Quantcast

» «
Photo

Whats R*'s Excuse for V's Weak Melee Combat System?

211 replies to this topic
oCrapaCreeper
  • oCrapaCreeper

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:12 PM Edited by oCrapaCreeper, 28 July 2014 - 11:14 PM.

The whole 1-hit KO with fists thing only happens if the ped you hit is the weaker type, and you hit them off guard. Use the d-pad to taunt them and make them want to fight and it's a different story. Of course once you start leveling up your strength the fights are even quicker.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Union Of Flesh And Machine

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:45 AM Edited by B Dawg, 29 July 2014 - 08:46 AM.

The "teleport to your opponent and kill them" attack just feels really cheap. Like they realised their melee combat sucks ass and there'd be practically no way to hit a fleeing opponent if you didn't suddenly turn into Icarus and fly twenty feet to punch them in the head.

In IV you could always sprint at peds, make them fall over and proceed by kicking/punching them while they're down :p

One-hit kills should be reserved for powerful counter attacks like in IV.

El Chinx Antrax is my hero ツ

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:48 AM Edited by Syphiroth, 29 July 2014 - 08:56 AM.

Can Q the silencers used for firearms and stealth purpose too?
Both don't change/do anything for what it's described to do.
Like the desert and ocean are pointless
Can just be put down on wasted rush fill-in for unknown purposes and that's just many of things the game lacks. Shame, I like GTA V but you got f*ck all reasons to remain attached in SP and f*cking plenty reasons from glitch making piss stains of inbreed users tryin' be Gods online.
Somehow R* teams for SP and MP can not solve the problems after update, after update and update. I'd love being apart of the R*-SP team.
Do f*ck all get paid and go, "yeah them online features you MP crew made just throw Mike, a Frank and Trev the guns and cars, and we gonna finish our day" - should get themselves online and moderate sessions.
  • matajuegos01 likes this

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

I'v been off this sh*thole section of the forums for months.

It makes me feel very sad to know that the same people who were hating back then are still hating now.

Also, did you just f*cking say IV's melee system was better than Vs? f*cking seriously?

IV's melee system is identical to Pac Man, that's how fights were.

• IDAS Leader and Frito-Man like this

DANIEL3GS
  • DANIEL3GS

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

Especially the knife fights in GTAIV were amazing. Now you kill someone with one stab. You could dodge punches and make some special moves, which were different. Plus your enemy sometimes had a baseballbat or a knife. In GTAV if they have a mellee weapon (which is rare) they take out a gun after some punches.

Doland J. Trump
  • Doland J. Trump

#MakeAmericaGreatAgain

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

Just realism, them folk in California are weak as f*ck. 

• TheOtherRyan and IDAS Leader like this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Phill Bellic. The Universal L.E.O.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

Laziness I'm assuming. Thoughts?

Cheers.

• IDAS Leader likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

Excuse?

They made it how they wanted it.

There's not much else to it, really...

You don't know that. I mean the controls don't even work as presented! You're saying they wanted it like that? I sure hope not!

Hey, he may be on to something here. I'm sure that, in development, they were all looking at the melee system and saying 'we don't like this, but it's actually physically impossible for us to change this in any way at all because reasons'.

I know how sh*t works, really, I do. 

aaronimpact
  • aaronimpact

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

The "teleport to your opponent and kill them" attack just feels really cheap. Like they realised their melee combat sucks ass and there'd be practically no way to hit a fleeing opponent if you didn't suddenly turn into Icarus and fly twenty feet to punch them in the head.

I'll agree that the actual physics are better, which is why it's such a damn shame that the fights themselves have been watered down.

I think the teleporting is more to do with not being able to lock on to your opponent in melee combat. It's kind of like auto-aim.

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

This game was a step back on many aspects, not just melee.
I think, whatever you call it, dumbed down or better for some, the melee system seems just 'fine' for a 'casual player'.
And, I think this is really the only reason they could do something so badly than many of their best known features in the past.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:58 AM

Just realism, them folk in California are weak as f*ck. 

Too much realism bro :p

THE_TREVALEV
  • THE_TREVALEV

they eat da poo poo

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

There needs to be a push button. RDR did it best. It's funny as hell going to random people, starting sh*t and running away lol
  • Choco Taco likes this

J-B
  • J-B

The Benz

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

That shin kick. I don't know why, but Michael seems to to throw punches more.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

They already put effort into a melee system, it's called Vice City Stories, only GTA game where you can grapple, counter, takedown, grab, throw, drag and snap peoples necks.

Only no one mentioned they liked it, so Rockstar thought no one did.
  • Immigration, Darth_Starkiller, IDAS Leader and 2 others like this

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

They already put effort into a melee system, it's called Vice City Stories, only GTA game where you can grapple, counter, takedown, grab, throw, drag and snap peoples necks.

I liked it, alot. It was almost on par with Bully's fighting system.

• Cutter De Blanc likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

Too bad Stories aren't on PC :( (the mod for SA doesn't count)

Some of R*'s decisions just don't make sense :/

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

What? Why not? As far as I know, it's almost finished. Or maybe it's finished already? 

