Photo

How Rockstar revolutionized and redefined online gaming: A dissertatio

108 replies to this topic
Marc30499
  • Marc30499

Delegado

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:03 PM Edited by Marc30499, 24 July 2014 - 04:33 PM.

A lowlife 'member' of the commnunity (A 3title per year gamer) recently questioned what it was specifically that Rockstar brought to the online gaming community.

GTA:O does exactly that. It brings it to the online experience. That GTA feeling you can share with your friends. It's not perfect, and at times it feels like a low budget sequel (to GTA V) with cameo appearances from the single player personalities. However, the gameplay, mechanics and especially the 'feel' of this game's single player are captured reasonably well Online.

However, that's just any generic multiplayer game. What was it that GTA:O did to revolutionize and redefine online gaming?

Well, that stems from not only the number of things you can do, but the quality of the activities.

For example, it's possible within the space of say, forty-five minutes to go skydiving, rescue a kidnapped gangmember from a rival gang, steal a military grade transport, beat a friend in an arm wrestling match, capture (well... kill really) a #1 criminal with an underground bounty, set a world record on a race track (and get a commemorative tattoo), buy a suit and a jetplane; or conversely a set of board shorts and a speed boat... then call up a few friends and all hang out catching waves or jumping out of it, and tons of other stuff... but the other stuff.... well, not all within forty-five minutes.

This dolt was dull enough to call into question the single player (award winning, record breaking) mode of the game as well.

Being honest, there are better shooters, better racing games, better dress up games, hell, I'm sure there're better boating games... however, GTA:O promised, and delivered on revolutionizing multiplayer aspects.

No single game on the market allows you to do these things, as well as creating custom deathmatch maps and race tracks (and capture lol) from the entire map, allowing for the additions of obstacles, weapon drops etc.

Then they have the gaul to allow you to customize what your character looks like, as well as a skill progression system to enable your accomplishments (such as the under the bridge trophy) to actually affect how the rest of the game plays. Minorly, certainly, but things like infinite sprinting from increasing your stamina, or the ability to carry more ammo from increasing your shooting stat are useful in many situations.

You can buy a house in a number of neighborhoods ranging in price from under $25k to $400k or so. Multiple houses/garages can be bought... mostly to store your fully customizable personal cars in. Twenty of them. Or motorcycles. There's a varied selection of those too.

Let's call it every other month, but frequently Rockstar also releases updates adding new weapons and clothing options into the mix as well as some pretty awesome themed vehicles.

Then there's the addition of 'minor' but well designed (and super fun) minigames you can play with your friends, such as tennis and golf. Entire crews (yeah... I didn't touch on those... or the social club.. or snapmatic) are built up around those 'mini-games.'

Additionally, Rockstar frequently has contests and giveaways (both in, and out of game prizes) centered around those contests... and seemingly monthly events with rewards for specific activities such as custom playlists and gang attacks... or even Lester requiring several cars of the same make and model (was it the Ocelot Jackal)?

Ignoring "money glitches' they pretty frequently sweep the game (albeit slowly) for bugs and glitches... bad ones I mean. Every patch (fifteen as of now) have seen numerous bug fixes.

However, The game itself is a major feat, but about 1/3 the community are little kids with too much time on their hands which ruins it for many of us.

Source: http://www.gamefaqs....online/69691588
  • blackindia, A J, GroundZero and 27 others like this

Mathew4296
  • Mathew4296

Road Warrior

• BUSTED!
  • Australia

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

I agree. While GTAO may not be perfect, it's still fun and there is plenty to do (unless you are some 13 year old obsessed with glitching money to buy supercars and apartments).

InB4SomeTwatSaysTL;DR

• GroundZero, Zito, ten-a-penny and 9 others like this

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

Beginning PC Gamer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

You just took the words right out of my mouth.

TreFacTor
  • TreFacTor

O.G.

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

Hideo is jealous....nuff said.
  • Feurian42, Semperfiman550 and KeeNer187 like this

xLuCx
  • xLuCx

lolwut?

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

How many copies of gta were sold again? How could possibly prevent even half of those players from doing money glitches. 

It's so dumb because you say they have too much time on their hands but getting millions only takes a couple of minutes. 

I'd be upset with rockstar if anything for leaving so many loop holes open. You rly are a dumbass if you think its glitcbers ruining thr online experience.

• JayDM420 likes this

Marc30499
  • Marc30499

Delegado

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:18 PM Edited by Marc30499, 24 July 2014 - 02:20 PM.

How many copies of gta were sold again? How could possibly prevent even half of those players from doing money glitches. 

