How is Tommy a ripoff of Tony Montana?

35 replies to this topic
GTA19somethin
  • GTA19somethin

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

I be hearing some people saying that Tommy is a ripoff version of Tony Montana from Scarface and I ask how exactly is that? The only similarities the two have are short tempers. That's it. Personality-wise, I can't see any other similarity. Tony was a Cuban immigrant who was uneducated and impulsive. Tommy was actually highly intelligent and fastidious. He took time to put his plans in detail right before implementing them. Plus unlike Tony, he wasn't addicted to his own narcotics. In fact, there was even one cutscene where he refused a drink offered to him by Avery. Tommy was a drug dealer, but he was never a drug user (sure he took Auntie Poulet's potion and inhale Phil's boomshine, but those were accidental). Not to mention that he never killed any MAIN/SUPPORTING CHARACTER unless they deserved it. So I'm perplexed as to where the Tony Montana ripoff contention came from.

• MrAlexVercetti, ClaudeSpeed1911 and TheMuteGuy like this

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

I agree with you. They probably had that last mission (the mansion shootout) in their minds.Can you believe that there were actualy some asholes they they hated the game because they thought it was a ripoff of Scarface?

Anyway in that case GTA VC is more ripoff of Miami Vice than scarface but i don`t give a crap about that. Ripoff or no ripoff the game was awesome, Tommy was awesome and that`s what matters to me.

• Kalerney, MrAlexVercetti, ClaudeSpeed1911 and 2 others like this

Boyz2Society
  • Boyz2Society

Rat

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:14 PM

I couldn't agree any more. People are so blind by the inspiration of Scarface that they are quick to call Tommy a Tony Montana impersonator when in reality, the two are completely different. Outside of building empires, I see absolutely no cues that Tommy took from Tony. These people just like to exaggerate things I guess.

Mar.K
  • Mar.K

Hitman

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:19 AM Edited by markwey, 25 July 2014 - 03:59 PM.

Tommy shared a few things in common with Tony, but instead of being rip-offs,

they were merely just small influences, references and nods towards "Scarface". 

edit (25/7/14): some parts of text fixed.

• FirstLadyofGTA likes this

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

I don`t see many similarities however, Tony was a cokehead, Tommy didn`t like any drugs or alcohol, Tony loved designer suits, Tommy loved his hawaian shirt more than any suit in which he would look like a chump as he said in the "party" mission.

In that case you could say that SA is a ripoff of boyz`n the hood or LCS of godfather 1. Or GTA V of ocean`s 11 (or was it 12 i forgot), VCS of Miami Vice etc...

But there are only references not actual ripoffs.

watersgta3
  • watersgta3

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:00 PM Edited by watersgta3, 24 July 2014 - 06:00 PM.

Tommy is really more like an inspiration of Tony Montana. See that's the problem with people these days. Nobody can tell the disparity between an inspiration and a ripoff. Everything always has to be tantamount to each other to them. Sure Tommy has things in common with Tony, but by no means is he a ripoff. If he were to repeat Tony's phrases and and start using drugs the way that Tony did, then that would indeed make him a ripoff. Tommy's personality is WAY different from Tony's and I really wish people who always bash Tommy would open their eyes and see that clearly instead of making untenable assumptions.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

It makes wonder if people who say this have ever seen Scarface. One distinct difference is Tony shows real morals. To be fair Tommy is 1 dimensional, but we can assume he would kill anyone for any reason. Tony only harms those that have it coming to them (he even says that in the movie).

Apart from living in a similar looking mansion and being kingpins they don't share a lot in common. So IMO people who say this don't have a clue what they're talking about.
  • ClaudeSpeed1911 likes this

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

Yeah but Tony was a cokehead and Tommy was anti drugs or alcohol kind of guy. And you can`t trust a hardcore cokehead i know 2 of them in real life so i know they would sell their own mothers for a f*cking liine of white. I`m talking about hardcore cokeheads, the addicts not recreational ones who do it only every now and then. They act almost as heroin addicts.

