Quantcast

» «
Photo

Was GTA 5 actually a new-gen game from the start?

37 replies to this topic
Alvarez
  • Alvarez

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

I somewhat have a suspicion that GTA 5 was originally built for the high-end systems anticipated in 2014, but was downscaled in features and graphics for PS3 and XBOX360 to start selling.

Why do i think this way? It's more easier to scale down the done features, than to develop new ones from the scratch or low-poly template.

This would also save a lot of work.

Before the official release, Rockstar was less bound by deadlines, than to this fall, so i guess they plan to say something like "you ain't seen nothing yet" to excite the crowd again and push up the sales.

This strategy they seem to follow, when they hadn't introduce vehicles and features from the start of GTAO, only to introduce them later bit by bit in the updates.

What i'm trying to say, that Rockstar could done much more work before the release, than we saw in GTA 5 and all this we're bound to see in the PC version.

I'm looking forward to it.

• _Kindled_ likes this

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

Yes. Most of us already thought that.
  • KingGTAV, _Kindled_, FANTOMTRON and 5 others like this

Fuszion
  • Fuszion

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

I think that's a good theory!

Geeteeaifive
  • Geeteeaifive

Andrew

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

It makes perfect sense. It was nice of rockstar to release gta v on those consoles, hopefully for the last time. Give high end some love.

• Craptasticjack likes this

jdwarfer
  • jdwarfer

Soldier

• Members
  • France

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

Of course they planned to release it on PS4 and Xboxone quite early. They knew it even when they told nothing about it, on purpose.

Not so sure about PC tho. I think they always have a doubt about it, but, you know... it's like they hear money calling them. "oooooh, come get me ! come get me !". Like sirens. They can't help it.

• FANTOMTRON likes this

Aleph-Zero
  • Aleph-Zero

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

Pretty much. I can't see how their most "ambitious" game can be conceived on the death bed of 9 year old platforms.

• MilezDawg and Xerukal like this

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:24 AM Edited by NYC PATROL, 27 July 2014 - 03:25 AM.

I'm sure they had the idea in their heads when they started but V was always running on PS3 for all the trailers. A beefed up PS3 version (First trailer in particular) at that. They had to cut back on some effects.

What I've read from various forum members the PC version supposedly started sometime in 2012. Then the PS4/XB1 versions in very early 2013.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:51 AM Edited by Xerukal, 16 August 2014 - 04:53 PM.

Definitely. Rockstar knew full well the limitations of the last generation. They weren't going to build their game around them. Though they most likely kept it in mind throughout development, I would say that PC and NG versions were always a priority in terms of technical advancement. But of course, last-gen sold much better than expected, so...

• CriticalCrox likes this

punkboy459
  • punkboy459

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:40 AM

Rockstar technically gave us a Beta testing phase. So... pretty much $60 sh*t beta test game  :r*:

• milkmansun likes this

GTAgameslover
  • GTAgameslover

Hit-64-bit

• Members
  • India

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:59 AM

first thig rockstar should consult from some gamers form every country what they want in game or they should consult their own members who are gamers!

alex3
  • alex3

\m/ o_o \m/

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:04 PM Edited by alex3, 27 July 2014 - 12:04 PM.

I always thought it looked downgraded on xbox360. Still a beautiful game though.
One thing I always notice right after the prologue, is that even something simple as the GTAV logo looks downgraded.

utack
  • utack

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

One thing I always notice right after the prologue, is that even something simple as the GTAV logo looks downgraded.

Well the output is 720p. You can't just switch to 1080p for a second when the logo is displayed.

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

PC Gamer at heart

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

I've been saying that for far too long to even remember when I first said it.

• Deji likes this

teamfranklin91
  • teamfranklin91

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

Yay! More people to kill

Andreas
  • Andreas

• V Staff
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:35 PM Edited by Andreas, 27 July 2014 - 04:36 PM.

It's obvious that V was developed with the next-gen consoles in mind for a long time. The build logs suggest that the PC version has been in the works since at least early-to-middle 2012, and 'Orbis' is mentioned in the game files, which happens to be the OS of the PlayStation 4.

