Quantcast

» «
Photo

How would you feel about four switchable characters?

9 replies to this topic
visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

V has established a new standard for switching characters. It certainly isn't a perfect system, but it's convinced me, a one-time-"no-multiple-characters-please" guy, that it's the future of GTA. to a degree. A lot of talk about the next title (apart from those wanting even more GTA Online, which I never play) centers around having two characters, a hero and a villain perhaps, who don't necessarily have to know each other, at least until the finale.

What about going to four characters? Including a woman perhaps? V features three archetypes which reflect the spectrum of GTA well; the organized man-with-a-plan (or so he hopes) Michael, the lunatic who just wants chaos Trevor, and the CJ-alike Franklin. CJ-alike in the sense of being able to do anything without it seeming too weird; wear baggy clothes, drive lowriders, play sports, all of that stuff SA fans miss. Including a woman would mean delving further into any of these archetypes or going in a completely different direction. How about a Madam (female pimp)? Let's say V had a woman in addition to its three protagonists; she'd get pimping missions, Trevor would get a drug-dealing game ALA Chinatown Wars, Franklin would get gang wars, and Michael would get empire building. Cutting out Franklin (everybody's least favourite character it seems- including mine) would retain the three character dynamic, but you'd lose all that fun gang related culture and clothing to dive into. Frankiln looks good in any clothes, whereas Trevor and Michael do not. A woman would obviously have more clothes than all the other characters combined.

TLDR: would being able to switch between four characters prove overwhelming for you?

• BLOOD-MOND and Wavesittich like this

lucy12345
  • lucy12345

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

Depends how it's done. We'd need more missions than in V, to get all the characters more detailed and fleshed out. I definitely would love for one of them to be female though.

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:47 PM Edited by Dope_0110, 24 July 2014 - 04:50 PM.

Probably too many. Even three seems like too much, or at least that's what it seems like due to lack of character specific missions that would expand their own story, separate from the joint story of all three characters.

So in my opinion 2-3 should be the most (though I'm more than satisfied and prefer one) and properly done if they decide to do it again for the next game, with more missions for each character and a deeper story.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

It would make me violently stab my eyeballs out of their sockets and throw them at a group of homeless gentlemen.

We saw how poor multiple protagonists were executed in V and rather than Rockstar trying to fix that issue by adding more missions for them or whatever, they should just make one protagonist for the next game.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:23 PM Edited by Tycek, 24 July 2014 - 05:24 PM.

Seeing as they couldn't even pull it out with three of them, do you really think they can manage with four? Hard to say it was one time mistake or their writing is getting much worse, but V was done terribly in that matter. Multiple protagonist brought nothing more than a mess, so either they will take their sh*t together again or they should definitely go back to one or two of main characters. 

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

It would make me violently stab my eyeballs out of their sockets and throw them at a group of homeless gentlemen.

We saw how poor multiple protagonists were executed in V and rather than Rockstar trying to fix that issue by adding more missions for them or whatever, they should just make one protagonist for the next game.

http://m.ie.ign.com/...le-player-co-op

Wavesittich
  • Wavesittich

#yeshomo

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

I totally don't agree with universe. The multiple characters were awesome in V and will be awesome in VI too.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

I totally don't agree with universe. The multiple characters were awesome in V and will be awesome in VI too.

How exactly were they awesome? You say they were but you didn't elaborate much on what made them awesome to you or how they were awesome.

Wavesittich
  • Wavesittich

#yeshomo

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

How exactly were they awesome? You say they were but you didn't elaborate much on what made them awesome to you or how they were awesome.

They were different. Trevor is a rampaging, mentally disabled neurotic, while the other characters are more calm and so on.

When you switched in free mode, you could get to other places faster, and in missions, you could see serveral POVs.

And finally it made the story more interesting.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

They were different. Trevor is a rampaging, mentally disabled neurotic, while the other characters are more calm and so on.

Sure they were different, but were they good? Was Franklin or Trevor well written characters, well enough to challenge Niko Bellic and Tommy Vercetti?

When you switched in free mode, you could get to other places faster, and in missions, you could see serveral POVs.

You could kinda see several POVs in missions in games like GTA 3 and Vice City, mainly because you could do them any way you wanted to and you weren't stuck on a rail like you were in V.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users