full of cliches Meltdown actually is as part of the "real life" universe, which reinforces the fact that the characters and the media do in fact coexist. Pretty interesting

• SingularSoul likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

But now they actually acknowledge how sh*tty and full of cliches Meltdown actually is as part of the "real life" universe, which reinforces the fact that the characters and the media do in fact coexist. Pretty interesting

But if that was the case with the bulk of the media in the GTA universe, who would want to fly on an airline that specifically states how poorly it'll treat it's customers?

TheDeaconBosco
  • TheDeaconBosco

A car so nice, they've named it twice

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:56 PM Edited by TheDeaconBosco, 02 August 2014 - 03:57 PM.

But if that was the case with the bulk of the media in the GTA universe, who would want to fly on an airline that specifically states how poorly it'll treat it's customers?

People who have no other alternative ofc.

Seriously though, most ads in GTA feel like the guy speaking had a nice refreshing sip of truth serum before going on the air, I've traveled a lot by plane and I've always felt like they couldn't possibly end quick enough.

While the Meltdown thing was interesting I don't think they should try to abuse "crossing the streams" too much, if you know what I mean, it could very well easily turn people that really enjoy the story off.

Mr. Dreemurr
  • Mr. Dreemurr

Fastback

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

Again, blame yoga for this.

Target13
  • Target13

Beyond Creativity®

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

Yeah, i wish GTA was 100% serious.

I mean all this Enus Annis jokes are getting old and almost every commercial is about how bad the product is.

Even the vehicle descriptions in Car Sites are jokes.

Its getting really annoying when you are having this semi serious plot trying to work in this unfunny joke of a world.

• ocd likes this

Mr. Dreemurr
  • Mr. Dreemurr

Fastback

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:30 PM Edited by LucarioVercetti, 02 August 2014 - 04:30 PM.

Yeah, i wish GTA was 100% serious.

I mean all this Enus Annis jokes are getting old and almost every commercial is about how bad the product is.

Even the vehicle descriptions in Car Sites are jokes.

Its getting really annoying when you are having this semi serious plot trying to work in this unfunny joke of a world.

Annis could also be an anagram of Nissan.
And some car descriptions are based on real life events. example: The Stanier's rear tank exploding when hit (which doesn't happen) is based on the Second Gen. Crown Victoria's problem, which is the rear tank exploding when hit.

SKOGS-SKUMMISEN
  • SKOGS-SKUMMISEN

Snitch

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

.-...--... ...- . naaaa its it so bad?

SingularSoul
  • SingularSoul

"Danger zonnnne".

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:19 PM Edited by SingularSoul, 02 August 2014 - 05:21 PM.

That commercial literally IS the issue.

The element of satire is lost because it crosses the line; The 4th wall, if you will.

The parody-style in V is far too obvious. It simply states issues with the things it's mocking in a childish, "look at me!" way.

Parody like this doesn't really work very well, because it TELLS the player what to think/feel about whatever it mocks, as opposed to allowing them to discover the humour themselves.

Take the commercial above, for example. "OUR AIRLINE IS sh*t! WE HATE OUR CUSTOMERS! HAHAHA, LAUGH, PLAYER, LAUGH AT R*s GENIUS HUMOUR, HAHAHA"

That's pretty much it.

I much prefer the idea of deadpan parody, where (for example) the airline proudly boasts about oddball aspects of it's service

(eg the seats having ejector buttons so you can jettison the fat snoring bastard who took the window seat) 

and then cutting to customers giving their view on the service eg.

"Fly US provide a great service. My baby started crying, disturbing everyone else, but the auto-seat-shaker soon took care of that. Thanks, Fly US!"

This is MUCH funner than simply stating how bad something is.

• universetwisters, HaythamKenway and Ermac like this

Novatic
  • Novatic

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:28 PM Edited by Novatic, 02 August 2014 - 05:29 PM.

I strongly disagree that the game should serious turn like GTA4. It was just too grey, plain and boring. I like the humor/realism/satire mix. GTA3/VC had some really funny gags going on the radio. I miss those times...

