Quantcast

» «
Photo

Whats R*'s Excuse for V's Weak Melee Combat System?

211 replies to this topic
Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

NPC interaction in V is pretty awful in general.

Yeah, as opposed to what? NPC interaction in previous GTAs? Where you couldn't even f*cking talk to them, aside from the "Positive" or "Negative" responses in San Andreas.

• G.S.T, Im2akillerfish and Frito-Man like this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:18 PM

In GTA V, the melee is pretty great, if a little easy.  In Online it's a laggy mess, but that's the internet for you.

• G.S.T and Trevorphilipjfry like this

Zackyoung1
  • Zackyoung1

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:53 AM

GTA 4 had better combo's and realistic damage compared to 5. The one hit kill is retarded, and the repeated fighting moves are such a waste, I know the characters aren't ninjas but they should have signature fighting moves. Plus peds should have different fighting levels depending on the area they come from, gangsters should be harder to fight then some rich person from the hills.

• Cutter De Blanc, TheKillerDonuts, josephene123 and 2 others like this

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:04 AM

It is faster than GTA IV's system, but it feels way more limited. They should have included a system similar to VCS where you could grapple your opponents. And why do Michael, Trevor and Franklin all have identical fighting moves?

At least it's better than RDR's crappy melee system though.

• Cutter De Blanc, matajuegos01 and Awesom-0 like this

prodigalsunz
  • prodigalsunz

True wisdom is knowing that you know nothing

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:05 AM

IV melee combat was indeed more advanced.

You could do a quick attack for a one hit K.O.

Disarm your enemy, dodge and counter with i believe 6 different finishing moves.

• G.S.T and matajuegos01 like this

Cyberzone2
  • Cyberzone2

Zee's assistant and Resident Troll

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:19 AM

Gta 5 melee system is way better than RDR
  • G.S.T likes this

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:26 AM

You know what I liked most about IV's melee system? Going to a train station with gang activity and beating up thugs until they fell backwards over the rail to their death on the road below. You won't get that in V due to the dumbed down Euphoria physics and lower health of NPCs. I think my only issues with IV's fighting system were the difficulty of fighting two people at once (without melee weapons) and the pacing of attacks. V's is better in terms of pacing, but that's about it.

• DIEXEL and josephene123 like this

Cyberzone2
  • Cyberzone2

Zee's assistant and Resident Troll

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:31 AM

You know what I liked most about IV's melee system? Going to a train station with gang activity and beating up thugs until they fell backwards over the rail to their death on the road below. You won't get that in V due to the dumbed down Euphoria physics and lower health of NPCs. I think my only issues with IV's fighting system were the difficulty of fighting two people at once (without melee weapons) and the pacing of attacks. V's is better in terms of pacing, but that's about it.

Thats bullsh*t

Europhia physic was Improved .

GTA 5 shared the same physics like RDR.

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:35 AM Edited by xXGst0395Xx, 28 July 2014 - 01:35 AM.

Thats bullsh*t

Europhia physic was Improved .

Oh, sorry I share a different view. I don't get that sense unfortunately. I agree on the melee system though, RDR's was a bit of a joke tbh.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:35 AM

The omission of the pushing feature doesn't equal worse pshysics.

Delta India Echo
  • Delta India Echo

f*ck crate drops

• BUSTED!
  • Somalia

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:40 AM Edited by Delta India Echo, 28 July 2014 - 01:40 AM.

No they don't. Where's the drunken physics? Where is the shoving pedestrians? You can shove them if you sprint fast, but they instantly fall down.

• matajuegos01 likes this

Tao Cheng
  • Tao Cheng

Man I'm fuuuucked up!

• Members
  • China

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:47 AM

Too many protagonists, many resources needed.

My GTA Online character sucks because he can't do kung fu.

aaronimpact
  • aaronimpact

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:52 AM

No way. V's melee system is much better than IV's unresponsive clunky mess.

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:55 AM

I can't complain since I rarely use melee, but I hate that you can kill someone with one hit. 

• Cutter De Blanc and josephene123 like this

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:49 AM

Yeah, as opposed to what? NPC interaction in previous GTAs? Where you couldn't even f*cking talk to them, aside from the "Positive" or "Negative" responses in San Andreas.

Rockstar programmed NPCs to call police just for standing near them...that should speak for itself.

CheatingSoi
  • CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:51 AM

Wait, really? I thought GTA V's fighting skills were vastly improved. In GTA IV, fighting was so clunky. You could die from fighting a single ped. The punches are so satisfying and powerful in GTA V. Not to say that it's amazing. But I at least thought it was better.

• Staten and Trevorphilipjfry like this

Del boy
  • Del boy

The Only Fool and Horse of the $treets

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:20 AM

No excuses just laziness :)
Jk.
The kicking people when you press punch is just stupid also wtf happened to the finishers in gta 4 they were so satisfying to pull off
  • TheKillerDonuts likes this

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The X

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:38 AM

I remember in IV if you timed a punch correctly, you can knock them out in one hit. Then, unlike V, they are alive afterwards.
  • G.S.T, TheKillerDonuts, profdrirhenkie and 1 other like this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:42 AM Edited by Xerukal, 28 July 2014 - 06:42 AM.

