Quantcast

» «
Photo

Do you think this game should have real vehicles

51 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think this game need real vehicles? (140 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think GTA V needed to feature the real life counterparts of Rockstar's vehicles.

1. Yes. (12 votes [9.16%])

Percentage of vote: 9.16%

2. No. (119 votes [90.84%])

Percentage of vote: 90.84%

If the answer is No, why?

1. To keep the originality/tradition of the series. (102 votes [77.86%])

Percentage of vote: 77.86%

2. Because Rockstar's models look better. (14 votes [10.69%])

Percentage of vote: 10.69%

3. I voted yes. (15 votes [11.45%])

Percentage of vote: 11.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote
alex1369
  • alex1369

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

I voted no, because of tradition...

For those who want real life cars they will get the chance when the game comes for PC, simple!

• BLOOD-MOND likes this

Voit Turyv
  • Voit Turyv

Unique vehicle collector - not a bragger about this

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

I still have a feeling it's a troll topic...

Wylight
  • Wylight

GTA4Life!

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:22 PM Edited by Skizzo45, 22 July 2014 - 08:22 PM.

If there is anymore I can think of, I will be sure to add them. BTW...I voted no.

EDIT: Just thought of another one.....If R* could pull this off, then what would the modders work when re-creating vehicles for actual brands? 

Maybe scripting mods? Vehicle mods are not the only kind of mods out there and they could also make vehicles that Rockstar didn't add. Thought about that?

Also, a modders work will never be as good and consistent as what Rockstar can pull off. Sure a modders vehicle may have more detail and what not but it oftenly contain many unwanted things in my personal experience.

Most of the San Andreas vehicles I download I have to spend time tweaking out their handling, mass, height and so on because the modders made a sh*t job on that matter, like the tires sinking down in the ground or the car sliding all over the place.

I still have a feeling it's a troll topic...

I appreciate your input, but please, f*ck off.

clement_attlee
  • clement_attlee

Strawberry thug

• Members
  • Christmas-Island

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

If you want real vehicles don't you want real cities? 

In my opinion one of the best thing about the GTA series is the entierly new world.

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

No. Most every other car-based game has real cars. I like the creativity of these cars. They don't always look better, but they're always interesting.

For me, it would take away the feel of a GTA game if you get into a car and it says "Chevy Camaro" or "Dodge Ram".

• BLOOD-MOND likes this

AlabamaFatts
  • AlabamaFatts

The 32 Year Old Veteran - "I'm gettin' too old for

• Members

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:42 AM

Simply put, the main reason that Rockstar uses "fake" names for their cars and other businesses, is so that they don't have to pay the "real" companies to use their Trademark. If Rockstar were to name a vehicle, the Dodge Charger, they'd have to pay Dodge to use the naming rights. So, to save money and keep the game affordable for us, they use different names but make the cars as close to their real-life counterparts as possible. Anyways, they have the people on the forums that compile a list of what the cars real life counterparts are, and we can look at those to gauge what they were trying to show us. Absolutely genius on Rockstars' behalf. Plus, I'll guarantee that a good portion of what they spent on this game, went to paying the musicians of the music that they use. Anytime someone uses more than 15 seconds of a song, they are liable to pay royalties to that artist for using their material. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Rockstar actually paid them more than the going rate also, seeing as though so many people illegally copy and download music nowadays. If it keeps up like this the musicians wont be able to afford to continue making music. Sure, Jay-z and other music moguls have tons of cash, but there are many other musicians just scraping by because no one actually buys their music anymore. It just gets downloaded and shared amongst the masses.

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Onward towards the light

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most GIFted Member

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:18 AM

It just wouldn't be GTA if it didn't have the fake brand names, I would hate to see them go. 

Sofa
  • Sofa

innocent bystander

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:22 AM Edited by Sofa, 23 July 2014 - 07:08 AM.

I'm tempted to say that the question is quite dense.
Ooops guess i just did. Sorry no offence, this is what forums are for, mind you!

