Quantcast

» «
Photo

scariest weather situation youve been in?

38 replies to this topic
kevin de santa
  • kevin de santa

Thug

• BUSTED!
  • Ireland

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

Sitting in the house powerless in a thunder storm with 5 per cent left on battery. So I was. Wondering what's the scariest weather you been involved with. Ps obviously my situation is nothing just wondering

Sugar Free Nos
  • Sugar Free Nos

I'm the best Scrub

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
  • Best Scrub 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

Well, I live in Alabama, so it seems like a Tornado is almost always coming my way. I've also had lightning crack about 50ft from my house.

Nature's scary.
  • Palikari likes this

Palikari
  • Palikari

Live and let live

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:05 PM Edited by Palikari, 24 July 2014 - 05:14 PM.

Scary weather situation never, but...

Years ago, when my best friend and classmate told me: "Hey, have you studied for today's History of Art exam?"

I forgot I had an exam, and I hadn't studied. So I pretended to feel bad, so the teacher allowed me to leave. I did the exam the next day.

Scary, isn't it? Actually this is the scariest thing ever happened to me.

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

A thunder storm while at sea. No biggie compared to what you had to go through.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:15 PM

I remember around 2009ish, there was this crazy hurricane that flooded my middle school and they cancelled school for a week. It wasn't really scary though, rather it was fun.

• Palikari likes this

russler97
  • russler97

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

This maxresdefault.jpgac0019461parks.jpgFLOOD%20DOUGLAS%20PROM__________wi640he4

• Palikari likes this

Palikari
  • Palikari

Live and let live

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

I remember around 2009ish, there was this crazy hurricane that flooded my middle school and they cancelled school for a week.

Lucky guys...!  :D

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Onward towards the light

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most GIFted Member
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:29 PM

Made a row of snow angels after a blizzard. I was having a lot of fun until I looked at the last one I made and saw these brown smears everywhere. I ran home crying with dog sh*t all over my arms and back and it ruined that nice coat I got for Christmas.

• K20 likes this

Buckminsterfullerene
  • Buckminsterfullerene

Names are for friends, so I don't need one

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

The rain that drowned half of Jeddah back in 2011, lol.

Almost everywhere was flooded, and some of the tunnels were turned into swimming pools for cars.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:39 PM Edited by Joe Chip, 24 July 2014 - 04:43 PM.

Hurricane Charlie in 2004. Watching the neighborhood stray cats fly around outside the window. :/

Spoiler

That and water park lightning storms when I was a kid. Imagine 200 or so people crowded under a pavillion made for like five families, all talking about how likely it is to get struck by lighting out here because you're all a bunch of goofy european tourists who are afraid of foreign weather.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

This maxresdefault.jpg

Once I was caught in a similar one with a small sailboat (9 meter aprox) at some miles off the coast, though the waves were a bit bigger and the sea was choppier. Outside, the waves swept the deck and, inside, the noise of the hull hitting the sea was deafening.

I guess one of the scariest or more dangerous weather situations I've been in could be climbing with a snow storm: strong freezing wind hitting straight in your face and without being able to see few feets from you. It's f*cking oppresive.

Nordniedersachse
  • Nordniedersachse

Der Winter naht

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:53 PM

Usually we have no dangerous weathers where I live. Storm surges are a threat and can be quiet devastating (example: Hamburg 1962), but in my lifetime I've never experienced the water breaking through the dikes. They are pretty reliable and under observation, anything else would be unacceptable. To us coastal inhabitants the dikes are kind of what the Iron Dome is to Israel, I guess, just more reliable. Lmao

The "scariest" weather I've witnessed was probably a heavy thunderstorm which uprooted large trees.

I'm glad I don't live in a tornado or earthquake area.

MGT86
  • MGT86

Hustler

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

I remember 6 months ago, my family went on a small weekend getaway started really badly flooding  tried to get out of the area, construction site on the main road, nearly drowned the car in the puddle. The ground fell through a bit more than what it should have making a bigger puddle as we were driving through therefore nearly making the car not work. Another time was years back when it was a thunderstorm, nearly got struck by lightening, struck the tree i was standing near quite close.

Grandal.
  • Grandal.

Insert witty title here

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

ritawindmap.jpg

Windows were blowing out

Everything was flooded

Trees blown down everywhere

No power for 2 weeks

100+ degrees

Water was contaminated

Stray abandoned starving dogs everywhere

No gas to be had

I would definitely rather have been somewhere else 

• Palikari and Sugar Free Nos like this

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

Young American

• Zaibatsu
  • NATO
  • Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:40 PM Edited by Android, 24 July 2014 - 05:43 PM.

Serious hail storm back a few summers ago. Of course we had air conditioners in the windows, most people do around my area and the U.S. Anyway. This wasn't ordinary hail. When it hit the AC, it sounded like glass. When I heard that sh*t I immediately took cover next to my bed because I thought my window broke and whatnot. Seriously a very scary moment.

I also went through a whole week and three days without power, with hurricane Sandy back in October of 2012.

Plank.
  • Plank.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:42 PM Edited by Yolo Swaggins, 24 July 2014 - 05:44 PM.

I had a tornado hit my house while I was standing in front of a glass sliding door. I was watching the storm through the door, and all of a sudden the trees start swaying like crazy and the door starts rattling really hard. I move back freaking out until it slows down. I ran to the back door of the house and looked out the window, and saw that a small tornado had formed and was moving away from the house. I guess it decided to touch the ground right on my house.

f*ck weather, man.

EDIT: Also, being caught in the middle of a field about half of a mile from home in a nasty lightning storm.

