Quantcast

» «
Photo

do you think that switching will be faster?

53 replies to this topic
Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=N-xHcvug3WI

Skip to 2:10, you will see how fast the character switch is compared to how it is on PS3/Xbox360.. I hope hte NG and PC version has it this way

Is this really going to be SSD-level, though? It seems pretty f*cking fast. 

I mean, I wouldn't know. Never had a chance to use an SSD. I want to get one just for V.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:10 AM

They need to fix the initial loading session when you boot up the game before anything else. It takes like two minutes before you can finally play. I personally didn't mind the loading for character switching, I thought it was decently-quick.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

They need to fix the initial loading session when you boot up the game before anything else. It takes like two minutes before you can finally play. 

That's console limitations for ya. Should be "fixed" by just owning the game on a faster HDD. 

I mean, I have a really sh*tty HDD from 2006 and it loads IV/EFLC pretty damn fast on initial start-up. And IV's port was, as we all know, pretty dreadful. 

The loading times should be fine either way. 

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Player hater or hater player, or what?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:22 AM Edited by Phoenix_Shit, 26 July 2014 - 07:25 AM.

https://www.youtube....h?v=N-xHcvug3WI

Skip to 2:10, you will see how fast the character switch is compared to how it is on PS3/Xbox360.. I hope hte NG and PC version has it this way

Is this really going to be SSD-level, though? It seems pretty f*cking fast. 

I mean, I wouldn't know. Never had a chance to use an SSD. I want to get one just for V.

Solid state drive, solid state drives everywhere.

Well yeah it has too, although the NG consoles dont use SSD, its a 500 gig harddrive. If you switch to a 2 or even 3 TB SSD, it will go much faster. I am using a 250gb hard drive on my PS3 now, and the switching takes about 10 to 15 seconds. 

oCrapaCreeper
  • oCrapaCreeper

Hustler

• Members

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:59 AM Edited by oCrapaCreeper, 26 July 2014 - 09:07 AM.

With an SSD you can get switch times almost exactly like the gameplay trailer. Obviously on next gen, and PC especially it will be faster.

It's likely the gameplay trailer was running on an SSD PS3 (To load things as fast as possible for presentation) alongside pre-made switch scenarios.

They need to fix the initial loading session when you boot up the game before anything else. It takes like two minutes before you can finally play. I personally didn't mind the loading for character switching, I thought it was decently-quick.

I don't think the initial loading screen is a big deal. It's literally the only loading screen you see in the game aside from switching.

Mr. Tibbs
  • Mr. Tibbs

Liberal Hater

• Members
  • Cayman-Islands

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

No, and saying it will is nonsense. "next gen" doesn't automatically mean "TURBO GRAFFIX POWAAAAAAAR"

You guys are as ridiculous as the Sega Genesis fanboys arguing about "blast processing" even though you don't even know what it means.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

No, and saying it will is nonsense. "next gen" doesn't automatically mean "TURBO GRAFFIX POWAAAAAAAR"

You guys are as ridiculous as the Sega Genesis fanboys arguing about "blast processing" even though you don't even know what it means.

The f*ck do you mean no? It's pretty basic. Faster drives, faster loading times. It's not rocket science. It works with the last-gen versions by just getting a faster HDD, It'll work with next-gen and PC versions the same way. Obviously even better, due to general improvements to hardware. 

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Player hater or hater player, or what?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

and who are you if I may ask? You are randomly calling people in this thread ridiculous?

Look this is not a speculation thread, we are talking about facts. Turbo gaffic power?? Wtf

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

That's console limitations for ya. Should be "fixed" by just owning the game on a faster HDD. 

I mean, I have a really sh*tty HDD from 2006 and it loads IV/EFLC pretty damn fast on initial start-up. And IV's port was, as we all know, pretty dreadful. 

The loading times should be fine either way.

Not really a console limitation if it can be fixed ;) Technically, this will be an issue for people on Laptops as they use the same drive speed as the consoles, so keep that in mind Laptop Gamers. ;)

The problem with GTAV loading on consoles now is that once it loads the inital data, in then checks through all the patches before loading into the game, which, we already have 14 Patches ranging from 70 to 120MB in size, so on a slow drive, that's just adding more junk on top of loading, even though the later patches contain the same files just updated, so THAT initial process should be streamlined on PC and PS4/XBO versions because the initial load should already have the most up to date versions.
  • Cutter De Blanc likes this

Kampret
  • Kampret

Glorious Multiplatform Gaming Race

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:55 AM

This is PS3 on SSD

skip to 51:20 to see the character switching.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:59 AM

Damn. That's amazing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't RAM also have a lot to do with loading? Like, the amount of information stored on it. This will also factor into loading on the next-gen and PC versions, correct?

