Quantcast

» «
Photo

What Year You want the Next GTA Set in?

45 replies to this topic

Poll: What Decade You Want the Next GTA set in? (38 member(s) have cast votes)

What Year You want the Next GTA Set in?

1. 50's (1 votes [2.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

2. 60's (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 70's (17 votes [44.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.74%

4. 80's (3 votes [7.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

5. 90's (2 votes [5.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

6. 2000's (1 votes [2.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

7. Modern Day (14 votes [36.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote
zuckmeslow
  • zuckmeslow

Writer/Director

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:12 AM Edited by zuckmeslow, 04 August 2014 - 01:15 AM.

The 70's would be interesting to see.
Though it's always funny to see people complaining about modern society. Yeah because the 50's or 60's were so much better. If you weren't a minority.

did you read what i wrote,

THE ISSUE THAT WE HAVE BROUGHT UP IS ABOUT THE FACT THAT THERE IS TOO MUCH SHOVING IN YOUR FACE OF MODERN CULTURE. 

I DO NOT PLAY ESCAPIST ENTERTAINMENT SO I CAN BE REMINDED OF ALL THE THINGS I HATE OF TODAYS CULTURE. THE OVERUSE OF CELL PHONES, THE POLITICS, "MILLENNIALS ISSUES", THE LIBERAL VS CONSERVATIVE sh*t.

I WANT TO BE ENGROSSED IN A WORLD OF GTA, NOT A WORLD OF 2014 AMERICA TIMES 10

IF I PLAY A GTA GAME THAT TAKES PLACE IN THE 50'S OR THE 60'S AND ITS FULL OF THE TIME PERIODS CULTURE, SO WHAT. I DONT LIVE IN THE 50'S, I DONT LIVE IN THE 60'S. 

BUT I DO LIVE IN 2014, AND I DONT NEED TO BE REMINDED OF THAT BECAUSE IF I WANTED TO EXPERIENCE 2014 CULTURE, ILL GO OUTSIDE.

do you understand.

i remember the neigborhood in brooklyn my grandparents used to live in. beautiful neigborhood in the late 90's to the early 2000's. it was full of nice people that would greet you as you walk by, it had many family owned deli's and pizzerias. 

now in that same neigborhood is nothing but hipster on their apple iphones walking around not caring about the world around them. all the family owned businesses are gone and have been replaced by starbucks and apple stores. i dont need that reminder in a video game im trying to escape into

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:13 AM Edited by Piggsy pls, 04 August 2014 - 01:18 AM.

Though it's always funny to see people complaining about modern society. Yeah because the 50's or 60's were so much better. If you weren't a minority.

It's not social issues itself we're annoyed by, but rather that social issues are the only things the game uses as a medium for humor.

Oh I wasn't just talking about real life, but when people in the games do it, too. Even VC for instance parodied 80's society issues. But I agree that the humor needs to be more original next time.

The thing about Vice City was that it did those jokes in moderation, such as the "invading soviets" gimmick on the Ammu-Nation commercials and I believe it being mentioned by Pastor Richards on VCPR, and that was cool and it was tolerable, especially seeing as the bulk of the game didn't throw the same "hurr soviets r gunna invade lol" line at you every time you turn the radio on.

Yeah the constant liberals vs conservatives jokes in V got old, they need to better material to work with.
One thing I loved in GTA III and LCS was how they parodied things like the "end time" scare and the fear of technology, that why I think another time piece might be what the series needs if they don't want the humor to seem dry.

EDIT: To zuckmeslow, well if you have a GTA set in the 50's or 60's you will inevitably get a bunch of bad parodies of the civil rights movement, you honestly want that?

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:22 AM

EDIT: To zuckmeslow, well if you have a GTA set in the 50's or 60's you will inevitably get a bunch of bad parodies of the civil rights movement, you honestly want that?

One, I don't think there would be a "bad parody" of the civil rights movement unless whoever's making the joke is supposed to be racist. And even then, it should be done in moderation, which is what we've been trying to get at. It's not funny if a 60s GTA game shoves the same "lol dont let blacks in our school" or "lol hippies are smelly" jokes on us.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:28 AM

One, I don't think there would be a "bad parody" of the civil rights movement unless whoever's making the joke is supposed to be racist. And even then, it should be done in moderation, which is what we've been trying to get at. It's not funny if a 60s GTA game shoves the same "lol dont let blacks in our school" or "lol hippies are smelly" jokes on us.