Dalamo
  • Dalamo

It's all down south now.

• Members
  • Puerto-Rico

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:48 PM Edited by Edwin, 24 July 2014 - 05:50 PM.

I'm probably the only person that likes really bad storms just because of the rain, it gets colder! :happy:

And also when earthquakes happen I just go "whoooooo! :happy: " XD

Wolf of Badenoch
  • Wolf of Badenoch

Labore et Scientia

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:18 PM

Either being out in the Friedhelm windstorm in December 2011 or getting caught in a thunderstorm a few years before that. 

RiaJay21
  • RiaJay21

Post-Post-Ironic

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

It's not much. The end of last year, we had some heavy storms and high speed winds, which led to tidal surges. The scary part was more the fact that I was doing some work in the basement/vaults at, well, work, so if the place flooded, I would have drowned since I can't swim and all. Buy we closed early that day so, yeah.

The surges actually wrecked our village's beach, to the point where we've had TV crews coming around to report on the 'disaster' (folks around here love the melodrama), and someone lost their house, but as far as I know, nobody died. Towns were evacuated and there was some terrible flooding in some areas so for the people that suffered, it was bad.

Unfortunately, that has become an excuse for some other people who live here to get on TV. But we won't go into that.

DAWeeE1
  • DAWeeE1

Peon

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

A really, really bad snow storm in eastern Sweden on 5 December 2012, starting with the stupid mistake of trying to go to school even when almost all public transport had been shut down, and ending with a cold. Though the most devastating weather I've been part of was when a storm/hurricane swept through southern Sweden in January 2005, it was such a long time ago that I don't remember much from it (I was only 9 then).

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

The Wolf Hunger Rises

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

I skirted around the edge of a hurricane in a BA 747 when flying back from the Bahamas. That was f*cking scary.
  • Alchemist and Sugar Free Nos like this

GTA_stu
  • GTA_stu

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:22 PM

Being in bad turbulence on a plane is about as bad as it gets. You just feel so helpless and trapped. I suppose it's the same if you're on a boat in really choppy weather. A couple years ago I was flying back from Spain and we had really bad turbulence, and that was pretty horrible. There were these 2 women behind me who were crying their eyes out, and sat next to me was an air stewardess that was just flying as a passenger. Even she was freaking out a bit and looked really shaken. It was like being on a roller coaster that had Parkinson's. One of the worst experiences of my life.

Getting flooded in 2007 was kinda scary too. Not in a life endangering way, but just seeing your home getting slowly submerged deeper and deeper and losing a load of your possessions and stuff. It ain't nice. Mother nature can be a real bitch.

IveGotNoValues
  • IveGotNoValues

Half Mexican/half white...I'm a vanilla bean!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:13 PM Edited by IveGotNoValues, 24 July 2014 - 09:15 PM.

I mean, I cant say I've been in too many scary weather situations. Being in Southern California. there's earthquakes quite often (I don't know if that counts as weather though haha), most are relatively small though. The last real big one was in 1994 in Northridge which is close to my home, but I wasn't even alive yet. My mom was in labor with my older sis during the quake and she always tells me how terrifying it was being in the hospital bed giving birth while the whole building was shaking violently and the power went out and everything, and the hospital was pretty close to the epicenter of the quake (Mission Hills for anyone familiar with The San Fernando Valley). 

The talk around here is when the next "big one" is gonna hit...I mean its been 20 years now and they say there's a big earthquake here about every 20 years so...I'm prepared I guess. If a big earthquake hits LA and you never hear from me again, It probably means I'm dead :/

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

k i l l m e

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:26 PM

A tornado.

Dottie
  • Dottie

Tetrahedron of Dot

• Facade Corporation
  • North-Korea

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

Tornado (years ago)
-939295 degree whether of last winter
30592910 degree heat of last July

chrisscorsese88
  • chrisscorsese88

A Survivor is Born

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:23 PM Edited by chrisscorsese88, 24 July 2014 - 10:24 PM.

Blackout for about 5 days with no power during a major blizzard, this was at least 10 years ago though.

zuckmeslow
  • zuckmeslow

Writer/Director

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:11 PM Edited by zuckmeslow, 24 July 2014 - 11:11 PM.

Hurricane sandy here in new york. Terrible damage. Floods and extreme wind that was shaking my building and sounded eerie. I remember i had no heat for 2 weeks in my building and it was extremely cold. But i was lucky, other people got it worse. Entire houses flooded, trees came down killing people, it was a mess.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:08 AM Edited by Fireman, 25 July 2014 - 12:09 AM.

36.9 degrees Celsius,

I thought I would literally die from the heat.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:21 AM

36.9 degrees Celsius,

I thought I would literally die from the heat.

40 degree (celsius) days are pretty much the norm here in Australia during summer. As for me about 15 years ago I was up north in Queensland with my family. We were in the town of Maryborough when a mini cyclone tore through. We had to seek shelter at a nearby petrol station and wait for it to blow over.

That was only a small one. I'd had to be caught in a full strength cyclone.

Straypuft
  • Straypuft

Pilot For Hire

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:01 AM

Mass organized bicycle ride back in 1996, 75 miles each day for 2 days, huge storm front rolled in early in the afternoon, tornado weather, dangerous lightning and strong gust winds, add several funnel clouds to the mix, the forcast for the second day was just as worse, that they had to cancel the second day of the ride and bus everyone back home the next day, my mothers plan for us was to camp in a school football field which was part of the event, we got to the school at the end of the first day and they told us everyone was sleeping in the gym.

aside from that, 3 years ago, being out on a small boat in lake erie with a water spout that touched down not far from us <3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users