Quantcast

» «
Photo

We Built This City [How Were You Intro'd to the GTA Universe?]

89 replies to this topic

Poll: How Were You Introduce to the World of GTA? (256 member(s) have cast votes)

How Were You Introduce to the World of GTA?

1. Grand Theft Auto (1) (43 votes [16.80%])

Percentage of vote: 16.80%

2. Grand Theft Auto: London (5 votes [1.95%])

Percentage of vote: 1.95%

3. Grand Theft Auto 2 (31 votes [12.11%])

Percentage of vote: 12.11%

4. Grand Theft Auto III (65 votes [25.39%])

Percentage of vote: 25.39%

5. Grand Theft Auto Vice City (55 votes [21.48%])

Percentage of vote: 21.48%

6. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (42 votes [16.41%])

Percentage of vote: 16.41%

7. Grand Theft Auto Advance (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Grand Theft Auto IV (13 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

9. Grand Theft Auto Ballad of Gay Tony and/or Lost & Damned (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Grand Theft Auto V and/or GTA Online (2 votes [0.78%])

Percentage of vote: 0.78%

Which of the GTA franchises has been your personal favorite?

1. Grand Theft Auto (1 votes [0.39%])

Percentage of vote: 0.39%

2. Grand Theft Auto London (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Grand Theft Auto 2 (3 votes [1.17%])

Percentage of vote: 1.17%

4. Grand Theft Auto III (18 votes [7.03%])

Percentage of vote: 7.03%

5. Grand Theft Auto Vice City (45 votes [17.58%])

Percentage of vote: 17.58%

6. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (62 votes [24.22%])

Percentage of vote: 24.22%

7. Grand Theft Auto Advance (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Grand Theft Auto IV (66 votes [25.78%])

Percentage of vote: 25.78%

9. Grand Theft Auto Ballad of Gay Tony and/or Lost & Damned (7 votes [2.73%])

Percentage of vote: 2.73%

10. Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars (2 votes [0.78%])

Percentage of vote: 0.78%

11. Grand Theft Auto V and/or GTA Online (52 votes [20.31%])

Percentage of vote: 20.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote
AceThaCreator
  • AceThaCreator

All Things DOPE

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:46 PM

I first started with GTA Vice City back in 04' when it was out for xbox because i didn't play PS2. I remember buying it in gamestop and can even tell you how blown away i was when i first played it. It was like nothing i ever play and saw before. I just loved how free and open it felt and just being able to do what you want unlike some games which are linear.

A new later, San Andreas came out for the Xbox and i remember being hyped for the game when game informer made a magazine which i still own about all the features that were included. At the time, i was just like WOW games have come a Loooooong way and when first playing San Andreas, i couldn't stop playing and didn't play any other games for a while and this game sealed the deal for me for the series. I feel that this R* put their ALL into this game and was never able to outdo themselves with this game as far as the number of cities, game modes, and various features were loaded into this game.

I tried the stories but just couldn't get into them & earlier this year tried III for the first time and BOY is that game hard. GTA IV & the episodes were prettt good but could've been better although i understand that it was their first game on that gen. V story wise was alright, nothing special but imo Online is where its at because R* pretty much put most of their time and energy into this portion of the game. Sure Online has its fair share of problems put most come back and play because of the freedom factor and just being able to do what you want, when you want. And most content they gave away was free which most gaming companies make their consumers pay out the ass. I will definitely be getting GTA VI for the current gen when it comes out and can say that i
have enjoyed this franchise and rank it in my top 3 of all time.

sammystarock
  • sammystarock

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:48 PM Edited by mistersam, 20 October 2014 - 07:48 PM.

i'm disappointed at the lack of LCS and VCS in the polls.

That's what happens when a game is exclusive to the consoles of one brand.

The first GTA I played was GTA 2, 6 years ago. I started to play GTA San Andreas 2 or 3 years later and it took me a few hours of gameplay to realize that I should play Vice City too. The same thing happened with GTA III. So basically I fell in love so fast with each game that I went back and started to play its predecessor to then play its successor. Quite confusing, isn't it? Later, about 2 years ago, I bought GTA IV and EFLC, GTA IV being my favorite GTA.

Brock Elvis
  • Brock Elvis

Petition: Noticed

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:36 PM

My avatar gives the answer to both questions.

• W4RLORD likes this

PoeticWhisper
  • PoeticWhisper

Owner of Up-n-Atom Diner, Paleto Bay

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • None

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:40 AM

Vice City was my first GTA.