It is not possible outside of modding, reasons should be obvious, and have been mentioned....

One of my pet peeves is players who refer to cars as their real life look-alike. Just as refering to the combat mg as the m249 and so forth strikes me as wierdly tryhardish...

And, what's not to like about funny named brand names?

Pegassi bat(ty)i 8(B)0(i)1 hurr durr, sound like it has a uncomfortable seat no? Well maybe not for some.... Ducati or something as they called it.... Lol.

Mr. Tibbs
  • Mr. Tibbs

Liberal Hater

• Members
  • Cayman-Islands

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:24 AM

You want real-life models? Have fun paying $100 for the standard edition because of Rockstar buying all the rights to those designs, models, the brand name and logo, et cetera.

LeopardGecko
  • LeopardGecko

GTA biker

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

I´m not sure if that would be much better than what we already have.It would be cool to have a 100% accurate car,but there is no need for it,it´s an open world game,not a racing game.Also,since they started with fictional cars,why break the tradition,and if someone wants a real car,there will probably be a lot of mods for the PC version,just like there was with older GTA games like GTA 4,SA,VC...

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

Flat out no. GTA has always had these names that mock the real cars, just like they have stores that mock real-world counterparts. 

Let's not f*ck with that. It's worked well for years. 

I don't want to play Gran Turismo Auto, I want a game that's fun. 

• Sofa likes this

GTAmaster09
  • GTAmaster09

Kickstart My Heart

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:30 PM

No, because most of us have grown to love some, if not all of the GTA cars. Being 15, and having played GTA for 12 years, I wouldn't want my Bravado Banshee replaced with a Dodge Viper.

Bravado. United We Stand. Together We Fall.
  • BLOOD-MOND likes this

CarlitoDorito
  • CarlitoDorito

R* Defender (it's a joke)

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

Not just cars, everything real. Characters getting hungry and starving if you don't feed them. Bullet wounds take months to heal and you walk with a limp before physical therapy. That'll make it even real-er.

gtaxpert
  • gtaxpert

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:16 AM Edited by gtaxpert, 25 July 2014 - 06:17 AM.

Among PC GTA players it seems to be standard to mod in the real life counterparts, and I always think it looks so tacky. They don't fit in with the design of the rest of the world at all.

I actually voted 'Because Rockstar's models look better', because they do in the context of the rest of the gaming world. Apart from that, there is rarely only one real life counterpart to one GTA vehicle. It tends to be at least two.

TheKillerDonuts
  • TheKillerDonuts

But i'm a donut... I'm a pastry...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:25 AM

no

sparky66
  • sparky66

Trick

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:38 AM

Among PC GTA players it seems to be standard to mod in the real life counterparts, and I always think it looks so tacky. They don't fit in with the design of the rest of the world at all.
I actually voted 'Because Rockstar's models look better', because they do in the context of the rest of the gaming world. Apart from that, there is rarely only one real life counterpart to one GTA vehicle. It tends to be at least two.

I'm a pc player and would never replace rockstar's vehicles. Real vehicles just look wrong in the GTA setting. The cars are part of the 'vibe' of the game world. Rockstar's vehicles are pretty close to their real life counterparts anyway, it's not too hard to work out which real life vehicle (or vehicles) they are based on.
I quite like that with vehicles like the Phoenix, you can make them look like different real life vehicles depending how you tune them. Mine is black and gold like a Pontiac Firebird, my friends is red and white with the front grills removed and the big spoiler added to look like a Dodge Daytona. With real cars most manufacturers won't allow vehicle modding.

Look at driver San Francisco for an example of a similar game with real life vehicles. They had enough trouble getting vehicle licenses for a game purely about driving with no guns or hookers etc. can you imagine all the negative publicity a manufacturer would get if GTA had real cars. "Here is a picture of me in my Fiat 500 with a dead hooker".
  • gtaxpert likes this

one55
  • one55

Nigguh!

