Photo

Fixing the death vs arrest scenario

61 replies to this topic
Camsterguy
  • Camsterguy

Emmett Brown

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:09 AM Edited by Camsterguy, 26 July 2014 - 02:13 AM.

I feel as if R* should've made getting arrested the better choice in comparison to letting the police kill you.

After the story is done, a death costs $5,000. No strings attached. An arrest costs $300 but then you spend like $250k getting all your ammo back and also wasting like 5 minutes to drive to a gun shop.

A good system would be keeping your ammo when you get busted, but having the hospital staff confiscate your weapons or beefing up the cost. This would make a smart player give themselves up to the law instead of getting killed. In real life most criminals usually would give up before dying a shootout.

However, in the 3D era you were much more likely to get arrested (cops were amazing at running up to your door back then, sometimes with glitchy results).

What is stupidly unrealistic about the current system is that I (and everyone else) just let the cops shoot me or blow myself up as getting killed yields a lot better results than being arrested, but I see it as the opposite in real life :)

Also, I think it's pretty cool to pull over and watch the police arrest you. If you pull over, stop and wait, the police will stop shooting and bust you... even at four/five stars as long as the officer isn't a SWAT guy.

Thoughts?

• Choco Taco and DIEXEL like this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:16 AM

''Oh hey that guy killed 32 of our officers with rocket launchers and grenades, we should probably give him his ammo back after he's been detained''

• visionist, _Douglas_, burnzy187 and 8 others like this

Camsterguy
  • Camsterguy

Emmett Brown

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:19 AM Edited by Camsterguy, 26 July 2014 - 02:25 AM.

''Oh hey that guy killed 32 of our officers with rocket launchers and grenades, we should probably give him his ammo back after he's been detained''

Good point, haha, but:

"Oh hey that psychopath just killed 32 police officers, 79 fat black women and shot down 2 blimps, we should probably let him keep his weapons"

-Hospital Staff

See my other point though? Usually in real life a criminal gives up and doesn't go out guns blazing and die.

Either that or the police make him give up before shooting him.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Videospiele sind meine Lieblings Videospiele.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:26 AM

It's hard to get arrested though, seeing as the cops in both IV and V are both shoot to kill. It was crazy easy in the III era, seeing as you could just park your car right next to them.

• G.S.T, Osho, OneManCrimeWave and 2 others like this

Camsterguy
  • Camsterguy

Emmett Brown

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:27 AM

If you pull over, stop and wait, the police will stop shooting and bust you... even at four/five stars as long as the officer isn't a SWAT guy.

• visionist likes this

WSBPT
  • WSBPT

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:29 AM

sh*t bro.. i gotta try this out. Its stupid how they just constantly shootin.. they jus need to slow down and arrest a motherf*cker for once

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Videospiele sind meine Lieblings Videospiele.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:29 AM

If you pull over, stop and wait, the police will stop shooting and bust you... even at four/five stars as long as the officer isn't a SWAT guy.

Yes, you just said that. So I guess it's easier to get killed than arrested, unless they added an option to surrender.

WSBPT
  • WSBPT

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:31 AM

what they need to do is add a feature where if you run.. you dont instantly get 2 stars.. i think they should only start bussin at 3 stars.. with 2 stars they just a bit violent.. like beatin or whatever

• visionist, Rerxelend, Choco Taco and 4 others like this

lucy12345
  • lucy12345

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:34 AM

It's really hard to get arrested in HD era. I finished all the games in it so far without one arrest.

• yakprince likes this

Dillono
  • Dillono

Tell me, do you bleed?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:34 AM

Yes, you just said that. So I guess it's easier to get killed than arrested, unless they added an option to surrender.

If they add a surrender button, I also want to go out like John McClane in Die Hard, and pull out a pistol at the last minute before they arrest me. sh*t, RDR implemented it, so why not GTA?