It's so dumb because you say they have too much time on their hands but getting millions only takes a couple of minutes. 

I'd be upset with rockstar if anything for leaving so many loop holes open. You rly are a dumbass if you think its glitcbers ruining thr online experience.

They do ruin it apart from the modders. I can't even begin to fathom how many times I'm driving around minding my own buisness and randomly get shot out of nowhere... Only to find out it was some wall breaching GLITCHER... They don't just money glitch they do other glitches too.

Mathew4296
  • Mathew4296

Road Warrior

• BUSTED!
  • Australia

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if you are some glitching twat. With a project as big and ambitious as GTAO, it's going to have a fair amount of problems. Doesn't give you twats the right to glitch the living sh*t out of it. Glitchers DO ruin the online experience, whether it is physical or money.

• blackindia, ten-a-penny and Artruo like this

Bandalamente
  • Bandalamente

Carbuncle Cleaner

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

You are right and its nice to be reminded, but its for granted now so they better do something else cool if they want more of my money. 

luisniko
  • luisniko

Haeveeh Musheenguhn!

• Members
  • None

Online gaming to follow Rockstar's way in treating GTA Online?

No, thanks.

• JayDM420, RoachKiller_416, Franceska and 2 others like this

GG14876
  • GG14876

A Love Media Production

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

Wasn't this exact thing posted a week ago?

gtuned
  • gtuned

【=◈︿◈=】

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

This is a brilliant post and really shows what R* has done even though they do have their moments of "what the f*ck are you doing"

GTA Online is basically endless, you can do so much crazy, wild, funny sh*t that even after you get bored of playing, by the next day you're spending hours playing again. Countless times throughout playing online, there's been moments of "holy sh*t did that really just happen" and near dying of laughter.

What other game can you decide "Hey, let's take a Jet, Massive Plane, a BMX Bike, a Helicopter, a Lifted Truck and sports cars, and see what we can do on an airport runway?" or "Let's all drive up a massive mountain and drive off the edge of it, and parachute out of the cars and see if we can land in a boat" or "Let's see if we can jump a Monster truck over a plane, and have a motorcycle backflip over that"

This game, even though it has it's horrible "community" and developers who make some really questionable decisions while at the same time adding in a ton of free new content and adding even new ways of wasting time and creating memories with friends, is really quite amazing and fun. And we're not even a year into it, there's still a ton more to come.

tl;dr, GTA Online is a massive sandbox with infinite possilbities of fun, and that's f*cking awesome.

• GroundZero, KeeNer187, tfroam and 1 other like this

Marc30499
  • Marc30499

Delegado

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

No

Mathew4296
  • Mathew4296

Road Warrior

• BUSTED!
  • Australia

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

This is a brilliant post and really shows what R* has done even though they do have their moments of "what the f*ck are you doing"

GTA Online is basically endless, you can do so much crazy, wild, funny sh*t that even after you get bored of playing, by the next day you're spending hours playing again. Countless times throughout playing online, there's been moments of "holy sh*t did that really just happen" and near dying of laughter.

What other game can you decide "Hey, let's take a Jet, Massive Plane, a BMX Bike, a Helicopter, a Lifted Truck and sports cars, and see what we can do on an airport runway?" or "Let's all drive up a massive mountain and drive off the edge of it, and parachute out of the cars and see if we can land in a boat" or "Let's see if we can jump a Monster truck over a plane, and have a motorcycle backflip over that"

This game, even though it has it's horrible "community" and developers who make some really questionable decisions while at the same time adding in a ton of free new content and adding even new ways of wasting time and creating memories with friends, is really quite amazing and fun. And we're not even a year into it, there's still a ton more to come.

tl;dr, GTA Online is a massive sandbox with infinite possilbities of fun, and that's f*cking awesome.

Exactly. What online game is perfect anyway? This game sure as sh*t beats the hell out of a lot of other online games I've played. Most of which don't offer nearly as much options as GTAO.

brose_sfr
  • brose_sfr

brozilla

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

"A lowlife 'member' of the commnunity (A 3title per year gamer) recently questioned what it was specifically that Rockstar brought to the online gaming community."

this is where you lost me.

I'm not sure what a "3title per year gamer" is.
  • MilezDawg likes this

sebcreed
  • sebcreed

VANS Society VP

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:41 PM

Good read. Thanks!

da_illest101
  • da_illest101

GTA World Heavy Weight Champion

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

Sounds like someone who barely buys games to me.

Marc30499
  • Marc30499

Delegado

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

"A lowlife 'member' of the commnunity (A 3title per year gamer) recently questioned what it was specifically that Rockstar brought to the online gaming community."

this is where you lost me.