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:13 AM Edited by one55, 25 July 2014 - 11:14 AM.

No.

GTA is a parody. That's why the city is called Los Santos and not Los Angeles. That's why the iFruit phone is not called the iPhone. That's why you have companies called ProLAPS. That's why you have internet cafes called Tw@t (I know they aren't in V). 

Everything in GTA games is making fun of something in the real world. I know the car names aren't making fun of anything but it just adds to the whole feel of the game. It'd be a bit stupid to have all these parody names then have the real names for cars.

Plus, it saves Rockstar the headache of having to deal with copyrights and licenses etc. If Rockstar wanted to put Ferrari's, BMW's, Lamborghini's, Audi's etc in the game then all of these companies would want Rockstar to pay them money. Same goes for if they model the cars exactly after real life cars. It'll just through up a lot of unnecessary sh*t to deal with. It doesn't hurt to change them about anyway to make something old feel a bit new and unique.

Personally, I like it the way it is and I would really not like it to ever change. It's what makes the game so great.

• BLOOD-MOND and IanE55 like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

Not just cars, everything real. Characters getting hungry and starving if you don't feed them. Bullet wounds take months to heal and you walk with a limp before physical therapy. That'll make it even real-er.

I think that would make it too real. It would make it a chore to play. 

Having to eat was one of the worst things about San Andreas. Imagine you're out in the desert, nothing around for a good while, and you get that 'eat or death' reminder. In San An, where you could often be stuck without a car in sight, it was just plain annoying. V doesn't need that. It needs to be fun, it needs to be an experience that's not mired in grinding in one way or another - feeding your character is unnecessary grind. 

But that's off topic. 

As far as real-world brands of any kind go, I don't think they would fit - they remove the layer of mocking, the satire, which is one of the key factors in GTA's ongoing success. Let's not f*ck with a winning formula. 

sparky66
  • sparky66

Trick

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

When driver San Francisco used real cars they spent a huge amount of time and effort obtaining car licenses. Time and effort which could have been used on improving gameplay. Plus most manufacturers imposed strict rules on what could be done with their vehicles. Some actually dropped out later during development as they couldn't be satisfied, some of the hidden removed vehicles are still in the game files.

Most problems came from the fact that the manufactures viewed the game as a giant advertisement, so wanted to show off their latest models in a positive light all the time.
Damage had to be toned down, it's more noticeable on some vehicles than others.
A condition of the Fiat group license (which includes Maserati, Alfa Romeo and Abarth) was that Alfa Giuliettas and Mitos must spawn in traffic, even though they are not sold in America.
Aston Martin made them add the Cygnet to traffic, even though they are really rare in real life they were everywhere in game.
Some vehicles had unrealistic performance as they didn't want their vehicles to be shown as being worse than their competitors.
They weren't allowed to show cars in a state of disrepair like the Emperor in GTA, every vehicle had to be pristine. So no rust or wear even on older vehicles.
Most manufacturers demanded highly detailed models, which meant the game couldn't handle too many vehicle types at once, which resulted in the same vehicles spawning in traffic over and over, which is even more obvious with real vehicles than with GTAs fake ones.
They still had to make a couple of generic fake vehicles to be used in situations where no manufacturer would allow their vehicles to be used. They weren't obtainable by the player but were often used by ai and usually depicted getting blown up or used for some crime.

These are all things GTA doesn't have to worry about.

IanE55
  • IanE55

Stuck in Vice City.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Mexico

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

Nein.

hotrider567
  • hotrider567

PC Master Race

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:12 AM Edited by hotrider567, 27 July 2014 - 06:22 AM.

Go play Midnight Club LA or Driver SF if you want real cars

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Lt Phill Bellic. Law Enforcement Enthusiast.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

To be honest, I have real life vehicles in my copy of GTA IV. Most of the police vehicle slots are being used by various Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge vehicles.

Cheers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users