Photo

GTAO's Future and Lifespan.

104 replies to this topic
RealHoosier07
  • RealHoosier07

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

For the gamers that want a real online experience, Destiny will kill this game for a lot of people. Destiny is going to be amazing. Rockstar has a lot to learn about online gaming...one being that micro transactions are a horrible idea that kills the gameplay elements that could be great without micro transactions.
It doesn't matter what they put in this game. As long as they are doing micro transactions, this game will stay boring and dull..With just more lame dlc. Who cares if it's free when it's the same crappy sh*t over and over.

Meh I spent a lot of time with the beta, the coop free roam aspect was fun and all but nothing new.

However the actual multiplayer (as in PVP) was just dreadful, halos matchmaking still takes the cake from destiny gameplay wise (yes even halo 4).

But this is gta forums not destiny/halo forums lol, the micro transitions are actually a good understandable idea. I mean with so many bad parents out there these days spoiling their brats why shouldn't rockstar make money off them? Not to mention it's not like cash cards are a must have. With so many money glitchs coming out all the time, not to mention if you must be a completely legit player just do missions and save up.

All I'm saying is rockstar is not doing that bad when it comes to the whole "online gaming".

On a destiny side note I'll say I have more faith in GTAO's future then I do in Destiny's future.

No micro transactions are not a good idea. They take away from the gameplay and what rockstar will add in-game. They have dumbed down this game to sell sharkcards. It's so obvious what they are doing and
So many fan boys are blind to it.

Rockstar has completely failed the community in this game. Every single dlc is just cars and guns. Horrible

LeoV
  • LeoV

The Invincible R.E.G.I.S Mark V

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

For the gamers that want a real online experience, Destiny will kill this game for a lot of people. Destiny is going to be amazing. Rockstar has a lot to learn about online gaming...one being that micro transactions are a horrible idea that kills the gameplay elements that could be great without micro transactions.
It doesn't matter what they put in this game. As long as they are doing micro transactions, this game will stay boring and dull..With just more lame dlc. Who cares if it's free when it's the same crappy sh*t over and over.

Meh I spent a lot of time with the beta, the coop free roam aspect was fun and all but nothing new.
However the actual multiplayer (as in PVP) was just dreadful, halos matchmaking still takes the cake from destiny gameplay wise (yes even halo 4).
But this is gta forums not destiny/halo forums lol, the micro transitions are actually a good understandable idea. I mean with so many bad parents out there these days spoiling their brats why shouldn't rockstar make money off them? Not to mention it's not like cash cards are a must have. With so many money glitchs coming out all the time, not to mention if you must be a completely legit player just do missions and save up.
All I'm saying is rockstar is not doing that bad when it comes to the whole "online gaming".
On a destiny side note I'll say I have more faith in GTAO's future then I do in Destiny's future.

No micro transactions are not a good idea. They take away from the gameplay and what rockstar will add in-game. They have dumbed down this game to sell sharkcards. It's so obvious what they are doing and
So many fan boys are blind to it.
Rockstar has completely failed the community in this game. Every single dlc is just cars and guns. Horrible
dumbed it down? How so? Please explain what you mean by that, yes online clearly is not the amazingness that many expected, but what game is? Yes much of what rockstar has added is simply new stuff. However many large content dlc is in the works. Micro transactions are common now, at least rockstar doesn't offer micro transitions that actually give people who buy them an advantage like so many other games do.

Milesinho
  • Milesinho

Prankster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

Rockstar is not forcing anyone to buy cash cards. Cash cards are not necessary in order to play, progress or enjoy the game.

I repeat...

Rockstar is not forcing anyone to buy cash cards. Cash cards are not necessary in order to play, progress or enjoy the game.

Say it with me...

It's such a tedious and baseless criticism that gets trotted out in every single thread it seems.

One more time...

There, all better now? Good.
  • LeoV likes this

dzian
  • dzian

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

I repeat...

Say it with me...

It's such a tedious and baseless criticism that gets trotted out in every single thread it seems.

One more time...

The problem with cash cards is they devalue the game. They take the value out of playing. Play the game earn some cash buy a car. Then people skip playing the game buy the cash and buy the car take the value away from the car.

With the fact that everything in the game revolves around cash. Then it becomes possible to obtain anything in the game in just a couple of minutes. Which significantly devalues gameplay and eliminates progression. What progress can be made in a game where anyone can get anything in 2 or 3 minutes.

This is why the game never moves forwards. If I logged in today it would take 5 minutes to get myself a second garage and buy a couple of new cars and be up to date.

The problem isnt solely cash cards. Its the way that everything in the game revolves around cash.

If the game had rewards / goals that couldnt be bought then cash cards wouldnt be an issue.

Imagine if the only way to obtain super cars was to win them in racing leagues. Sure you could use cash cards to mod them but youd actually havve to play the game to win the car itself.

And that makes the car more valuable. And makes gameplay more valuable at the same time.

