Does anyone actually hunt?

51 replies to this topic
SlugBug
  • SlugBug

Gusenburg Samurai

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

I was wondering, hunting was obviously a thing in sp, it's a strangers and freaks with a redneck named Cletus. (Ironic i know) Anyway, after you finish the first time hunting with him its a minigame. Does anyone actually hunt? Whether its for fun or just when your ridiculously bored. Just wanna know, do you hunt? 

AndrewDeSanta
  • AndrewDeSanta

Republitarian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

I've done it once or twice. Not enough incentive to do it really.

• fac316 likes this

Smesi.
  • Smesi.

Big sh*t-Eating Evil Grin

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

I only did it to increase Trev´s Stealth

dillono
  • dillono

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:41 AM Edited by dillono, 23 August 2014 - 10:13 PM.

How to hunt:

Step 1: Find a hunting spot

Step 2: Kill an animal

Step 3: Take picture

Step 4: Send picture to everyone on your contact list

Step 5: Sit back and enjoy their angry/confused/funny/non-canon texts.

• PreciousWall, ddyoung, AndrewDeSanta and 5 others like this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

I assume this is one activity that will get a huge boost in PC/PS4/XO versions, you know, rather than wandering around flat hills with the freeway in the background shooting the odd animal that appears.

Still, nothing will ever capture the intensity and excitement of OMG IT'S A f*ckING BEAR KILL IT KILL IT, in the snowy areas of Tall Trees in Red Dead Redemption, followed shortly by OMG f*ck ANOTHER BEAR WHERE ARE THEY COMING FROM, with the ever classic, What a nice Desert I'm walking around-IS THAT A COUGAR? *DEAD* coming in third.
  • Choco Taco, theNGclan, TJGM and 11 others like this

SlugBug
  • SlugBug

Gusenburg Samurai

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:50 AM Edited by SlugBug, 27 July 2014 - 09:52 AM.

I assume this is one activity that will get a huge boost in PC/PS4/XO versions, you know, rather than wandering around flat hills with the freeway in the background shooting the odd animal that appears.

I hear alot now that there is gonna be a more diverse set of animals in Next Gen/Pc version which makes sense

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Player hater or hater player, or what?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

Hunting is not as fun as it was in RDR. We can all agree with that. in RDR by its time, hunting was something alot of people did back then. It was also a fun aspect with the good old western style.

But with GTA V, its not as bad. I don't do it, but I will proabably start doing it later on. Animals in V aren't that great either.

Like a poster said: I think its gunna be better in NG and PC version.

sparky66
  • sparky66

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

Played the strangers and freaks missions, did the hunting minigame a couple times then got bored of it. It doesn't help that the only place you can start it is right next to the freeway. Why can't you drive the RV somewhere different and hunt there? Hunting could be good in MP though. Next gen is probably going to have animals in MP so they could add it. You could have a group of players, either team or free for all, whoever kills the most animals wins, with different amounts of points given for different animal types. There could be an option to enable or disable killing other players. It would give you something to shoot other than players or cops.

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

I have done it once or twice. Quite boring to be honest. No fun hunting something that cannot kill you. It is always those deers,bushpigs and harmless coyotes. If rockstar had put a proper, big forest, and had proper wildlife like bears, then that would make hunting quite fun. You need to have an equal chance of being either the hunter or the hunted.
  • Cutter De Blanc, _Kindled_ and dreadluxx like this

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

*blows up cars with RPG*

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

I used to play the hunting minigame a lot back when the game was released. Then it slowly stopped being fun.

EpicPonyMuffins
  • EpicPonyMuffins

No i'm not a Hipster! Hipsters are too Mainstream!

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

I played it once or twice

just to see what the contacts in T's Phone would say.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

Hunting literally has no point in GTA V. In RDR it did because of its setting and you could sell the pelts. Even as a source of income it's tedious and time wasting.

I know GTA V isn't RDR, but I was hoping for something at least on a similar level.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:06 AM Edited by Xerukal, 27 July 2014 - 11:07 AM.

Hunting literally has no point in GTA V. In RDR it did because of its setting and you could sell the pelts. Even as a source of income it's tedious and time wasting.

I know GTA V isn't RDR, but I was hoping for something at least on a similar level.

Mhm. Trevor making stuff out of various pelts and skins would've been nice, at least. Similar to the crafting system in Assassin's Creed III and IV. Getting pelts and items of all kinds would allow you to craft new outfits, pouches and other useful items. I know V isn't one to have such a crafting system, since we're in the modern day after all. But something that's at least bare-bones would have been great.

With the limited amount of animals to hunt on LG, no. I only did it once as the mandatory Strangers & Freaks encounter. That's it. I look forward to doing way more of it on the PC version, due to the improved detail and hopefully the addition of more animals to hunt. 