CheatingSoi
  • CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:19 AM Edited by CheatingSoi, 27 July 2014 - 06:19 AM.

Damn. That's amazing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't RAM also have a lot to do with loading? Like, the amount of information stored on it. This will also factor into loading on the next-gen and PC versions, correct?

Not necessarily. RAM is temporary storage used by the game for quicker access, on the fly. The files must still be loaded into the RAM from your HDD. So loading is still mostly relying on the speed of your HDD.

• Kampret likes this

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:16 AM

With an SSD you can get switch times almost exactly like the gameplay trailer. Obviously on next gen, and PC especially it will be faster.

It's likely the gameplay trailer was running on an SSD PS3 (To load things as fast as possible for presentation) alongside pre-made switch scenarios.

If it can be that fast on a sh*tty PS3 with a slow processor and a SATA 1 bridge, then imagine on a 500MB/sec Samsung drive and a heavily overclocked processor pushing bandwidth through a SATA 3 bridge. It's going to be biblical.

• Xerukal and Kampret like this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

If it can be that fast on a sh*tty PS3 with a slow processor and a SATA 1 bridge, then imagine on a 500MB/sec Samsung drive and a heavily overclocked processor pushing bandwidth through a SATA 3 bridge. It's going to be biblical.

> Implying CPU speed has anything to do with RAID/SATA Bridge Exchange Speeds

tumblr_lzzbivH74u1r50l47o1_500.jpg

On the subject though, YES, SSD does make a massive improvement to games with heavy load streaming, if it can make a difference on the PS3 with the old SATA1 bridge, then of course it's going to boost games on current gen consoles (Using SATA2) and of course PC (most motherboards now using up to SATA3) and yet we have people in the PC Building thread claiming that SSD is a luxury and not needed for a gaming PC, wake up, it's 2014, if you're building a PC now or within the next few months and you choose NOT to include at least one SSD, then you are making a mistake!

FromBrnoCity
  • FromBrnoCity

Don't call me guy, I have no peenus.I have nice new tits btw

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

I'd like to have some new scenarios of switching.

• Cutter De Blanc likes this

Nomad0202
  • Nomad0202

Bellicose Tyrant

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:27 PM Edited by Nomad0202, 28 July 2014 - 11:37 AM.

I have recently put a Sandisk SSD in my PS3. Character switching is fast. The initial load up time, has to my mind, also been reduced. This is interesting to me as I did not upgrade from a hdd but from flash storage, as I have the 12gb super slim model. Which was almost full following the series of patch/updates.
Addition: BTW the moments my console seems to excessively struggle with content is in online mode when exiting cars after entering the garage. I have a mix of original and update vehicles but at that moment I hear the Blue-ray working hard.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:47 PM Edited by DaRkL3AD3R, 27 July 2014 - 06:52 PM.

> Implying CPU speed has anything to do with RAID/SATA Bridge Exchange Speeds

Implying it doesn't:

http://hexus.net/tec...ck-thanks-ssds/

Despite our desire for raw performance figures, the system was fast, there's no denying that. Francois added that antivirus software is no longer hampered by the hard drive. In his demonstration, CPU utilisation hit 99 per cent on numerous occasions as the SSD sped through the virus scan with ease.

CPU speed plays a large role in random IOPS. Which is what happens when you are randomly streaming content off a drive. Having a slow processor, such as a low end AMD chip, WILL slow an SSD's performance down even if it's connected to a SATA 3 bridge. You better believe that. And the Cell processor in the PS3 is old, older than old. It's definitely a major part in limiting the SSD performance in the PS3. 

Edit: Also if you don't believe CPU has any impact on SSD performance, and you have a processor that is capable of downclocking when idle, go ahead and set the max frequency of your chip to it's low clocks. If my 3770k is sitting in it's low power state of 1.6Ghz, my SSD performance gets cut in half. Imagine the impact a low frequency would have on a sh*ttier chip?

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:26 AM

I seem to recall preview saying 'it can take up to 30 seconds if you switch to a character that's on the other side of the map, but it's much quicker when they're closer'.

I don't think there's anything misleading about that, that's accurate. 

But of course it will be a bit quicker. More powerful hardware, more memory, more space to load things into and retrieve... of course it will be quicker. Not that I have a problem with it, switching delay can be useful if you want to grab a sip of a drink, grab a toke or whatever you do to float your goat.

They made it seem faster in the gameplay trailer you fanboy

You'd make excuses even it took two hours "Go read a book or do some laundry while it loads for two hours, the game is still a masterpiece, you whiners!"

Dude, you're a prick, Shut up.

I'm not saying it's a good or a bad thing. Just that it's a thing.