• WSBPT likes this

WSBPT
  • WSBPT

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:36 AM

If they add a surrender button, I also want to go out like John McClane in Die Hard, and pull out a pistol at the last minute before they arrest me. sh*t, RDR implemented it, so why not GTA?

damn straight! i think if you get arrested too when you get out you should be changed.. into like a beater and some pants or whatever as if you just been locked up for a bit

Skeever
  • Skeever

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:52 AM

Them taking your weapons would still cost you well over the $5,000 mark, and although it'd be a little better on our characters' wallets, it wouldn't be a very worthwhile change in the end.

How about they simply let you keep your guns and ammunition after you get arrested? Or maybe you can retrieve them from that one police station's armory (the one with the impound) after a certain amount of time? I know, it's not realistic, but at the moment, getting arrested is the worst possible thing that can happen to you during a police chase, since you have to spend a fortune on ammo costs afterwards. That shouldn't be the case.

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:58 AM

I tried this so many times and it doesn't f*cking work.

They should make that if you get arrested you lose all your weapons and ammo but if you pay a small fee (like in VCS)  you can  get your weapons and ammo again, but if you end up wasted you lose all of them without chance of recovering them

BlueJayFitted
  • BlueJayFitted

YTC

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:59 AM

bein arrested like they showed in screenshots would of been alot more realistic.. instead of the fuccin swat for lookin at a cop the wrong way

bein arrested like they showed in screenshots would of been alot more realistic.. instead of the fuccin swat for lookin at a cop the wrong way

Camsterguy
  • Camsterguy

Emmett Brown

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:06 AM

I tried this so many times and it doesn't f*cking work.

They should make that if you get arrested you lose all your weapons and ammo but if you pay a small fee (like in VCS)  you can  get your weapons and ammo again, but if you end up wasted you lose all of them without chance of recovering them

Get like a 2 star and make sure you have full health so you don't die (even though I always live with half health). Remain completely stopped in your car and never move and they will come and arrest you while you're sitting in the car

TheTechPoTaToCHIP
  • TheTechPoTaToCHIP

Tech Knight

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:28 AM

I guess making the player think that being arrested is a better option is more realistic but let's face it, arrest is out of the question past one star as cops will endlessly shoot you on foot and rarely try to open your door when in a vehecle so it's almost impossible to be busted (I played this game since release and I NEVER got busted, the only time I did, didn't count because I got busted on propose just to see what happens) so basically I think the current system is good enough. And let's be honest, even though most real life criminals would rather get arrested. GTA is based more on how criminals act in movies (you'll never take me alive!) So getting busted would just be embarrassing for anyone who plays this game.
  • G.S.T likes this

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:29 AM

I've never been arrested in V and cost of weapons wouldn't change that. I'll die before they catch me! 

actually though, I didn't even realize arrest was still an option. I used to get busted so much in the III-era days, and now it never happens. 

• G.S.T, fac316 and adictoGTA like this

oCrapaCreeper
  • oCrapaCreeper

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:15 AM Edited by oCrapaCreeper, 26 July 2014 - 09:16 AM.

I remember the days in III where you would try to steal a police car, cop would open the door on you, and you instantly fall on the ground and get busted.

Don't think I've ever been busted in IV or V. I've only done it once on purpose to see what the penalty actually was. I'm not really sure what's different in the HD era games, I remember getting busted all the time in the III era. I guess there's less silly stuff that happens like a cop opening your door and busting you while you were driving, which I remember happening all the time in Vice City.

lucy12345
  • lucy12345

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

Maybe the penalty for getting arrested should be different depending on how many stars you're at/how many cops you've killed. For example, at 1 star, you wouldn't lose any weapons. At 5/6 stars you would lose them all and have to pay large fee to get them back.

Trevorphilipjfry
  • Trevorphilipjfry

Sandy Shores surfer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

Maybe the penalty for getting arrested should be different depending on how many stars you're at/how many cops you've killed. For example, at 1 star, you wouldn't lose any weapons. At 5/6 stars you would lose them all and have to pay large fee to get them back.

That's actually a good idea, but the thing is past 1/2 star, they don't even try to detain you.

But TBF in real life, if there was a massively armed criminal posing such a threat, theyd shoot to kill too.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

You better watch yourself

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

Maybe they should bring back the III era feature of losing your weapons/ammo upon death.