Hunting, like Yoga, could have benefited from being a friend activity. This would add some purpose to it, like giving you unique conversations and background on the characters. Just like regular conversations when you pick up other protagonists to hang out, except something appropriate to the activity. Like Michael talking about hunting when he was younger or something (flimsy example). 

LeopardGecko
  • LeopardGecko

GTA biker

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:06 AM Edited by LeopardGecko, 27 July 2014 - 11:08 AM.

I´ve tried it a few times.It´s kind of fun walking around the forest looking for animals to hunt and avoiding cougars,but it´s not much of a challenge since I can just spray animals with machine guns,that makes it too easy to kill a target animal and to defend myself from cougars.Also,they should have make the player hunt some specific animal,not just kill anything you see and send photo to Cletus for reward.I could try to hunt armed only with a musket to make it more challenging.

alex3
  • alex3

\m/ o_o \m/

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

I'll be hunting more when the nature is upgraded in the NG version.

Alvarez
  • Alvarez

Soldier

• Members

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:15 AM Edited by Alvarez, 27 July 2014 - 11:17 AM.

- Sir! A unknown person just stole a tank from the base perimeter!
- Ahh, that must be cousin Cletus hunting.
- Sir?
- As you are, private.
- But sir, he STOLE A TANK!
- PRIVATE! IF COUSIN CLETUS NEED A TANK TO HUNT A ELK, HE WILL RECEIVE IT!

This is what it used to be before we got the Musketon.

SlugBug
  • SlugBug

Gusenburg Samurai

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:32 AM Edited by SlugBug, 27 July 2014 - 12:20 PM.

That would be cool if they added bears in next gen, but that might be controversial cause of rdr.

morgan 5301
  • morgan 5301

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

I hunted once and got gold although I only done it for 100 completion I would hunt more if you could skin the animals like on red dead and sell them for money

IntoGloryRide
  • IntoGloryRide

Warmonger

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

^You don't need hunting for 100%.

Along with yoga, this was probably my least favorite activity. I did it a couple of times after the Cletus mission and couldn't be bothered with it again.

Elvis_Mazur
  • Elvis_Mazur

Nothing Inspiring to Write

• Members

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

I did it once because I was curious, but never tried it again. No incentives whatsoever.

J-B
  • J-B

Two Faced

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

Problem I have with it is from an immersion stand point. When I hunted as John Marston, I felt like a rugged frontiersman, but when I hunt as Trevor, I feel like Cletus' little bitch.

And hunting should be a dynamic activity, not one I have to start and stop in such a rigid way.

Anyway, f*ck Cletus and his stupid f*cking face.

• HoleInTheSky and Cutter De Blanc like this

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:54 PM Edited by killahmatic, 27 July 2014 - 05:05 PM.

I was wondering, hunting was obviously a thing in sp, it's a strangers and freaks with a redneck named Cletus. (Ironic i know) Anyway, after you finish the first time hunting with him its a minigame. Does anyone actually hunt? Whether its for fun or just when your ridiculously bored. Just wanna know, do you hunt? 

I only did to get 100%. Haven't since.

Its not rewarding the way it was in RDR, partly because its nothing like the way it was in RDR. You didn't have to start a hunting mini game at a specific location, you just hunt when you want to. Plus the money you get from hunting on RDR is usually useful in buying more ammo, though I specifically spent all my money so hunting would be more important on that game. 

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

I only did it once.  The hunting area is so small and since it's right next to a highway, it doesn't feel like hunting.  It feels like shooting animals on a farm.

• WhatsStrength likes this

Voggens
  • Voggens

Wow

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

Only did it like one or two times, I didn't saved either. I don't like killing animals in games and I kindly refuse when my cousin offers me to go hunting rabbits in real life, so this hunting thing doesn't interest me in the slightest...

• Jimbatron likes this

minifat
  • minifat

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

There's nowhere to even hunt. The forest is the smallest thing. Too bad we didn't get any woods the size of RDR or SA. They need to cut out some of the countryside / mountains.

Deus Ex
  • Deus Ex

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:36 PM

I used to hunt in past, but i got bored eventually...

Last time i just got a tank and started running them over. 

Awesom-0
  • Awesom-0

Happy 1st anniversary without heists!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:38 PM

Does running over every animal in sight with my car count as hunting?

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

Forum Leader

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Nations
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:39 PM

This is the only sort of hunt that interests me: http://gtaforums.com...n/?p=1065872139

:sly:

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Gangsta Bunny

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:43 AM Edited by Cutter De Blanc, 28 July 2014 - 09:44 AM.

I've honestly never done it outside the mission.

I do sometimes shoot at deer and birds and sh*t just for the hell of it though. 

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

I'd use it more if there were more reason to hunt, or more reward. Or if there were more than a handful of animals to hunt.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users