Photo

Illegal Immigration Crisis (USA)

22 replies to this topic
KaRzY6
  • KaRzY6

♧ Sick Kunt ♤

• Members

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:20 AM

Hey everyone, just wondering what people's thoughts are on the "Illegal Immigration Crisis" going on at the southern border with Mexico? I've been keeping on eye on the issue lately and I am very against Obama giving amnesty for a few reasons:

1. They are a very big burden on the economy, especially with the numbers they are coming in. They are costing massive amounts of taxpayer's dollars and lowering the standard of living. They are receiving heaps of free stuff; including healthcare, schooling, housing etc. Most of them are highly unskilled, and contribute almost nothing to the economy. This is just making more people on welfare, creating more of a burden for the average working class American.

2. They say it's "poor children", but majority of these people are 14-17 year old males, and most are connected to gangs. This massive border across North America is open and vulnerable, and the whole world knows it. Ofcourse gangs and terrorists groups are taking advantage of this, and Texas ranchers have found evidence for it. It doesn't matter how bad the people of Central America have it, the people of the USA are under threat, it's a national security issue.

3. These people are also bringing in deadly diseases, and how would you feel if a illegal child was sent to your American kid's school? It's putting the people of America at risk. And it's not just in the border states of California or New Mexico in danger; the illegals are getting sent all around America, putting everyone at risk. And if the issue wasn't serious, why would doctors and nurses be threatened to not speak out about it.

4. The USA has gone from 9 trillion dollars in debt to 17 trillion while Obama's administration has been in power. America is not in the position to help out everyone else. Clean up your own yard before offering hands to your neighbours, simple.

5. Why should these people get better treatment than those already living in America struggling. Estimates in 2012 say 16% of Americans live in poverty, up from 14.3% in 2009. Help them first, where's their free handouts from the government that the illegals get?

6. And the last reason; the most oblivious one. By entering the country illegally, they are breaking the law. They should be deported, correct? America is a country of laws, and they should be followed.

I'm sure there would be more points but these are the ones I could think of on top of my head. I'd like to hear what other people have to say, considering I swing more to the right-wing/Republican side. But I do feel this is a serious issue for America, whether you swing left or right, it effects everyone.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

I'd like to respond to this in a suitable way but am rather pressed for time currently, so would kindly ask you for proof of the following tenets of your argument:

1) Please provide statistical evidence that illegal immigration from Mexico results in negative net economic consequences.

2) Please provide evidence supporting your assertion that most teenage immigrants are gang members.

3) Please provide evidence that disease transmission from illegal immigrants is statistically more likely than between domestic citizens.
  • RandallFlagg00 and Sergiu like this

dreadluxx
  • dreadluxx

дрэдлоксъ

• Members
  • Ethiopia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:15 AM

I'd just like to remind you that the United States of America was founded on illegal immigration.  Let that sink in.

• Iroquois, Jeone and RandallFlagg00 like this

eroch
  • eroch

Self-Absorbed

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:42 PM

I'd just like to remind you that the United States of America was founded on illegal immigration.  Let that sink in.

I don't really understand where you're going with that comment. Do you just mean that the first Europeans on the continent illegally immigrated into native American land? Because in that case I'd have to say you're wrong, since you can't illegally immigrate to a country that doesn't exist yet. 

dreadluxx
  • dreadluxx

дрэдлоксъ

• Members
  • Ethiopia

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:02 AM

I don't really understand where you're going with that comment. Do you just mean that the first Europeans on the continent illegally immigrated into native American land? Because in that case I'd have to say you're wrong, since you can't illegally immigrate to a country that doesn't exist yet. 

Just because it's not recognized on whatever level, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  

Spanish and other native peoples had claimed and lived on American soil long before any Europeans that actually founded the USA went there. They (The Europeans) came to North America to land that was inhabited by Natives, and declared it theirs.  Just because the Natives didn't have a governmental society doesn't mean that it wasn't their land.  The Europeans declared it their land, made up their own rules and laws, and declared freedom from their rulers in Europe, meaning that they came here "illegally" so to speak. 

Whites to Natives are the same thing as what illegal immigrants are to whites (or anyone of any race who is against illegal immigration) 

• Iroquois likes this

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:15 AM Edited by Vlynor, 07 August 2014 - 08:16 AM.

That's still a poor argument. 

OP:

1. Wrong.

2. Do you have a source?

3. Do you have a source?

4. Sending aid to other nations benefits them long term, and costs the average citizen $30 annually. Also, as you can see by the link in #1, immigrants, both legal and illegal, benefit the average American. 

