Photo

So the whole shooting mechanic...

41 replies to this topic
Rexpower_
  • Rexpower_

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:49 AM Edited by Rexpower_, 02 August 2014 - 06:11 AM.

So, I have made some tests regarding the whole shooting mechanic in this game and well... It's sorta a terrible one. Why?

Well for starters, the weapons are waaayyy too accurate, leaving the ones that are not pinpoint usually useless. Plus the camera angles can be really bad but lets start with the first thing on my list.

The useful weapons.

Accurate guns:
Carbine
Combat MG
ADV Rifle
Special Carbine

Inaccurate and useless:
AK
ALL SMGS!!!!!
MG (PKP)
And the Type 56?

Edited: (MOBILE SUCKS)
Worth noting, players generally favor the accurate guns as they love nailing headshots fast. However as I'm not against this, really now we need a variety.

Most of the guns Ive seen is the Carbine,
Its a good all arounder. However most of the other guns are usually thrown aside because what's the point of using them.

I have also tested some of the guns damage at their max range:

AK, Carbine, MG, COMBAT MG, TYPE 56: 13 HEADSHOTS

ADV rifle/ Special carbine: 12 Headshots

They're really isn't a difference but some of them should really be useful in it's own way.

Not only that, but what is the point of SMGS if they're totally gonna be useless?

Low damage, lower fire rate than assault rifles, and atrocious accuracy.

Now the Rolling mechanic, my god. It's so broken it's not even funny. Picture it like this:

PLAYER A gets the surprise on PLAYER B

PLAYER B rolls

Player A rolls also

Both players shoot each other with atleast 2-3 bullets before ROLLING again

Player B emerges victorious because of the amount of times he's able to spam the X or Square button just to save his ass.

Now I never had a problem with rolling but jesus people will SPAM it. I usually take them out because I've mastered shooting them in the middle of the roll but it should take longer for the roll to happen and a bigger delay between rolls.

Also it SHOULD not break lock on, that is completely stupid. Firefights turn into a huge circus party with everyone rolling around.

No I'm not a bad player who just got their ass kicked. I can hold my ground, just somethings are really stupid.

Also the weapons really need to be diverse.

Uzi: Fire rate like the BULLPUP, terrible accuracy but damage should be average

MP5: High accuracy, med damage/FR

ADV SMG? : medium accuracy, High damage and high FR

AK: AVERAGE ALL AROUND

CARBINE: High Accuracy, med damage, slightly slow FR

ADV: slight below average accuracy, HIGH Damage and FR

Special carbine: high accuracy and damage, slow FR

BULLPUP: low accuracy, med damage, HIGH FR

MG: AVERAGE ACCURACY, high damage, low FR

Combat MG: High accuracy, med damage, FR on par with CARBINE.

As of right now, there's really no use in the different weapons as they're all generic as hell. Some completely useless and some just spot on good.

If things don't really make sense, sorry. Im exhausted and probably am not thinking straight. Other than that, what do you guys think?

PS: re edited cause IPhones are terrible.
  • Joekill95 likes this

Darth_Zannah
  • Darth_Zannah

Sith'ari

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:51 AM

Right on. Gta has never been known for it's accurate targeting system. To date I say this wasn't isn't too bad. It's just the accuracy of NPC's that bugs the Hell out of me. 

• Joekill95, XXCrimsonXX, madmanaz and 6 others like this

madmanaz
  • madmanaz

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:55 AM

It does seem like many of the mission baddies are marines. I'll give them a little benefit towards accuracy. But there is no reason a fat lady should pull a buttered gun from her folds and take me down with two well placed head shots from a block away.
  • lihety and Darth_Zannah like this

livejoker
  • livejoker

Halloween is Pedo Day!

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:58 AM Edited by livejoker, 02 August 2014 - 06:19 AM.

Is this thread incomplete? You said "first thing on my list" and you got two categories naming a few things. That's not a list, that's a "here's the good news and bad news" type of deal.

OT of lacking post: Yeah, some weapons are quite accurate such as the Combat MG. It goes around a bit but I would expect recoil to go like crazy but some other weapons such as the Special Carbine are just perfect.

