Quantcast

» «
Photo

We Built This City [How Were You Intro'd to the GTA Universe?]

103 replies to this topic

Poll: How Were You Introduce to the World of GTA? (297 member(s) have cast votes)

How Were You Introduce to the World of GTA?

1. Grand Theft Auto (1) (49 votes [16.50%])

Percentage of vote: 16.50%

2. Grand Theft Auto: London (5 votes [1.68%])

Percentage of vote: 1.68%

3. Grand Theft Auto 2 (34 votes [11.45%])

Percentage of vote: 11.45%

4. Grand Theft Auto III (71 votes [23.91%])

Percentage of vote: 23.91%

5. Grand Theft Auto Vice City (65 votes [21.89%])

Percentage of vote: 21.89%

6. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (57 votes [19.19%])

Percentage of vote: 19.19%

7. Grand Theft Auto Advance (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Grand Theft Auto IV (13 votes [4.38%])

Percentage of vote: 4.38%

9. Grand Theft Auto Ballad of Gay Tony and/or Lost & Damned (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars (1 votes [0.34%])

Percentage of vote: 0.34%

11. Grand Theft Auto V and/or GTA Online (2 votes [0.67%])

Percentage of vote: 0.67%

Which of the GTA franchises has been your personal favorite?

1. Grand Theft Auto (1 votes [0.34%])

2. Grand Theft Auto London (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Grand Theft Auto 2 (3 votes [1.01%])

Percentage of vote: 1.01%

4. Grand Theft Auto III (20 votes [6.73%])

Percentage of vote: 6.73%

5. Grand Theft Auto Vice City (50 votes [16.84%])

Percentage of vote: 16.84%

6. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (83 votes [27.95%])

Percentage of vote: 27.95%

7. Grand Theft Auto Advance (1 votes [0.34%])

8. Grand Theft Auto IV (72 votes [24.24%])

Percentage of vote: 24.24%

9. Grand Theft Auto Ballad of Gay Tony and/or Lost & Damned (8 votes [2.69%])

Percentage of vote: 2.69%

10. Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars (2 votes [0.67%])

Percentage of vote: 0.67%

11. Grand Theft Auto V and/or GTA Online (57 votes [19.19%])

Percentage of vote: 19.19%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

GTA 2 was the first GTA.
But, GTA Vice City had that feeling, amazing atmosphere, story, characters, awesome score, well written lines, and a terrific protagonist in a beautiful setting and decent map that's full of fun things to do; An Outstanding GTA for me!
  • Lock N' Stock likes this

Severe
  • Severe

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

Let's see, got GTA from a neighbour, back in the good old days with no piracy protection of any kind, pretty just used it for messing around, with cheats on and so forth. Sold a lot of cars I recall. Got London the same way, played it the same as well.

GTA 2 was probably the first I played 'as intended', doing the missions and so on. Or rather, I did a couple of missions, to get some multipliers, then did rounds on the highway in a tank.

Never really got into 3 a lot at the time, only had a sh*tty cracked version that didn't quite work if I remember correctly. Plus, it ran like sh*t on my PC, probably because it was a cracked version. Because when I later on got my hands on Vice City, it ran fine. And yeah, VC I got cracked as well. Loved the everliving sh*t out of that game, even though I believe the cracked version didn't even have music.

SA I got as cracked, initially, but it became the first GTA I bought, still on the PC.

Never got around to LCS or VCS because I was still a PC-*** (well, with regards to GTA anyhow).

At first, I held off on IV, until TLaD was announced, then decided it was time to become a console-*** and bought an Xbox and IV. I later on bought IV for PC as well (twice), but I think it does better on console.

Hence, V was bought for console and will likely be bought again, when I get a PS4.

But yeah, been quite a ride.

• BLOOD likes this

BLOOD
  • BLOOD

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None
  • Take-Two Analyst of the Year

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:28 PM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 20 July 2014 - 06:33 PM.

It must be weird,been a franchise that went from a Strict Topdown Perspective with 2D-semi 3D-ish graphics with Openworld Gameplay into one that is now a living world/parody and the master of an entire genre,Damn GTA is really weird...but anyways,i was a Sega kid back in those days so i never had a Sony Console (or the PS2,and the Original Xbox) until 2008,when i started with IV till now,and since then i am in love with this legendary franchise (V being the best imo),along with the Gears of War franchise :)

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Daily Globe
  • Serbia
  • Contribution Award [DYOM]

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:52 PM

My friend showed me GTA 2, he was playing and i was watching though i didn't want to play it (Still don't know why), i enjoyed watching it. First i got and played was Vice City, and then shortly after (maybe a year), SA came out and got it too. That's how it started.

