Quantcast

» «
Photo

Whats R*'s Excuse for V's Weak Melee Combat System?

211 replies to this topic
Payne
  • Payne

Time move forward, nothing changes.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:01 PM

What's their excuse for weak melee combat system? Casualism of course as everything in that game is so terribly easy (except cops), it's not funny anymore. I can understand that game that is too hard for some people may be annoying, but game that practically plays itself not giving any challenge (V) is even worse. 

You think IV is more hard than V? Please tell me more...

V has the worst melee of the series. People say it works how they want it yet your character does some rocket boost slide is just stupid, and who kicks like that.

It's actually one of the best. In the others there weren't any KO punches or sealth attacks.
GTA 4 had KO punches but you have to time it right.

temi4328
  • temi4328

"The crow no longer sings to me"

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

I prefer Gta V's melee. Gta 4 was sweet but only with counter-attacks. Wasn't Niko skilled in some sort of fighting but yet the late Johhny K(f*ck you trevor lol) and Luis have the same fighting skill and counter-attacks as Niko?

They were DLCs, but they were given slightly different punching heavy attacks, which are somewhat awkward and miss.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:18 PM Edited by Tycek, 14 August 2014 - 08:27 PM.

What's their excuse for weak melee combat system? Casualism of course as everything in that game is so terribly easy (except cops), it's not funny anymore. I can understand that game that is too hard for some people may be annoying, but game that practically plays itself not giving any challenge (V) is even worse. 

Yes, it was harder than V. IV was one of the easiest GTAs out there, but it wasn't holding your hand all the time and there were missions that could hand you your ass. V is laughably easy with self recovering health, weapons with no recoil and no aim dispersion, one shot kills and over the place checkpoints asking if you want to skip parts of the mission. 

Melee fight is also laughably easy, since people don't retaliate in any way. In IV you could be simply kicked by typical guy from the street if you didn't dodge his attacks properly. In V I killed ten guys just by pressing attack button and I lost a bit of health. I didn't even have look at the TV, since the character automatically takes aim at the next target. You want to tell me it's harder than IV. Please tell me more...

• TheOtherRyan, josephene123, Kampret and 1 other like this

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:00 AM Edited by Cutter De Blanc, 15 August 2014 - 08:01 AM.

You guys know you can just hold square to dodge? No need to time it anymore. 

I remember my first death in GTAIV. I was staring at some guy smoking a cigarette until he got mad and beat my ass as I feebly tried to defend myself. 

I tried that in GTA V when I first started and killed the person I was picking a fight with in one punch. :/

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

We're not strong, We're injustice strong !!!

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:59 PM

V has the worst melee of the series. People say it works how they want it yet your character does some rocket boost slide is just stupid, and who kicks like that.

It's actually one of the best. In the others there weren't any KO punches or sealth attacks.
GTA 4 had KO punches but you have to time it right.

Yeah but a KO punch can happen anytime. In gta v run up to someone and KO them.

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:13 PM

Yes, it was harder than V. IV was one of the easiest GTAs out there, but it wasn't holding your hand all the time and there were missions that could hand you your ass. V is laughably easy with self recovering health, weapons with no recoil and no aim dispersion, one shot kills and over the place checkpoints asking if you want to skip parts of the mission. 

Melee fight is also laughably easy, since people don't retaliate in any way. In IV you could be simply kicked by typical guy from the street if you didn't dodge his attacks properly. In V I killed ten guys just by pressing attack button and I lost a bit of health. I didn't even have look at the TV, since the character automatically takes aim at the next target. You want to tell me it's harder than IV. Please tell me more...

But you're wrong. The free aiming was easy in IV, and the auto aim was like glue. It takes does more than one shot to kill someone V unless it's a powerful gun. This isn't Watch Dogs. The cops and enimies were tougher and had better shooting. People were complaining about the lack of checkpoints, so they added it.

So was IV's. Most NPCs sucked at fighting. KO punches can happen easily in real life. Don't you watch fighting. Besides they're much better than running up to a dude pushing him. In GTA IV online you didn't have to anything. Most people just messed around in freemode and there were a lot of hackers. But please tell me how IV was more "competitive"... 

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:01 AM

So was IV's. Most NPCs sucked at fighting. KO punches can happen easily in real life. Don't you watch fighting. Besides they're much better than running up to a dude pushing him. In GTA IV online you didn't have to anything. Most people just messed around in freemode and there were a lot of hackers. But please tell me how IV was more "competitive"... 

Yeah, but in GTA V peds don't gang up like they do in GTA IV. As I explained in one of my posts all they do in GTA V is stand back and wait. In GTA IV multiple peds would lay punches and kicks making fights more challenging.

There's no challenge to GTA V at all. Tycek is right. GTA IV isn't the hardest GTA, but it's no where near as hand holding as GTA V is. 

