Quantcast

» «
Photo

We Built This City [How Were You Intro'd to the GTA Universe?]

89 replies to this topic

Poll: How Were You Introduce to the World of GTA? (256 member(s) have cast votes)

How Were You Introduce to the World of GTA?

1. Grand Theft Auto (1) (43 votes [16.80%])

Percentage of vote: 16.80%

2. Grand Theft Auto: London (5 votes [1.95%])

Percentage of vote: 1.95%

3. Grand Theft Auto 2 (31 votes [12.11%])

Percentage of vote: 12.11%

4. Grand Theft Auto III (65 votes [25.39%])

Percentage of vote: 25.39%

5. Grand Theft Auto Vice City (55 votes [21.48%])

Percentage of vote: 21.48%

6. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (42 votes [16.41%])

Percentage of vote: 16.41%

7. Grand Theft Auto Advance (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Grand Theft Auto IV (13 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

9. Grand Theft Auto Ballad of Gay Tony and/or Lost & Damned (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Grand Theft Auto V and/or GTA Online (2 votes [0.78%])

Percentage of vote: 0.78%

Which of the GTA franchises has been your personal favorite?

1. Grand Theft Auto (1 votes [0.39%])

Percentage of vote: 0.39%

2. Grand Theft Auto London (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Grand Theft Auto 2 (3 votes [1.17%])

Percentage of vote: 1.17%

4. Grand Theft Auto III (18 votes [7.03%])

Percentage of vote: 7.03%

5. Grand Theft Auto Vice City (45 votes [17.58%])

Percentage of vote: 17.58%

6. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (62 votes [24.22%])

Percentage of vote: 24.22%

7. Grand Theft Auto Advance (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Grand Theft Auto IV (66 votes [25.78%])

Percentage of vote: 25.78%

9. Grand Theft Auto Ballad of Gay Tony and/or Lost & Damned (7 votes [2.73%])

Percentage of vote: 2.73%

10. Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars (2 votes [0.78%])

Percentage of vote: 0.78%

11. Grand Theft Auto V and/or GTA Online (52 votes [20.31%])

Percentage of vote: 20.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote
fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic Creator 2016
    Contribution Award [GTAO]

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

Seems there's some discussion on the forum of "how things used to be," whether it applies to actual gameplay or kids playing the game or even the content in the games (compared to way back when).

I'm just curious how we all came to be a part of this particular sect of gamers, the GTA players, who are constantly under public scrutiny and, in my opinion, a bit frowned upon by our choice of entertainment.

I was introduced to GTA 2 by a friend. I remember playing it for hours and even saying, "Imagine if they could ever make this more realistic... that would be amazing!"

GTA2_PC_in-game_screenshot.jpg

Then, by the time GTA III rolled out, I was in pure heaven. They built the city better than anyone could possibly conceive. It was like they took Duke Nukem and made it just for people like me! 

Gta3-pc-walking.jpeg

The one that got me, though, was Vice City. It took heaven and put a capital H on it... Heaven! Stylish and slick and the best part was when I visited Miami that same year, and realizing it was like "being in the game," to a degree. Awesome!

GTAVC_PC_Gang_Attack.jpg

But, I suspect for most, it was San Andreas that took hold and didn't let go. Or maybe Niko's humanity from GTA IV?

Gta-sa-screen2.jpg GTAIV_Niko_and_Dimitri.jpg

Regardless, they're all games of exhaustive depth, but with the current game, it's easy to forget what came before.

So, the poll is just meant for fun and the thread meant for nostalgic discussion and comparison between game experiences.

Hope it's worthy of the forum! Cheers! ;)

• Osho, Tikhung, Testarossa and 7 others like this

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:47 PM

Vice City was my first GTA, and still my favorite GTA to this day :)

• visionist, fw3, turbocharger and 1 other like this

Ylerion
  • Ylerion

Snitch

• Members

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

I remember the good ol' GTA2 days, I never got anywhere because you had to pay a sh*tload of money to save your game.
  • fw3 likes this

I'll be your sinner in secret.

