Quantcast

» «
Photo

Do you think R* purposely withheld good features from V?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
102 replies to this topic
Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

Naw, don't think so. Till date, Sa is the Gta with maximum features cut out just b4 release. Why? Limitations. Sa was supposed to have the 3 protag switching system, animals, and a hell lot of cool features. Because at that time R* could not properly program animal AI and the switch system seen now in Gta 5. Why do you think the countryside was so vast in Sa? Animals, that's why. I'm sure they wanted to add many more things to 5, but could not. They're definetly NOT doing it purposely.

I like the animals theory indeed. You can shoot birds and they disappear, unfortunately they look crap and 2-dimensional. They also have sea critters and even dolphins, yet land mammals seem to be out of the picture... seems inconsistent. Yet, there were more features still cut from SA - things that never even made it to BETA (such as the aforementioned 3 playable characters for the 3 cities) and things which weren't technically cut, but were bugged and unusable to the point that you don't even realise there was supposed to be a feature there :p

They also wanted to do 3 characters in IV, hence Johnny, Luis and Niko all link together in the story.

They did do, technically? But indeed, I think that's an idea leftover from SA, too. The wanted one character per city, and I reckon the stories would have interlinked. I highly suspect the character in San Fierro would have been based in Chinatown and resemble Huang Lee from CTW (ideas being left out for other games seems like a recurring theme, eh?) and he would have ended up getting involved with Wuzi and taking a part in the take-down of the Loco Syndicate.

Somewhere in the mix, a secret agent must become involved or something, who would have taken care of CJ's weird spy phase, thus leaving CJ to be a somewhat more consistent character :p

KingKock
  • KingKock

I'm a Dingus....

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

Naw, don't think so. Till date, Sa is the Gta with maximum features cut out just b4 release. Why? Limitations. Sa was supposed to have the 3 protag switching system, animals, and a hell lot of cool features. Because at that time R* could not properly program animal AI and the switch system seen now in Gta 5. Why do you think the countryside was so vast in Sa? Animals, that's why. I'm sure they wanted to add many more things to 5, but could not. They're definetly NOT doing it purposely.

Since when was SA supposed to have 3 characters? I'm not calling you a liar, but I've head this a lot recently, but I've actually never seen the source for this info....

Anyway, I do believe a lot of things where withheld from the game, whether for DLC or because they where not fully fleshed out is up to you guys to decide. If we see all of the businesses show up, and other activities that where found already cut in the game code when the SP DLC comes out we'll know for sure.....

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

This section is becoming horrible, seriously.

I think it needs to be closed for a while and opened again once people start trying to keep debates as civil as possible and not throwing insults from the word go. And stop taking opinions as facts as well.

This goes to both the defenders and the haters.

• Scaglietti likes this

WesternMotorcycleCo.
  • WesternMotorcycleCo.

Western Motorcycle Company Cruisers

• WMCC
  • Ireland

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:57 PM Edited by Barefoot Tiger, 24 July 2014 - 05:03 PM.

The whole point here is they left out great oportunities, things that would have been better than what we got. It's not me who says it, but a lot of people out there as well. 

I don't just complain because I wanted more content. I complain because the content they shoved me is pure dog sh*t compared to what I expected from a GTA game, especially this one, period.

I can vouch for this. Being a console player, the only reason I want a PC is for the LCPDFR and all the other great mods.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:06 PM Edited by Deji, 24 July 2014 - 05:13 PM.

Then why the f*ck was LCPDFR the most famous mod for GTA IV? Tell me, enlighten me.

Well I don't bloody know, perhaps it was simply well made, eh? I've certainly never heard of it, and I'd argue that "ICExtender" (or whatever it's called) and ENB Series already have the spot for most famous IV mods. I think your opinion of LCPDFR is just as biased as your opinion of the lack of vigilante missions in V, really. And still, why doesn't even matter? LCPDFR is a mod, and R* North aren't mod makers. No game development company needs to take lessons from some spare time amateurs about a game which they created, developed and were solely responsible for making the most popular game franchise, do they? And it's a good job they didn't, really, because V is successful. God knows what would have happened if they'd made V into a full-game version of LCPDFR... it'd probably be considered the worst game in the series, but who knows? But again, I'm sure they'd rather be original and not copy ideas that modders, or even themselves have already done. That's time wasted which could have been spent doing new, unheard of things.