I'd imagine that when developers are done with the raw assets of their project, they start to work on the platforms their game is supposed to release for. In which case the aforementioned assets are downscaled to a quality each given platform is capable of. Since PC happens to be the platform with the most power, games also have higher resolution textures, higher poly models and higher quality audio files [and probably cut-scenes] on it compared to their console counterparts. PS4 and Xbox One's architectures are basically the same as the PC, so porting games from the latter is fairly easy. The only major difference between those platforms is the way the system and video RAM are utilized, the different Operating Systems and the different APIs. But other than that, it is easy to work with them and it's easy to port assets between each of them.

Personally, I found a next-gen release rather unlikely about a year ago or two. However, given the huge success of the PS4 and Xbone it was kind of obvious that Rockstar wouldn't want to miss out the opportunity and release GTAV for those platforms. Who knows, maybe Microsoft and Sony had expected their new consoles to be as successful as they turned out to be, which would explain why R* started to work on the PS4 version over a year ago. Or maybe they knew that a next-gen release would be profitable either way, since it is GTA. Just take a look at GTA IV, the game was released in 2008 when about four to five times less PS360's were on the market compared to now, and it sold in six years almost as much as San Andreas did in ten years, which, in turn, was released at the end of the console generation.

The series is becoming more popular with each new release, and they made so much money with V on the PS3 and Xbox 360 that there is practically nothing that could hurt them financially, at this point.
  • NYC PATROL, Mr. Jago, _Kindled_ and 5 others like this

Harley325
  • Harley325

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

GTA 5 hopefully we see better geometry and not just textures.

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

I personally think more likely than not that V was originally being created for 360 and ps3, and along the way they started working on it with the next gen in mind. 

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:44 PM Edited by Staten, 27 July 2014 - 04:46 PM.

I think GTA V was a xbox/ps3 game from the beginning, but development was forked at some point, perhaps at the same time that Online was.  So, at one point, there were three seperate V's in development, all the parallel, and all with seperate teams.

DutchVeteran
  • DutchVeteran

Gave in on 30-01-2015, But still gonna buy the PC version!

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

It even reached a point in which people (and myself too) were thinking that the current xbox360 and ps3 versions are ports from the the NG and PC versions of the game, which were developed side-by-side eventually, but the main game was supposed to be for PC and the NG titles. And those are the main platforms for the game. Why? Well look at the statement from R* that they allow all players to transfer GTA-Online progress. What that actually means is that they want to start the transitioning-phase for the LG. Their is obviously more possible on NG than LG in terms of content for both GTA-O as the story mode of GTA V so what that means to people is that they will start to focus more and more on NG and PC and less on LG. The heist-DLC delayal is an argument that supports this theory.

• lazloisdavrock and Harley325 like this

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

Actually if you compare the very first trailer of GTA V with the windmills you would've known that it was actually already on Next Gen/PC

• The Algerian likes this

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:37 PM

I think what happened was all 5 were developed side by side, however the NG and PC titles weren't ready for September, and Take Two was pushing them to release something, and so we got the 360 and PS3 versions so Rockstar would get the money to finish up the NG and PC titles. 

Alvarez
  • Alvarez

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

Actually if you compare the very first trailer of GTA V with the windmills you would've known that it was actually already on Next Gen/PC

Come to that, the original promotional Screenshots might actually show the upcoming graphics. More trees, saturated floor textures, maybe more detailed world.

lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

Come to that, the original promotional Screenshots might actually show the upcoming graphics. More trees, saturated floor textures, maybe more detailed world.

pretty much

LDATRm0.jpg

• Ulysses182, _Kindled_ and Alvarez like this

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:00 PM

I was wondering, can anyone list the differences in the LG and CG versions of Watch Dogs? And maybe some pictures? That'll give me a good perspective.

• Smaher. likes this

Snorlax
  • Snorlax

Thug

• Members
  • Armenia

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:50 PM Edited by Snorlax, 28 July 2014 - 11:07 PM.

I somewhat have a suspicion that GTA 5 was originally built for the high-end systems anticipated in 2014, but was downscaled in features and graphics for PS3 and XBOX360 to start selling.

Why do i think this way? It's more easier to scale down the done features, than to develop new ones from the scratch or low-poly template.

This would also save a lot of work.

Before the official release, Rockstar was less bound by deadlines, than to this fall, so i guess they plan to say something like "you ain't seen nothing yet" to excite the crowd again and push up the sales.

