How Rockstar revolutionized and redefined online gaming: A dissertatio

108 replies to this topic
Joekill95
  • Joekill95

Estuans interius...

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:12 PM

Jesus...are people actually arguing about what it means to be a "gamer"? And by playing less than 3 titles a year it means you're a pathetic gamer? Have I got this right? Does anyone else think this is f*cking hilarious!?

lol, indeed, i only play one game at a time and I pwn at it.  I have friends who play 5 or more and they suck at them all, I am pro gamer, you are pathetic gamers, muahaha!

No sir.. I'm just able to "pwn" in a variety of games in many genres

Amen to that, brother. To pwn at one is to raise an eyebrow. To pwn at them all is to raise many eyebrows.

Of course, I could care less what people think when it comes to my "skills". I play for the entertainment value. Being good just helps.

• AboveAndBeyoncé likes this

MilezDawg
  • MilezDawg

No Jones No Stones

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

What new and revolutionary game mechanics does GTA Online have?

Money Glitching

Dottie
  • Dottie

Now with 256 colours!

• Facade Corporation
  • North-Korea
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:27 PM

What new and revolutionary game mechanics does GTA Online have?

Money Glitching

glitching in general

• MilezDawg likes this

BondageKitty
  • BondageKitty

Felicia

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

No one answered seriously. Only daft jokes.

Dottie
  • Dottie

Now with 256 colours!

• Facade Corporation
  • North-Korea

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:34 PM Edited by Winning001, 26 July 2014 - 08:35 PM.

I did.

glitching in general

wasn't joking on that one

• MilezDawg likes this

BondageKitty
  • BondageKitty

Felicia

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

I did.

glitching in general

wasn't joking on that one
Glitching isn't new nor a game mechanic.

jackjoejim
  • jackjoejim

Bomba-rass!

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:26 PM

Revolutionize online gaming - in terms of company's wallet, for sure. I've never seen an Online or Multiplayer game can be this money greed and having an acute game balance distortion.

You obviously havent played too many online games then. Free dlc's. What other ps3/xbox game does that?

R* devs are gods

You obviously don't know about game production. You call those Updates as DLC just because Rockstar call them 'DLC'?

I laugh.

What do they even have for purchase? 5 variations of shark cards... that's it?

Like i said, you haven't played much online gaming if this is what you classify as "super greedy". 

You're cancer to the video game industry. Continuous bitching & moaning about something that isn't even there. How old are you, btw?

Shut your mouth contrasting. There has not been any free dlc, just updates with more stuff added that were prepared and done months ago.

Anyone that lumps this as dlc with the history of all other dlc games is a dopey fool. You think they're adding new cars out of the goodness of their heart?

You're the cancer that keeps buying into crap and opening your butt hole to be used and abused so other publishers can line up to f**k you next.

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

Jesus...are people actually arguing about what it means to be a "gamer"? And by playing less than 3 titles a year it means you're a pathetic gamer? Have I got this right? Does anyone else think this is f*cking hilarious!?

lol, indeed, i only play one game at a time and I pwn at it.  I have friends who play 5 or more and they suck at them all, I am pro gamer, you are pathetic gamers, muahaha!

Amen to that, brother. To pwn at one is to raise an eyebrow. To pwn at them all is to raise many eyebrows.

Of course, I could care less what people think when it comes to my "skills". I play for the entertainment value. Being good just helps.

I suppose I should mention I have a full time job and a life, so theres only time for one game. When i was younger with no job and no responsibilities I played many at a time as well, but sadly thats just not possible anymore.  Nor are there really many even worth playing to be honest, they are all somewhat disappointing compared to what I used to play.  Quality has really went downhill in favor of quantity it seems.  GTA and BF4 are really the only ones i would even consider playing that are out right now.  havent played bf4 yet, and im not that excited about it as it seems to have gone the way of COD, same sh*t, different pile.

Dottie
  • Dottie

Now with 256 colours!

• Facade Corporation
  • North-Korea

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

I suppose I should mention I have a full time job and a life, so theres only time for one game. When i was younger with no job and no responsibilities I played many at a time as well, but sadly thats just not possible anymore.  Nor are there really many even worth playing to be honest, they are all somewhat disappointing compared to what I used to play.  Quality has really went downhill in favor of quantity it seems.  GTA and BF4 are really the only ones i would even consider playing that are out right now.  havent played bf4 yet, and im not that excited about it as it seems to have gone the way of COD, same sh*t, different pile.

blame annualizing the franchise. no time for innovations. Literally just recycled content with the same horrible problems as the last. also Protip, the QBU-88 is amazing 

A Maned Wolf
  • A Maned Wolf

"Boobs Are Under-Powered"

• Members
  • Christmas-Island

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:47 PM

blame annualizing the franchise. no time for innovations. Literally just recycled content with the same horrible problems as the last. also Protip, the QBU-88 is amazing 

Just gonna leave this here:

http://battlelog.bat...987105/xbox360/

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:08 PM

Heh, nice. Tried to find mine but couldn't. Haven't played in a long time. I'll check on my pc maybe. Do they delete after time?

V HoneyBadger V
  • V HoneyBadger V

Ratel

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:28 PM

When Rockstar gives something to the high levels such as myself, I would be inclined to play more. I am not buying a Cash Card and I never will. All I want is some long fun missions that pay well.

