Transporting cars via planes.

10 replies to this topic
tommyboy9413
  • tommyboy9413

Danger

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:39 PM

Is it possible to transport cars via plane? I was wondering because I saw a car with a Hawaii license plate on the mainland United States in states like California, Texas, and my home state New Hampshire.

Zyo
  • Zyo

Homeboy

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:46 PM

Planes yes, but shipping them is more likely.....

Winning001
  • Winning001

Join the cool people. Set it to North Korea today!

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

Its most likely transported by ship, since you can carry a lot more stuff and it is probably cheaper

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:22 PM

generally speaking, no one transports their car by plane unless they're a filthy rich oil sheik.

cars are shipped, not flown.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:09 PM Edited by epoxi, 03 August 2014 - 09:16 PM.

Financially speaking, transporting by air only makes sense in motorsport: where there is a tight schedule plus 100s of support staff on the payroll who are essentially wasted resources for the duration the car(s) are being transported.

Auto conventions would be another exception if you want to showcase your absolute latest prototype.

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:42 AM

One of my mom's co-workers moved to Hawaii and had her car shipped and said it took over 2 weeks from when she dropped it off to when she was able to pick it up.  She ended up moving back about a year later and decided to sell her car rather than go through the hassle and cost of shipping again.

I've never actually heard of anybody having their car transported by airplane.  I imagine it would be incredibly expensive.

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:44 AM

It just doesn't make sense, financially to ship Cars via Aircraft, The already insanely limited space on a plane could be used for more valuable and important cargo.

If someone ships their car overseas, they do it by boat.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:13 AM

Normally all cars are shipped by sea except in this two cases:

- Some rich dude wants his supercars taken from point A to point B and he can afford paying the plane.

- Some racing teams need to race every week and they can't wait to have their cars arrive in two weeks time.

SingingEwe954
  • SingingEwe954

Jack of All Trades

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

When cars are shipped overseas do they use individual shipping containers or is there a special room under the ship for them

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

As far I know, single car shipments are shipped in containers and large scale shipments in RORO car carriers.

roro_shipping.jpg

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:58 AM

Normally all cars are shipped by sea except in this two cases:

- Some rich dude wants his supercars taken from point A to point B and he can afford paying the plane.

- Some racing teams need to race every week and they can't wait to have their cars arrive in two weeks time.

Showroom cars are also flown by plane.  Think about how many times Top Gear mentions the car was flown in 'today'.  I am not sure they are always completely true about the timing, but being flown by plane makes sense.  A large car manufacturer can do that, and they usually work on the showroom cars till just before it needs being revealed.  So transport speed is of the essence.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users