I was pretty young, back in that day I spent a lot of time playing Driv3r but never owned it. Played it at a friends house all the time because it was a lot like GTA. Back in the day my parents didn't want me playing GTA, so I avoided it. I was a good kid. After a while, they decided to buy me and my brother Vice City. I was hesitant for some reason, but when I finally got down to play it it was love at first sight. I played it for house, nonsensical fun. I loved it. Went and got GTA III as well and played them both to death. I used to play before and after school almost 24/7. 

When I heard about San Andreas coming out I was stoked, but when my mom heard about the "hot coffee" problem, she told me I would have to skip this one. It took a lot of convincing and begging but I finally got it. My god was it just the best experience ever as a kid. I used to have road trips from Grove street, all the way through Downtown, Whetstone, San Fierro, Tierra Robodna, Las Venturas, Red County and back into Grove all the time. It was just stupid fun. I remember once I was hanging with Denise while my dad was in the room talking to my brother. I took her home and it asked me if I wanted to come in for coffee. Dumbass kid me expected they'd actually have coffee. Nope, they started f*cking and I had to mute the TV as fast as I could. LOL. It ws really awkward when I was like 10 years old. Unfortunatley I got my game stolen like 4 times. Someone clearly wanted it more than me. Shame.

Took me a while to get GTA IV actually. My friends got it first day and it blew my mind how great the graphics were. I didn't get an Xbox 360 until like Christmas 2009, so I was a little late to the party. I didn't get GTA IV until like Mid 2010, but I enjoyed it. It's not my favorite GTA but I did enjoy it enough to beat it twice. I just had a lot of fine driving around, doing unusual stuff.

And, GTA V. I pre-ordered months before man. I was so hyped for this game, I counted down the days. I stood away from any videos, gameplay anything other than trailers and screenshots. I was blown away with this game. I've spent more hours on this game than I think any GTA I've played so far. Still very much enjoy it and cannot wait until I get an Xbox One so I can play the CG version.

LeakyLine
  • LeakyLine

VS/PBMO

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:01 AM

It was the year 2006, and my brother had brought home a PS2 and some games. GTA III was one of them. I asked if I could try it, and I fell in love with it. I was 8 years old. To this day GTA has been my favorite series, and i've played GTA, GTA 2. GTA VC, GTA SA, LCS, VCS, all three of the IV games, and V. Never played Advance though.

Rejeckted
  • Rejeckted

Serenity

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Contribution Award [GFX]
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:05 AM

Gta VC was the first Gta game I played in maybe the year 2005-06 and I was just shocked By the things we could do in the game;I was Literally amazed by it.Day by Day my Interest in Gta got Higher and Higher and Today I am one of the Greatest Fans of Gta series sharing and learning new things of Gta games with you good peoples around here.

I love all the grand theft auto games I have played.But I will have to say that IV is the one that brought me to these Forums.

Bender
  • Bender

Swiss Army Dildo

• Daily Globe
  • Netherlands
  • Best Kitchen Appliance 2016

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:17 AM Edited by RandomStunt, 21 October 2014 - 09:18 AM.

my brother introduced me to gta i guess when he was playing it himself.

then i only played GTA SA untill 2011-2012 where i bought GTA IV. when i completed GTA IV i wanted EFLC, and then the rest, GTA III, VC, etc.

and now i have a collection of GTA games. the only GTA Game i yet don't have/didn't play is advance.

Legomanarthur
  • Legomanarthur

We all want peace! But my peace, not their f*cking peace

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:39 AM

I started playing GTA at the age of 5/6 if I remember correctly, with GTA III. :inlove:

At first I played it with a friend on PS2 (it wasn't mine so I had to play it inside his house) that was quite fun. :)

Then my parents bought the game on PC and that was the moment I really got into GTA, I played III so many times that I know almost everything by heart. :pp

I still remember when I was still stuck on Portland, I was trying to pass the Subway station fence with a firetruck (nothing wrong with me  :p ) with my friend who kept telling me that I would never pass it, but the seconds later, my firetruck managed to pass it/ghost it (it was a glitch) haha! :D

Then I played Vice City on PC, then San Andreas and LCS/VCS with IV and its DLC until V. They were all great games (I should say awesome) but III is and will always be my favorite GTA of all time! :D

Special Members
  • Special Members

Plata O Plomo

• Members
  • Albania

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:59 AM

I first watched my 2 years older cousin play San Andreas when I was 9. When I was 10, I played LCS. I'll always remember high-jacking an old lady, just as my dad came in. He startled me, making me accidentaly decapitate her.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:44 AM

I was an early adopter, I picked up GTA (O.G. top down, #1) on release day. Hooked ever since. I've never completed more than a handful of missions in the original game, though. I clocked the game by just rampaging, stealing and selling cars, and generally being a dick. The ability to complete the game based on the money you 'earned' was a great option. 