They could learn from that and evolve the classic vigilante and make it as complex as LCPDFR and I can GUARANTEE you that most people around here would have loved and liked that more than the majority of the other crap features they put in. And it would have also made an excelent oportunity for great GTA O game modes as well. What did they do instead? They cut it out completely.

Boo hoo.

The whole point here is they left out great oportunities, things that would have been better than what we got. It's not me who says it, but a lot of people out there as well.

EVERY DAMN GAME LEAVES OUT GREAT OPPORTUNITIES! Have you not read a single important point I've said? There's never a point in any game developers life when they think "well, I honestly don't think there's anything else which can possibly be done to make this game better..." - usually that's replaced with "THANK GOD we've finished this 5 years worth of development and have something which is ready to ship out after a 6 month delay! And luckily we managed to do all the stuff that we did do without breaking the budget!".

AGAIN, if they'd worked on the same old crap from previous games, that would have cut into the budget. A budget which would be better spent working on brand new crap.

I don't just complain because I wanted more content.

Well, you don't JUST complain about that, maybe, but that was a complaint you put forward, which is a pretty invalid one.

I complain because the content they shoved me is pure dog sh*t compared to what I expected from a GTA game, especially this one, period.

Okay if (YOU THINK) the game is "dog sh*t" or doesn't meet your high expectations, but that DOES NOT explain why you complain. You can complain in your head, you know. You can even voice your complaints aloud if you feel the need... however, going on to a forum full of GTA V fans and taking the time to type out your complaints requires quite a bit more effort - so surely you can't be going to all that effort JUST because you don't like the game. Surely you must expect some sort of result out of it? I'm basically saying that you won't get any result, except pissing off the many fans who reside here and aren't going to change their minds, thus it's a pretty pointless venture to be honest. Again, go to a church and complain about their religion - or a church forum. It's just as pointless and, well, not very pleasant, to be honest. Or, better yet, just don't come on this particular section, clearly titled "GTA V", and instead redirect your attention to one of the many other GTA titles which have a forum on this board. I just don't see any sense in it, to be honest. The best way to indicate that GTA V is actually a bad game would be for no one to be active in its forum... the same treatment that GTA Advance and other less popular games get. But if you leave, this forum will still be very active. Why? Because quite a lot of people actually like V, so it's basically like you're an avid atheist sitting in a church, pretty weird.

I think it needs to be closed for a while and opened again once people start trying to keep debates as civil as possible and not throwing insults from the word go. And stop taking opinions as facts as well.

You're just as bad for posting this. I think it needs to be closed, too. To stop people like you from posting here. It's fine if you don't want to have a debate, just talk to one of the many people who AREN'T having a debate, but debates are good, they (sometimes) provide the ability to figure out new sorts of information which have never been dwelled on before. Basically, what you're being right now, is a debate hater ;)

Since when was SA supposed to have 3 characters? I'm not calling you a liar, but I've head this a lot recently, but I've actually never seen the source for this info....

http://www.develop-o...-vision/0183989
The whole thing is a delight to read, at least in my opinion. I much prefer hearing GTA-stuff from the actual president of North, rather than the Houser's, who are mostly just the big mouths of the operation. When Leslie speaks, it actually feels like legitimate information and not just some generic prepared statement.
  • Ss4gogeta0 likes this

Wylight
  • Wylight

GTA4Life!

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:09 PM

Here's a challenge for you guys: Criticize GTA V without referencing any other game. 

I've already stated that if V weren't a GTA game, I'd like it more and view it as a decent sand-box game. But its a GTA game and so that makes me think of all of the older games. I enjoyed those games so much yet I only truly enjoyed V for a few weeks. It makes me think of what Rockstar was capable of and usually they don't let me down because their games are pretty timeless. GTA V felt like it was made by one of those developers that go for "good enough" rather than "the best or nothing" and I'm used to "good enough" with developers like Ubisoft or EA or Turn10Studios, but not Rockstar. V could've been better. And don't ask me why because I've already explained myself fifty million times before, I'm not doing it again.

