• None

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

or do you think its time for r* to bring in new writers

MrSemiFunny
  • MrSemiFunny

Can run Zork at 60FPS!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:35 PM Edited by MrSemiFunny, 29 July 2014 - 08:35 PM.

No he is a bad writer. Hire the writers of Sharknado and we have a good game.
  • ocd likes this

greenrock
  • greenrock

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

i disagree...i think he is a good writer when rockstar game has a perticular theme, like red dead

i just think he gets lazy with gta...but i dont think he is a bad writer... he is working within an open world game with the confines of the world of gta...its not like he is incapable of writing a serious plot, its just he is working within these boundaries....

• tokyocean and BLOOD-MOND like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich alle.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

I'd like to keep them on, but first lock them in a room for a month with GTA 3 and Vice City to make them think about where the series went to and to take it back to the good 'ol days

• Marwin Moody, ObsydianRaven, sqre and 9 others like this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:45 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 29 July 2014 - 08:48 PM.

"SMH" wtf? He is also the VP of Rockstar Games not just the Writer,so why should he stop? dont see that happening unless something bad happens (God Forbid).

@universetwisters
Lol,but tbh what wrong with V's Storyline? I still dont understand.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

I'm willing to give them one more chance to redeem themselves. If next part will have so messed up writing as V had, it will be time to hire someone new.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich alle.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

@universetwisters
Lol,but tbh what wrong with V's Storyline? I still dont understand.

The plot resembled a tacky 1980s action flick, most of the characters were either poorly written (Trevor) or became irrelevant for most of the game (Franklin), the missions, if not heists, are generally unremarkable, and so forth. That and multiple plotholes make the game a recipe for sh*t.

• sqre, Mr_Leone, PhilosophicalZebra and 2 others like this

burnzy187
  • burnzy187

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:11 PM

I say keep him but i hope he learns from his mistake for the f*ck up that was endings A and B apart from that he is one of the best story tellers hes like the Martin Scorsese of video games 

• BLOOD-MOND likes this

TheUnholy
  • TheUnholy

Crap Fly

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:20 PM Edited by TheUnholy, 29 July 2014 - 09:20 PM.

Actually Dan Houser is a good writer, so I won't bother if Dan continues writing, but after GTA V, I think they should check on and look at themselves and start thinking what they're up to do with the games' stories. Sometimes I think, GTA V has become a sacrifice for the sake of bringing a full-blown game while throwing up to story to a trash basket. I've mentioned it a LOT of times, but sorry... V didn't make it in terms of the storyline and its elements but I see that somehow some people did eat this "cheap food" and got hopped on it. Look, Dan is probably one of the best when it comes to writing scenarios for video games but I really started to cut out my hopes on more good storylines after GTA V. I think that V's story was rushed because R* felt like giving more importance to open-world gaming, with which the story should have been put in concern.

• sqre, ANAL_PLUNDERING and tokyocean like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich alle.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

Sometimes I even think GTA 5's plot was actually an advertisement for GTA Online.

• theGTAking101, RandomStunt, Tikhung and 2 others like this

tokyocean
  • tokyocean

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

i disagree...i think he is a good writer when rockstar game has a perticular theme, like red dead

i just think he gets lazy with gta...but i dont think he is a bad writer... he is working within an open world game with the confines of the world of gta...its not like he is incapable of writing a serious plot, its just he is working within these boundaries....

He's definitely a great writer. It's just that there's only so much you can do with GTA. There's only so much you can do to try to make a greedy bastard who would kill innocent people for money seem likable. With Red Dead Redemption, it's different. John Marston is a true hero who turned his life around. John Marston isn't an outlaw who would kill people just for money. John Marston is a hero. Great heroes make for great plots. How exactly do you write a good plot about a greedy guy who would kill for money? I'd say Dan Houser deserves a lot of credit for tricking us into believing these money-hungry killers are good people. We even glorify them. That's how you know Dan Houser is a good writer.

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

copy of a copy of a copy

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:02 PM

I'd like to keep them on, but first lock them in a room for a month with GTA 3 and Vice City to make them think about where the series went to and to take it back to the good 'ol days

Exactly, lol. An entire room, no food or nothing for a day with just pictures of Tommy and Claude going around doing missions all around the room in square.