P.S: VC is still my favorite.

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

My first GTA was III at 6, which my cousin accidentally downloaded instead of an emulated version of Golden Eye '64 (don't ask me how that accident managed to happen). He had me come over and play it, and I instantly fell in love with the series. The freedom, the ability to run around in a tank fighting cops and then simply go back to acting like a normal citizen felt amazing to me.

I got a copy of it, completed it in five days and went on to buy every installment released since then. Needless to say, like many others around here, it is, and probably will remain, my favourite video game series to ever exist.
  • zombieslayer777 likes this

Testarossa
  • Testarossa

too high again

• Facade
  • Mexico
  • Worst Ferrari
    Best Concept DLC 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:08 AM

WE BUILT THIS CITY ON ROCK AND ROOOOOOLLLLL

I was introduced to San Andreas by my friend, then I started playing other GTA games like III and Vice City, fell in love with the latter.

Gold-NBayse
  • Gold-NBayse

Busta till the end

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:45 AM

My older cousin let me play VC around the time it was out. I probably played it once or twice but It was amazing as a kid walking in a virtual city.

A year later same thing with San Andreas happened. Though I had more memories of it.

However it was GTA IV that got me into the series and become a huge fan of it. When I played it back in 2008 my other cousin, his sister and my sister would all take turns playing and challenging each other to see who survived the longest.

So VC was technically the first GTA I played but IV made me become a fan of the series.
  • Algonquin Assassin, Lock N' Stock and BLOOD like this

Pooyan Cyrus
  • Pooyan Cyrus

Drake stole my notebook :(

• Members
  • Mars
  • Helpfulness Award [Concepts]
    Best Concept Story 2013 "Grand Theft Auto: Ultimate"
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

I had seen GTA2 on a friend's computer. However, when I saw GTA III, I didn't even think it's a new version of that game. However, later when I wasn't very old I got the Vice City. And that was when I started talking about it to my school friends. Then... Wow, it was big bang. Me and my friends at school started playing Vice City and III as professional GTA gamers. We played it almost everyday, and that was when I found out that GTA2 was also part of this franchise and, I didn't love it much, but when I learned how to play it better, and I started playing online, I loved it.

However, best GTA game I've played all-time, was SAN ANDREAS. Actually, I loved the gang theme, and everything looked nice. It was an extremely huge map for its time. I loved it. And, I still play it sometimes just to enjoy remembering my exciting times in every bit of that state.

I didn't own a PS2 or PSP, and also didn't know about this emulator thing, so I had to wait for the IV for 4 years. That was when I had time to play the original thing. You know, I always thought so what's the first game? I absolutely knew it didn't start from "2", so I bought the original "Grand Theft Auto". It was a hard, painful wait for the next GTA. And the most frustrating part was that when it came out, I didn't have a powerful-enough system to play it.

One of my friends, had been playing VCS on his PC, so I asked him to tell me how to play it on PC. I bought both 'Stories' games' PSP version and through a long long process, transferred the files to PC and played them. Then, in 2010, I bought a new PC (better said, my dad bought it for me) and I was able to play it. I should say, It wasn't a very unique experience, however I still think it had a nice story. In that year, after completing the IV on PC, when I had bought my first android phone, an HTC Aria, however due to some problems, I changed it for a Galaxy mini i later, and played my friend's GTA:Advance copy on them (He gave it to me for free because he knew I loved GTA).

In 2011, after completing Advance on phone, I installed EFLC on my PC and played it. Playing it, had a nice feeling. Both episodes were nice, although their stories weren't as rich as IV. Later when GTA V trailer came, I played every GTA game I had until it came out.

In my maybe short life, I have played all GTA games (and I'm proud of it), 3 COD games, and all FIFA games. Nothing else. I think it's enough, I don't want to play video games 24/7/365.

Real_Badgirl
  • Real_Badgirl

Thug

• Members

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

I'm really new to the series, so V was my first.

I bought V on a whim, saying to myself, "If I love it, great. If it sucks, I'll just sell it."

I loved it. After I beat it, I bought III, VC, SA and IV (Liberty Cities Stories edition). V is still my favorite though.

• Lock N' Stock and BLOOD like this

Verdant
  • Verdant

Boomshine Blowout

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:46 PM Edited by Verdant, 21 July 2014 - 09:48 PM.

