Photo

Do people care about KDR?

175 replies to this topic
ninjaontour
  • ninjaontour

Squeak Slayer

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:47 PM Edited by ninjaontour, 02 August 2014 - 02:47 PM.

The only people you can really take seriously are people with a high KD who say it doesn't matter to them. People with sh*tty KDRs will often say that it doesn't matter because it's not an FPS... These people are idiots (perspective has no bearing on skill or KDR relevance; Gears of War).

RoyalRed made a good point earlier in the thread that it's one of those stats which only has as much weight as the player gives it. For example, my main characters KDR is 4.32, my alt character is under 1.00, and the reason behind that is I use my alt to screw around and have fun in private lobbies with my buddies, and use my main to wreck fools in public. Neither of the KDRs matter to me, they're merely byproducts of me playing the game different ways.

Whilst you may think KDR doesn't matter, it still gives people viewing your Gamercard an insight into how skilled you might be at a glance.

• nanderson187 likes this

Darth_Rob
  • Darth_Rob

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

I didn't even know what a KDR was until people started bragging about theirs.

Mine's 10 inches, by the way.

dzian
  • dzian

Prankster

• Members

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:50 PM Edited by dzian, 02 August 2014 - 03:53 PM.

I dont even know & to me as long as it stays above 1.0 then im fine. K/D is a joke in this game for various reasons such as auto aim, tanks, rooftop snipping, bulletproof car killing, killing AFC players and etc. its not really hard to cheaply boost it & i think people care so much because a high one symbolizes that a player is very well skilled but this Grand Theft Auto that we are talking about LOL.

KD has no measure of skill at all In any game you play.

If players were ranked from 1 to 10 in terms if skills. Then younmight flight a rank 4 player has a kd of 3 or higher. But a rank 8 player with more skills might only have a kd of 0.9.

To the uninformed gamer this looks like the rank 8 gamer is real crap at the game. And the rank 4 play looks to be pretty hot.

In reality though that rank 8 player could spend his time playing with rank 9 or 10 players and as such could be up against some strong opposiion. Hence the low kd ratio.

The rank 4 player could simply spend a lot of tine griefing rank 1 or 2 newbies who are new to the game and are unfamiliar with maps controls etc etc. And as such easily dominate.

A kd ratio cannot be used to measure or quantify skill.

It would be like measuring a football team by there goals scored to conceeded ratio. Where a sunday league team might have a ratio of 2.5 or 3.0 But a world class champions league team may only have a ratio of 1.0. Which team is better?

Kd is exactly the same. Its useless as a measure of skill
  • brose_sfr and XxJazzy42xX like this

Agent_Ace
  • Agent_Ace

heavy sniper > jets

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:52 PM

I really couldn't care less, I have a KD of about 1.20 or something.

JON22
  • JON22

FECK U ALL >:(

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:14 PM

Psssh do I look like I care? Look at my sig. To be that crap takes skill...and bad eyes....and stiff joints.
  • XxJazzy42xX likes this

Otsd4rv4
  • Otsd4rv4

Yggdrasil

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

Nah. Not interested into shooting people up...most of the time. Normally just fly around in a Vestra, Mallard, CropDuster, or Lazer....and try to decapitate people by flying stupidly low to the ground. Most are wins...other times...I didn't notice that pole.
  • TheNameless likes this

ElliottSmithXO
  • ElliottSmithXO

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

Not really. I don't want to go below 4 kdr though.

Was it your intention to contradict yourself?

8up local
  • 8up local

sharp as a marble

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:33 PM Edited by 8up local, 02 August 2014 - 05:34 PM.

to me KDR has no value, although i like to keep it very low. people tend to seem to think i'm an easy pushover because of it, only to find out it is not the case. i've gotten myself killed many times for no real reason other than either fun or to distract them from aonther player about to kill them.

i am curious though if anyone else does this too? keeping their KDR low on purpose.

Black Terminator
  • Black Terminator

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:01 PM

Hell no, I can careless about K/D stuff. The only thing I care about is helping others get there stuff done like car colors, parts, upgrades and helping them improve their ranks. Like teaching the lower rankers how to survive and get things done. 

epicsomeone
  • epicsomeone

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

KDR Notes:

When I first started - probably my first 1000 kills my k/d was about .59.  I ran out - combat only - getting in fights with players of all levels slowly learning how to read the map - take cover (and what cover was actually "good"), and snipe people on the streets near me before the could auto lock on me.  I was killed/griefed a lot but that's where I really learned combat - not from a plan, buzzard, or tank.  I never used passive mode as a defensive weapon even when I should have - I never left when I was getting an ass whipping either.

Since then my k/d - now nearing 5000 kills - has slowly risen to 2.84.  To me 2.84 is a real reflection of my combat skill since I payed me dues learning how to truly fight without resorting to tanks/jets/passive mode/glitching/quitting.  I still don't use tanks or jets and the odds are that 99% of the time I'm the last guy you want to bother.  The 1% that I can't handle are usually players with 10,000 kills or more which I believe means more then k/d alone as long as they are tank/jet pussies.