I hated the satire. If they want to be funny, why not go back to III and Vice City and take some notes there? If any of you ever played GTA 3, chances are you remember the radio commercials and got a kick out of them, like how silly the very idea of ordering animals through the mail or an SUV that's so big, little kids are lost in the back for extended periods of time. Now fast forward to GTA 5. Nearly all the commercials on the radio are the same copy/paste "our products suck - we suck as a company - you suck - buy our product" format. It's like they're dumbing down the humor to get new fans, not to mention the fact that nearly every product in the game is a joke, which severely counters the plot and how serious it tries to be.

Agree with you on GTA3/VC. Those games had some awesome commercials. With that being said, GTA5 also has some nice gems. Theres sadly a bit too far between them. I've hardly watched any TV - it just seems like a copy from GTA4. Pisswasser is still great, but I miss those creative, whacky new stuff, like Pogo or Giggle Cream. Its sad that R* have "simplified" the humor so the game will appeal to a bigger audience to sell more copies. Oh well, money talks $$$$$

• universetwisters likes this

SingularSoul
  • SingularSoul

"Danger zonnnne".

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:36 PM Edited by SingularSoul, 02 August 2014 - 05:48 PM.

I strongly disagree that the game should serious turn like GTA4. It was just too grey, plain and boring. I like the humor/realism/satire mix. GTA3/VC had some really funny gags going on the radio. I miss those times...

Common misconception. For me, IV had the best humour:Seriousness balance in the series. It's satire was SPOT ON, and occasionally hilariously over the top.

However, as the backdrop was a more serious, dark one, the contrast allowed the genius parody to shine through brilliantly.

Take this, for example:

• HaythamKenway and Journey_95 like this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:11 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 02 August 2014 - 06:15 PM.

I heard that the parody and satire elements actually started from 1999's GTA2,so why stop now,when it a big part of the GTA World for over 15yrs,lol it like saying Family Guy should stop be funny (lol)...anyways there is already IV and TLAD two games which were "THE MOST" Gritty and Less Satirical in the franchise,i think it was great seeing V not following that part esp. when the HD Era was going to be Very Serious than the 3D Era games.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

When are they going to have a nudist, a housewife, and a crazy pastor advertising a rocket church discuss morality on a public radio program again?

I mean, they had jock cranley quote mitt romney. But that's not funny because they didn't add anything to it. Fernando on a financial and political show? Great, except it was nothing more than another swipe at feminism because it's an easy target. I mean, they could have had him try to sell some cologne, or perhaps woo the producer on the show that they put in there, that could have been funny. Instead it's more swipes at feminism and liberals that doesn't even try anything other than the standard stereotypical crap.

Lazlow's part might have been funny if they had played it a bit less straightforward. As it is, listening to a man lament about the downfall of his career and about how he lost some of his shows because of some touching because FEMINISM LOL is not funny. In fact, it's quite depressing.

I liked BCR a bit more, but in all fairness it was only because of beyond insemination, which did do some things right. Even then, it resorts to the manly farmer football fan stereotype. The rest is worse though. Bless your heart... we get it. Ok? Fat people are fat and paula dean is kind of racist. We get it. It's half an hour of the same joke. Jock Cranley is just mitt romney combined with steven segal. Could have worked if they had just played up the absurdity. But they didn't. BCR Community hour is basically the alex jones show. Literally the alex jones show. They did nothing to take it beyond "Hey look, alex jones is crazy it's funny please laugh now". Nothing new, nothing exaggerated nearly enough to make it funny.

The rest of the game focuses on how much people with smartphones suck. And then it makes the same mistake everyone on the internet does. Blame the technology. Not the people who use it stupidly, oh no, it's the smart phones that are doing it. Smart phones. Always smart phones. Hey look, we called our facebook parody life invader! Laugh! The only exaggeration here is calling it stalking instead of following, but they don't even play that up. They could have had a funny commercial where some guy says "Now I know exactly where to hide in the bushes so I can get to know the woman I love more intimately." before the cops show up and pull him out of the bushes. Instead there's some jokes about data mining. Actually, they're not even jokes. They're just stating it exists. Hooray.