And that`s why i liked about Tommy he was selling drugs but never using them. And that`s the only way you`re going to be succesfull in this bussines. Because consuming it + selling it`s not so good combination.

watersgta3
  • watersgta3

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

It makes wonder if people who say this have ever seen Scarface. One distinct difference is Tony shows real morals. To be fair Tommy is 1 dimensional, but we can assume he would kill anyone for any reason. Tony only harms those that have it coming to them (he even says that in the movie).

Apart from living in a similar looking mansion and being kingpins they don't share a lot in common. So IMO people who say this don't have a clue what they're talking about.

Agree, except that Tommy isn't exactly heartless either. He was always loyal to his allies and those he helped and never betrayed anyone (except for Diaz, but Diaz was never his friend to begin with and he was responsible for ambushing the drug deal in the beginning, so he doesn't count). I agree with everything else you said. Tommy and Tony may have some similarities, but anyone who calls Tommy a ripoff of Tony Montana has absolutely no idea what the f*ck they're talking about. (I'm talking to you CJ fanboys who bash Tommy)

• TheOtherRyan likes this

Gunslinger_GK
  • Gunslinger_GK

STRR Lieutenant

• Members
  • France

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:11 AM Edited by Gunslinger_GK, 06 August 2014 - 01:14 AM.

It is not a rip-off because Scarface references and similarities through the game are very obvious. It's a tribute to the movie and R* never hided it. Other than that the game has its own plot, his own set of characters and so on. 

Players were intended to get these tributes, R* never tried to fool anyone or plagiarize the movie.

Regarding Tommy, i assume people just never get further the hawaiian shirt, for every reasons mentionned above.

• don ovdi' island likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:07 PM

They both wear Hawaiian shirts. Therefore, Tommy Vercetti is a ripoff of Tony Montanna.

But seriously though, I never got their reasoning either. The only things I can put together between the two are the mansion, the shootout, and the fact that it takes place in 1980s Miami. And even then, if the last point is to be taken literaly, Vice City could be based off the Golden Girls then for f*ck's sake.

10574537_693661310689602_217579085021413

don ovdi' island
  • don ovdi' island

дрэдлоксъ

• Members
  • Ethiopia

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:13 AM Edited by dreaded_verse, 08 August 2014 - 02:27 AM.

It is not a rip-off because Scarface references and similarities through the game are very obvious. It's a tribute to the movie and R* never hided it. Other than that the game has its own plot, his own set of characters and so on. 

Players were intended to get these tributes, R* never tried to fool anyone or plagiarize the movie.

Regarding Tommy, i assume people just never get further the hawaiian shirt, for every reasons mentionned above.

This.

Tommy isn't a rip-off of Tony Montana, but as mentioned the game nods to the movie.  The mansion is (or at least the foyer) almost exactly the same, down to the CCTV's and everything.  They both had their own story lines however which were completely different.

Yeah, Tony did drugs and Tommy didn't, Tony's downfall ended up being that he was addicted to his own supply - thus leading him to kill his best friend (remember he did this because he was in a coked up rage, though he warned him earlier in the movie not to f*ck with his sister), leading his sister to get coked up and try to kill him resulting in her getting killed by mercenaries sent by the Bolivian drug lord (Sosa) he f*cked over.  Shootout scene in the end, was similar. However there has never been a GTA where the protagonist dies in the end, if Tommy was direct ripoff of Tony he would have succumbed to the consequences of his own vice (in Tony's case, cocaine) and died.  Obviously Tommy had a different path.

They even have apartment 3C in Vice City, where you can find the bathtub full of blood and they have a chainsaw in there, so don't say R* wasn't trying to give a respectful nod to Scarface because it's obvious they were.

Tommy is not a Tony Montana ripoff though, anyone who said such obviously didnt play the game or see the movie through.

Source: GTA Vice: City was my first GTA game and Scarface is one of my favorite movies of all time.