5. See 1.

6. We do need to have borders and regulated immigration, however, I think special exceptions can be made for people in dire situations. I'm not entirely up-to-date on the Hondurans', Guatemalans', and El Salvadorians' situations in their respective countries. I think the current influx of immigrants should be given residency status, and if in fact the countries I mentioned before fall under the refugee label, then we should assist the people in need.

KaRzY6
  • KaRzY6

♧ Sick Kunt ♤

• Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:49 AM

Just because it's not recognized on whatever level, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  

Spanish and other native peoples had claimed and lived on American soil long before any Europeans that actually founded the USA went there. They (The Europeans) came to North America to land that was inhabited by Natives, and declared it theirs.  Just because the Natives didn't have a governmental society doesn't mean that it wasn't their land.  The Europeans declared it their land, made up their own rules and laws, and declared freedom from their rulers in Europe, meaning that they came here "illegally" so to speak. 

Whites to Natives are the same thing as what illegal immigrants are to whites (or anyone of any race who is against illegal immigration) 

It's called conquest, which has been apart of human history since the birth of civilisation. The United States was founded by the colonists and they put in place immigration laws. So to say that the USA was built on illegal immigration is absurd.  

That's still a poor argument. 

OP:

1. Wrong.

2. Do you have a source?

3. Do you have a source?

4. Sending aid to other nations benefits them long term, and costs the average citizen $30 annually. Also, as you can see by the link in #1, immigrants, both legal and illegal, benefit the average American. 

5. See 1.

6. We do need to have borders and regulated immigration, however, I think special exceptions can be made for people in dire situations. I'm not entirely up-to-date on the Hondurans', Guatemalans', and El Salvadorians' situations in their respective countries. I think the current influx of immigrants should be given residency status, and if in fact the countries I mentioned before fall under the refugee label, then we should assist the people in need.

And with the foreign aid thing: a country borrowing money and giving some to other countries. That logic is stupid, America is technically the poorest country in the world. Do you think they can just keep borrowing more and more money?

And I don't need to supply a source to prove that terrorists would be taking advantage of this. They aren't stupid, and the whole world knows that America's southern border is basically wide open.
http://www.wnd.com/2...can-drug-lords/

6. So by this logic, any child in worse-off countries (millions) can come into the USA and receive the freebies and permanently stay in the crippling United States. Life is unfair, sorry to break it to you

• gTaOXIC likes this

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

-Video-

Not watching a Fox rant without sourcing. Sorry.

So by this logic, any child in worse-off countries (millions) can come into the USA and receive the freebies and permanently stay in the crippling United States. Life is unfair, sorry to break it to you

Reread what I said:

We do need to have borders and regulated immigration

Also, as you can see by the link in #1, immigrants, both legal and illegal, benefit the average American. 

And with the foreign aid thing: a country borrowing money and giving some to other countries. That logic is stupid, America is technically the poorest country in the world. Do you think they can just keep borrowing more and more money?

Again, foreign aid to other countries helps them. It's what, 1% of our budget? Why not focus your energy on cutting spending elsewhere... like part of the 750 billion USD military budget, which is one of the main reasons we're in so much debt. 

And we're not the poorest nation. Sure, we have a ton of debt, but our debt to GDP ratio is lower than a lot of other countries.

http://en.wikipedia...._by_public_debt

• Melchior likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

KaRzY6: in D&D, if someone asks you to provide evidence to support an argument, you do so. This isn't a chatroom, it's highly moderated and supposed to be a place for intelligent discussion. Outright refusing to provide proof for highly contentious arguments is a very fast way of losing the argument, posting YouTube videos as if they contribute something is utterly laughable, your understanding of how macroeconomics work is hilarious and if you fail to supported your claims I'll simply lock the topic.

Go have a read of the subforum rules before you post again.
  • Irviding and bread like this

bread
  • bread

Grown conventionally and organically worldwide

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:38 PM

garble

Posting a video from FOX and spouting off a refusal to provide evidence is pathetic. Learn to have a discussion lol

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:07 PM Edited by esmittystud101, 21 August 2014 - 06:10 PM.

If I go to Canada without a passport, what happens? If I go to England without a passport what happens? I would be arrested if I was cought and deported back to the U.S.

You have to enforce laws. Turning your head on laws.........well......what is happening in the U.S. today.

We defend criminals and not the citizens it seems like.

• gTaOXIC likes this

Vishnu1111
  • Vishnu1111

TORA Naval Special Warfare Deployment Group

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:32 AM Edited by Vishnu1111, 23 August 2014 - 03:33 AM.

