Quantcast

» «
Photo

What is the difference between catch up and slipstream?

22 replies to this topic
trippy bongos
  • trippy bongos

lift em up again

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

hi,I don't know the difference between these two things.When I'm leading in a race,I can't go faster.I slow down involuntary,is this an effect of catch up?If yes,what is slipstream?

• StormerBoy likes this

RDT33
  • RDT33

That Guy from that Thing

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:42 PM

Well they're both evil....

But one slows down the 1st place car, and the other allows people to draft.

• vipprimo likes this

Davexen
  • Davexen

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:42 PM

Catchup: The more you are ahead, the more your vehicle will be slowed down. So if you're in first place you'll go so painfully slow that you will be overtaken in seconds even if you have a decent lead. Terrible feature. 

Slipstream: If you drive directly behind a rival your vehicle will temporarily speed up, allowing you to overtake them. Has no effect when there is no rival directly in front of you. A little less terrible than catchup but still pretty terrible.

• StormerBoy, 2281, TimelyMeerkat and 5 others like this

Charles_Lee_Raye
  • Charles_Lee_Raye

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

Yah thats catchup. Most people dont like it as its wildly unrealistic. Slipstream is at least based on reality. When you get close enough to a car at high speeds you will catch a drift of air from their car making your car go faster as long as you remain in that air pocket.

So there is real physics involved with sliostreaming and catchup is just a game mechanic to keep races more even. So crappy racers can keep with pros..

Heists
  • Heists

Do you have the Need For Speed?

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:52 PM

Catchup: The more you are ahead, the more your vehicle will be slowed down. So if you're in first place you'll go so painfully slow that you will be overtaken in seconds even if you have a decent lead. Terrible feature. 

Slipstream: If you drive directly behind a rival your vehicle will temporarily speed up, allowing you to overtake them. Has no effect when there is no rival directly in front of you. A little less terrible than catchup but still pretty terrible.

They aren't very good features as how unrealistic they are. However if you involuntarily get spun out to 16th place these features can save your bacon a bit. 

But they do kind of keep things interesting in the long haul races and the like, just because of how long they are.

madmanaz
  • madmanaz

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

Too bad "slip streaming" barely applies in auto racing anymore. Indy cars have a button, limited usage (usually) or stored energy from braking. That button allows an indy races to zip around other drivers at the cost of potentially not being able to boost later.

Some people claim that adds to the excitement. I think it makes the "sport" less about skill and more about "lol I push button in already stupid fast car".

More On Topic: Catch up is the worst thing for racing in GTA. If you wrecked in a corner or took a wrong turn, don't penalize me by shutting down my higher gears. Allow them to lose by as much space as possible. I love lapping squeaker kids on Criminal Records.
  • lol232 likes this

Forager
  • Forager

No Count A$$hole

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:49 PM Edited by Forager, 01 August 2014 - 04:50 PM.

Have you noticed you can hear the slipstream effect? It's a slight ringing sound, like a bearing or something, when you close in on a car in front. Kinda funny.

• trippy bongos likes this

manicmechanic71
  • manicmechanic71

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

I think of it as the wind whistling
  • Forager likes this

elfoam
  • elfoam

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

Anyone that sets a race with catch up on deserves to be jet greifed. Why that setting is even in the game make no sense.. Slipstream is ok by me but catch up NEVER.
  • lol232 likes this

MookStunna
  • MookStunna

Il Duce; The Fuel Junkie Mafia

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

Think of it like this:

Catch Up:  Makes the leader appear to have a giant piano in their car, thus allowing other cars in the pack to catch and potentially pass.

Slipstream:  Think of this similar to drafting in NASCAR.  You are using the force and energy from the car ahead of you to gain ground on them, and potentially pass them.  The term "Shake n Bake" from Talladega Nights comes to mind.

tumblr_lrkhc6mphg1qh54gpo1_500.gif?w=300

elfoam
  • elfoam

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:42 PM

Too bad "slip streaming" barely applies in auto racing anymore. Indy cars have a button, limited usage (usually) or stored energy from braking. That button allows an indy races to zip around other drivers at the cost of potentially not being able to boost later.
Some people claim that adds to the excitement. I think it makes the "sport" less about skill and more about "lol I push button in already stupid fast car".
More On Topic: Catch up is the worst thing for racing in GTA. If you wrecked in a corner or took a wrong turn, don't penalize me by shutting down my higher gears. Allow them to lose by as much space as possible. I love lapping squeaker kids on Criminal Records.

It's still used in racing and will always be so long as we live in this planet. The electric motors and DRS in Formula one these days just helps but they still get a big gain from natural slipstream.
  • ZeroF0rce likes this

Milesinho
  • Milesinho

Prankster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

They aren't very good features as how unrealistic they are. However if you involuntarily get spun out to 16th place these features can save your bacon a bit. 

But they do kind of keep things interesting in the long haul races and the like, just because of how long they are.