OfficialTwiggz
  • OfficialTwiggz

Typical Assh*le

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:29 PM

Player since 1997, the release of the original GTA.

I was six years old and was at Best Buy with my parents. Or might have been Circuit City. Or Sam's Club or some big store that also had video games. But I remember seeing the cover. And had no idea what it was about. But this was when burning video games weren't illegal and punishable by death or a thousand years in prison, but thags besides the point.

My parents bought me the game, and my older brother and I played the hell out of it.

Then GTA 2 came out. Same thing, we had a blast.

GTA 3 could be the only one I never really got into. I was a late bloomer when getting a Ps2, so I would always go to a friend's house to play it. I still remember him calling me a freeloader and I had no idea what it meant.

My cousin bought me vice city, and that's the game I got 100% on, by myself. I loved the hell out of that game.

Then came True Crime, The 3D Driver series etc, played the sh*t out of those.

Now San Andreas. I pre ordered it (er, my parents did)

I got it the day before release from Eb Games, it was picture day at school too. My mom was mad because we waited from like 4pm until 8pm to get it.

I invited some friends to play before school the next day. I was the talk of the town in gym class.

I pre ordered IV by myself via the internet. Had my own job, and was a few months shy of turning 17, so I kept wondering if the UPS guy was gonna check my ID or something. I had my mother write a note.

V, I unfortunately didn't own a console because I was homeless and living with a friend of mine. Sold every thing I owned due to a bad break up. But my friend I grew up with took me in, and he had a PS3. He pre ordered and we smoked a joint on release day (midnight)

That's my GTA story.

W4RLORD
  • W4RLORD

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:21 PM Edited by W4RLORD, 21 October 2014 - 03:21 PM.

NOT voting until you put GTA: VCS and GTA: LCS in the poll.

• Bender likes this

Undyne
  • Undyne

Incidentally Electronically Erased

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:33 PM

Vice City was my first. My 8 year old self was fascinated by the bright colours and freedom.

MythicalCreature
  • MythicalCreature

meh

• Members
  • Bangladesh

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:47 AM Edited by bengalboy_0701, 22 October 2014 - 01:51 AM.

My GTA history dates just as back as my gaming history. Back in the day when I was 8, my uncle got me a few ps1 and ps2 era games from somewhere, a pack that included games like Mortal Kombat 4, Midtown Madness, FIFA 98, and GTA VC. I started with FIFA 98 and moved on to other games that very day, playing with my cousin until I noticed, " 'Vice City'? This could be interesting..." having no idea what it was (cousin played it before though) we started it up. Thank goodness we did. It was the best ever game I had ever played, being one of the first games. I loved the idea that I could pick any car, drive anywhere, Vice Beach... Hell, exploring everything in the city got me goosebumps. I was hooked on it and went on to play for the next 5 months. Used to start at 8am in the morning and finish up in 9pm, spare the time for eating, bathing and other stuff. Until my PC broke and I lost all my data, including the games... I was cracking at VC, made it to the assets (still remember how hard my heart was beating when I finished 'Rub Out', I won't be forgetting that) and almost thought the game was near its end so reasonably, I was sad.
4 years later, I bought a disc for a game titled "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas". I'd heard of SA from a friend before, so this time, I knew what I was getting. Turned out I didn't. Los Santos was a damn miracle, it felt so perfect, the first mission was epic, and little 12-year old me was fascinated by the fact that you could mod cars, get haircuts, buy clothes and ride trains, etc. Never made it past the 'OG Loc' though, probably has something to do with my PC speed, but I didn't really care.
I had seen GTA III briefly on the same cousin's computer the year prior, but I only had played 'Give me Liberty' and 'Luigi's girls', no map to look at put me off, though something about the game made me think, 'hey, is this LC? (we all know I was right)' I had no idea how LC would be, nor did the game redress it's name (accidentally skipped the cutscene), but that wasn't my priority. All I did was ride the El through Saint Mark's, Chinatown...
I learnt all about the GTA universe later on while looking for SA cheats. Then only I realized what else I missed in my experiences of the games (VC and SA played no sound, said I didn't have a sound card. I didn't know Radio stations existed, for crying out loud! :panic:). I came to learn of the existence of 1, 2, IV, EFLC and V, neither of which I've played or obtained, yet...
3 months ago I got a new PC, and installed SA first thing. This time around it was a much better experience. Radio Stations! Finally. Missions that took me exhaustingly long to first time were much easier to control and finish this time thanks to the PC speed. Went all the way to 100, twice in 3 months! My friends playing the same game are all shocked.
I played CTW first on an emulator a long time ago (don't judge me, I didn't know it was illegal). Bought the game afterwards, though. Now looking for a copy of VC, god I miss that game!

