Fishkeeping Hobby

14 replies to this topic
Punk-in-Drublic
  • Punk-in-Drublic

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:11 PM

Anyone else have an aquarium set up? I've recently, within the past 6 months or so, set up a small aquarium, started it off as a cold water aquarium but moved on to tropical. I currently have a small ish (21 litre) aquarium. I have a small nano heater, air stone/pump and filter. Decorated with natural rock and an underwater bonsai tree. It looks pretty good but I'm preparing to get a bigger aquarium soon, I'm thinking 3x bigger than this!

As for fish, I have quite a large angel fish, which is really quite laid back and graceful, got four small tiger barbs, a Hong Kong pleco/loach and one of those weird little orange elephant snails. Funnily enough my tiger barbs are really well behaved around my angel fish, even though they're well known fin nippers.

If this thread takes off I'll post a pic of my current set up

Any marine fish keepers? Always been interested in the marine aquarium

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:12 PM

I used to have a fishbowl with some goldfish I got at a county fair but then they died a few months later.

• Oddsock likes this

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

http://gabenislife.com/

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

Used to have a medium sized aquarium at home.

Only had it for a few months, it wasn't mine but a family members. The novelty wore off for them so they just sold it. 

It's something I may want to get into for myself some day, if you take care of it it's quite a beautiful thing. 

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

I used to have tropical fish when I was about 15 or 16 but I think I was too young and immature to take care fo them properly enough. I had some neon tetras, a siamese fighting fish and a bottome feeder. Had some yellow daneas as well. I think they were called that. Can't quite remember. I wouldn't mind getting more fish again at a future point however it is alot of money to get properly set up.

Johan
  • Johan

• Members
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA]

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:21 PM

I tried many times, obviously in small steps.. but back then I didn't really care about taking care of them as much as I do now.

Will definitely try it again near the future.

Punk-in-Drublic
  • Punk-in-Drublic

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:28 PM

It's something I may want to get into for myself some day, if you take care of it it's quite a beautiful thing. 

It really is mate, and super easy to maintain, I do partial water changes (quarter of the tank) about once per month and clean the filter twice per month.

I used to have tropical fish when I was about 15 or 16 but I think I was too young and immature to take care fo them properly enough. I had some neon tetras, a siamese fighting fish and a bottome feeder. Had some yellow daneas as well. I think they were called that. Can't quite remember. I wouldn't mind getting more fish again at a future point however it is alot of money to get properly set up.

Not necessarily, check e-Bay or local buy/sell/swap sites or Freecycle, my dad got a 3 foot tank, filter and heater off some guy for free!

Nordniedersachse
  • Nordniedersachse

Sonnensänger

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:37 AM Edited by Preusse, 21 July 2014 - 12:41 AM.

When I was around 12, I had an aquarium with 2 yellow-bellied sliders. They were cool, but I lost interest.
4gn77o.gif
(Google image)

Me and my brother used to catch all the animals (a few of each species) in home ditches when we were kids, that's why I would like to own a cold water biotope aquarium with all the small animals and plants that live here in ponds and ditches, but I guess it's not easy to have a working and well balanced biotope aquarium with very limited animal populations due to lack of space. Oh look, only the water snails are left, the other species have eaten each other and died out, again.

But I hate cleaning aquariums, so I probably will never get me an aquarium again.

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:13 AM

My little sister has an aquariam, That had 10 guppies and a pleco.

So far 9 guppies and the pleco died.

Killzone3265
  • Killzone3265

Kodama

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:26 AM

welp about 12 yearsish ago we had quite the aquarium for a single gold fish, like a 20 gallon long

it died 

now its been transformed into my dragons home, but he'll be getting a new place soon as he is more than half the length of the tank now

Wayne Daniels
  • Wayne Daniels

Cattle Rustler

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

I had an aquarium a few months ago with some fish and I tried so hard to breed them with no luck. I looked after them so well but one of them got sick. He turned into like some sort of zombie fish...he started to discolour, his eyes went really red and then some sort of fuzzy/fluffy sh*t started spreading over it's eyes.
After that I was going to try and convert it into a salt water aquarium and get an Octopus but I couldn't be bothered and I'd probably wake up with an Octopus sucking on my face.
Now the aquarium has soil on the bottom with plants in it. They thrive under that aquarium lamp.

MIGta
  • MIGta

• Members
  • England

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

I tried keeping fish for a few years but they kept dying.  One stayed alive for quite some time but the light on the tank broke and we didn't have the enthusiasm to keep it clean so we just gave it away. 

I now have 2 Herman tortoises instead.  Much more fun and enjoyable to look after imo.  And hopefully a lot more durable!  They should outlive me as they are only a year or so old.  One is 5.5 cm the other 3.5 cm.

Jeone
  • Jeone

R.A.S.H

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:56 PM Edited by Jeone, 22 July 2014 - 12:32 AM.

I had some goldfish but they died I also had a some piranhas but I had to get rid of them becuse they kept eating each other so I had to get rid of them

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

I did South American Cichlids for years. Fish tanks are great.

I no longer have any indoor tanks but I do keep a koi pond. My fish are probably older than most GTAF members.

CenMan
  • CenMan

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:56 PM Edited by CenMan, 21 July 2014 - 08:28 PM.

I've had numerous aquariums and I've bred discus fish for money (very profitable once you get it right). I know almost everything there is to know about freshwater aquariums. I'm very interested in creating micro-ecosystems that can sustain themselves as much as possible. If you get it right, you can have an aquarium where you only have to add water because some of it evaporates, and clean the filter about once every 3 months. I don't have anything set up right now though, because I'm getting close to moving and I don't want to go through the hassle of moving an aquarium with contents.

I have great respect for Takashi Amano, a Japanese aquarium designer. Here's some of his work.

takashi-amano-2.jpg

bigtank.jpg

amanotank.jpg

^^ These are discus fish, I'm actually not sure if that's what they're called in English.

takashiamanoacuario3_2.jpg

Edit: Actually I don't think the last one was made by Takashi Amano, because I spot a rotting leaf. :p

Punk-in-Drublic
  • Punk-in-Drublic

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

^ Wow, that's amazing mate, I'd love an aquarium like that!

I'm thinking of getting this, or something like this when I have spare cash:

dr2B2Vt.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users