Jimmy is easily the worst point of humor in the whole game, which sucks because he's actually involved with a plot. He's a pot smoking fat gamer who games all the time and is fat and smokes. Also he's a wannabe gangster. Oh, and he's also terrible because he plays call of duty. Not because he calls people names over the voice chat or anything, nope, I guess call of duty made him terrible or something. Because call of duty is becoming the game equivalent of hitler to the internet, and I guess dan houser wanted in on calling all COD fans fat pot smoking trolls with no future. Hilarious. Did they take anything far enough for it to be funny? Like say, having jimmy get a thug life tattoo or golden teeth? Nope. He's just there to provide more "Social commentary".

This is a game that seriously hates everything. I think this is what max payne's mind looks like in max payne 3. Everyone a horrible stereotype or a criminal. Nothing done with subtlety, yet nothing over the top enough to be funny. They just threw a bunch of lazy stereotypes together and called it humor. In fact, the only thing the game legitimately seems to like is 80's rock. I think.

I still love it though, but only because the physics and the cheats make it absurdly fun to f*ck around in. And it's the only sandbox game with a roller coaster that you can ride in it. I like roller coasters. And planes are back. And there's a great big beach to relax on. That's why I keep playing. I don't turn on any talk radio stations, though.

• universetwisters, The_Anti-tragedy, HaythamKenway and 3 others like this

SingularSoul
  • SingularSoul

"Danger zonnnne".

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:21 PM Edited by SingularSoul, 02 August 2014 - 06:21 PM.

Nothing done with subtlety, yet nothing over the top enough to be funny. They just threw a bunch of lazy stereotypes together and called it humor.

Quote of the year, sir.

hat_doff.gif

Tony.
  • Tony.

I don't agree with that in the workplace

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

You know it's sad when Saints Row 1 has a better talk station than GTA V.

I thought the Mike & David Show was pretty good for a Saints Row station, nice satire of Conservative talk radio. The dialogue sounds natural and not like actors reading off a script, the jokes aren't based on over the top stereotypes and aren't too outlandish, and I think they only swear once in the entire thing. GTA V's radio shows are annoying to listen to. I'd rather listen to Mike and David talking about how there should be a violent video game about Jesus or how illegal immigrants should be forced to wear shock collars, rather than hear Lazlow complaining about how he's a washed-up celebrity on the brink of a nervous breakdown again, or the guy that plays Leon on Curb Your Enthusiasm going on and on about nothing and making weird noises in Chakra Attack.

• universetwisters and SingularSoul like this

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:45 PM Edited by Queen Elizabeth II, 02 August 2014 - 11:52 PM.

I loved Cluckin Bell commercial, amazing. And radio commercial in GTA III

You might need us, but we don't need you!

great.

I didn't play GTA V but this ugly-stupid commercial from GTA V posted in this thread pissed me off! Why the hell did he say "sh*t"? Not like it's an issue for me but.. it's NOT funny! Jokes are funnier without swears, seriously..

And I think that R* shouldn't stick to modern years like 2014+. We can't find it funny, because.. we live it NOW. For me, seeing stupid people on their phones isn't funny, just annoying. The same with hipsters etc.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:08 AM

And I think that R* shouldn't stick to modern years like 2014+. We can't find it funny, because.. we live it NOW. For me, seeing stupid people on their phones isn't funny, just annoying. The same with hipsters etc.

I think Rockstar is doing that so if people play the game in like 2020 or whatever, they'll look back and see how silly people are nowadays. And even then, they're doing an awful job at it.

ObsydianRaven
  • ObsydianRaven

Formerly Sethpenguin

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:03 AM

I think Rockstar needs to tone the satire down. V overdid it really badly and it's one of the reasons I didn't like it. 

Ray
  • Ray

I don't practice Santeria, I ain't got no crystal ball

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:25 AM

Man, I mss the humor from GTA III. Chatterbox never fails to put a smile on my face. Same with the commercials. Pets Overnight, Maibatsu Monstrosity, that's some quality stuff right there.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:02 AM

I don't know, but I think it's more of a problem with R*'s writing than the setting. Both IV and III were set in the (then) present day and it worked out fine.