UrbanAdventuring
  • UrbanAdventuring

Map Maker

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:37 AM Edited by UrbanAdventuring, 22 October 2014 - 11:45 AM.

I was more into sports games, RPGs and sim/strategy games in 2006, when I decided to pick up a copy of Bully at Wal-Mart over a soccer game.  (That was a really good decision in hindsight.  I don't even like soccer.)   I loved Bully, and to this day it is one of my favorite games.  I wanted more of the Bully fix, and figured I would get into GTA since it was supposed to have a similar open world format.  The reputation of the games was mostly exaggerated, as I can see in hindsight.  No more swearing and sex than any movie, and very little graphic violence (blood puddles and sniper decapitations.)   I just liked the idea of exploring a modern city like I did medieval fantasy dungeons and countrysides in games like Zelda or JRPGs.   Sex with hookers was definitely a different gaming experience.  I think Jack Thompson and others feeding into the "evil GTA" meme had some issues to resolve...

GTA III was my first.  I really wanted to pick up Vice City at Gamestop, and didn't even know GTA 3 existed.  I'm glad I picked it up by mistake.  The city was well done for a game made in 2001.  It was nice to have a game world without as many barriers.  Vice City came next, and became an instant favorite of mine, since I like the 80s time period so much (especially when I lived in it.)  San Andreas really let loose on the game play aspect.  It's a close second now.  I just think swimming would have been nicer to introduce in, I don't know, a city based off of Miami?  HD era games just don't have the same magic the 3D era ones had.  I still play them though.

MilezDawg
  • MilezDawg

No Jones No Stones

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:34 AM Edited by MilezDawg, 23 October 2014 - 07:02 AM.

GTA1 was my introduction into The GTA Universe back when I rented it for the PS1 on the weekend in 1997. I than got GTA1, GTA London 61 and 69 for my PC right after that, but it was more of a niche game for me. I never finished those though, just random killing sprees. GTA2 was the first GTA I finished to completion in 1999 for the PS1. Me and my friends used to see who could maintain the longest cop chase and killing sprees without getting busted or wasted. I had always imagined if DMA Design/R* could take GTA the next step and make it in 3D, kinda like Driver but with on foot moments.
In 2001, my sophmore year in High School, the wish was granted. GTA3 was everything I had always wanted to do in a video game. I totally forgot about my Nintendo roots and became a strictly Playstation player so I could gorge on GTA. I've purchased every GTA since (minus GTA Advance) and completed them to 100% many times. I love every single one of them, but GTA3 will always be my favorite. It brings back great memories to this day.

Tonesta
  • Tonesta

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:11 PM

So my GTA story is a bit different.

In September 2012, I'd never played a GTA game. I hadn't owned a console since 2007 when I'd moved overseas and given my PS2 to a friend (and even before then, I'd only really played sports games). The same friend was himself moving away, and gave me my PS2 back - complete with GTAIII, which he had bought and recommended as being awesome.

I very nearly gave the thing away immediately again, but curiosity got the better of me and I gave GTAIII a go. Needless to say, I got completely and utterly hooked on the freedom, the story, the characters and the chaos. When I had nearly finished GTAIII, I bought San Andreas (and the advantage of coming to the party eight years late is that you can get games really cheaply!). When that was nearly finished, I went out and bought a PS3 and GTAIV. By the time I was done with TBOGT......well, a year had passed and GTAV was about to come out. I've been playing that since!

And personally, after playing them all in that order in a very compressed time period, GTAV is my favourite. Variety and detail is what I love about these games, and the latest installment (unsurprisingly, given the technical advances) has the biggest and best combination of those.

My only regret: I should have found a way to fit Vice City in, rather than jump straight to San Andreas. It's too late to go back now!

Johnny Spaz
  • Johnny Spaz

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:29 PM

VCS was my introduction to GTA when my cousin gave it to me for the PS2, after that i bought SA, III and i downloaded Vice City, i didn't even know IV existed until i played it at a friend's house, i remember how awesome i felt the graphics were so i bought myself a PS3 and got IV. Then EFLC and blah, blah, blah. So yeah i haven't played 1, 2 or any of the London ones.