In terms of the USA, unless you're a native, everyone (Including myself) is an illegal immigrant.

• Iroquois and STACKS_TERRELI like this

RandallFlagg00
  • RandallFlagg00

Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:17 PM

I work in construction in Chicago. I've worked with hundreds of illegal immigrants throughout the years. I've befriended many and spent time with many of their families. They all come here for the same reason: A better life for their children.

In many of the places where they come from there is no work. No work means no money. No money means no food. It's just like the question "would you steal bread to feed your starving family?" Either your the worst father in the world, or your answer is yes.

I've never known a single immigrant on welfare, or collecting food stamps. They work very, very hard. Most have multiple jobs. They give their entire lives to work to better their families lives. They are a MASSIVE benefit to the economy.

Karzy6, you can't provide and sources because your arguments are nonsense. Also, all 19 terrorists we've had in the US came here legally. All of these arguments were made about my people(Irish) in the early 1900's. the same arguments were made about Italians, Germans, and Jews. "They won't assimilate, they're criminals, they're a drain on the economy." The real reason people don't want Latino immigrants is bigotry. But you can't admit to bigotry nowadays so they come up with nonsensical arguments.... And that's why you can't provide any sources.
  • Doc Rikowski, Irviding, Iroquois and 2 others like this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:09 PM Edited by RoadRunner71, 09 September 2014 - 02:09 PM.

The thing with immigration is that it's just the consequence and not the origin of the problem. Basically you will solve nothing simply attacking the illegal immigration in your contry as it was the real problem; you have to attack the source and main reason that is in the countries those people come from, which could be poverty and related violence, wars, etc.

It's true that you can't let everybody illegally enter and stay in your country but erecting bigger walls won't either stop desperate people to try to reach it.

• dreadluxx likes this

eroch
  • eroch

Self-Absorbed

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:49 PM

I nominate the South Park method of a huge gay orgy.

Seriously though saying all non-native U.S. citizens are illegal immigrants is pretty ironic since 99% of the European population spread is based off of conquests and annexations over a 2000-year old period.

• RandallFlagg00 and STACKS_TERRELI like this

Irviding
  • Irviding

Hopped off the plane at LAX, with a dream in my cardigan

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:50 AM

Yes, they can actually because that's how every country operates. Countries borrow money, mostly from their own citizens in the form of bonds. Go look it up on About.com macroeconomics or something.

And even if we cut out every single bit of foreign aid, it is below 1% of the federal budget... so you're gonna need to cut a lot more also big guy.

STACKS_TERRELI
  • STACKS_TERRELI

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:39 AM Edited by STACKS_TERRELI, 01 October 2014 - 08:54 PM.

In terms of the USA, unless you're a native, everyone (Including myself) is an illegal immigrant.

even the people from mexico are kinda sorta legally here lol, the states (CA, TX) they're migrating to are the states the Europeans took from Mexico. European Americans continuously annex counties then blame the people who were originally there for all their problems and keep pushing them out of their own land!

side note: The funniest thing I've heard a European American kid online say was "go back to Africa, niqqer" it's funny because they brought us all here on ships as slaves now that we are free they want us to go back. Why are these people so hateful and when I say these people I don't mean white folks I mean people who have a problems with everything, they hate homosexual people they hate everyone who isn't the same color as them they hate people who practice different religions, how were these hateful people spawn, and why is their hateful attitude tolerated and accepted? Immigrants are not the problems, bigots like you are @KaRzY6

• RandallFlagg00 and Vishnu1111 like this

Iroquois
  • Iroquois

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:05 PM Edited by Iroquois, 02 October 2014 - 04:18 PM.

Even though I agree with this 100%, some dont realize that ancestors of Natives were a mix of aztecs/mayans down south and the asians that crossed through russia into alaska into canada into america.Some of the ones that stayed behind in canada and alaska became eskimos.

Difference between white man arrival and natives arrival is that the indians just settled. White men forcefully settled. Huge difference.

Point is, we're all immigrants. This "illegal immigration crisis" boils down to the reason why you came, if your criminal or not and if youre patriotic or not.

I was 3 when i moved to florida from hungary. I grew up there, had hundreds and hundreds of friends. Went through elementary and middle. Was an A and B student. Never commited a crime. I was and still am very patriotic. I love USA, the greatest country of all time. I have an southern american "accent". My dad helped fix and repair buildings or houses affected by hurricanes. They paid taxes.