• Gunslinger_GK likes this

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

I personally don't think tommy is a rip off Toni at all. I think VC was inspired by Scarface. Tommy, is very different from Antonio Montana though... here is a copy paste reason why that I posted in another thread

one. Toni Montana became a psychotic drug addict (Cocaine, to be more specific). Tommy on the other hand, is a smart man with class, but he can get angry fast in a psychotic way, and never got addicted to any type of drug.

Two Toni is from cuban heritage, and in the movie he recently moved from Cuba to USA. Tommy on the other hand, is from italian heritage, and recently came to Vice City from LC to do a drug deal that went bust, so he was forced to stay in VC.

Three, Toni died at the end of his story in Scarface. Tommy never died or got killed at all in his story.  

four, Toni killed his own best friend in cold blood. Tommy never killed anyone he trusted and had respect (except for Lance vance, who betrayed him at the worst case scenario)  

five, Toni got his mansion and drug lord status and business up very fast, and rushed it. Tommy, went slowly, he had to buy other business' to make money, and he had to do alot of other stuff (Wich is pretty much the centre plot of VC.)

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:28 PM

Tony killed his best friend just because he slept with his (Tony's) sister, I don't think Tommy could kill his best friend just like that :) And yes, he killed Vance but because he betrayed him..

• MrAlexVercetti likes this

Paul723
  • Paul723

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:11 AM Edited by Paul723, 15 August 2014 - 09:00 AM.

People who hate Tommy just want to find some futile excuse to hate him. So they contrive some illusion and use it against everyone else, thinking they're substantiating their contention when in reality, they don't know what the f*ck they're talking about. Tommy is more like an inspiration of Tony Montana, but inspiration is by no means tantamount to a ripoff. Tommy was more intelligent, caustic, fastidious, and cognizant of impending risks and/or consequences, unlike Tony, who did everything on impulse. Plus Tommy was smart enough not to use any type of drug intentionally. Like the OP said, the only similarity Tommy has with Tony personality wise are hot tempers. Nothing else other than that. So anyone who calls Tommy a ripoff/copy/paste version of Tony Montana has absolutely not watched the Scarface movie. Is Tommy Cuban? Did Tony spend 15 years in prison? Did Tommy repeat any of Tony's phrases? Tommy's story is different from Tony's.

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

Also, most people that hate tommy are the CJ and GTA SA fanboys.... They hate everything in GTA except, of course SA and CJ. They say that GTA IV sucks, Niko sucks, GTA V sucks, its story sucks, trevor sucks, michael sucks, Franklin sucks, VC sucks, its a ''ripoff'' Scarface (Wich is the only pathetic excuse and argument they can come up with on why they hate Tommy).

It's actually kind of sad, the CJ and SA fanbase has grown from cool mature fans, into 9 year old idiots who can't argue for sh*t and don the tough guy act saying that CJ is the greatest protagonist of all time.

Sorry if it may seem a little off topic, but it's actually true. 

• TheOtherRyan, Journey_95 and /\rdooZ like this

ChickenAndBeer
  • ChickenAndBeer

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:49 PM

agreed, tommy is much smarter then tony

Blaze
  • Blaze

time of your life, huh kid?

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:03 PM

I wouldn't say Tommy is a "rip off" of Scarface but the game was clearly heavily inspired by Scarface. For example, the Malibu Club looks alot like the Babylon Club. The Vercetti Estate looks like the mansion in Scarface (The images on the security TV's in the VC mansion are of the mansion in Scarface). Alot of the outfits Tommy and other characters wear bear a heavy resemblance to that of the characters in Scarface. Flashback FM features alot of the songs that were written for Scarface. Even the mission Keep Your Friends close looks alot like the ending of Scarface, so it's safe to assume that Scarface was a large inspiration for Vice City, which is probably why Apartment 3C was added to Vice City, presumably as a homage to Scarface.

MyDog
  • MyDog

Niko Bellic's my burazer

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:48 PM

Those things were added as homage to Scarface. Besides Scarface itself is not original but a remake.

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:21 PM

Those things were added as homage to Scarface. Besides Scarface itself is not original but a remake.

Yes, this is something the idiots who say VC is a rip off of Scarface doesn't know. Scarface is a remake of the a movie released a long time ago also called ''Scarface''.