I'm not sure what a "3title per year gamer" is.

The member oddly only plays 3 titles per year this 'low life' also is a weird gamer

Fox2Quick
  • Fox2Quick

Foxmaster Flex

• Members

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:46 PM

The game doesn't have to be fully functioning to be entertaining. And at the other end of it, it has to be fully functional to expect people to play by the rules.

GG14876
  • GG14876

A Love Media Production

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

No

Well, not here, but I have seen the exact same thing posted elsewhere:

http://www.gamefaqs....online/69691216

http://www.gamefaqs....online/69691588

I'm still stuck on the actual "dissertation" part though.  Is this referencing an unseen dissertation (most likely) or is this the dissertation itself (least likely, but hey...)?

• Franceska likes this

brose_sfr
  • brose_sfr

brozilla

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

since OP insulted me in the first line I'm just gonna say this:

GTA4 + RDR + The Sims is not revolutionizing or redefining.

CatchMeTrolling
  • CatchMeTrolling

Troll

• Members
  • United-States

Hell no.

Zee
  • Zee

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom
  • Comedian of the Year 2011

They revolutionized online gaming by proving you could put out an online mode that is pure unmitigated crap and idiots will still flood the place with their money and rabidly support it on the internet. What sad dark times we live in.
  • GroundZero, return-to-innocence, Officer620 and 9 others like this

brose_sfr
  • brose_sfr

brozilla

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

lmfao! can someone get the REAL OP here so I an address the "3 title per year" comment??

I haven't played anything else since GTAV came out.

@OP since you cut n pasted this from another forum, I bid you good day.
  • MilezDawg and Cokecan72 like this

luisniko
  • luisniko

Haeveeh Musheenguhn!

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

Revolutionize online gaming - in terms of company's wallet, for sure. I've never seen an Online or Multiplayer game can be this money greed and having an acute game balance distortion.

• Zee, iliev77 and Awesom-0 like this

MantisFang
  • MantisFang

Undead Insect

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:59 PM Edited by MantisFang, 24 July 2014 - 03:01 PM.

well, obviously

hipaterheistnot.jpg

• GroundZero, MilezDawg, JayDM420 and 6 others like this

AlienOne
  • AlienOne

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

Copy and paste?

Zee
  • Zee

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom
  • Comedian of the Year 2011

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

lmfao! can someone get the REAL OP here so I an address the "3 title per year" comment??

Well, it makes sense. GTA Online fanboys are pretty stupid (you'd have to be to enjoy that repetitive crap) it makes sense that they'd need to pool their collective IQs just to have a post they can copy paste whenever they need to make a brainless fanboy argument.
  • MilezDawg and JayDM420 like this

Mathew4296
  • Mathew4296

Road Warrior

• BUSTED!
  • Australia

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

Well, it makes sense. GTA Online fanboys are pretty stupid (you'd have to be to enjoy that repetitive crap) it makes sense that they'd need to pool their collective IQs just to have a post they can copy paste whenever they need to make a brainless fanboy argument.

I have a query for you. If you are so intelligent & enlightened, what are you doing hanging around the GTA ONLINE section of these forums? I'd be interested to see if you can come up with an explanation that doesn't leave you sounding like a sad loser.

• ten-a-penny likes this

Marc30499
  • Marc30499

Delegado

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

No

Well, not here, but I have seen the exact same thing posted elsewhere:
http://www.gamefaqs....online/69691216
http://www.gamefaqs....online/69691588

I'm still stuck on the actual "dissertation" part though.  Is this referencing an unseen dissertation (most likely) or is this the dissertation itself (least likely, but hey...)?

I wanted the gta forums opinion aswell since gamefaqs is not the only place I was going post this on

Mathew4296
  • Mathew4296

Road Warrior

• BUSTED!
  • Australia

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

Revolutionize online gaming - in terms of company's wallet, for sure. I've never seen an Online or Multiplayer game can be this money greed and having an acute game balance distortion.

Call of Duty, dickbrain. You idiots seem to be forgetting that GTA Online isn't the first game to thirst for a players real life dollars.

You're an idiot. It's not like COD had content advertised at launched that keeps getting delayed so they can make more $. COD SELLS DLC GTA just sells currency for already in came content. There's a difference. Moron

No, they just keep releasing the same game year in & year out without any real changes for full price to people dopey enough to keep buying it. As for the DLC thing, there really isn't much difference. They both leave you out of pocket with not much to show for it.

You, sir, are the moron. But keep telling yourself otherwise if it helps you sleep at night :)

• ten-a-penny likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users