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:51 PM Edited by 2281, 20 July 2014 - 02:52 PM.

My cousin introduced me to the GTA series with VC soon after its release IIRC.

It was my favorite in the series until IV where I likely have more hours played than all other GTA's combined lol

• fw3 likes this

glass pipe
  • glass pipe

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

Gta 3. I remember playing it growing up.

my favorite game in the series.
  • visionist likes this

ModderX
  • ModderX

#1 90's Car Fan

• Members
  • England

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

SA was my first; IV was my favourite as I met someone in a match years ago and we've become close friends.

cuti8tushu
  • cuti8tushu

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

GTA2 looks like they had fun making it

After gta3 it looks like jokes started to get serious.  Vice city looks like jokes again (dildo weapon)  San andreas looks like they were getting too serious but still had some jokes

Gta4 got too serious

Gta5 got too serious (Where's the purple dildo weapon?)

Gta2 was the best

f*cking oil slicks while cops chasing you, something hillarious about that that always gets to me.

• Osho and DimitriFaustin like this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:53 PM Edited by Staten, 20 July 2014 - 02:56 PM.

GTA was the first one I played, back in 1999 (the game had been out for a couple of years by then).  I kind of liked it, but got bored of it quickly.  GTA III was the first to make me take notice of the series, and play the game alot.  GTA V is my favourite though.

CarnageRacing00
  • CarnageRacing00

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

I borrowed some PlayStation games from my brother in law waaaaaaay back in 1998 when I was in middle school. One of them was a little game called Grand Theft Auto.

I had so much ridiculous fun with that game, I rented GTA2 for my Dreamcast, loved it. Kinda forgot about the series for a while, got really into PC gaming and left it alone...

and then I played GTA III at a friends house.

That weekend I took some saved up cash and bought a PS2 and my own copy of GTA III. Bought Vice City on release day, preordered San Andreas and waited in line for the midnight release (first and only time I've ever done that, won't ever do it again... hey, I was young)...

Didn't have the bones for a PS3 so I had to wait on GTA IV, but after playing it at a friends house, I put in some extra hours at work, got a PS3 and GTA IV.

Bought GTA V on day of release.

GTA V is my favorite so far, followed by GTA IV, then San Andreas, then Vice City, then III, then 1, then 2.

Jedi Master Tom
  • Jedi Master Tom

Be with you, the Force may

• Members

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:59 PM Edited by Jedi Master Tom, 20 July 2014 - 02:59 PM.

Been playing since GTA 1 on the PC

Five has been my favorite so far, because of the hists
  • cuti8tushu likes this

GTA.VETERAN
  • GTA.VETERAN

Square Civilian

• Members
  • England

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:59 PM Edited by GTA.VETERAN, 20 July 2014 - 03:02 PM.

It won't let me vote but GTA 1 or 2 was my first. Thats why I'm called GTA.VETERAN. Every GTA to me has been so solid and I have played each game from the PS2 era almost everday since. GTA Vice City is the most nostalgic for me though. I also did'nt have a PS2 up until Vice City came out so I used to go around my friends house just to play on his PS1 and PS2.

• Lock N' Stock, Pastry and BLOOD like this

Breaking Bad
  • Breaking Bad

I am the one who knocks.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

GTA III was my first. I was amazed at the amount of freedom you had, and at the time it seemed huge. Even though it only took seconds to cross the bridge to get to other parts of the map, it felt so expansive. There was nothing quite like it before. I'd just sit for hours on end doing Police Chases, and replaying the story.

Since then, I've got every GTA game at launch. Vice City was amazing, with the BEST music ever. San Andreas still holds up to this day, I recently went back to it again on the PC. It just doesn't get old. I'm still amazed at the way three cities were incorporated in to San Andreas, that seemed massive when it was first released.

GTA IV was great, and the Online was brilliant. I loved Cops and Crooks. They NEED to bring it back. I've enjoyed GTA V a lot, and I'm looking forward to the Next-Gen version.