And yet, we got deported in 2005 after 10 years for nothing; meanwhile celebrities, models, singers, actors get immediate prioritized citizenship (when they first enter the country) way before me (I am now a 23 geophysicist). It is a really f*cked up prioritization. That deportation really messed up my life. Wish it never happened.

It is not fair. I should deserve to go in before any of those aforementioned ppl. To add on to what vishnu said, dont try to give that "you broke the law" response. Your ancestors broke the law when they came here and killed a lot of natives for no reason, thus preventing and nullifying your anti-immigrant logic and response.
  • dreadluxx likes this

Docfaustino
  • Docfaustino

Snarls Barkley

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:21 PM

Hey everyone, just wondering what people's thoughts are on the "Illegal Immigration Crisis" going on at the southern border with Mexico? I've been keeping on eye on the issue lately and I am very against Obama giving amnesty for a few reasons:

1. They are a very big burden on the economy, especially with the numbers they are coming in. They are costing massive amounts of taxpayer's dollars and lowering the standard of living. They are receiving heaps of free stuff; including healthcare, schooling, housing etc. Most of them are highly unskilled, and contribute almost nothing to the economy. This is just making more people on welfare, creating more of a burden for the average working class American.

2. They say it's "poor children", but majority of these people are 14-17 year old males, and most are connected to gangs. This massive border across North America is open and vulnerable, and the whole world knows it. Ofcourse gangs and terrorists groups are taking advantage of this, and Texas ranchers have found evidence for it. It doesn't matter how bad the people of Central America have it, the people of the USA are under threat, it's a national security issue.

3. These people are also bringing in deadly diseases, and how would you feel if a illegal child was sent to your American kid's school? It's putting the people of America at risk. And it's not just in the border states of California or New Mexico in danger; the illegals are getting sent all around America, putting everyone at risk. And if the issue wasn't serious, why would doctors and nurses be threatened to not speak out about it.

4. The USA has gone from 9 trillion dollars in debt to 17 trillion while Obama's administration has been in power. America is not in the position to help out everyone else. Clean up your own yard before offering hands to your neighbours, simple.

5. Why should these people get better treatment than those already living in America struggling. Estimates in 2012 say 16% of Americans live in poverty, up from 14.3% in 2009. Help them first, where's their free handouts from the government that the illegals get?

6. And the last reason; the most oblivious one. By entering the country illegally, they are breaking the law. They should be deported, correct? America is a country of laws, and they should be followed.

I'm sure there would be more points but these are the ones I could think of on top of my head. I'd like to hear what other people have to say, considering I swing more to the right-wing/Republican side. But I do feel this is a serious issue for America, whether you swing left or right, it effects everyone.

1. Statistics from somewhere please. The kind of welfare you're talking about isn't the drain on the economy that you think it is. Corporate welfare takes a bigger slice out of your dollar than the SNAP program ever will. The largest, wealthiest, most powerful corporations are on the public teat. Boeing takes in 13 billion in government handouts but single mothers and immigrants are to blame? IIRC, illegals can receive schooling and emergency medical care but not welfare or SNAP benefits. Also, if I'm an undocumented immigrant I pay sales tax on everything I buy and property tax on my home, too. We'd be better off debating this with a couple charts so I'll come back to this.

2. Not just politically incorrect but incorrect. That's a blanket statement that you can't toss out there without some sort of verification. I agree with you that the border should be secured. Not sure I've seen any conclusive evidence about terrorist activities but our national security depends on what might happen, not what is already happening. I would be in favor of making illegal immigration easier, spreading more education about how immigration actually affects our country, and securing the border as a 3 point broad immigration plan but I don't think we're even going to get a single bill passed. And yes it does matter how badly the people of Central America have it. We plundered Central America for profit and geopolitical interests during the Cold War and our country's ever-growing drug demand fuels the black market that has put their countries in danger and costs millions of lives. The drug war is a major causation here and it spreads as far as resort islands off the coast of Belize, where our deported Belizean immigrants who were deported for selling drugs brought the bloods and crips to a resort town and started torturing and murdering people. I'm getting off topic but OUR war on drugs has accelerated this crisis tremendously and I believe we should care MORE about what happens in our geographical sphere from a humanitarian perspective. 

3. How would I feel if an illegal child went to my school? I grew up with it. They got the short end of the stick, I didn't. Imaginary smallpox isn't going to hurt you and your children, a tick borne illness will. 