Ben73
  • Ben73

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

Yeah well if you killed 32 cops you would spend your life in jail, not 8 hours.

• Donut and adictoGTA like this

WasHanin
  • WasHanin

eating on beef stoo

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

Never fails. Lifeless (insert game title) fanboys coming out of the woodwork, craving blood at any hint or mention of changing something in the game. No matter how much it would make things better.

What's next, justification of the garages that are vehicle black holes? Seriously.
"oH no dnt change a thng, meh so hardkore."

Not just this topic specifically, but (see sig) just putting it out there.

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Checklister

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

Hmm.... You are right, but 1 thing: You rarely get arrested in V :/

Mr. Tibbs
  • Mr. Tibbs

I feel 10 feet tall right now, and as strong as an ox

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

I feel as if R* should've made getting arrested the better choice in comparison to letting the police kill you.

After the story is done, a death costs $5,000. No strings attached. An arrest costs $300 but then you spend like $250k getting all your ammo back and also wasting like 5 minutes to drive to a gun shop.

A good system would be keeping your ammo when you get busted, but having the hospital staff confiscate your weapons or beefing up the cost. This would make a smart player give themselves up to the law instead of getting killed. In real life most criminals usually would give up before dying a shootout.

However, in the 3D era you were much more likely to get arrested (cops were amazing at running up to your door back then, sometimes with glitchy results).

What is stupidly unrealistic about the current system is that I (and everyone else) just let the cops shoot me or blow myself up as getting killed yields a lot better results than being arrested, but I see it as the opposite in real life :)

Also, I think it's pretty cool to pull over and watch the police arrest you. If you pull over, stop and wait, the police will stop shooting and bust you... even at four/five stars as long as the officer isn't a SWAT guy.

Thoughts?

Bribery, like in Mafia 2. Pay something like $1000 and you get to go free.

Sofa
  • Sofa

innocent bystander

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:05 PM Edited by Sofa, 26 July 2014 - 04:21 PM.

Yes, i agree it's tilted, not only that, penalty for dying is negligible, so i started imposing a zero tolerance with dying(self-flagellate, maintain challenge), get killed=game over->reload last save(rdr had this iirc).

Getting busted never happened to me, i didn't even see it until recently last week when a guest was playing that has a different way of panicking than me. Friend would freeze with controller, not moving or pressing anything, wondering what to do before getting arrested. Me? I run around jumping in a circle while firing wildy at everything like a crazed idiot, or rev the engine while flipping the bird, before getting blasted.

Even though i am set in seeing death in game as final, wouldn't mind upping the penalty, i might stop reloading. In missions, there isn't any penalty for dying at all, or even failing(!). One could argue it's actually rewarded with the option to skip, i don't care though, i self-regulate.

Never fails. Lifeless (insert game title) fanboys coming out of the woodwork, craving blood *RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE*

We reading the same thread? You allright there mate? Need a hug or something?

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

Getting arrested should mean you lose weapons and pay a fine.

Getting killed means you should lose weapons, have to pay more money, and have a bruised face as well as a few temporary effects like reduced weapon accuracy, running speed etc.

only n00bs die anyway so i don't care.

WasHanin
  • WasHanin

eating on beef stoo

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:19 PM Edited by WasHanin, 26 July 2014 - 07:22 PM.

so i started imposing a zero tolerance with dying(self-flagellate, maintain challenge), get killed=game over->reload last save

Clap clap. You sir, beez hardcare.

What I do, when I die, is punch myself hard in the face. Provides a better game experience.

PlasmicSnake
  • PlasmicSnake

Negative Astro Creep

• Members

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

They should have a seperate mode where you get a perma death if you die or if you get arrested you go to the jail and have to find a way to break out...Obviously that would only be fun the first 2 times than it would just get annoying.

WasHanin
  • WasHanin

eating on beef stoo

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

Skyrim has a "jail" system. Pretty much optional though. its the only game I've played that has a jail for an actual possible penalty. (A non linear, not required for any missions, jail.)
  • Sofa likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users