So k/d can mean something - I kept my stats on Social Club open so you can see that I don't use tanks/jets to boost it.  Here's the exceptions:

K/D Reflects Skill Except:

If you are tank/jet pussy

If you don't even have a 1000 kills - give me a break ... why are you worrying about k/d noob????

If you do everything you can to avoid good players, ground combat, and situations where the playing field is evened or not in your favor

If you use passive mode way too much - killing somebody once then turning on passive

Really, to me, if you have had a high k/d from the start it means you probably suck at the game.  I learned far more in my first 1000 kills when I hand a terrible k/d then at anytime - if I had just played passive pussy or flew around in a jet I would probably have an even higher k/d now but I would suck in all respects from a true strategy

and skill standpoint.

The points in bold above are why many people don't trust k/d and, to be honest, I rarely run into a player that even has a chance against me that has a k/d as high or higher then mine.  The players that are my biggest threat are the the 10k+ killers that don't use tanks and jets to get there.  There are just a few of them that I know and every so often we hop into each others sessions clear out a lobby together.

• nanderson187 and XxJazzy42xX like this

G37
  • G37

G

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:21 PM

It's a pointless stat indicative of absolutely nothing insightful.

Unfortunately, yes, some people do care - quite a lot and boast about it

XxJazzy42xX
  • XxJazzy42xX

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

there is so many people with 1.00 K/D ratios on here. This might be where i belong.

But, like someone said earlier

Auto-Aim

Ranks that equal better weapons

Kinda gives you an answer from me about how lightly i take a KDR.

Lets look at: If i played against some scrubs or lower ranked players at my rank now of course my KDR would climb.....even in free roam, but if i played against players that are better or know better my K/D could very well fall. When it comes down to it, its who you play or what players you play against. 

This game is about basically climbing the social ladder through crime. In my opinion GTA4 k/d ratio to me mattered more than now.

XxJazzy42xX
  • XxJazzy42xX

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

Hell no, I can careless about K/D stuff. The only thing I care about is helping others get there stuff done like car colors, parts, upgrades and helping them improve their ranks. Like teaching the lower rankers how to survive and get things done. 

you and i have something in common. When i had all the weapons and a tanks at lvl123 i would go to survival because i have no problem maintaining a full weapon wheel because thats all i pay for besides clothes, and help people get the top dollar. Instead of trolling i help people get the things i have and stuff. If i trolled my k/d would be higher, because i have the tools to make it happen. 

PsychoGamer
  • PsychoGamer

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Eritrea

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

I dont even know & to me as long as it stays above 1.0 then im fine. K/D is a joke in this game for various reasons such as auto aim, tanks, rooftop snipping, bulletproof car killing, killing AFC players and etc. its not really hard to cheaply boost it & i think people care so much because a high one symbolizes that a player is very well skilled but this Grand Theft Auto that we are talking about LOL.

KD has no measure of skill at all In any game you play.

If players were ranked from 1 to 10 in terms if skills. Then younmight flight a rank 4 player has a kd of 3 or higher. But a rank 8 player with more skills might only have a kd of 0.9.

To the uninformed gamer this looks like the rank 8 gamer is real crap at the game. And the rank 4 play looks to be pretty hot.

In reality though that rank 8 player could spend his time playing with rank 9 or 10 players and as such could be up against some strong opposiion. Hence the low kd ratio.

The rank 4 player could simply spend a lot of tine griefing rank 1 or 2 newbies who are new to the game and are unfamiliar with maps controls etc etc. And as such easily dominate.

A kd ratio cannot be used to measure or quantify skill.

It would be like measuring a football team by there goals scored to conceeded ratio. Where a sunday league team might have a ratio of 2.5 or 3.0 But a world class champions league team may only have a ratio of 1.0. Which team is better?

Kd is exactly the same. Its useless as a measure of skill

I've been playing Call of Duty 4 from 2007-2010, been in the best 1% of the world, (ranked Top 30.000 of 5 million players), played with Top-100 people like mcavcoy91, Stiffler2k, and the #1 erpuzzetta. I signed up for german PSL, and in my very first match, i challenged the #1 in 1vs1, and barely lost to him, while he played dirty as f$%&. You would assume the K/D ratio matters in there, more than in GTA. I don't know it for sure, but mine has been about 1,7, and this has been a very good one, if you play against real competition.

Of course you can wipe out a whole team of fools, and get a high K/D, but if your K/D is something exorbitant like 3,0, it just shows me you haven't got your hands on real competition. I haven't been proved wrong once.

Could be similar in GTA. Player A slaughters innocent people in free mode, with his tank/jet, gets a K/D of 3.0, but sucks at deathmatches where he can't use them, and ppl actually fight back. Player B plays deathmatches all the time, and only has a K/D of 1,4. Seems like the less skilled player, but actually plays much better than Player B.

