Photo

Can't load old save (PS3)

7 replies to this topic
Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

So the 4.60 firmware update bricked my PS3 but luckily (and coincidentally) I saved my GTAV saves via USB. But when I tried to load them it just starts a new game. I know this isn't really a GTA specific problem, but... any help would be appreciated.

I searched but only found a lot of vague answers. I'm not looking foward to finding all those damn scraps of paper again.

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

Forum Leader

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Nations
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

So the 4.60 firmware update bricked my PS3 

Hello, the 4.60 firmware update was a very minor update, it is odd that it should have 'bricked' your console (unless it was a coincidence and the console fault is not attributable to the update). 

The saves that are on the USB may now be unreadable by the console due to a console interface fault. You can check if the USB saves have been corrupted by trying them in another PS3 unit. Either a friend who also plays GTA V on PS3 may be able to help, or failing that, a games store will check the save data for you.

If the save files can be read and loaded by another console, they can be read by any console apart from yours which is faulty.

Your next option then will be to decide whether to have your console repaired or buy a second hand (working) console and continue your game using the USB saves, or wait until the game comes out on PS4 and start again.

If the save data cannot be read from the USB drive by another console, the data is indeed damaged and unfortunately you will have to go back to square one.

Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

I don't think it bricked my console by design. I think the download corrupted for some reason and then screwed me on the install. Probably some hiccup in my connection. It went from install loop with no safe mode, to just dead black screen.

But I've already got another console. And I've used my saves before (that's why I happened to have them at the time my console crapped out) but for some reason they're not working now on my new PS3. I load them from the menu, the loadng screen appears normally, but then I get "ludendorff north yankton" and I pull a little more of my hair out.

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

Forum Leader

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Nations
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

for some reason they're not working now on my new PS3.

The only advice that I can offer is as above, try the USB in another console to see if the save data can be read (it may be a compatibility glitch between your new PS3 and the USB drive, although I doubt it. It's worth a try though as the saves may be salvageable.

If another console cannot read the save data, then it's back to picking up letter scraps I'm afraid.

Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

Thanks. I mostly just wanted to know if this is something common that I just didn't know about.

Argh! Damn you, Leonora Johnson!

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

You purchased a new console? Were you unable to do a hard reset on the PS3 and re-format the hard drive-- http://www.thetechga...3-consoles.html

Can you host your save file on dropbox or what not??  to see if one of us can read your save?

and please specify where in the world you are located-- apparently there are compatiblility issues-- for example-- for me to read it you would have to be playing the north american version.

I have not yet tried loading up anyone's save other then mine yet.

If you decide to sign up for drop box-- this link will give you and me bonus cloud storage space-- https://db.tt/Ys95yRqJ

Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:31 PM

I had to pull the HD out and in to force my old console to go into recovery mode. I was optimistic at first but I kept getting error messages or "can't find storage". Then I got nothing but black screen .

"This process may take approx 3 hours, you will also need AV cables because HDMI isn't recognized after initial reset."

This gives me pause because I was just using HDMI. Oh, well. I needed an excuse to buy a new PS3 before they disappear from the shelves.

It's not that big of a deal. I just thought there might be an obvious compatibility issue I was overlooking.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:06 AM

It sounds like your hard drive may have crashed-- 

I don't have enough experience with moving saves to my console to answer the question.... 

My only experience has been on doing a full backup/restore from external media--- I found out the hard way that if you "restore" from one console to another, your saves are NOT available-- but if you back up and then restore to the same console (even with a new hard drive)- that the saves are available.

Note-- I'm referring to the built in backup utility on the PS3-- not just copying saves to a thumb drive or whatnot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users