Photo

Vehicle classes

23 replies to this topic
sparky66
  • sparky66

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:29 AM

I can't be the only one to think the vehicle classes in this game are badly designed?

They mean that people only race certain vehicles because they would be at a disadvantage if they picked anything else. For example, in every super class race 95% of people use a Zentorno or and Adder. In most sports class races people use the Massacro or Elegy. No one would ever bother to pick the Tornado or Mañana in a sports classic race when they could have a Monroe or Z Type.

It also doesn't take into account tuned vehicles, meaning that if you don't have a fully tuned version of one of the best cars in a class you will be at a disadvantage.

It also means that you cannot race cars if they are in different classes, even if they are pretty evenly matched. My Sabre Turbo and my friends Sultan seem to be able to keep up with each other in free mode, but the game won't let us race them together.

There are also some really weird decisions as to which vehicle goes into each class. Bison and Bobcat are in vans for some reason, whilst the Sadler is in the utility class. Felon is a four door sedan but is classed as a coupe, Buffalo is in the sports class but could equally be classed as a sedan or muscle car etc.

A better system would be similar to one used by many racing games. Each car is given a performance rating between 1-100. Tuning a car increases it's rating. So a surfer would be close to 1, a Zentorno would be nearer 100. When you start a race you select the maximum allowed performance rating, which would limit car choice to vehicles below that rating. It would then make it possible to race the slower vehicles and still have a chance of winning and also to mix different vehicle classes in one race.

Thoughts?
  • B Dawg, adamsowilliams, Killzone3265 and 8 others like this

iddqdvie
  • iddqdvie

Oldschool Rebel

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:54 AM

sounds like a good idea that will never make it into the game.
  • manicmechanic71 likes this

gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:07 AM

The weapons need balancing aswell but these things won't happen.

CarimboHanky
  • CarimboHanky

Rehabilited Glitcher

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

but this is just like in real life mate, that who have the money would buy the best car and upgrades so he can have the upper hand, you go with the best you can affort.

the only class that its balanced its the super class, which have the entity-adder-zentorno in contention for the supremacy of it class.

apart from sport, on all the other classes there is only 1 go-to car if you want to have a chance to win.

do car classes need some balance? ofcourse they do.

would it happen? i dont think so!

manicmechanic71
  • manicmechanic71

Homie

• Members

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

Well, a lucid, well argued post OP - that's a rarity on here! What you say makes perfect sense to shake up racing in general. It could be either/or too like in GT5 where races are either class based or performance point limited. A great idea :)
  • Cokecan72 likes this

Sneakerfeen11
  • Sneakerfeen11

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:05 AM

Frank's Buffalo should be in the muscle class. I love that car, but it gets the crap kicked out of it in the sports class. 

• vipprimo likes this

scaldy78
  • scaldy78

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

If I use the race creator can I limit the race to one specific vehicle? I want peyote races, tornado races or Voodoo races etc. give some love to these whips. Imagine a race full of suped up Rat-Loaders!
  • vipprimo likes this

BoJack Cognac
  • BoJack Cognac

Cowboy and Rap Star

• Members

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

Thoughts?

I think the entire Star Wars® franchise is overrated. 

• ZeroF0rce and Killzone3265 like this

Killzone3265
  • Killzone3265

i get flustered at times

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

Frank's Buffalo should be in the muscle class. I love that car, but it gets the crap kicked out of it in the sports class. 

what about the futo and penumbra you racist

*simeone voice*

• vipprimo and oleg_aka_djmeg like this

DKNIGHT123
  • DKNIGHT123

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

If I use the race creator can I limit the race to one specific vehicle? I want peyote races, tornado races or Voodoo races etc. give some love to these whips. Imagine a race full of suped up Rat-Loaders!

Yes you can. I've been driving around trying to come up with a track for tornadoes and peyotes, but nothing has come to mind yet.

tfroam
  • tfroam

Snipers are pussies who usually suck at close combat.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

Great idea OP. Obviously this is too much work for R* and won't be updated into the game as it wasn't part of the pre-launch update plan. 

But yeah I could see them actually allowing us to race in mixed classes. It could for the most part reinvent the race mode and make it fresh. 

DKNIGHT123
  • DKNIGHT123

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:19 AM Edited by DKNIGHT123, 23 July 2014 - 11:21 AM.

Sorry, random double post.

gorskiegangsta
  • gorskiegangsta

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:58 AM Edited by gorskiegangsta, 23 July 2014 - 12:02 PM.

Apart from 'sports classics', sedans/coupes mixup fiasco, as well as others you mention, the main racing classes (sports/super) are actually quite accurate. A Mitsubishi Eclipse/Audi TT (Penumbra) isn't supposed to be nearly as fast on track as a Porsche 911 (Comet) or Nissan GT-R (Elegy).

I only wish R* would get their 4-door 'coupes' sh*t straightened out.