7nvd
  • 7nvd

Wakeboarder

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:25 PM Edited by 7nvd, 30 August 2014 - 04:43 PM.

My KD according to social club is above 10. Don't know if that's reliable, will check in game later. But the truth is, I don't give a damn.

Edit: Total time in a tank is below 20 minutes I think.

rnb010
  • rnb010

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

meh dunno duncare

its not like gta is battlefield or something

Starscream_910
  • Starscream_910

Undercover Moderator

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Snapmatic 2014

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:31 PM

Just out of curiosity, how many of you care about your kills and deaths ratio?
I have more deaths than kills from being abused in free roam.
I noticed some people in the GTAO make a big deal out of KDR and some don't. What are your thoughts?

Honestly KDR in GTAO means diddly squat to me.

The only game it should sort of matter in is CoD, and I'm guessing that those who care about KDR in GTAV were originally CoD players.

EVEN THEN- KDR tells you nothing about the player's skill. It's so easy to manipulate KDR through boosting, it's really not worth caring about.

TreFacTor
  • TreFacTor

O.G.

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:33 PM

I don't usually care about KD ratio but with the god mode glitches and rp glitches that require you to be in an open session, my KD has sky rocketed camping those sites....It's pathetic how desperate some people are to do these glitches....it's hilarious! 

Heists
  • Heists

Snipers are pussies who usually suck at close combat.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

K/D ratio isn't a measure of skill, its a measure of how much you die/survive in a PVP battle. But at the end of the day it means nothing as it doesn't show what skilled player you killed as you could just kill low levels like some other guy said. Either that or you just go ahead and roll in yo tank.

The only way it could mean something and be an okay stat if if it is 0.70 - 1.50. Outside these boundaries and you can see that the player is either not very good/dies a lot or most likely killing people with a high ass advantage over everyone else, ie a tank. 

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:49 PM Edited by Zwenkwiel, 30 August 2014 - 04:50 PM.

a high K/D means you're either an awesomely skilled player

or that you grief people in free roam

so really it tells you nothing.

also when people say they don't care cuz this is not an FPS are you seriously stupid enough to think that they're referring to the perspective or were you just so lost for arguments that this weak ass strawman is the best you could come up with?

• nanderson187 likes this

ktek01
  • ktek01

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

It only means something to you, because only you know how you really got it. When joining a user created death match hosted by the creator, and he has a very high K/D, usually a good sign of a trap. When his K/D is average or crap, usually a legit match, even if it still sucks. 

TCA
  • TCA

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:17 PM

The only time it matters to me is in deathmatches. It's too easy to get kills in free roam by grieving or camping in well traveled areas.

As long as my K/D is over 1 in team deathmatch I'm happy. It at least means I got more points for my team than points for the enemy team.

What she said.  I enjoy team deathmatches and it is nice to know that I gave better than I got.

Agree with both of ya

kimle
  • kimle

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

My kd os 3.75 i dont really care about it too much but i still wouldnt want it to go down but i wouldnt go into passive mode then come out to kill some one and do cheap bs like that to get my kd up because thats just pathetic

RSRocks
  • RSRocks

Hobby-Musician

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:22 PM

I do not care about my KD. I care more about my race-stats, but even about those stats I do not care much. I just enjoy the game^^

brose_sfr
  • brose_sfr

brozilla

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:41 PM

I care about my K/D as much as I care about any other stat. (not much)

I'm glad it's over 1.0 because I'm a fair player & it's good to know that I'm not just constantly being over powered by other players.

lukeskateboards
  • lukeskateboards

Gear Head

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:48 PM

3.11 here. Don't play deathmatches and I don't use tanks/jets.

Only reason I care is because I've managed to get mine as high as it is, but I don't commit suicide/passive to avoid being killed.

Reemer
  • Reemer

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:48 PM

Sometimes I look at KD's when I enter a session, usually when people have high KD's, they're aggressive.

lukeskateboards
  • lukeskateboards

Gear Head

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

The only way it could mean something and be an okay stat if if it is 0.70 - 1.50. Outside these boundaries and you can see that the player is either not very good/dies a lot or most likely killing people with a high ass advantage over everyone else, ie a tank.

Sorry bud, but your theory is flawed. You don't need a "high ass advantage" to get kills unless you just suck...

Oz70NYC
  • Oz70NYC

The Urban Samurai

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

There's so many things that can kill you, and ways you can be killed by other people in GTAO K/D is pretty irrelevant. I've seen some astronomical k/ds in the past, 1 person had one over 10. But they also had over 10K tank kills...so you can pretty much guess what kind of "player" they were. In other games it may matter, but in GTAO k/d counts for nothing.

Kaiju Blue
  • Kaiju Blue

Berlinetta

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:01 PM

i don't care. unless i see someone who isn't a level 5 or such that has one of less than .30 or such. then i kiiinda start to judge.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users