Yeah some people just don't seem to get that this game forms part of an OLD franchise that had it's fanbase build up on CERTAIN things that suddenly desappeared in V. 

Like I said before, it's like Ferrari would switch to making wheel chairs and then try to sell those to their old costumers that bought luxury sports cars from them. What are those costumers going to say? ''Oh, you know what? Sports cars are so outdated, they did it countless times before and it was time for a change and wheel chairs sounds pretty cool actually, Im gonna have ten of them please!''

• Scaglietti likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:19 PM Edited by Barefoot Tiger, 24 July 2014 - 05:27 PM.

They could learn from that and evolve the classic vigilante and make it as complex as LCPDFR and I can GUARANTEE you that most people around here would have loved and liked that more than the majority of the other crap features they put in. And it would have also made an excelent oportunity for great GTA O game modes as well. What did they do instead? They cut it out completely.

Boo hoo.

EVERY DAMN GAME LEAVES OUT GREAT OPPORTUNITIES!

You make it difficult for anybody to take you seriously. Calm the f*ck down and be sensible.

To be honest it'll never end. It's been months, almost a year, and yet this section is still an anti-opinion, overly hostile mess. If it bothers you so much, just avoid it. The only reason I'm not is because I have nothing else better to do right now.

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

To be honest it'll never end. It's been months, almost a year, and yet this section is still an anti-opinion, overly hostile mess. If it bothers you so much, just avoid it. The only reason I'm not is because I have nothing else better to do right now.

I stay here because it's entertaining lol.
  • Scaglietti likes this

Wylight
  • Wylight

GTA4Life!

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:20 PM Edited by Barefoot Tiger, 24 July 2014 - 05:23 PM. stop with the huge quotes!

Okay if (YOU THINK) the game is "dog sh*t" or doesn't meet your high expectations, but that DOES NOT explain why you complain. You can complain in your head, you know. You can even voice your complaints aloud if you feel the need... however, going on to a forum full of GTA V fans and taking the time to type out your complaints requires quite a bit more effort - so surely you can't be going to all that effort JUST because you don't like the game. Surely you must expect some sort of result out of it? I'm basically saying that you won't get any result, except pissing off the many fans who reside here and aren't going to change their minds, thus it's a pretty pointless venture to be honest. Again, go to a church and complain about their religion - or a church forum. It's just as pointless and, well, not very pleasant, to be honest. Or, better yet, just don't come on this particular section, clearly titled "GTA V", and instead redirect your attention to one of the many other GTA titles which have a forum on this board. I just don't see any sense in it, to be honest. The best way to indicate that GTA V is actually a bad game would be for no one to be active in its forum... the same treatment that GTA Advance and other less popular games get. But if you leave, this forum will still be very active. Why? Because quite a lot of people actually like V, so it's basically like you're an avid atheist sitting in a church, pretty weird.

I seriously won't go into a pointless argument with a person that doesn't get the damn point even if it's right is his face, I explain something out loud and you still try to dig up any kind of irrelevant crap. Do you really believe Im the only one that complained about the game on these forums? Wake the hell up, there are countless complain threads in the GTA V forum but I don't know where you've been up until now really. This is NOT the worst GTA game nor have I ever said it's a bad game. It's just the pure fact that the game let me and many other GTA fans down. My expectations were as high as Rockstar and the game previews made them to be. And when something I like is suddenly scraped away and replaced wth something I DON'T then Im obviously going to be mad. 

The point of LCPDFR was to show you that it wasn't just me who liked vigilante but plenty of people because that's what tha mod is, and in-depth and complex extension of vigilante and when will you understand it was just a god-damn bare example, I never stated they should turn GTA V into a vigilante simulator or anyhting, it was just ONE of the features that would have been a better choice than what we got instead.

• Choco Taco and Cutter De Blanc like this

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:28 PM Edited by Deji, 24 July 2014 - 05:40 PM.

Yeah some people just don't seem to get that this game forms part of an OLD franchise that had it's fanbase build up on CERTAIN things that suddenly desappeared in V. 
Like I said before, it's like Ferrari would switch to making wheel chairs and then try to sell those to their old costumers that bought luxury sports cars from them. What are those costumers going to say? ''Oh, you know what? Sports cars are so outdated, they did it countless times before and it was time for a change and wheel chairs sounds pretty cool actually, Im gonna have ten of them please!''