The original GTA, it was a lot of fun for the time being. Surprisingly, I actually searched up GTA 2 about 2 years ago because I didn't even know about it and gave it a try. Though as I got older I found out about GTA III and that blew me away with the 3D City, this got me very attached towards the series. I still go back and replay the entire storyline every now and then.

• Osho likes this

Donald J Trump
  • Donald J Trump

COVFEFE

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

I remember my cousin showing me GTA 1 on his laptop in 1997 and how you could run around stealing cars, and then my brother bought it for his PlayStation back in 1998 I think. Him, his friend, and my dad were all playing and laughing their asses off at getting into chases with the cops and running people over, and they'd let me try it out, too. I don't think we even did any of the missions. I never truly got into the series until around 2004 though, when I got an Xbox with a borrowed copy of Vice City.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:17 PM Edited by W2B, 22 July 2014 - 10:47 PM.

I started with the first Grand Theft Auto in '97 when I was 12. I remember the game was just released and a couple of friends at school were talking about how awesome it is, so I got it soon after. It quickly became my new favourite game, I was hooked. Picked up every other GTA since (except for Advance) on their respective release dates.

GTA 2 was actually the most addictive in the series for me and is still to this day the one I played the most (suh-weet memories!), though I consider GTA IV to be the best GTA so far (bear in mind that I haven't played V yet because pc)
  • Lock N' Stock and BLOOD like this

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:31 PM Edited by xXGst0395Xx, 22 July 2014 - 11:33 PM.

GTA III baby, at my friend's house. Will never forget that first moment I saw Claude kicking the sh*t out of a pedestrian as a puddle of blood formed underneath, or repeatingly bashing one's head in with a baseball bat. It was a new level of video-game violence I'd been exposed to at only 7 years old, good times.

Then I got GTA 1 on the original PlayStation since I did not own a PS2 at the time, until my dad snapped the disc in front of my very eyes for trying to jump over a moving car.

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:03 AM

Started with GTA 1, barely played gta 2, played and completed 3, I couldn't find VC (I bought pirated games), I played SA but at that time my mental health wasnt very good so I had to quit playing that game, then a few years later I continued and completed SA, and VCS, I bought LCS but for some f*cking reason the last missions couldn't be played (maybe an anti pirate lock?) and then I got GTA 4, got bored but still completed it, but a bit before gta v I continued playing it a bit more oh I also played the dlc's

• glass pipe likes this

fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic Creator 2016
    Contribution Award [GTAO]

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:32 PM

Talking online with a young player last night whose never played anything but GTAO.

He hasn't even played the single-player aspect of GTAV, yet.
"I got the game a few weeks ago, so I'll play SP over the next vacation."

I was impressed with how much he complained that the game looked "cartoonish" and "unpolished."
"I expected it to be more like Battlefield with all the details."

Despite my patience, I wanted to take the game away from him. 

Sawnek
  • Sawnek

"V has come to."

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

My first GTA game was III, and to this day remains one of my favourites. I remember watching my cousin playing it, mainly just free roaming.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:59 PM

GTA 1 was my first GTA. Before GTA IV's release I was always a huge fan of VC (still am actually believe it or not ), but GTA IV won me over on so many levels. There's probably not much point into going into great detail since everyone knows how I feel about GTA IV.

However in saying that I appreciate each GTA in its own way. Yes that includes GTA V. I like some more than others, but they all brought something different to the table and I can honestly say of all the ones I've played (London 61 and Advance being the two exceptions since I've never played them) none of them are terrible games. It's just for my tastes the cream rises to the top with GTA IV and VC.:)
  • Tikhung likes this

happygrowls
  • happygrowls

You gotta run and don't look back.

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:03 PM

San Andreas (what a shock), I eventually purchased LCS, VCS and III (i've never really played VC don't kill me) and then I bought a Xbox 360 and the first game I played was EFLC then I bought IV.

ribon
  • ribon

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:19 PM Edited by ribon, 18 October 2014 - 02:25 PM.

GTA 1 in our school library (took a copy home), then GTA 2 was given to me by our family friend who no longer wanted to play. Same with GTA 3. VC was my first purchase and I got really hooked on it - played it non-stop one summer. SA was okay, but didn't live up to the VC hype. Same with IV + both "expansions".

Up until now, GTA V is the worst game I've played in the series as far as fun goes. I've never had trouble getting into a GTA game, but just running this one takes f*cking effort.

edit: oh yeah, I also had LCS and VCS for the PSP and loved them both. Until some jackass broke into my apartment and stole everything.