Rockstar have given a lot, but we all need more. After the past week, Bungie has retaken its place on the throne as kings.
  • Joekill95 likes this

A Maned Wolf
  • A Maned Wolf

"Boobs Are Under-Powered"

• Members
  • Christmas-Island

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:36 PM

Heh, nice. Tried to find mine but couldn't. Haven't played in a long time. I'll check on my pc maybe. Do they delete after time?

If you go here: http://bf3stats.com/ you can still pull it up.

Wildfire_08
  • Wildfire_08

Who cares

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:37 PM

Anyone who says GTA didn't revolutionise gaming wasn't born or at least old enough to know what effect GTA III had when it came out, & then Vice CIty & San Andreas, those 3 right there changed everything.

Joekill95
  • Joekill95

Estuans interius...

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:40 PM

Anyone who says GTA didn't revolutionise gaming wasn't born or at least old enough to know what effect GTA III had when it came out, & then Vice CIty & San Andreas, those 3 right there changed everything.

This thread isn't about GTA in general. It's about GTA:O.

Which at this point claims the title of a GTA game, but feels like it barely is.

Wildfire_08
  • Wildfire_08

Who cares

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:42 PM

This thread isn't about GTA in general. It's about GTA:O.

Which at this point claims the title of a GTA game, but feels like it barely is.

You're right, I scanned over & assumed.

But yeah either way, GTA 4 did more for the online gaming in my opinion.

This GTA does not feel like a GTA game to me, there are so many things left out that it makes me wonder who they have on the team deciding what to put in, and what to leave out.

Starscream_910
  • Starscream_910

Undercover Moderator

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Snapmatic 2014

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:45 PM

A lowlife 'member' of the commnunity (A 3title per year gamer) recently questioned what it was specifically that Rockstar brought to the online gaming community.

GTA:O does exactly that. It brings it to the online experience. That GTA feeling you can share with your friends. It's not perfect, and at times it feels like a low budget sequel (to GTA V) with cameo appearances from the single player personalities. However, the gameplay, mechanics and especially the 'feel' of this game's single player are captured reasonably well Online.

However, that's just any generic multiplayer game. What was it that GTA:O did to revolutionize and redefine online gaming?

Well, that stems from not only the number of things you can do, but the quality of the activities.

For example, it's possible within the space of say, forty-five minutes to go skydiving, rescue a kidnapped gangmember from a rival gang, steal a military grade transport, beat a friend in an arm wrestling match, capture (well... kill really) a #1 criminal with an underground bounty, set a world record on a race track (and get a commemorative tattoo), buy a suit and a jetplane; or conversely a set of board shorts and a speed boat... then call up a few friends and all hang out catching waves or jumping out of it, and tons of other stuff... but the other stuff.... well, not all within forty-five minutes.

This dolt was dull enough to call into question the single player (award winning, record breaking) mode of the game as well.

Being honest, there are better shooters, better racing games, better dress up games, hell, I'm sure there're better boating games... however, GTA:O promised, and delivered on revolutionizing multiplayer aspects.

No single game on the market allows you to do these things, as well as creating custom deathmatch maps and race tracks (and capture lol) from the entire map, allowing for the additions of obstacles, weapon drops etc.

Then they have the gaul to allow you to customize what your character looks like, as well as a skill progression system to enable your accomplishments (such as the under the bridge trophy) to actually affect how the rest of the game plays. Minorly, certainly, but things like infinite sprinting from increasing your stamina, or the ability to carry more ammo from increasing your shooting stat are useful in many situations.

You can buy a house in a number of neighborhoods ranging in price from under $25k to $400k or so. Multiple houses/garages can be bought... mostly to store your fully customizable personal cars in. Twenty of them. Or motorcycles. There's a varied selection of those too.

Let's call it every other month, but frequently Rockstar also releases updates adding new weapons and clothing options into the mix as well as some pretty awesome themed vehicles.

Then there's the addition of 'minor' but well designed (and super fun) minigames you can play with your friends, such as tennis and golf. Entire crews (yeah... I didn't touch on those... or the social club.. or snapmatic) are built up around those 'mini-games.'

Additionally, Rockstar frequently has contests and giveaways (both in, and out of game prizes) centered around those contests... and seemingly monthly events with rewards for specific activities such as custom playlists and gang attacks... or even Lester requiring several cars of the same make and model (was it the Ocelot Jackal)?

Ignoring "money glitches' they pretty frequently sweep the game (albeit slowly) for bugs and glitches... bad ones I mean. Every patch (fifteen as of now) have seen numerous bug fixes.

However, The game itself is a major feat, but about 1/3 the community are little kids with too much time on their hands which ruins it for many of us.

Source: http://www.gamefaqs....online/69691588

9u3bx0.jpg

Dottie
  • Dottie

Now with 256 colours!

• Facade Corporation
  • North-Korea

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:47 PM Edited by Winning001, 26 July 2014 - 11:48 PM.

Just gonna leave this here:

http://battlelog.bat...987105/xbox360/

nice. edit realized its BF3...

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:38 AM Edited by sultangris, 27 July 2014 - 01:42 AM.

If you go here: http://bf3stats.com/ you can still pull it up.

cool, thanks, this must be me, been a while, lol http://bf3stats.com/..._pc/SultanGris1

http://spieler-daten...tats/sultangris dont know why thats in german, lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users