*edit due to added OP parts*

The reason for weapons to suck is that those are cheaper. They're useless now when you can be a low level and always have money to buy the best weapon but when I started GTA:O I remember I stuck with the uzi for a LONG time as grinding wasn't really there (and I like how gansta it made me to have a sh*tty weapon...so...there was that). Also, weapons unlock at certain levels so you don't always have a Combat MG to use. R* ruined it by adding DLC weapons available from the start. Start a new character, get invited to Rooftop Rumble for some money and then go buy the Special Carbine. Now go kill level 100+ players while you're level 3 and got a Special Carbine. Yeah, it sucks.

Also, the headshot statistics depends solely on player skill. It's really irritating me how every OP makes himself sound so badass (not you, specifically) and has mad skills. Where are all the bad GTA:O players? I know some people suck big time. Where are they? Anyway, as said, it depends on player skill. Hell, you can get a stock pistol headshot from a a good walking distance. GTA isn't a simulator, it caters to most things such as shooting and driving but it doesn't do it extremely good. It does it well, at most.

But I'm glad you did testing. Just like science, you gotta test and test until you find an answer and then test that answer to find better answers. Keep at it! :)

• TheBigMish96 and RoyalRedXIII like this

luisniko
  • luisniko

@ Elpis

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:03 AM

You say UZI is useless??

Oh dear no. Try blind shooting with it to a survival heli. Damage may not be high, but fire rate is like mini minigun.

• TheBigMish96 likes this

Rexpower_
  • Rexpower_

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:14 AM

Is this thread incomplete? You said "first thing on my list" and you got two categories naming a few things. That's not a list, that's a "here's the good news and bad news" type of deal.

OT of lacking post: Yeah, some weapons are quite accurate such as the Combat MG. It goes around a bit but I would expect recoil to go like crazy but some other weapons such as the Special Carbine are just perfect.

Yeah I know, re-edited cause of the stupid phone

You say UZI is useless??

Oh dear no. Try blind shooting with it to a survival heli. Damage may not be high, but fire rate is like mini minigun.

I love the UZI in CQC, already have all weapon tints on it. It's just a little too inaccurate ESPECIALLY with that AUTO shotty.
  • livejoker likes this

dreaded_verse
  • dreaded_verse

O.G.A.

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:15 AM

Has anyone noticed how wimpy the mini-uzi sounds as compared to the mini-uzi in GTA IV?

Biohazard Abyss!
  • Biohazard Abyss!

Alpha.

• Members
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:34 AM

IV's shooting is a lot better, but still not perfect of course.

• hei3enberg likes this

SolidSnails
  • SolidSnails

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:35 AM

Ak47 master race.
  • MilezDawg, AceCrossHairs and iRideIndependent like this

Rexpower_
  • Rexpower_

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:38 AM Edited by Rexpower_, 02 August 2014 - 06:39 AM.

IV's shooting is a lot better, but still not perfect of course.

IV was my favorite. Nothing was out of line or too strong.
  • hei3enberg and A Maned Wolf like this

homeskillet
  • homeskillet

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:59 AM Edited by homeskillet, 02 August 2014 - 06:14 PM.

Time to graduate from AA.

MentallyAdvancedPony
  • MentallyAdvancedPony

aka rawrsnar

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:59 AM

I never understood why the MG has such a slow fire rate even though the stats put it high above other machine guns in this aspect. Seems kind of stupid IMO and really kills the gun for me.

G o d
  • G o d

The Creator Of Everything

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

bullpup rifle nuff said

ChrilLe
  • ChrilLe

The only ChrilLe you know and need!

• Members
  • Denmark

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

HK416 masterrace.
  • The7thOne and JetsRLove like this

Milesinho
  • Milesinho

Peon

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

If rolling didn't break lock-on, what would be the point of it?
  • Ishan826, RoyalRedXIII and AceCrossHairs like this

madmanaz
  • madmanaz

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:06 AM

I still play with the Uzi since it isn't as strong as the AP Pistol and still allows me to without blowing up player vehicles. and I especially like the sawed off shotty for motorcycles.

blakeney
  • blakeney

⚖☮▲

• Members

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:12 AM Edited by blakeney, 02 August 2014 - 10:18 AM.

I came to discuss shooting ol'johnny on the spot, and got a massive detailed piece on somebody's findings while messing with guns!! Kinda feel duped but also like the kid the comes to a party with no card and/or present!

edit**

Combat MG for me, it has the distance, power and to top it of, you can aim anywhere and let the recoil find their head! Once you get used to the mag size, getting to cover in time for a reload is second nature.