4. Would you apply this mantra to the wars in the Middle East? Our own backyard isn't going to be cleaned up as long as there's gridlock. My good friend Tony was a secretary under New Jersey's pre-Christie governor and as he said to me, "Obama and Boehner need to sit down, have a long drink, a long smoke, and come to a compromise." Of course that's never going to happen, but obstruction and the divergence  on the political spectrum of our two parties is to blame. And the media fanning the flames of discontent for more viewers. Immigration reform (making it easier for immigrants to immigrate, become legal) would be cleaning up our own backyard because this is part of the mess no? 

5. This rise (haven't verified) is because of rising income inequality that is exacerbated by corporate welfare, spending on stupid things, a lack of caring on capitol hill. Immigrants aren't getting welfare man. 

6. Good question. Let's be pragmatic and see how much it would cost. 

Discrimination also tends to follow immigration. My #1 political issue is equal treatment for all. The "Liberty and Justice for all" in the Pledge of Allegiance has always appealed to me as a mantra for America. A Mexican immigrant with an O1 Visa is more likely to get deported than Justin Bieber, who has numerous felonies on his record and also has an O1. An O1 by the way is for those with significant talents in arts or science. Hate crimes still happen. I'll never forget when I lived in Long Island, New York, a haven for immigrants because of all the construction and service industry jobs, the ugliness between working class white fishermen and working class immigrants. A fisherman's son chased an immigrant's son with a chainsaw and threatened to kill him for taking jobs. Ultimately what the country needs is understanding. But in our schools, we don't teach children how the world works and we don't educate them on the problems the society they will grow up in will face. I don't see why we dont' teach kids about immigration, healthcare, and the economy instead of calculus and f*cking earth science so they can vote intelligently. And in our news media you can't expect to get unbiased perspective on anything. So ultimately what we have is a discriminatory camp who is scared for American jobs but doesn't really know why, and a kneejerk reactionary camp that just shouts "This nation was founded by immigrants", which to me is just hollow. 

What a lot of conservatives don't realize is big business, which is closely tied to the establishment Republican party really, really wants immigration reform because for them it means saving some costs on labor. This is why Eric Cantor was trying to get immigration reform passed. The anti-immigration right is anti-immigration for one of 3 reasons. They strongly want to go against the left wing, they strongly believe terrorists will come through the Mexican border, or they're threatened economically (usually this is the lower class). Frankly I don't see how ANY reform could be worse than what we already have. We barely have an immigration system because we refuse to update it. People living off the grid. Detention homes. Difficulty emigrate legally and facing discrimination when one then decides to immigrate illegally.  If anyone is familiar with Cesar Chavez, the plight of the strawberry workers in California hasn't gotten any better. 

There's also the elephant in the room. The effect of the drug trade on violence in Central America and consequently, immigration to America. But many feel that spending MORE resources on the war on drugs is somehow going to help this issue. 

• RandallFlagg00 likes this

Jeone
  • Jeone

"banned in dc"

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:35 PM

27zyjj5.jpg

Why are you anti "illegal" immigration when your ancestors are illegal immigrants themselves?

eroch
  • eroch

Self-Absorbed

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:47 PM

27zyjj5.jpg

Why are you anti "illegal" immigration when your ancestors are illegal immigrants themselves?

Everyone everywhere who isn't a pre-Bantu African is guilty of illegal immigration by this logic. 

Docfaustino
  • Docfaustino

Snarls Barkley

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:01 PM Edited by Docfaustino, 09 October 2014 - 10:01 PM.

It's not logical either. That argument is only going to hold weight with the bleeding heart crowd, which is already on your side. If you are pro-immigration the only way to show the opposing side the light is to break down immigration in economic terms (how it can benefit the country financially) instead of moralist terms. I guarantee you the average southwestern American at an anti-immigration rally doesn't give a sh*t that his ancestors immigrated from another nation. Or that we may or not be on Native American land. He's either angry that A) the new wave of immigrants might take his job (in which case there is data in this very thread to prove such a person wrong) or B) he doesn't like the brown people, in which case say screw it and move on. 

Part of the problem with political issues these days is they are politicized in to soundbites and one liners that sound good on paper but mean very little and most of all do nothing to communicate effectively with those who lean in the opposite direction politically. To me, we are all immigrants sounds good on paper and appeals to those who already agree with immigration but does nothing to break down the barrier between those are pro-immigration and those who are anti-immigration. It's a lot like "guns don't kill people, people kill people." Sounds catchy, will appeal to the people who already agree with you, but does nothing to convince someone who is pro-gun control because it doesn't assuage their fears. Food for thought. 

DJ Arrt
  • DJ Arrt

Dreamer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:21 AM

So Jim Crow Laws should've been followed because it was the law?

• RandallFlagg00 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users