Even if it's in moderation I just don't think there's a way to do it without seeming forced whenever it comes in, because here you have an issue that was so prevelant in those times, it can only seem either underplayed or overplayed. That was also problem with V's humor to me. If it's set in the 70's they could avoid that.

zuckmeslow
  • zuckmeslow

Writer/Director

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:29 AM

It's not social issues itself we're annoyed by, but rather that social issues are the only things the game uses as a medium for humor.

Oh I wasn't just talking about real life, but when people in the games do it, too. Even VC for instance parodied 80's society issues. But I agree that the humor needs to be more original next time.

The thing about Vice City was that it did those jokes in moderation, such as the "invading soviets" gimmick on the Ammu-Nation commercials and I believe it being mentioned by Pastor Richards on VCPR, and that was cool and it was tolerable, especially seeing as the bulk of the game didn't throw the same "hurr soviets r gunna invade lol" line at you every time you turn the radio on.

Yeah the constant liberals vs conservatives jokes in V got old, they need to better material to work with.
One thing I loved in GTA III and LCS was how they parodied things like the "end time" scare and the fear of technology, that why I think another time piece might be what the series needs if they don't want the humor to seem dry.

parodies of civil rights movement. no thankyou.   50's and 60's gta yes please. 

the humor should make fun of the 50's culture not parody all the politics of it.

like fallout 3 basically did even though it was in the future, its culture was like a parody of the crazy 1950's space age ambition.

stuff like this

make fun of the crazy technology of the 1950's and the crazy futuristic outlook on life. it would be nice to have a grand theft auto game take place in the 50's but stay out of mafia territory.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:46 AM

Even if it's in moderation I just don't think there's a way to do it without seeming forced whenever it comes in, because here you have an issue that was so prevelant in those times, it can only seem either underplayed or overplayed. That was also problem with V's humor to me. If it's set in the 70's they could avoid that.

I only thing those problems are big depending on where you are. Are civil rights as big of an issue up in the northwest as they were in the south? Not really. Were hippies as big in Ohio as they were in San Francisco or New York? Nope.

Spadge007
  • Spadge007

Low-rider

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:26 AM

Next game is probably going to be set in the '70s.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:31 AM

I know it's not the most popular opinion, but I would like to see another modern day GTA. I don't know why people bitch and moan about references to politics and what not as you're going to get that in any decade.

One reason I hope it stays modern is the integration of modern technology such as the internet and mobile phones.

If I had to choose another period it would be the 70s otherwise I want it to be modern. Perhaps modern Boston with a The Departed influence.

I'll agree with the last paragraph. If not 70's SF, Boston is the only city I will accept in a present day setting for the next installment. Not Vice City, not Las Venturas, not SF, not anywhere else.

That said I think the only reason we got LC and LS in the 21st century is because they're always relevant in modern culture. They're the two most iconic cities in the US after all.
  • ObsydianRaven likes this

Special Members
  • Special Members

You Don't Know The Power Of Fried Chicken

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

I think a game about the Vietnam war, racial conflicts, hippies and drugs could work. Set between 1967-1973.

70s San Fierro, Liberty City or Las Venturas also seem interesting.

StephenJY3
  • StephenJY3

is epic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

90s New York or modern day again.

I would love a modern day game but a 90s New York would look stunning and make for a great game

Judicious 7
  • Judicious 7

Compassionate

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

I'm kinda undecided here. A 70s setting sounds cool, but the location is kinda 'iffy'. I voted for a 70s theme, but I think they would be cutting things kinda close with piggybacking off of Vice City's aura of theme. However, I do kinda like the 90s theme too, as I can recall it was a great and rich time for America. I do not have a problem with Modern Day however, but if it's anything like GTA V was, then i'll pass. The jokes and humor based on culture was just dry and uncreative. GTA IV did it better, and even then it wasn't trying to remind you of cultural issues every 5 minutes.

PooyanCyrus
  • PooyanCyrus

iFruit fanboys are idiots

• Members
  • Mars
  • Best Concept Story 2013 "Grand Theft Auto: Ultimate"

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

70's San Fierro would be nice.

RMolloy24
  • RMolloy24

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

What was iconic about San Francisco in the 70s? I don't much about it.

Severe
  • Severe

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

What was iconic about San Francisco in the 70s? I don't much about it.

Dirty Harry, pretty much. Bullitt is set in late 60s, so maybe that too.

quxxo
  • quxxo

where's my money shrek?

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

Modern day in San Fierro.

maxpaynefan
  • maxpaynefan

"Time moves forward, and nothing changes"- Max Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:24 PM Edited by maxpaynefan, 06 August 2014 - 11:24 PM.

80's liberty city or 90's Boston

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users