MadeBrazen
  • MadeBrazen

Valiantly Hearty

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

Hooked from the original GTA first time the little guy answers a random ringing telephone booth (google it, kids) and the muffled voice issues a job offer about moving a car with a chick in the trunk.

Your other thread made me realise; I tend to avoid squeakers when playing online, what with having a kid and thinking this sort of entertainment is just not suitable for an immature mind, but damn I was young first time I went on a rampage with a flamethrower. Maybe I should be more accepting... Spose I turned out ok, just a little bit misfunctional, only as much as the next guy, y'know?
  • Magick and fw3 like this

cuti8tushu
  • cuti8tushu

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

Been playing since GTA 1 on the PC

Five has been my favorite so far, because of the hists

LOL made me lol for the day

Oh yea, GTA5 my favorite too because they took away 6 star wanted level and made it only 5 that way dumb kids can be happy ^^

SecretDonkey14
  • SecretDonkey14

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • England

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

12 year old me sat there one afternoon when my dad came in and handed me a game called Grand Theft Auto. I looked at it and thought it might be fun to steal cars... I had no idea how much fun it would turn out to be and I've had every one since. Vice city was the first one I got totally addicted to though and I wish they would do another proper game set there (VC stories was crap IMO). Following the tradition my oldest daughter started playing San Andreas when she was about 5-6 driving around killing drug dealers with the deagle and now she plays online with me on gtao. Next up, my son but he's only 2 so gotta wait for now lol.

MuhNamesTyler
  • MuhNamesTyler

Random dude #42599

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

Hooked from the original GTA first time the little guy answers a random ringing telephone booth (google it, kids) and the muffled voice issues a job offer about moving a car with a chick in the trunk.
Your other thread made me realise; I tend to avoid squeakers when playing online, what with having a kid and thinking this sort of entertainment is just not suitable for an immature mind, but damn I was young first time I went on a rampage with a flamethrower. Maybe I should be more accepting... Spose I turned out ok, just a little bit misfunctional, only as much as the next guy, y'know?

"Misfunctional"

This is like irony or something right

Synthol
  • Synthol

Amon's Strength pummels you

• Members
  • Republic-of-the-Congo

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

I think it's III, I may or may not have fond or not so fond memories of playing this game as a 5 year old, lol.

My favorite GTA thus far is IV, nothing tops it, really. It also has the most worthwhile DLC you'll ever purchase in your damn life, not that couple of extra maps bullsh*t other games like COD pull off.

• 2281 likes this

AlienOne
  • AlienOne

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

Vice City was my first GTA, and still my favorite GTA to this day :)

NFSGalaxy
  • NFSGalaxy

Stay alive.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

When I was a small child, my cousin and I played San Andreas for a few hours until my mother found out. Several years back, I bought gta 4 for pc and I liked it enough to repurchase it for ps3

Legate Meridius
  • Legate Meridius

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

The first game I played was GTA III but I remember watching my dad when he would play the first GTA.  I would have to say that Vice City Stories is probably my favorite game so far though.

Egonga
  • Egonga

Stripper/Lawyer

• Members
  • England

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:00 PM Edited by Egonga, 20 July 2014 - 04:01 PM.

Back in the days when the Sega Saturn was my main system I remember seeing a preview for a game called Crime Wave that sounded awesome - a massive city that you were free to explore and could complete missions in. I must have read and re-read that preview a hundred times. Unfortunately due to the high prices of Saturn games (£50-£60, which is about $70-80 American, I think) I could never afford to play it.