Cuz05
  • Cuz05

~RRR1~

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

I like that idea a lot but there would be pitfalls. I expect you'd have to be very familiar with the car ratings to keep certain cars from dominating your races, more so than with class divisions. I also imagine that 95% of random races you'd join would be set on 100. It may mean that car choice would be even more narrow in the bulk of races.
Still, a very interesting idea.
  • vipprimo likes this

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

i think they should do it similar to midnight club where they had lettered classes.

you could tune a car to get a higher rating competing with other cars

ofcourse there's limits and you can't get a surfer up to par with a zentorno.

but it would allow more cars to be used and different cars to race each other 

LeopardGecko
  • LeopardGecko

GTA biker

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

I always wondered why are some vehicles in wrong classes(Bison and Bobcat are vans instead of utility,Ratloader and Picador are muscle instead of utility,Buffalo is sport instead of muscle,Felon and Oracle are coupe instead of sedan...).

I agree that we should be able to race vehicles of different classes(muscle vs sport classic,sport car vs sport bike,sport car vs super car...)

I also think that there should be a few more classes of cars like lowriders(Peyote, Tornado, Manana and Voodoo),pick-up trucks(Bison, Bobcat, Sadler, Ratloader, Bodhi, Picador, Duneloader, Rebel...),tuners(Futo, Prairie, Penumbra...),as well as more classes of bikes such as cruisers(Daemon, Bagger, Hexer, Sovereign and Thrust),sport bikes(PCJ600, Bati801, Double T, Akuma...),dirtbikes(Sanchez)and scooters(Faggio).

• vipprimo likes this

frankenstein107
  • frankenstein107

grond thoft auto

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

The Exemplar is pathetically overpowered for the coupés class.

Awesom-0
  • Awesom-0

Happy 1st anniversary without heists!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

I thought this was gonna be another "What is the best vehicle in each class" thread. I was gonna be pissed if it was. We have enough of those threads. But yeah, i agree with you OP.

pedinhuh
  • pedinhuh

Playa

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

This idea is very well thought and would balance the racing of the game, so of course it won't be implemented.

vipprimo
  • vipprimo

TORO INDUSTRIES

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:07 PM Edited by vipprimo, 23 July 2014 - 01:10 PM.

I've never been able to create a Voodoo race, but you can choose the cars and "limit" them so basically controlling the pace of the race.  

Sparky66, I see where you're going.  If you made a number system everyone would just use Elegy's.  Free car, all you need is the upgrades, every YouTube video says it's the best and I wouldn't argue.  So now instead of cut classes, we've got Elegy races everywhere.  Not the route I would want.

I always hear people comparing numbers to numbers.  The reality is that just because you pick what you consider the fastest car doesn't guarantee a win.  In fact, how many people picked the Surano or Rapid GT because "the numbers said they were the best".  The results didn't end up quite how they looked on paper, did they?  Now that we have a couple of YouTubers who say, "these cars are the best" and we're suppose to believe them?  

I'm also not going to argue that the Elegy is possibly the best car in the game.  It doesn't mean it's "my" car of choice.  In fact, I lose constantly with it.  I'm a Feltzer driver and I sometimes fall back to the Massacro because I like both for their race car feel.  Also because I'm consistent.  Every great race driver has consistency and they find the car that helps them be consistent.  If you have one lap that is 1:10 and 2 more that are 1:30 because you spun it, you aren't going to win.  

As long as we play video games people are going to up their odds by figuring out the numbers.  It used to be when someone started playing you could guarantee they would pick the Adder.  Those guys lost against Entity so what did they do?  You guessed it, bought an Entity.  Now the Zentorno is the go-to car, but I've seen it lose to a Voltic.  

The reality is there is no perfect system and I can look over that the Futo and Penumbra are in the wrong class and the Coupe Oracle and Felon have 4 doors (most notably because I beat up on Exemplars with the Felon so I like that).  I do like LeopardGecko's idea of low-riders and cruising bikes though.  Unfortunately that would be dominated by the Thrust, but I digress.  

And lastly, the only people I see complaining are the people who aren't winning and they aren't winning because they're looking at the numbers and saying why doesn't it work?  Oh, it must be R*'s problem.  It's time to come to terms that the reason you aren't winning is because you didn't put in the time to become a winner.  Keep racing and when that Exemplar is no longer a threat you won't care what class it's in.

Strikeslip
  • Strikeslip

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

Why is the Sanchez available in off-road class races? It's not even in the off-road section to buy on the in-game website.

It negates buying and modding any off-road vehicle for racing. >:-(

oleg_aka_djmeg
  • oleg_aka_djmeg

Congratulations! You're Vinewood's biggest star!

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

what about the futo and penumbra you racist

*simeone voice*

rayciste

• gorskiegangsta likes this

AlienOne
  • AlienOne

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

Picador is muscle instead of utility,

face f*cking palm

DKNIGHT123
  • DKNIGHT123

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

It's also maddening that certain cars don't appear in races unless you own a custom one. That's just plain stupid. I would love to see an overhaul of racing in this game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users