The same with guns. Imagine if certain gubs were only available by clearing ammunation challenges. 5 bronze medals. Heres your ak. 5 silver. Here's your carbine. 5 gold heres your advnced rifle... would make guns more valuable. As players couldnt just buy the most powerful weapon in each class.

Things like this would increase the value of gameplay a lot and make the game feel more rewarding as a whole. And also add a much needed sense of progression
  • NubcakeVII likes this

LeoV
  • LeoV

The Invincible R.E.G.I.S Mark V

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

I repeat...

Say it with me...

One more time...

The problem with cash cards is they devalue the game. They take the value out of playing. Play the game earn some cash buy a car. Then people skip playing the game buy the cash and buy the car take the value away from the car.
With the fact that everything in the game revolves around cash. Then it becomes possible to obtain anything in the game in just a couple of minutes. Which significantly devalues gameplay and eliminates progression. What progress can be made in a game where anyone can get anything in 2 or 3 minutes.
This is why the game never moves forwards. If I logged in today it would take 5 minutes to get myself a second garage and buy a couple of new cars and be up to date.
The problem isnt solely cash cards. Its the way that everything in the game revolves around cash.
If the game had rewards / goals that couldnt be bought then cash cards wouldnt be an issue.
Imagine if the only way to obtain super cars was to win them in racing leagues. Sure you could use cash cards to mod them but youd actually havve to play the game to win the car itself.
And that makes the car more valuable. And makes gameplay more valuable at the same time.
The same with guns. Imagine if certain gubs were only available by clearing ammunation challenges. 5 bronze medals. Heres your ak. 5 silver. Here's your carbine. 5 gold heres your advnced rifle... would make guns more valuable. As players couldnt just buy the most powerful weapon in each class.
Things like this would increase the value of gameplay a lot and make the game feel more rewarding as a whole. And also add a much needed sense of progression
They devalue the game? Well that would be true if the game had an actual economy. But it doesn't lol.

GopherHedgeHots
  • GopherHedgeHots

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:30 PM

Im confident we'll see bigger and more frequent additions to this game once next gen versions are released. The question is when will it be released? Rockstar has a tough time setting dates and meeting them, last time we got a season as a release window it ended up being way off.

K-ROSE
  • K-ROSE

45 mins Southeast of Thibodaux, Louisiana

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

The game is dead. What did you expect though? It's a beta that has run its course. R* isn't even trying to keep it alive anymore.

vG LadyMac16
  • vG LadyMac16

Rat

• Members

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

Personally I would hate pvp heists. I'm more of a cooperative pve style gamer. It's much more fun doing things with friends than repeatedly killing them.

What GTAO lacks though is any real form of purpose or progression because of this the game never moves forwards . absolutely nothing you do in the game has no impact on the game and nothing ever changes. and essentially this makes everything you do pointless.

For example except for the occasional round of golf I haven't played GTAO for several months. ran no missions still own 1 garage and 9 cars and have about 3 million dollars in the bank. the problem here is that despite that I am still at the exact same point in the game that everyone else is at. martin and ron see me exactly the same as they see you when it comes to missions. even though I haven't run any missions for months i'm no more or less reliable to them than some guy who runs 20 missions a day. and I am no more or less able to complete those missions because i'm still on a level playing field with every other player. because everyone who plays every day hasn't moved any further ahead of me.

What many players wanted from gtao was essentially a coop gta experience. coop story has been a popular request ever since vice city when players would ask why can't there friends play as lance in guardian angels. or play as sweet in san andreas brothers in arms taking over turf wars. and when 5 was first revealed to have 3 main characters one of the biggest hopes was for cooperative game play. I could play as micheal with a friend playing as trevor as we work our way through the game together. and this is ultimately what online really needs a sense of purpose and progression and a story to unfold that actually moves the online world forwards.

even small changes to the world kinda like previous games. gta 3  for example at the beginning you can pretty much go anywhere without issue. as the game progresses you become notorious. gets to a point where if you happen to enter triad turf they will come shoot you on sight. it's a trivial thing but just one small example of how the game world can change and move forwards. in online this could work. a relatively new player with little to no rep might be relatively safe in one part of town but another player might not. the game world needs to evolve.

in essence nothing you do changes the game so theres really not much point in doing anything. and I think that's why a lot of people have stopped playing. everything needs to be connected somehow. if you do a job where you steal the titan for lester. the next job lester gives you should somehow involve that titan.

or alternatively have a job where you and your friends have to steal some police cars, followed by a second job where you have to break into an armory. followed by a third job where you do a prison break or something. create connections between the jobs. and in this way some of the missions with crappier payouts would be worthwhile. you might only get 5k for stealing the police cars and 5more for the armory. but might then get 50k when you complete the prison break. and you might also unlock the guy you bust out of prison as a  contact to give you more better jobs that players don't have access to until they successfully break him out of prison.

make the game evolve and progress. and give players some real PVE content instead of ramming PVP down our throats.
Also if they did it right it might actually make crews usefull. need a crew to take on some of the bigger missions for example. at present crews are little more than social groups.

You should work for Rockstar. Everything you said is right on point. That is how I envisioned the game and I'm sure many had that same vision. Well said sir!