2. You can't control if you want to punch or kick someone.

This is why I'm not a fan of GTA V's melee. At least GTA IV has separate buttons for punching and kicking.

• Cutter De Blanc, Donut, josephene123 and 2 others like this

fefenc
  • fefenc

All are equal no discrimination, Son of a Gun, a simple equation

• BUSTED!
  • Brazil

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:12 AM Edited by fefenc, 16 August 2014 - 03:16 AM.

Yeah, but in GTA V peds don't gang up like they do in GTA IV. As I explained in one of my posts all they do in GTA V is stand back and wait. In GTA IV multiple peds would lay punches and kicks making fights more challenging.

There's no challenge to GTA V at all. Tycek is right. GTA IV isn't the hardest GTA, but it's no where near as hand holding as GTA V is. 

I agree with you, I must admit that making counter-combos is a bit harder and frustrating in IV, but when I see Luis crouching to dodge a punch, I get a f*cking satistaction feeling. In V, our punchs and kicks are heatseekers, if we punch someone 2 meters away from us, we'll fly to them and hit the punch/kick, this is ridiculous and unrealistic.

• TheOtherRyan and Donut like this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:26 AM

To be honest I prefer the melee more in TBOGT. Luis tends to move more naturally rather than being robotic and stiff like Niko and Johnny yet the system still retains intricacy from GTA IV. I love the caged fights because of that.

• fefenc and Payne like this

Payne
  • Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:31 AM

To be honest I prefer the melee more in TBOGT. Luis tends to move more naturally rather than being robotic and stiff like Niko and Johnny yet the system still retains intricacy from GTA IV. I love the caged fights because of that.

I found it to be more smooth with niko, than with johnny or luis.
  • TheOtherRyan likes this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:47 AM

I found it smoother in TBOGT, but that's just me.:)

• fefenc and Payne like this

Payne
  • Payne

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:51 AM

I found it smoother in TBOGT, but that's just me.:)
When I would use the Y, or triangle it would feel more smooth with NB. Might just be my Xbox360 controller.

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:06 AM

2. You can't control if you want to punch or kick someone.

This is why I'm not a fan of GTA V's melee. At least GTA IV has separate buttons for punching and kicking

I think I just proved IV is very simple. Other than the NPCs jumping you, and lack of check point there's really nothing that tough about the game.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:51 AM Edited by Tycek, 16 August 2014 - 07:53 AM.

V fans' heads are thicker than concrete. Of course V is very challenging and satisfying. And of course IV once more is the pariah of the series. Sometimes I wonder, why I even bother. And you didn't prove sh*t other than your skull is thick and you lack proper knowledge how to debate. 

• TheOtherRyan and josephene123 like this

bruvs-mcfc
  • bruvs-mcfc

Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

I love melee combat either just fists or with tools too , but deathmatches are driving me insane I'll be in perfect position to made nice short quick stabs but instead like a f*cking retard he tries to kick and other player either stabs me or smashes my skull in , any one got any tips for getting the best out of this arsehole system , cheers

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Union Of Flesh And Machine

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:38 AM Edited by B Dawg, 16 August 2014 - 10:42 AM.

But please tell me how IV was more "competitive"... 

Because you didn't have super cheap ways of killing people: Tanks, Sticky Bomb 360 degrees aim driveby throws, no Buzzards with unlimited rockets (IV/TLAD) The only weapons I'd consider noobish would be the RPG and the Street Sweeper in TLAD, and the Infernus with the rear armored window.

Then you had to control bulletspread by tap-firing or burst-firing unlike V (consoles only, because for some reason R* disabled bulletspread on PC for the mouse)

• TheOtherRyan, josephene123 and Kampret like this

fefenc
  • fefenc

• BUSTED!
  • Brazil

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:49 PM Edited by fefenc, 16 August 2014 - 09:50 PM.

I found it smoother in TBOGT, but that's just me. :)

It isn't that just you. For some reason, fighting on TBOGT is slight smoothier than IV and TLaD. V's style? fk that casualplayer sh*t

• TheOtherRyan, Kampret and Payne like this

THE_TREVALEV
  • THE_TREVALEV

they eat da poo poo

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:08 AM

Console limitations

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:24 AM

Console limitations

This excuse wont have much merit any more with the XB1/PS4 and PC versions.

fefenc
  • fefenc

• BUSTED!
  • Brazil

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:30 AM Edited by fefenc, 26 August 2014 - 02:33 AM.

It's simple, kids doesn't like realism and physics on fighting styles, nor practice to be good at it, this is why R* has downgraded the car physics and the fighting style/physics, they've only heard their public target for GTA V.