Rockstar programmed NPCs to call police just for standing near them...that should speak for itself.

Yes. That is pretty awful. But the actual interaction that you are capable of having that is under your control is vastly improved over past games. 

I'm hoping that the "upgraded AI" that was boasted for the new versions means that this problem will be fixed. Maybe they initially wanted to give the NPCs more complex routines, but couldn't end up doing so due to limitations. Like calling the police if you do certain things around them. Not crimes, necessarily. But certain acts of personal space invasion. Not just standing near them. 

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

Original Gangster

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

GTA V is smoother, but it doesn't feel as technical. In GTA IV it takes a lot of practice to time counters and make them stick. Also the fact you can punched/kicked by multiple peds at the same time.

In GTA V they more or less stand back until it's their turn. The counters in GTA IV are better too IMO. The spinning back hand Niko uses makes him look like a boss.

They fixed the clunkyness from GTA IV, but nerfed the other aspects that make GTA IV better.

Another case of one step forward, two steps back.
  • B Dawg, Cutter De Blanc, G.S.T and 6 others like this

Del boy
  • Del boy

The Only Fool and Horse of the $treets

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:53 AM

GTA V is smoother, but it doesn't feel as technical. In GTA IV it takes a lot of practice to time counters and make them stick. Also the fact you can punched/kicked by multiple peds at the same time.
In GTA V they more or less stand back until it's their turn. The counters in GTA IV are better too IMO. The spinning back hand Niko uses makes him look like a boss.
They fixed the clunkyness from GTA IV, but nerfed the other aspects that make GTA IV better.
Another case of one step forward, two steps back.

by Allah this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:54 AM Edited by Xerukal, 28 July 2014 - 06:55 AM.

I have no idea why they didn't give each protagonist unique melee animations. YES, melee combat isn't as huge of a part of the game as driving or shooting is, but V is being constantly praised for its attention to detail. Very well deserved praise, as well. But couldn't they just get the actors to do a few sets of different animations? One for each protagonist? 

Michael is a movie guy, so maybe give him some boxing-like moves. He's also a veteran criminal, so it kind of makes sense that he picked up on boxing at some point in his life. 

Trevor was in the military at some point. Not infantry, no. Airforce, is that right? Well, it's as good of an excuse as any to give him some aggressive army moves. I like his headbutt animation. It seems rare, and only plays when you "1 hit KO" someone. Disappointing. 

Franklin was just a hustler his whole life. So him having the "brawler" style all 3 protagonists are currently utilizing would make the most sense. He doesn't really have any experience, or he hasn't been in the environments Michael or Trevor might have been in to pick up some moves from other people. 

• matajuegos01 likes this

Im2akillerfish
  • Im2akillerfish

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:49 PM Edited by Im2akillerfish, 28 July 2014 - 01:44 PM.

I remember in IV if you timed a punch correctly, you can knock them out in one hit. Then, unlike V, they are alive afterwards.

That was only in one mission and worked only once (without mods). EDIT: Unless you are talking about counter attacks. If so, ignore the first part of this post.

I'm just happy that V allows me to do a "Stun punch" when I want, and at the same time I can pick a fight like in IV. 

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

Well it wasn't that bad. People act as if V's combat system is the worst of all time..

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Episodes from San Liberty

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:02 PM Edited by B Dawg, 28 July 2014 - 06:02 PM.

SA is king, with 4 different fighting styles for one single protagonist (if you count the one you get at the beginning - Smack/Kick) and the regular three combo punches.

Also in IV, if you carry a Knife or Baseball Bat, dodging enemy attacks is much faster compared to the Fists (some enemies throw punches very quickly which requires you to move backwards and try to dodge it at the same time)

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:22 PM Edited by Cutter De Blanc, 28 July 2014 - 09:23 PM.

The "teleport to your opponent and kill them" attack just feels really cheap. Like they realised their melee combat sucks ass and there'd be practically no way to hit a fleeing opponent if you didn't suddenly turn into Icarus and fly twenty feet to punch them in the head.

I'll agree that the actual physics are better, which is why it's such a damn shame that the fights themselves have been watered down.

• Wavesittich likes this

D3ADSH0T
  • D3ADSH0T

witcher

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:30 PM

Since I'm using my knife, that is a weapon of course, then I stab with the R2 button(coz I'm using my weapon) Never had problems with it coz I know circle or X is for kicking.

RenThePyro
  • RenThePyro

I kept on walking

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

At least we can actually fist fight in GTA V, in Watch_Dogs all you get is some extending whacking stick thing.

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

Since I'm using my knife, that is a weapon of course, then I stab with the R2 button(coz I'm using my weapon) Never had problems with it coz I know circle or X is for kicking.

According to the controls they tell you in Complications circle shouldn't kick. That button is X. I still get kicks when I use R2 up close, but if they're fleeing R2 does the Jet Li teleport kill punch most of the time. Or he'll just swing at the air like an asshole, or end up punching someone else.

• D3ADSH0T likes this

bish0p2004
  • bish0p2004

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

I like the Melee Combat and animations for the most part (even the one hitter quitters), but I do wish it was a little more in depth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users