Seriously, why are you here?

RenThePyro
  • RenThePyro

I kept on walking

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

Realistically we won't have instant switching until the whole game world can be simulated in real time and stored in ram, which would require insane amounts of ram and processing power.

Kampret
  • Kampret

Glorious Multiplatform Gaming Race

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

Realistically we won't have instant switching until the whole game world can be simulated in real time and stored in ram, which would require insane amounts of ram and processing power.

But hey, look at the video I posted above. It's a freaking PS3 with SSD, yet while it's limited to SATA I (1.5 Gbps), it can provide enough boost to shorten the time to switch characters.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:58 PM Edited by Ash_735, 28 July 2014 - 05:00 PM.

Implying it doesn't:

http://hexus.net/tec...ck-thanks-ssds/

CPU speed plays a large role in random IOPS. Which is what happens when you are randomly streaming content off a drive. Having a slow processor, such as a low end AMD chip, WILL slow an SSD's performance down even if it's connected to a SATA 3 bridge. You better believe that. And the Cell processor in the PS3 is old, older than old. It's definitely a major part in limiting the SSD performance in the PS3. 

Edit: Also if you don't believe CPU has any impact on SSD performance, and you have a processor that is capable of downclocking when idle, go ahead and set the max frequency of your chip to it's low clocks. If my 3770k is sitting in it's low power state of 1.6Ghz, my SSD performance gets cut in half. Imagine the impact a low frequency would have on a sh*ttier chip?

That's more to do with program access and start up, which IS CPU based, if I half my CPU speed, ANYTHING will take longer to start up, but that's not to do with the hard drive or the RAID, that will still get the data to the core as quick as it should, it'll be the CPU then lagging behind to process that data quick enough. An SSD will fully flush as much data into the RAID as it possibly can (e.g., if the connection is SATA2 based, then it will fill that pipeline, same goes for SATA1).

What you're subjecting to CPU based there is calculation of how quick it can deal with said data, it doesn't make the SSD or Hard Drive faster or slower, they will still fill the RAID's at the same rate they've always gone. For example, the Anti-Virus example given, the SSD is going faster at scanning through the listings, faster than the CPU can keep up compared to a standard scan, it's akin to having a brick of data thrown at it and being screamed it CALCULATE THIS LIST CHECK NOW I'M DONE! When scanning normally, it's slowly working its way through the file listings, which can be anywhere, but lets say most basic scans will take a gander at around 6 to 9 thousand files, as a scan takes place it will be crossing like 100 to 200 files off at a time, with an SSD, it will be throwing the name of all 6 to 9 thousand files right at the Anti-Virus to clear it through the CPU.

As for the CELL, it's working with a SATA1 Bridge and installs takes seconds, it's not exactly THAT limiting when using an SSD, considering how the OS on a console has to keep these files in check and is optimized for slow ass 5,400rpm, anything over will just make that a breeze for the system.

Basically, the barrier for SSD will always be the SATA bridge, that's the important one, but SSD's are backwards compatible so they WILL fill the bridges of the older models to still provide a massive speed boost. The CPU stuff, we're talking like small time and gains here in terms of Hard Drive speeds, the hard drive/SSD will always provide at the best speed it can, HOW that data then gets handled and processed is a different thing.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

Wow f*cking Ash, always being a troll.

Listen bro, fact is, faster CPU = faster access to that data where it MATTERS. I don't give a f*ck if the SSD itself can push all that data regardless of any other factor. If it gets squshed getting to where it matters then it is still a bottleneck from the CPU that is affecting the data access rate.

Stop being a f*cking bitch trying to avoid the reality that CPU speed does affect how we access SSD speed.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

Wow f*cking Ash, always being a troll.

Listen bro, fact is, faster CPU = faster access to that data where it MATTERS. I don't give a f*ck if the SSD itself can push all that data regardless of any other factor. If it gets squshed getting to where it matters then it is still a bottleneck from the CPU that is affecting the data access rate.

Stop being a f*cking bitch trying to avoid the reality that CPU speed does affect how we access SSD speed.

Why are you even angry on this? All you're pointing out is the CPU side of file handling, that sh*t doesn't matter to a Hard Drive/SSD, you can throw an SSD into a sh*tty media box with like a 1GHz CPU but if that box has a SATA3, the data from the drive will get to the device just as fast as it would on an overclocked 4GHz i7. We're basically agreeing on the same thing, we just differ on where the speed increase of a CPU will help. :p

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

Right, we're talking about a game and how it accesses data. I pointed out that a faster cpu would unlock the bottleneck of accessing that data and seeing it benefit the actual application and you gave me 4chan grade trolling.

Let's just agree with what we put down on the table. In the end we're both right.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users