I mean, you can see roots of V's annoying "everything is bad, everything is a sterotype, laugh at it" satire in IV already, but at least IV knew a limit. It was on the internet, it was on the radio, it was in the city, but it didn't rear its ugly head into the story. And when writers wanted to use the story for some social commentary, they were serious about it. It was much more effective.

In V, the satire actually took away from the story. Jimmy, Franklin's aunt, Debra and so on, they all felt like a punch in the face when they showed up. It's ironic that R* were much better at the satire when it wasn't one of their priorities, back in 3D era, than now when they actually make V's satire a big deal, even in their marketing.

• Ermac and Osho like this

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

• Members

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:12 AM

I think the problem here is that rockstar was making fun of a culture they hate, rather than one they love.

Take it back to vice city for instance. Every inch of it looks lovingly crafted. The first movie parodies, the talk radio stations, sh*t, they even made their own rock band. It feels like it's got soul and passion.

San Andreas began to show hints of weird realism choices such as hunger and dating and a bit more mean spirited satire, but still felt kind of fun.

GTA IV was the big turning point. It felt like a game struggling to be dramatic against it's roots, while not really using it's roots effectively aside from the sandbox gameplay. New physics meant only for hardcore people and anyone who didn't like them obviously weren't hardcore enough and tried to speed around corners like noobs because when you have no defense for the actual physics that's just what you turn to, even when you don't know how much experience the other guy actually has with the driving.

The humor became even more about social commentary and less about being funny, but not in a good way like lewis black. In fact the only really memorable radio program was that courthouse game show (what was it called? justice or no justice? I forget), and only because it had people shooting each other and gladiator battles in lion pits. A bit of insanity and honest to god laugh out loud humor that seemed to come from the heart. That was great.

GTA V has jack sh*t. The craziest stuff is confined to the space of their cartoons, and while I like the cartoons, you expect those to be crazy and wacky. They're cartoons. You don't expect pastors to shoot nudists when you listen to real talk radio, do you? You don't see courthouse justice game shows with lion pits (Did they fire that writer? Because they should hire him back.) do you?

Come to think of it, Vice City's story was a pretty basic one about some guy taking over the cocaine business. It didn't attempt social commentary because it was too busy being fun, which I liked. All of the satire was concentrated on the world. And it wasn't meant to be the real world, it was probably meant to be a recreation of the version of miami you see in scarface, not reality. That's why vice city's humor was so great. It was a movie world that asked "What would the movies in a movie world look like, sound like, and be marketed like?". The same went for cars, beer, and whatever else. I haven't played much of GTA III, but I'm assuming it was mostly the same there too.

GTA V seems like a game rockstar HATED making. I can sense tone in writing, specifically what mood a person was in when he wrote it. You can tell from the way it is written. And here, I think some person was just really angry with the world and didn't want to try hard to be funny, so he threw some stereotypes together and strung it together with weak string. While vice city was a movie world with it's own movies and culture ala Robocop and Tropic Thunder, GTA V is someone's diary about how they hate los angeles and politics and hollywood and basically everything. And that's why the humor fails.

killdrivetheftvehicle
  • killdrivetheftvehicle

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:58 AM Edited by killdrivetheftvehicle, 03 August 2014 - 10:58 AM.

GTA is satire of american culture from the European perspective. V was the same quality as the others, some of you just have grown out of liking it, that's all.

• BLOOD-MOND likes this

Loc14
  • Loc14

King of Los Santos

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

GTA and Saints Row are the only games that dare make fun of the greatest country on earth, and thank God atleast they do it.

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

the greatest country on earth

That's your opinion.

• Tony. likes this

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

• Members

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

GTA is satire of american culture from the European perspective. V was the same quality as the others, some of you just have grown out of liking it, that's all.

Put that to the test. Listen to VCPR and then listen to Blaine County Radio or the GTA V version of WCTR and see if it's actually the same.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

Put that to the test. Listen to VCPR and then listen to Blaine County Radio or the GTA V version of WCTR and see if it's actually the same.

Hell, even listen to K-Chat and one of the other interview shows in GTA 5.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users