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

What? Why not? As far as I know, it's almost finished. Or maybe it's finished already? 

Almost finished? With only a dozen missions, half finished east island with SA melee mechanics. Lol.

Vec
  • Vec

That tough guy act is ridiculous! >:U

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:22 PM Edited by Vec, 29 July 2014 - 06:23 PM.

Melee system feels a lot better now. 

Punching people is satisfying and it flows faster. Even if they tend to die too fast, in some instances. 

There's a new rhythm to the melee system. 

1. Insult the sh*t out of someone 

2. Wait for them to initiate the fight 

3. 1 hit KO  

4. Taunt his corpse. 

It's fun.

That's what I do basically. And it's almost addictive D:

I can't help it. I love punching people in this game. Specially run and punch a random person and keep running for the next one

freedom
  • freedom

Peon

• Members

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

I remember in IV where i could roam streets picking fights with random peds, which were always fun and provided me something to do between missions. The fist fights felt smooth for the most part and the peds were more admirable combatants than their V counterparts. 

In V the fist fights feel clunky and very "heavy" in a way, I honestly feel V's melee was a major step-back from IV's. GTA V's combat system feels very neglected. 

So what do you think R*s excuse is for not improving upon IV's combat system. 

Console Limitations?

No Money to improve it?

Not enough time? 

What are your thoughts? 

Yea, I really don't get your the complaints here at all. GTA V's melee combat doesn't feel any more clunky than GTA IV, if anything it is less clunky & more responsive.

The major differences in GTA V's melee combat are the free flow melee attack system, "canned" melee attacks, & only one countering animation.

What you are really asking here is, why didn't Rockstar make it the way you wanted it to be.

Vec
  • Vec

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:26 PM

I remember in IV where i could roam streets picking fights with random peds, which were always fun and provided me something to do between missions. The fist fights felt smooth for the most part and the peds were more admirable combatants than their V counterparts. 

In V the fist fights feel clunky and very "heavy" in a way, I honestly feel V's melee was a major step-back from IV's. GTA V's combat system feels very neglected. 

So what do you think R*s excuse is for not improving upon IV's combat system. 

Console Limitations?

No Money to improve it?

Not enough time? 

What are your thoughts? 

Yea, I really don't get your the complaints here at all. GTA V's melee combat doesn't feel any more clunky than GTA IV, if anything it is less clunky & more responsive.

The major differences in GTA V's melee combat are the free flow melee attack system, "canned" melee attacks, & only one countering animation.

What you are really asking here is, why didn't Rockstar make it the way you wanted it to be.

It's no big difference, but there's actually two counter animations. The other triggers when you dodge two attacks in a row.

I've had situations where some peds countered my knife attack. But it's rare. My character is about to stab the ped, this one stops my arm and with the other free hand punches me in the gut

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:43 PM Edited by Xerukal, 29 July 2014 - 07:43 PM.

Almost finished? With only a dozen missions, half finished east island with SA melee mechanics. Lol.

Close enough... 

:p

stjimmy3
  • stjimmy3

Hater of player haters

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:56 PM

Rockstar: We improved melee combat greatly.

GTA V: Lol you told them what? 

stjimmy3
  • stjimmy3

Hater of player haters

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:03 AM

Another case of one step forward, two steps back.

We come together cause opposites attract 

• prodigalsunz, Ash_735 and TheOtherRyan like this

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:19 AM Edited by Red XIII, 30 July 2014 - 12:23 AM.

I do love GTAIV's fighting a lot better, cage fighting in tbogt was excellent. I think they just neglected it to improve on other, more important stuff.

I hate the way the punch and kick are the same button, I want to keep punching but he throws in a kick, its a very sh*t system but I'm not too bothered by it.

Is it possible to counter attack and disarm someone?

GTAIV's cage fighting online would be awesome, they should've done something like that instead of yoga or arm wrestling.

shattered-minds
  • shattered-minds

Lovely chap

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:48 AM

I'd say its on par with IV's. The punches feel more visceral and like they are connecting more, but the fights are over too quick and we have less control on what attack you do.

Now where people are getting the idea that IV's melee combat was smooth and responsive in the first place, I have no idea! Just like previous GTA's targeting and melee, it ranged from infuriatingly buggy, to serviceable at best.

pilscy
  • pilscy

Don Vito

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:37 AM

I blame yoga once again for this.

0rofl.gif

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

Remember when IV came out and everyone said the melee wasn't as good as San An, because there was only one style of fighting?

Things never change around here. Doesn't matter what R* do, 90% of the people on the V boards will find something to complain about.

DANIEL3GS
  • DANIEL3GS

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:58 AM

Vec
  • Vec

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

Oh. I remembered that Trevor have some attack variations when in rage mode. Yesterday I fought some CGF people and they pulled out guns so went rage mode. The first one he made a little jump and landed a punch. The second one I saw was a more exagerated version of the back slap where he crouches a bit and turns his upper body to the side and slaps the other with the backhand

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users