I always turn catch up and slip stream off when I host. In my experience it kills the rammers because most of them are simply not good enough to drive a clean lap. Therefore, as soon as you get ahead of them and they can't ram you, they're screwed :)

Even if you do get pitted, chances are you'll be able to catch them because they'll most likely end up taking themselves out trying to pit someone else. Always good for a giggle lol

Cubia_Beta
  • Cubia_Beta

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

I don't think some of you understand the mechanics of slipstreaming, or drafting for better terms.

Drafting only occurs when a vehicle follows another vehicle within a certain distance.

Say you're behind a car traveling at high speeds. The car in front of you is constantly hitting a wall of air.

At a certain distance, your car will begin to gain speed due to the front cart shielding you from that wall of air.

This is why you hear that whistling noise every time you're in a slipstream,

This reduces the drag of your vehicle, allowing you to consistently gain speed until you eventually slingshot pass the front car.

But once you do that, your car will immediately hit the wall of air, reducing your speed dramatically, and the cycle repeats.

robboy18
  • robboy18

?

• Members
  • Aland

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:59 PM

I don't understand why everyone is bitching about catch up.  If you're good at racing then it doesn't make much of a difference.  Although when you're spun out by some stupid mong who can't drive for sh*t, it can help you get back in the game.

• manicmechanic71 likes this

Oldman_Jenkins
  • Oldman_Jenkins

I'm glad I gave up farming

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

Have you noticed you can hear the slipstream effect? It's a slight ringing sound, like a bearing or something, when you close in on a car in front. Kinda funny.

My guess is they took the sound directly from Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition Remix.

OT: Catchup and Slipstream are terrible. I'd rather host my own races with 1-3 people rather than doing a full lobby of Nurburgring with Catchup and Slipstream on. Thats why I joined Red Rum Racing.

trippy bongos
  • trippy bongos

lift em up again

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

I think of it as the wind whistling

it sounds like supercharger.Cars with supercharger make the same sound 

djdest
  • djdest

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

I don't understand why everyone is bitching about catch up.  If you're good at racing then it doesn't make much of a difference.  Although when you're spun out by some stupid mong who can't drive for sh*t, it can help you get back in the game.

It can make a huge difference!
Ive got big leads in races and then the catchup gets worse and worse until it feels like you're driving along with the brakes on!
It makes no difference how good a driver you are if your car is being slowed down beyond your control and the cars behind are not.

elfoam
  • elfoam

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:09 PM

Catch up makes your car so slow you can be 100% sure if anyone else in the race can drive at all sooner or later you will get passed. It's a stupid stupid thing to have in the game.

Buckminsterfullerene
  • Buckminsterfullerene

WHY AM I STILL GETTING HATE?

• Members
  • Liberia

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:18 PM

I don't think some of you understand the mechanics of slipstreaming, or drafting for better terms.

Drafting only occurs when a vehicle follows another vehicle within a certain distance.

Say you're behind a car traveling at high speeds. The car in front of you is constantly hitting a wall of air.

At a certain distance, your car will begin to gain speed due to the front cart shielding you from that wall of air.

This is why you hear that whistling noise every time you're in a slipstream,

This reduces the drag of your vehicle, allowing you to consistently gain speed until you eventually slingshot pass the front car.

But once you do that, your car will immediately hit the wall of air, reducing your speed dramatically, and the cycle repeats.

It's called air resistance, not wall of air, lol.

GRM1985
  • GRM1985

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:06 PM Edited by GRM1985, 01 August 2014 - 10:09 PM.

It's still used in racing and will always be so long as we live in this planet. The electric motors and DRS in Formula one these days just helps but they still get a big gain from natural slipstream.

Slipstream doesn't work so well in F1 or Indycar because the cars rely heavily on downforce generated by air passing over the car. If the car in front is punching a hole in the air the car following looses grip. The air from the leading car is also very hot this causes the following car to overheat. While you will get a straight line advantage it usually won't be enough this is why DRS was introduced in F1 and boost button in Indycar.

On topic catch up sucks because it punishes good drivers, if I'm leading a race and I crash fair enough....but to see my lead whittled away whilst driving well is annoying.

Davexen
  • Davexen

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:03 AM

So what if you're "good at racing" and you race someone who is also "good at racing"? The outcome of races is often determined by small (im)perfections. Taking a corner at just a slightly better angle than the other driver, hitting the apex just a little closer, accellerating just a little quicker without slipping. You win by gaining fractions of seconds on corners, and all of this is completely thrown out the window by the game punishing you for being the better driver. 

iSaint9
  • iSaint9

cum bak in 10 yrs

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:08 AM

With ketchup on (yes, ketchup lol i r so funneh) and going on 1st place in an Adder, even an Emperor would overtake you. That's why small kids use it.

Tali vas Normandy
  • Tali vas Normandy

Cheers Love! The Cavalry is here!!!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:25 AM

If catch up was off then the cock sucker who pits people would still be in the back like the rest of the asshats and bad drivers.
  • DriveLikeAViking likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users