That's the stupidest analogy I've ever heard... a better one would be:
Ferrari have decided to change the style considerably for the next model of car (the fact you compare other GTA's to Ferraris and V to a wheelchair is such a silly exaggeration), so all the old Ferrari lovers now stop buying the Ferrari's (which is fine, no one has ever said you should buy V, if you think it compares to a wheelchair - in fact, I've been ranting over and over that you should simply not use said wheelchair, and instead start following Porsche instead, or something else that you actually like) and start nagging all the people who do like the new Ferrari's about how the old ones were better (same way you're criticising V - to a bunch of V fans) despite the fact the new Ferrari model is doing great and people enjoy it. Even if it looks like a wheelchair to you, it looks like a super car to those who still follow it... so what's your purpose here? If you think Ferrari/GTA has lost it, go away and never associate with the "dumb" supporters of the new model! The only reason you're here, and getting involved in slightly heated debates about your opinions, is because you choose to inflict those opinions on a bunch of people who don't want or need to hear it. It's your choice to go to a place where a lot of people like something and say it's wrong and hate it... In case the religion analogy didn't sink in, it's like going to a gay bar and explaining everything wrong with being gay.

You make it difficult for anybody to take you seriously. Calm the f*ck down and be sensible.

What's wrong with a touch of dramatic effect? At least I don't swear needlessly and insult people just to make a point ;)

I seriously won't go into a pointless argument with a person that doesn't get the damn point even if it's right is his face,

Ever considered that you may be that person? ;)

I explain something out loud and you still try to dig up any kind of irrelevant crap.

That's exactly what I said you were doing... digging up irrelevant crap. Now you're just using the "I am rubber, you are glue" methodology, I think. Again, ever consider I might be thinking the exact same about your opinion? The difference seems to be that I am willing to talk about it and debate it until my fingers turn sore in the hopes that one of us changes our mind - you're now opting for the side of ignorance.

Do you really believe Im the only one that complained about the game on these forums?

Do you really believe that there aren't MORE people who like the game and would rather not see complaints littering the discussion?

Wake the hell up, there are countless complain threads in the GTA V forum but I don't know where you've been up until now really.

Go to those threads then! The good thing about those threads is, once you post your complaints there, you don't need to post again! Why OBSESS over something you don't like, eh?

This is NOT the worst GTA game nor have I ever said it's a bad game. It's just the pure fact that the game let me and many other GTA fans down.

Lots of things let me down. Instead of complaining about how they let me down, I make the most of what they are. It's called positivity, you should try it! Or at least present your criticisms in a more neutral way, because as I said a thousand times, you just come off like you're trying to change peoples opinions. If you actually, after all this, think it's a good game, why don't you surround your negative criticisms with some good ones? Why don't you, instead of nitpicking what isn't there, provide CONSTRUCTIVE criticism? People are more willing to talk and agree with people who are being fair, rather than those who are coming off as just trying to spread hate.

My expectations were as high as Rockstar and the game previews made them to be. And when something I like is suddenly scraped away and replaced wth something I DON'T then Im obviously going to be mad.

The point of LCPDFR was to show you that it wasn't just me who liked vigilante but plenty of people because that's what tha mod is, and in-depth and complex extension of vigilante and when will you understand it was just a god-damn bare example, I never stated they should turn GTA V into a vigilante simulator or anyhting, it was just ONE of the features that would have been a better choice than what we got instead.

Good! But vigilante was already in 6 games, so why does it need to be in any more? If they really loved the vigilante missions, they should play those games with vigilante missions in (or LCPDFR, if they so choose). It wouldn't have made it "better", it would have just added another feature. Whether that's a good thing or not, as I said, is subjective. Personally, I don't miss vigilante missions, I played them enough in VC and SA alone.

And imagine this scenario: what if they DID add vigilante missions to GTA V, but they sucked? Then, your criticism wouldn't be "they should have added vigilante", but "vigilante was terrible". What if, just what if, to throw another "bare example" into the mix, they DID make vigilante missions, but then decided to cut them because they sucked? One thing is for sure, if they added vigilante missions (AGAIN) they would be expected to be a load more different and more exciting than they were in any previous game, so that would have required changing what "vigilante missions" actually were - but you said you wanted vigilante missions from the old games, right? If they change it, it's not technically vigilante missions from the old games... it's something new. And that's exactly what they've done, added something new instead! Assassinations could have probably been called "vigilante" instead - would that have somehow made the illusion of vigilante missions complete?