I must add thou, I rarely do t/dm etc mainly contact missions, and that's all just based on my preference, for all i know combat mg might be known to suck compared to x y or z.

Sneakerfeen11
  • Sneakerfeen11

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:19 AM Edited by Sneakerfeen11, 02 August 2014 - 10:20 AM.

If you're playing in a AA lobby what do you expect? The mechanics of the weapons are irrelevant, but in FA it matters to a degree. GTA in general doesn't have good gun physics and it shouldn't. The game focuses on so many different things that it would be almost impossible for R* to master a certain part of the gameplay. GTA is designed for random fun, not it's gun/racing physics. There are times where I am barely paying attention to the game while in the middle of a pvp, but still killing the player. I don't understand people who get owned or are able to own someone else in a AA lobby. People who destroy another player must be picking on a total noob or the other player isn't taking it serious. You have to basically TRY to get killed for someone to own you. 

Karlitoz-E
  • Karlitoz-E

SiiR

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

Ok cool

T0X1C
  • T0X1C

Carry on My Wayward Son

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

*Freeaim.
Only range matters in AA, otherwise it's just whoever presses aim + shoot the fastest. Accuracy is irrelevant when you have an aimbot. :p

Winning001
  • Winning001

Join the cool people. Set it to North Korea today!

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

Sorry to be a gun nazi. The MG is not a PKP or even any PK machine gun as the MG in game shoots an intermediate cartridge and the PK series shoots a full rifle round. It's most likely a Type-88 mg, chambered in an intermediate cartridge also used in the QBZ-95 series and QBU-88. My biggest gripe with the guns is that just about all of them do not match up with their fire rate. So half assed

slowburn29
  • slowburn29

Significantly more hydrated than you

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

It does seem like many of the mission baddies are marines. I'll give them a little benefit towards accuracy. But there is no reason a fat lady should pull a buttered gun from her folds and take me down with two well placed head shots from a block away.

I bought IV for 10 bucks the other day. Felt like I was in god mode during a shootout with npcs

dvntsvnt
  • dvntsvnt

gg, no re

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

TL;DR I never shot my mechanic, I mostly hit him with melee attacks. I miss johnny on the spot :(
  • livejoker, Ishan826 and Riprock like this

InfernalOutcast
  • InfernalOutcast

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

The SMG's good in close quarters. All those other guns aren't bad but compared to others in their group, yeah they're bad.

stonedpimpso
  • stonedpimpso

He's coming for you...

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

Free aim. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Also tldr.
  • RoyalRedXIII likes this

frankenstein107
  • frankenstein107

grond thoft auto

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

Play free aim, your gun's accuracy wouldn't matter as much as your accuracy.

I agree that the SMGs suck tho, the damage is just too piss low.

• RoyalRedXIII likes this

RoyalRedXIII
  • RoyalRedXIII

CASUAL VETERAN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:54 PM Edited by RoyalRedXIII, 02 August 2014 - 04:55 PM.

*Freeaim.
Only range matters in AA, otherwise it's just whoever presses aim + shoot the fastest. Accuracy is irrelevant when you have an aimbot. :p

No, it's actually the EXACT opposite of that. Accuracy only matter in AA and it's BECAUSE if the aimbot. Your in control of your own accuracy in free aim. And since there is seemingly very little to no recoil on any of the weapons in GTA, not even that matters.

And also, contrary to popular belief, the person who aims and shoots the fastest is NOT always the victor. It's the person who can make the right call in the heat of the moment, or who can make the best decision.

For instance: a guy can aim and shoot at me first with his SMG, but if I have a stronger weapon, like an MG, I can respond second, and still kill him, if he doesn't get a head shot, especially if I roll. Not to mention, there are plenty of other variables that can be involved in a scenario [i have been on both sides of this]

If you notice, there is a stat for "counter attacks" :p

homeskillet
  • homeskillet

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

TL;DR I never shot my mechanic, I mostly hit him with melee attacks. I miss johnny on the spot :(

Why are you even here?

dvntsvnt
  • dvntsvnt

gg, no re

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

Why are you even here?

Shooting the mechanic, the thread said. I never have. Why are any of us here?

• Riprock likes this

rickreim
  • rickreim

Friendly Neighborhood Murderer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

I agree with you OP on the combat rolling. I've said before, I hate when a gunfight turns into a gymnastics floor exercise
  • MilezDawg and gtafan26 like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users