Fast forward a few years and I was a Playstation man. I saw GTA2 in a shop for only a tenner, and the back of the box made it sound very similar to Crime Wave. I tried to buy it but the man behind the counter refused to sell to me, so I defiantly got my parents to buy it instead. Take that, society! Loved it. Every now and then I still find myself singing "Jesus my saviour. My favourite flavour! I pray for god to my kids!" I always remember to save room for desert at Pizzacake ;)

My family got our first Internet PC in about 2001-ish, and typing in videogames.com brought me to Gamespot. I messed around on the forums there for a while, but I remember reading a preview for GTA3 and getting all excited. It wasn't a AAA franchise back in those days so the media reaction was generally more muted; just a few short paragraphs and a picture or two to get our appetites whetted. I knew it was going to be an amazing game, although I never expected the series to reach the heights it has.

Coincidentally, I've just had a look on Amazon and Crime Wave is available for a tenner. And I still have my Saturn hooked up. I think my inner child is about to be appeased...
  • Magick likes this

CatchMeTrolling
  • CatchMeTrolling

Troll

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

GTA 3 in fourth grade, though I played 1 and 2 also

TheNameless
  • TheNameless

Trick

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

The original GTA, I remember the demo given away with OPSM that have you like 5 mins of playtime. That and the fact that you could put the full game disk in a CD player and it had the full soundtrack on it. Those were the days. GURANGA!!
  • MilezDawg likes this

RussianCommie
  • RussianCommie

Trying to think of a member title but my mind keeps Stalin.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

While GTA III was my first GTA, I loved and still love Vice City, my favorite GTA. The song choices in that game were beyond great. Having the radio playing while Tommy was cruising down Ocean Beach with a sunset in the background never got old for me.

• Steezy. likes this

Arya35
  • Arya35

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

I really think R* peaked in terms of making fun games back with San Andreas. Anyone who first played gta v really missed out.

Gotthejuice187
  • Gotthejuice187

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

Stole gta 2 on ps1 off some guy at my high school... Been hsrdcore fan since 😄

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

This should be moved to GTA Series Chat, also you didn't include my favorite game.

AdmiralAmmunation
  • AdmiralAmmunation

The Lost MC [President]

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

Sadly, I didn't get to play GTA as a very small child. I've had anxiety my whole life and I'd heard of the bad rep GTA had. My parents would've totally let me play it, but my anxiety kept me back.

Years ago I picked up GTA 4 and loved it. Then I picked up TLAD and f*cking fell in love. TBoGT was a 'meh' for me.

I've since played every GTA and regret not playing them all as a kid, and have no idea why I was so nervous to play them.

I then watched GTA 5 since the day it was announced to the day it came out, and here I am almost a year after that day.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

My brother got me into GTA 3 when I was about 6 (Before you yell off at me remember GTA back then isn't as violent as it is today) and to this day, GTA 3 is my favorite of the series. The city itself, I know the back of my head. I'm digging the tunes save for the classical station, loving the weather, so on and so forth.

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:21 PM

It all started with PSX... I got it from my uncle. I loved GTA but I didn't have PS2 or PC so I had to start with GTA1. - it was epic! I played it like a maniac, roleplayed etc. I also played London for some time but it wasn't really good for me.

Then mom bought me... GTA 2! Oh yes. Sooo many hours spent on this game! :) Then when I got (bad) PC I also played it.

And the miracle! An uncle gave me his old PC! Yes! (It was already bad at this time, lol). I immediately installed GTA III and I remember that I stole Coach in Porland and played as a bus driver, seriously. And when I played my uncle brought me GTA SA and told me that it is much much better. Well I knew it's better but I stayed with GTA III untill he installed it for me..

GTA SA - amazing. No words to describe my feelings back then..

And after many hours of playing GTA SA I remembered that there's also another GTA game - GTA VC! I asked my uncle and he gave me the disc. I wasn't really impressed, I found graphic worse than GTA III etc, but years later I played it again and I see how epic it is.

IN 2008 I didn't have PS3, Xbox360 or great PC so I couldn't play GTA IV.

GTA IV I played for the first time in 2011, but it didn't look good on my PC. Well, I liked it 'tho and I find this game really amazing. And then TBOGT - another great game. I used to play it very often untill I burnt my graphic card, lol.

And now I wait for new PC and GTA V...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users