I personally thing Dan should still write for GTA games because he is one of the head guys there and founders if I am correct, also he wrote most of the GTA games that we love now adays too. He only needs to stop with too much scotch whiskey, go to rehab and become the good old Houser again and write an epic storyline for GTA VI :)

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich alle.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:10 PM

I just wish Dan & Sam wrote everything like the old days and stopped outsourcing their radio dialogue to Lazlow and his company. There's an old charm about the commercials from III that you know weren't rushed for a project by Lazlow's company.

• Mr_Leone and Judicious 7 like this

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:20 PM

If GTA4 and GTA5 actually got the criticism they deserved when they were released it would have been a lot better for the future of the series imo.

Getting these 10/10 only hurts the games in the long run - The Proof is in the Pudding.

I think fresh blood is needed, but I will keep my mind open for one more game, then I will Let Dan know my verdict.

• ANAL_PLUNDERING likes this

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

I want Paul Kurowski to design cars again...

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Playa

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:48 PM

He's definitely a great writer. It's just that there's only so much you can do with GTA. There's only so much you can do to try to make a greedy bastard who would kill innocent people for money seem likable. With Red Dead Redemption, it's different. John Marston is a true hero who turned his life around. John Marston isn't an outlaw who would kill people just for money. John Marston is a hero. Great heroes make for great plots. How exactly do you write a good plot about a greedy guy who would kill for money? I'd say Dan Houser deserves a lot of credit for tricking us into believing these money-hungry killers are good people. We even glorify them. That's how you know Dan Houser is a good writer.

yeah I agree he is a great writer and without him GTA wouldn't really be GTA

he uses this particular humor (american satire etc.) in every game that I really like and find unique

Thats probably the reason why we don't feel for GTA protagonists like for John Marston: at the end of the day they are just really bad f*cking people

And I love them for that!

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

My Ravioli's Too Spicy!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:57 PM

I want whoever wrote GTA IV and its episodes to write all video games forever and whoever wrote GTA V to shoot themselves.
  • darkplague, Miamivicecity, Mr_Leone and 6 others like this

darkplague
  • darkplague

Instigater

• Members

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:37 AM

I want whoever wrote GTA IV and its episodes to write all video games forever and whoever wrote GTA V to shoot themselves.

Amen, Bring back the whole team from GTA IV.

• Mr_Leone, theGTAking101 and RandomStunt like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich alle.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:48 AM

But didn't the guys who wrote IV write V aswell?

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

My Ravioli's Too Spicy!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:01 AM

Then they either need to get back off or back on drugs.

• Mr_Leone and theGTAking101 like this

Ray
  • Ray

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:14 AM

Yes, both were written by Dan Houser and Rupert Humphries.

Harryhenry
  • Harryhenry

The only person on this forum who likes GTA V

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:04 AM Edited by Harryhenry, 30 July 2014 - 08:10 AM.

You fool! (actually you're pretty cool. Your identity crisis post, even though I (obviously) disagreed with you, your post was probably the best of the many GTA V SUCKS! forum threads, and presented a whole bunch of really good poi- wait, where was I? Oh, right...)

Because the writers of GTA IV also wrote V, and you asked for them to shoot themselves, even though you wanted those who wrote IV to write all games forever, you've created a time paradox!

• theGTAking101 and Drunken Cowboy like this

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:33 AM

GTA is simply too big as a franchise, so no matter what they do, there will be many who will complain, and many who will praise it like it's the best thing sine chocolate. In my opinion, they should refresh the game as a whole with something that's not just a crime drama (yes, I do understand GTA is that at it's core and that's what defines it, it's even in the title). But the problem is: if they make a crime/gang/mafia story, some will criticize for it getting stale and not moving forward. If they try to switch it up a bit (like V where they tried to got with FIB, ICA) then they get criticized for not being about gang/mafia... so it's a lose/lose if you're going to only listen to the critics.

As for the writers, It would be good to bring on someone new, who's can write a good satire to add to the story and make it a bit more fun, as they've maybe become a bit too serious.