Joekill95
  • Joekill95

Estuans interius...

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

The game is dead. What did you expect though? It's a beta that has run its course. R* isn't even trying to keep it alive anymore.

I wouldn't assume that just yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they're working on some big updates right now.

don ovdi' island
  • don ovdi' island

дрэдлоксъ

• Members
  • Ethiopia

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

Some real stupidity in this forum.  How come every time my internet's actually working and i get online I'm in a full lobby?  Every time i play, almost every day, full lobbies.  I can't see how people could say this game is dead.  for YOU maybe, but not for the rest of the world.

GTAF has what, 600,000 members? Only a quarter of that, maybe only an eighth that actually visit the GTAO section.  GTAO has millions of players, millions who don't use internet forums and millions who enjoy the game.

If you don't like it, cool, go back to the sh*tty single player or some other game.  To the people who complain about PS3/360 being a beta:  Yea, we all know this is beta, whats the big deal?  Would you rather R* put out a game like this with no testing at all?  I welcome being the Guinea pig, at least this is a fun beta (to me)  .. then when it comes out on current gen i expect it to be much more polished.

No I'm not a R* fanboy and i will never buy a cash card.  Im not a gamer either, I'm a GTA fanboy who's owned every title since the 3D era.  

Maybe the people who say the game is boring and dead to them are the same people who thing its wrong to kill other players in a PVP free roam where you actually get points for killing other players…  :blink:

DangerZone77
  • DangerZone77

ninja not ninjer

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

I used to play an hour or two a day... now it's like an hour or two a week.

manicmechanic71
  • manicmechanic71

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

I hope there's more to come, I'm losing momentum rapidly. I've moved on to other games for the first time since buying the game!

Milesinho
  • Milesinho

Prankster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:32 PM Edited by Milesinho, 01 August 2014 - 06:33 PM.

From what I saw of the beta, destiny isn't anywhere near as ambitious or interesting as GTAO, more like a glorified borderlands.

LOL! Dude you are so far off. Destiny beta was only about 10% of what the game offers. Gtao is one of the most horrible online games there is when it comes to content. IGN had an article yesterday about the raids in destiny. Destiny will blow gtao out of the water without a doubt.
Wow...so many clueless people with online gaming. A beta isn't anywhere near what we will have in the final product. You all fan boys of rockstar are funny. Gtao has been a huge bore-fest content wise. There is so much more about destiny than we even know. IGN article about raids was eye opening. It's about time we have a game with real cooperative missions that take real communication and teamwork. Raids will take up to 2 hours to complete...and they will be difficult.

You may well be right and Destiny could turn out to be awesome. I'm interested to see what happens with it, but like LeoV said, it's a completely different concept to GTAO. Even if it turns out to be completely amazing, and that's a big 'if', I see no reason why it should affect GTAO one way or the other. GTAO has a ton of content already, despite what you say, with so much more to come when the next gen versions come out. I'm not a R* fan boy, I wasn't a big fan of GTA IV, preferred Saints Row 2, but I love GTAO having played it from day of release. It can't be that horrible if you're still taking the time to talk about it on a forum a year after release ;)

KingLouieThaXIII
  • KingLouieThaXIII

Big Sitting Chief Asshole

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

Alright let's take this into consideration. There were rumors that GTAO was going to be a standalone game and that it would cost anywhere between $30-$60. Had that been the case, more than 80% of the cash cards arguments I've seen would be valid, but that isn't the case. In fact,you got GTAO for free when it was released on October 1st, you aren't FORCED to buy cash cards or pay anything to have access to GTAO (other than buying a copy of GTA5), and they aren't charging you for every DLC and have yet to do so. R* doesn't owe you anything and this isn't the first time and damn sure won't be the last a corporation has promised something with a product and never held that promise or it was something that became part of the product later. 

And this has nothing to do with me being a fanboy, it's about understanding how development of these things work. Look at GTAIV and RDR, their online components had NO economy whatsoever, you owned nothing but the avatar and clothes on your back in GTAIV and in RDR you owned weapons and a horse. Free Roam was exactly that with nothing to do but cop shootouts and gang attacks. If GTAO had been the same concept I guarantee you that this topic wouldn't even be a discussion right now. It's the FIRST time R* as a company tried to make an online component to this scale. If you stuck around and still play it today you should be thankful they didn't scrap the idea after the 1st week of launch.

Milesinho
  • Milesinho

Prankster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:25 AM

Had to bump this as I'm playing (and enjoying) Destiny on XB1 at the moment. However, as I suspected after the beta, not even close to GTAO on any level in terms of complexity, scale and concept. In fact, just as I suggested, it's a lot like Borderlands with death matches thrown in and as for being WoW in space – it's a damn long way from that.

Not bashing Destiny here. As I said, I'm enjoying it and will continue to play it for some time, but its comparative linearity, small environments and limited gameplay just serve to reinforce what an achievement of vision and technology GTAO really is.

All those that continue to whine about every aspect of GTAO need to understand this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users