JumpingKentFlash
  • JumpingKentFlash

Homeboy

• Members
  • Denmark

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:55 PM

A friend from school had a demo of GTA 1. That was my first time trying it. Switch to 1999 and I bought a PS1. One of the first games I had was GTA 1 and GTA 2. Then I bought a ps2 in 2001 and I bought GTA 3 just for the cover. Had no idea they made a third game, so I just went with it. That was when I got hooked. I enjoyed GTA 1 and 2 and London 69, but I wasn't a fan. That came with GTA 3, and I've bought every game on release day since. Not just GTA eother. Almost all R* titles have been bought on release day since. Including the awful Smugglers Run and Dtate of Emergency. Never got around to Table Tennis though.

Professor SmackaDabbah
  • Professor SmackaDabbah

Dananananananana she really loves to break

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:46 PM

When I was young I bought Vice City because I thought it looked like Simpsons Hit & Run. Boy was I in for a surprise..

• W4RLORD likes this

NinjaHenrike
  • NinjaHenrike

“He was trying to buy more sand for his hourglass. I wasn't

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:03 PM

There is no option for LCS,that was the first GTA I played
GTA VC and GTA4 are my favorites
  • W4RLORD likes this

fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic Creator 2016
    Contribution Award [GTAO]

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:00 PM

Was going to make a new thread, but then remembered this one, so please forgive the bump.

At Gamestop today with my teenage son, we met a kid about 8-10 years old.
He was in line behind us with his dad, who was making him sell his copy of GTAV.

I asked the dad why they were selling it, and he explained it was actually his game and his son was NOT allowed to play it.
However, he started noticing his $GTA was really low, cars were disappearing, and he had an apartment he never bought.
Turns out, his kid was playing GTAV when he wasn't home and without permission.

He said me his kid was now swearing and quoting comments that only came from the game, which is how he figured it out.

I had to hold back my laughter, because clearly the dad was ticked off. The kid looked really embarrassed.
But still, my introduction to the GTA universe was SO different, as was my own kid's.

I just never imagined that a kid would be that sneaky and lie to play GTAV, yet make classic mistakes like selling cars. LOL!
Admittedly, I gave the dad credit – getting rid of the game, saying he didn't want it in the house anymore.

Sidenote: I overheard them selling it to Gamestop, who offered $15 in like-new condition or $10 in used.
There's, of course, was in used condition. <sigh>

Gettin up
  • Gettin up

Peon

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:27 AM Edited by Gettin up, 16 April 2017 - 12:27 AM.

First GTA I bought was GTA 2 on PC and I used to play it a lot.

V has been my favorite GTA so far and Online is what has kept me for playing it so long

• fw3 likes this

Dan_1983
  • Dan_1983

Thug

• Members

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:30 PM Edited by Dan_1983, 16 April 2017 - 02:31 PM.

It was watching my brother play GTA III that got me into it. Been hooked ever since of course, and GTA IV, SA and VC are my favourite games..

• fw3 likes this

KYX
  • KYX

This is the best member title i could think of

• Members
  • Venezuela

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:42 PM Edited by KYX, 16 April 2017 - 03:45 PM.

Vice City, 2002. I heard about the GTA franchise before, but it was Vice City the one that i first played, and it was a beautiful discovery. Then i played San Andreas, then GTA III, then the stories... The rest is history.

It was love at first play.
  • fw3 likes this

Steezy.
  • Steezy.

Dimension Shifter

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:57 PM

The first gta game I played was GTA2 on the Ps1, however it was Vice City that really got me into the series. San Andreas is my all time favorite, and now that I've recently got into III I'm starting to like it a lot now too.

MakeAmericaGreatAgain
  • MakeAmericaGreatAgain

British and Proud

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:06 AM Edited by MakeAmericaGreatAgain, 17 April 2017 - 03:06 AM.

VC on PS2!

c

Toreno6901
  • Toreno6901

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:45 AM

GTA 2 first then i played some San Andreas .

Sir Michael
  • Sir Michael

Taking a break.

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:44 AM

I got into the series with GTA III. My friend brought the game over and we started playing on my brother's PS2. The obvious thing to do was to go on a rampage.. I mean, what else were we going to do? It also helped that my parents didn't really care about what I played growing up.

Anyway, my favorite so far is San Andreas, but IV and its DLC aren't that far behind.

• MiamiViceCity likes this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:53 PM

Bought Vice City, Vice City Stories, and San Andreas for the ps2 back when ps2 games were being phased out as the ps3 had come out. Got them all cheap.

Vice City disc was broke but I had a lot of fun with the other two, especially San Andreas, even today San Andreas is very entertaining, truly a masterpiece in gaming.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users