Tikhung
  • Tikhung

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:51 PM Edited by Tikhung, 18 October 2014 - 03:51 PM.

My first GTA was Vice City, but I didn't know about the series well until San Andreas. Being a third-worlder, my English was basically zero back then, I joined some video games message boards in Vietnamese. I still remember trying the Blue Hell bug in SA, waiting for bigfoot that turned out to be fake.

Anyway, that's some of my finest memories with the series. I'd love to see the community growing stronger everyday I go to the forum. You guys are like family to me, no matter which game do you like. Cheers!

My brother got me into GTA 3 when I was about 6 (Before you yell off at me remember GTA back then isn't as violent as it is today) and to this day, GTA 3 is my favorite of the series. The city itself, I know the back of my head. I'm digging the tunes save for the classical station, loving the weather, so on and so forth.

6...? Doesn't it make you like 19 now? You look like you're almost 30 lol (no offense...)

quxxo
  • quxxo

Gangsta

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:45 PM Edited by quxxo, 18 October 2014 - 06:49 PM.

My first game was GTA 3. I remember roleplaying in GTA 3 (trying to play as civilian or a cop)

@edit Where's Vice City and Liberty City stories?

Vice City criminal
  • Vice City criminal

Abandoned account. Mostly

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:59 PM

i'm disappointed at the lack of LCS and VCS in the polls.

Jestic
  • Jestic

Chris

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Netherlands
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Conversion 2014 [ViIV for GTANY Contribution]
    Best Map 2011 [IVSA]
    Modding Milestone [IVSA/Ped Paths]
    Best Map 2013 [ViceCityStories PC Edition][Contribution]

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:04 PM

Grand Theft Auto (1), on my brothers PC, I was around 7 at that time. Good Times. Favorite is still Vice City,

Pavle
  • Pavle

The Prodigal Son

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Serbia
  • Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Shania Twain Superfan
    Biggest Profile Stalker 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Serb 2015
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:07 PM

My love Vice City.

You have no idea how happy I was when I saw the trailer for the 10th anniversary.

103826434350369266354115.jpg

dognuts
  • dognuts

Well if u put it that way...although I am kind of slim

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:46 PM

GTA III was the first one i saw, but i never played it when it first came out. I would only watch my brothers and cousins play. Vice City was the first i played. I also played III around the time VC was out. I'd usually just watch my family play, though. San Andreas was the first i owned, so therefore the first i truly played. I first had San Andreas on the PS2, but my PS2 broke around 2006, so i later re-bought it on the original Xbox. This time it had the Adults Only rating, which i remember being really awkward when i got the game with my mom. I also had a PSP, with Liberty City Stories being the coolest thing ever for me. Getting to play GTA while taking long rides to Seaside Heights, NJ on summer vacation... The memories. LCS and VCS should be added to the poll.

mr quick
  • mr quick

VŚr tid er forbi - Europa brenner!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Kenny G Enthusiast [All Time]
    Contribution [Music]

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:10 PM

Started playing GTA II when I was 4, then I didn't play until san andreas

unbid
  • unbid

Sgt. Pooper Lonely Farts Club

• Zaibatsu
  • Indonesia

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:23 PM

The first GTA I've ever played was GTA SA back when I was 12 at my friend's house. It was the point when I got addicted to that type of games.

Still, my favorite GTA is IV. I still played it until now.

Zodape
  • Zodape

CABINETS

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 19 October 2014 - 04:23 PM

I played GTA 1 at a friend's house when I was like... I don't know... 4-5 years old? I was very young. I remember taking turns with him, running over people and dieing all the time, without even completing the first mission.

Then I played III, and I fell in love with it.

Played VC and SA to death, but both always felt kind of weird to me.

III is still my favourite and I still play it like a motherf*cker to this day. Portland is easly my favourite city (or district, or part of another city, w/e) to this day.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:44 PM

i'm disappointed at the lack of LCS and VCS in the polls.

Agreed. I enjoyed those games as well. They both helped with some of the back story with III and VC.

Cheers.

Pfister Comet
  • Pfister Comet

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:41 PM

My brother borrowed San Andreas from a friend. I played it and loved it.

Later i got VC, VCS and LCS. It took me awhile to get IV, because i didn't have console or enough powerful PC to run it.

Back in 2011 i saw trailer of GTA V and i had to get it. I bought PS3 just so i can play it.

I got GTA III few months ago for android.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users