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:35 AM Edited by Queen Elizabeth II, 30 July 2014 - 11:35 AM.

GTA is simply too big as a franchise, so no matter what they do, there will be many who will complain

Blah blah blah..

Ofcourse, but.. come on - they had great team and they hired some stupid people who can't even name cars properly..

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:19 PM Edited by Blennerville, 30 July 2014 - 01:22 PM.

I want whoever wrote GTA IV and its episodes to write all video games forever.

I think it was written by the same guys that wrote 'Depressing sh*t'  :cry:

Lowi
  • Lowi

PC MASTER RACE

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

dan houser is best houser

• Miamivicecity, Mr_Leone, Lucario 2.0 and 2 others like this

HowYaDoingSlick
  • HowYaDoingSlick

theBoy that loves your mom but willgive you a BJ On the way Home

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:00 PM

of course i want him To Continue  i think his writing is getting better and better 

the team of dan houser rupert Humpahires and Micheal Unsworth have worked Fantastic 

people talk about how bad the story is  In V Is i fail to to see how yeah it has some Strange  decisions at times but its still has the best Dialouge in the Series the Humor and Creativity is Real Movie Quality.    and im sorry but its still better than the  Generic cliche stories from the Last Era Of games are you going to tell me  San Andreas (which was Absolute Tripe) has a better Story than V ?  or the simple cliche 80s gangster  revenge story ? sorry i would have to Respectfully Disagree.

people just look at the plot of the game and think i don't like the government part of the story or my Favorite character got killed so its poorly written or its corny blah blah f*cking blah yet they fail to Realize or Uncover the Brilliance Satire and Social Commentary that V Has it was  a coming of age Story IMO  a story about growing up  and Friendship  i would say  its far deeper and better written  than what most   people give it credit for .

TheDeaconBosco
  • TheDeaconBosco

A car so nice, they've named it twice

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:15 PM

Funny how you mention the satire, it was brilliant in IV but now all I seem to hear from V's radio is rehashed material from IV and "ToiletCleanerMillenialsHipstersSwingersTriathlons". There were a few pearls  here and there but I'm still lukewarm ("4 out of 6 gays don't want to marry anyway", that's hilarious) about that too...

I used to be dead set on not wanting to have an other period piece, but that might just be what R* needs to produce to get back into the groove.

• universetwisters, theGTAking101 and Zello like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich alle.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:27 PM

I used to be dead set on not wanting to have an other period piece, but that might just be what R* needs to produce to get back into the groove.

As bummed out as I am seeing GTA turning from a video game to an interactive "social commentary" that looks like it came out of South Park, I think a period piece could save GTA. After all, it'd be good to avoid hipster jokes in the 1980s.

• Zello likes this

Judicious 7
  • Judicious 7

Compassionate

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:57 AM Edited by Judicious 7, 09 August 2014 - 02:58 AM.

I guess i'd like Dan to continue to write the games, however I think he needs to sit down in a quiet room and pace himself. GTA V just had "Impress everybody" written all over it. I want him and his team to go back and write good storylines & characters. Heck, even if they mess up with the storyline, they could at least have decent characters. San Andreas was proof. I still don't get the storyline, but the characters are the most memorable with their lines and their mannerisms.

The 3D era stories were okay, but the writers truly outdone themselves with IV. Here's the thing. I truly wish we could see GTA IV & TLaD material writing again. That was amazing writing and tremendous character development. I'm a little disturbed that TBoGT & V ended up throwing that away and scrapping good storylines and characters.

They should bring back true cultural satire and write it correctly. Shoving it in my face and adding penis jokes every 5 minutes isn't funny. Talking about Liberals and going on and on about hipsters isn't funny either. They're cheap gags, and I'm disappointed that they would lower themselves to overused jokes.

Dude, even RDR & Max Payne 3 had better and more clever jokes than V. John Marston would once in a while say a moral truth in a joking manner. Max Payne in his recovering alcoholic state would even spout a few cynical jokes during narration. Come on now, Dan and his team know better.

^ bad example, right? sorry... but just listen to the writing before V, you'll see what i'm saying.

• maxpaynefan likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users