• TheOtherRyan, Tycek, Nico and 1 other like this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2015
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

Every GTA has had poor melee. SA almost made up for it with the new moves in the gyms, something that woulda have been cool in V (anyone played True Crime: NYC? You could learn different styles (and switch them up - very fun)

And talking of True Crime, Sleeping Dogs has an excellent fighting system - something GTA really needs to sit up and take notice of imo. The animations of V's fighting are good, less clunky than IV's but the fighting is still a little lacking.

Maybe it's simply because none of the three characters plausible know martial arts, but it's another dimension GTA V lacks in. Still, some of the fighting in V is just lame. One hit kills for example. RDR had a great system of knocking out your enemies (they'd come to, but you had time to flee, and you too could be knocked out, only you could never kill them with fists, or knock them out for longer). In V it's the opposite. A bitchslap to a bulky bodybuilder kills him... yeah, right.

• TheOtherRyan and Cutter De Blanc like this

Colognenigguh
  • Colognenigguh

OG

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:46 AM

I would say they are equally good maybe IV slightly better another thing that nobify mention ed is the kicking while enemy is on the ground. Imo it looks redicoulous and not really powerful in gta V in Gta IV Niko would stomp the sh*t out of his opp. When V came out I was really excited for the fighting system and I loved it as tge stiffness from IV was gone but Vs system just has ti many negative facts, for example the kick always sh*t is really annoying. All in all I would say that GTA IV system us slightly better.
  • TheOtherRyan likes this

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:40 AM Edited by rahjee, 25 August 2014 - 06:28 PM.

V fans' heads are thicker than concrete. Of course V is very challenging and satisfying. And of course IV once more is the pariah of the series. Sometimes I wonder, why I even bother. And you didn't prove sh*t other than your skull is thick and you lack proper knowledge how to debate. 

And you know how to debate, but yet you're the one posting insults. Just because I clearly proved you wrong, doesn't mean you have to be a complete sore loser about it. You're just proving how low your maturity level is and how stupid your debating skills actually are.

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:53 AM

But please tell me how IV was more "competitive"... 

Because you didn't have super cheap ways of killing people: Tanks, Sticky Bomb 360 degrees aim driveby throws, no Buzzards with unlimited rockets (IV/TLAD) The only weapons I'd consider noobish would be the RPG and the Street Sweeper in TLAD, and the Infernus with the rear armored window.

Then you had to control bulletspread by tap-firing or burst-firing unlike V (consoles only, because for some reason R* disabled bulletspread on PC for the mouse)

IV's shooting was a lot easier as I said earlier. The Auto aim was like glue, and the free aim was very free. The cops and gangs are a lot tougher in V, and they could shoot better. I'm not trying to be rude but saying V having more powerful weapons and tanks doesn't prove a thing. They cost a lot of money (Even Online), and you couldn't find weapons like in IV. Besides the assult rifles, shot guns, and pistols are still around the same damage in both games. 

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

And you know how to debate, but yet you're the one posting insults. Just because I clearly proved you wrong, doesn't mean you have to be a complete sore loser about it. You're just proven how low your maturity level is and how stupid your debating skills actually are.

I would really like to see how and where did you proved me wrong. You're the complete loser, yet you can't take it like a man. Get real or get lost. 

• josephene123 likes this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:40 AM Edited by Xerukal, 25 August 2014 - 10:40 AM.

It's simple, kids doesn't like realism and physics on fighting styles, nor practice to be good at it, that's why R* has downgraded the car physics and the fighting style/physics, they've only heard their public target for GTA V.

The physics of GTA V's fist fights are pretty realistic, though. Enjoyable to look at, actually. Punching someone and then seeing them hit a trash bin on their way down. Stuff like that. 

Realism-wise, it beats having a gangster from the hood learning advanced martial arts techniques by just being a bodybuilder. But hey, fun > realism, right? And the fighting styles in SA were indeed pretty f*cking awesome, even if they were thematically unfitting/unrealistic.

Ah, the double standards...

• IDAS Leader likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Union Of Flesh And Machine

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

The fighting styles in SA were indeed pretty f*cking awesome, even if they were thematically unfitting/unrealistic.

Unfitting/unrealistic? Why can't a protagonist learn stuff? :p

• IDAS Leader likes this

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:38 PM Edited by rahjee, 25 August 2014 - 11:19 PM.

Stop convincing yourself with these dumb ideas. They're just becoming distractions, so you could get in my head and move away from the argument. It's not working. Now take your own advice, stop making noise and actually post something legit, or make like Roman and run away like a little girl.

EditingYourMouth
  • EditingYourMouth

I saw that new GTA game, Midnight Club : Los Santos

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

The NPCs and fighting mechanism in GTA V is atrocious. In GTA 3 it was much better.

• josephene123 likes this

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:20 PM

The NPCs and fighting mechanism in GTA V is atrocious. In GTA 3 it was much better.

^^^ Were you dropped at birth?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users