This strategy they seem to follow, when they hadn't introduce vehicles and features from the start of GTAO, only to introduce them later bit by bit in the updates.

What i'm trying to say, that Rockstar could done much more work before the release, than we saw in GTA 5 and all this we're bound to see in the PC version.

I'm looking forward to it.

i don't think the game was originally destined ro planned to be a "next-gen" game from the start as there are leaked rockstar/take-two release schedule catalogs/docs that placed GTA V's estimated original release date in 2010 (see S1LV3R W0LFS PC evidence list),  but their PC version was most definitely developed with PC in mind from the get-go.

the "next-gen" console version idea most likely came into discussions around 2011 or 2012 but didn't come into frution until the PC version was finished, which appears taken place some time in late 2013 or earlier, that's when they began porting the PC version to the PS4/XB1.

so no, any footage from the 2011 trailer was most likely from the PC or a highly controlled PS3/360 dev-kit production.

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

PC Gamer at heart

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:20 AM

What you said makes sense, but let me show you another perspective that could be closer to what really happened.

I remember reading a few articles which I can't no longer find, where both SONY and M$ said that the extra payment for exclusivity on GTA IV wasn't worth it and they didn't get what they wanted with it, and that was sell new consoles. They wanted the exclusive because they thought people would buy their consoles just for the game, reason why PC version ended up being what we know and just a refurbished game from what consoles got, they didn't use much time to make it an actual PC game.

Now what could have happened was that R* knew that what where the plans from both SONY and M$ for their new consoles and how long they would take to be available. So Max Payne 3 was created in a different way, not only to solve the past issues of GTAIV PC, but also to get the RAGE engine ready for the future architecture of gaming (known as NG), which basically would be the same as the high end tech from PC's back then. So with this in mind and after the success they had in technical terms with MP3, they knew what path to follow in order to do it right for the PC platform, but also by doing that they could make a shortcut for the same game when the new consoles arrived.

So my guess is that the game was started to be developed on PC, with all the extra things it could have (first bug list error mentioned 2012, which means that the game had to be very advanced in order to be in beta testing, which could mean it was started in early 2010/ 2011 which means that the first footage we saw from the first trailer, along some of the screenshots were actually the PC version with lower resolution and graphics... but the assets were different.

I said this plenty of times but I'll say it again, one of the most obvious things is that we first saw a lot of things that didn't end up in the final version, in particular the vegetation and very detailed tree models, which in the LG version ended up not being there and to be the same models over and over. Now, they said that was for artistic reasons and that they decided those places before presented with grass, trees, plants ... didn't look good for them.

But now in just a few seconds of teaser trailer we see those coming back, which means the fact that those weren't in the game wasn't because of artistic reasons but a technical decision which is understandable in terms of the old hardware available.

So what R* did was mostly the same all the other companies have done lately with crossovers from one generation to another, and created a PC version as lead platform and then shrunk it till it was playable in LG. the only difference is that they denied it since day one, and there was even people saying that Rockstar clearly stated that NG was out of question and that there would be another title, when in fact what they've done since 2011 was promote the game that will be released now that could do for SONY and M$ what GTA IV was supposed to do for PS3 and XB360.

This is what i think and what I used to support it sounds reasonable, but I'm sure we'll be able to confirm it once we have the game in out hand. This time R* did the opposite and the right thing. Instead of creating a lower quality version and then enhance it, they created a high quality version and then reduced it.
  • Snorlax likes this

Snorlax
  • Snorlax

Thug

• Members
  • Armenia

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:38 AM Edited by Snorlax, 29 July 2014 - 12:39 AM.

i still remember the days when people said rockstar would never bring the game to ps4/xb1 because it didn't make any "sense" to do so....lol. and the console people who actually believed it wasn't coming to PC, when all this time, the most pristine version was being created on PC and for PC and they actually receieved lesser, stripped down versions of it.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:44 AM

Not really:

V-7-1280.jpg

AzelfandQuilava
  • AzelfandQuilava

Uh, hello? Hello, hello..?

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:19 AM

Considering how quickly this next-gen version has announced (Just under 1 year? Really R*?), I'd say it was their plan from the start.

VCR
  • VCR

plus+

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:01 AM

I've thought the same thing from the very beginning. felt like I was playing something that was in need of more power. just looking at the textures gave us all a clue

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users