Chief theef
  • Chief theef

Undercover

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:48 PM

When i die... it will be for defending gtaVs honor.

Wylight
  • Wylight

GTA4Life!

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:52 PM Edited by Skizzo45, 24 July 2014 - 05:53 PM.

I seriously won't go into a pointless argument with a person that doesn't get the damn point even if it's right is his face,

Ever considered that you may be that person? ;)

I explain something out loud and you still try to dig up any kind of irrelevant crap.

That's exactly what I said you were doing... digging up irrelevant crap. Now you're just using the "I am rubber, you are glue" methodology, I think. Again, ever consider I might be thinking the exact same about your opinion? The difference seems to be that I am willing to talk about it and debate it until my fingers turn sore in the hopes that one of us changes our mind - you're now opting for the side of ignorance.

Do you really believe Im the only one that complained about the game on these forums?

Do you really believe that there aren't MORE people who like the game and would rather not see complaints littering the discussion?

Wake the hell up, there are countless complain threads in the GTA V forum but I don't know where you've been up until now really.

Go to those threads then! The good thing about those threads is, once you post your complaints there, you don't need to post again! Why OBSESS over something you don't like, eh?

This is NOT the worst GTA game nor have I ever said it's a bad game. It's just the pure fact that the game let me and many other GTA fans down.

Lots of things let me down. Instead of complaining about how they let me down, I make the most of what they are. It's called positivity, you should try it! Or at least present your criticisms in a more neutral way, because as I said a thousand times, you just come off like you're trying to change peoples opinions. If you actually, after all this, think it's a good game, why don't you surround your negative criticisms with some good ones? Why don't you, instead of nitpicking what isn't there, provide CONSTRUCTIVE criticism? People are more willing to talk and agree with people who are being fair, rather than those who are coming off as just trying to spread hate.

My expectations were as high as Rockstar and the game previews made them to be. And when something I like is suddenly scraped away and replaced wth something I DON'T then Im obviously going to be mad.

Good! But vigilante was already in 6 games, so why does it need to be in any more? If they really loved the vigilante missions, they should play those games with vigilante missions in (or LCPDFR, if they so choose). It wouldn't have made it "better", it would have just added another feature. Whether that's a good thing or not, as I said, is subjective. Personally, I don't miss vigilante missions, I played them enough in VC and SA alone.

And imagine this scenario: what if they DID add vigilante missions to GTA V, but they sucked? Then, your criticism wouldn't be "they should have added vigilante", but "vigilante was terrible". What if, just what if, to throw another "bare example" into the mix, they DID make vigilante missions, but then decided to cut them because they sucked? One thing is for sure, if they added vigilante missions (AGAIN) they would be expected to be a load more different and more exciting than they were in any previous game, so that would have required changing what "vigilante missions" actually were - but you said you wanted vigilante missions from the old games, right? If they change it, it's not technically vigilante missions from the old games... it's something new. And that's exactly what they've done, added something new instead! Assassinations could have probably been called "vigilante" instead - would that have somehow made the illusion of vigilante missions complete?

Pal, I simply expressed my opinion related to this particular topic and you came to attack it. I exress my damn point as straight forward as I can and YOU came again with long-ass tl;dr posts that have nothing to do with what I said in the first place. You quote me on that vigilante/LCPDFR thing as if it was the ONE thing I ranted about and wanted GTA V to be strictly focused on that matter when I clearly stated it was just a simple example yet you keep picking at that.

I've already taken into account all the good sides of the game, already did constructive criticism.

And I have the right to ''nit-pick'' what wasn't there as long as these things were primarly what I expected from this game don't you think. You don't like that, maybe you're the one who should wander off to another topic dedicated to kissing R*'s ass and prasing the game.

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• GTA Series Staff
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

That's it, the end of the line.

Topic closed.

• MiamiViceCity, Ss4gogeta0, theGTAking101 and 5 others like this