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:22 PM

Being a rip-off or just being inspired by are 2 different things. I agree with blazeGTAS, you can`t miss that VC was heavily inspired by Scarface and Miami Vice but it is still a long way from being a rip-off.

In that case you could also say that SA is a rip-off of Boyz n the Hood or Menace II Society. Or LCS of Godfather (at least Salvatore Leone strongly resembles Vito Corleone and his background in his office) Or V of Ocean`s 11.

Almost every GTA game was inspired by some movie or TV series and have it`s references.

HeroBrineR007
  • HeroBrineR007

Perennials, Perennials everywhere!

• BUSTED!
  • Netherlands

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:35 PM

Flappy Doge was a rip off.
Vice City wasn't.

roadrage19
  • roadrage19

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:24 AM Edited by roadrage19, 29 September 2014 - 04:24 AM.

Yeah, I'm really not seeing any similarities between Tommy and Tony personality-wise. I mean sure Vice City was based on Scarface, but Tommy and Tony have completely different personalities.

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:31 PM

Yeah, I'm really not seeing any similarities between Tommy and Tony personality-wise. I mean sure Vice City was based on Scarface, but Tommy and Tony have completely different personalities.

Tony became an antagonist, he got addicted to cocaine and showed typical signs of drug filled rage. He became more pathetic an antagonistic, he was a bad guy. Tommy on the other hand was smart, intelligent, and a smart criminal. His anger could get the better of him sometimes (it does with everyone) but he maintains his cool.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:13 AM

Tony became an antagonist, he got addicted to cocaine and showed typical signs of drug filled rage. He became more pathetic an antagonistic, he was a bad guy. Tommy on the other hand was smart, intelligent, and a smart criminal. His anger could get the better of him sometimes (it does with everyone) but he maintains his cool.

Smart and smart? :p

Sure, Tommy gets mad, but I think he can control his anger aside from raising his voice. CJ blew up a construction site and buried a foreman alive because they harassed his sister. Tommy probably would've just yelled at them and left to do something else.

MrAlexVercetti
  • MrAlexVercetti

Loyal VC Player

• Members

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:53 PM

I agree with you. They probably had that last mission (the mansion shootout) in their minds.Can you believe that there were actualy some asholes they they hated the game because they thought it was a ripoff of Scarface?

Anyway in that case GTA VC is more ripoff of Miami Vice than scarface but i don`t give a crap about that. Ripoff or no ripoff the game was awesome, Tommy was awesome and that`s what matters to me.

I so agree with u MrVance, thats why Tommy is my most fave character among all those gta series games. thats why i wrote under my avi sayin loyal vc player. idc about gta 4 5, vc is all to me.. TOMMY IS THE BESTEST!!

HeroBrineR007
  • HeroBrineR007

Perennials, Perennials everywhere!

• BUSTED!
  • Netherlands

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:24 PM Edited by HeroBrineR007, 11 October 2014 - 09:24 PM.

I so agree with u MrVance, thats why Tommy is my most fave character among all those gta series games. thats why i wrote under my avi sayin loyal vc player. idc about gta 4 5, vc is all to me.. TOMMY IS THE BESTEST!!
Not true. TOMMY IS THE BESTEST THERE EVER WAS IN THE BESTESTEST TOWN CALLED VICE CITY!

hot-temper27
  • hot-temper27

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:14 PM

Yeah. I replayed Vice City and I don't see anything similarity to Tony Montana other than the fact that Tommy has a short temper. Tommy was actually more intelligent and cognizant, while Tony was uneducated and impulsive. Vice City may be influenced by Scarface, but by no means did Tommy rip off Tony Montana personality wise.

• TheOtherRyan likes this

90sGTA
  • 90sGTA

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:30 AM

People call anything that has very small similarities to the predecessor a ripoff. It's like nothing on earth can be made without these superficial folks accusing it of ripping off from something else.

lastmanonearth
  • lastmanonearth

Je suis Drunken Cowboy

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:57 AM

Until there`s a Scarface game coming out they can shut the f*ck up!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users