Photo

Anyone use/own Crossbows? (RL)

16 replies to this topic
ctan800
  • ctan800

Hot-Headed Beat Cop

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:26 AM Edited by ctan800, 20 July 2014 - 11:32 AM.

Here is mine

Barnett C5 Wildcat. $400 stock. With all the maintenance done, I added a additional $400 on top of that. Lube the flight-rail every 5-10 shots, check for string-frays, etc. 

Upgrades

1) Champion Brand, "Harris-Style Bipod"

2) $60 Pursuit 3x32 scope. Generally low quality, with extremely long eye relief, but still extremely accurate with a BDC of up to 50 yards

3) Barnett Rope Cocking Device

Stats

1) Advertised velocity with stock 413 grain bolts. 320 feet per second, or 218 mph

2) Verified velocity with chronograph. 298 feet per second, 203 miles per hour

3) Advertised Kinetic Energy, 88.xx Foot/Pounds

4) Verified Kinetic Energy, 81.46 Foot/Pounds. More than enough to shoot through multiple human beings/zombies

10296830_1444632515781420_1598672389_n.j

I used the "hardest target" I can find in the archery range. THis was done in one salvo (after repeated tries as you can see), shot in a crouch-position at 20 yards indoors. Perfectly zeroed in after half an hour of using the bipod, then I decided to test it out. Each of the dots is roughly 2/3rds of the size of a human skull for a 150-160 pound human. 

I was zeroing in the first time I installed the scope, and I did this by accident. This is before I had a bipod installed. At the time I didn't know I was supposed to shoot using a level platform to dial my scope in.

10311207_299248173571925_1411608706_n.jp 

Yes. "Robin-hooding" is completely possible. I just lost two $9 "bolts", that are custom 20" carbon "Headhunter" arrows for my rig. 

But I think I am gonna trade it in so I can order a Barnett Ghost 410, or a Barnett Razr. Both of which go more than 400 feet per second, at least 272 miles per hour, and has a kinetic energy of roughly 150 foot/pounds. It's almost a $1,000 before tax. But given that I am going to purchase Rac-Em-Bac Brand "Bow-Mags", which lets you put a .357 Magnum Bullet into a custom disposable arrowhead, and then attach it to your arrow, I need all the possible Kinetic Energy I can find to ensure that the primer goes off.

Basically, after shooting someone, the arrow lodges into the person, and then the force from impacting a hard object, such as the pelvic bones or sternum, will cause the primer to ignite and set off the magnum round, not just at point blank range, but INSIDE the opponent! Ka-boom :D

• Killerdude, Distrom and SolidSnails like this

Judicious 7
  • Judicious 7

Compassionate

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:35 AM

No way! You know what they say, you'll shoot your eye out kid!

• ctan800 likes this

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:42 AM Edited by Killerdude8, 21 July 2014 - 04:43 AM.

Not crossbows, But my Uncle used to have a set of composite bows, None of this modernized sh*t either, just 2 very basic Bows.

Last I remembered, I did very well with them, I hit very close to the bullseye!

• ctan800 likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:46 AM

I used to own a pretty cheap crossbow when I first got into hunting years ago then I moved onto Compound Bows, which suited me much better and I actually like the increased ranged and stopping power much better than what I've seen with crossbows.

Don't know any people with crossbows around here unfortunately but I have always had a thought of purchasing another cheaper model just for target shooting and all since I don't hunt anymore. I sold my compound bow to my cousin last year.

Nice shots you got there and the infamous Robin Hood arrow split. :^:

• ctan800 likes this

ctan800
  • ctan800

Hot-Headed Beat Cop

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:14 AM

No way! You know what they say, you'll shoot your eye out kid!

Actually in my 3rd week of ownership months ago, I accidentally left the rope-cocker attached. What ended up was 203 mph of friction burn. I was expecting it to hurt the next day when I wake up, but surprisingly no more misery!

I used to own a pretty cheap crossbow when I first got into hunting years ago then I moved onto Compound Bows, which suited me much better and I actually like the increased ranged and stopping power much better than what I've seen with crossbows.

Don't know any people with crossbows around here unfortunately but I have always had a thought of purchasing another cheaper model just for target shooting and all since I don't hunt anymore. I sold my compound bow to my cousin last year.

Nice shots you got there and the infamous Robin Hood arrow split. :^:

I used to know many Marines up in Reno when they taught me a few things. One of them is a Warrant Officer for marksmanship. But its been about six years between shooting rifles and shooting a crossbow, which for the most part, within a 50 yard range, functions and handles just like a rifle, albeit terribly balanced (nose heavy). 

And yeah, compound vertical bows are superior at longer distances. When a crossbow bolt/arrow is fired, it is guided by vanes and is significantly shorter than archery arrows. This basically means past the 50 yard mark, the projectile decelerates rapidly and loses kinetic energy. But at the same time, for both vertical bows and crossbows, there is a minimum distance it must travel upon being propelled, by which it begins to generate peak KE output. 

I'd rather stick with my crossbow. I even rely on it more than guns. Everyone knows, especially burglars trying to steal my freaking car all the time (my windshield got bashed open 3 times in the last two years), what a crossbow looks like when its cocked and ready to fire. And its a silent weapon, aside from the "twang" noise that can be heard up to 10 yards away. 

I also have a spare container of Dex-Cool Concentrate 95% Ethylene Glycol if I needed to poison my Muzzy Tricar Broadheads. You know, for taking out cannibalistic zombie elephants or something. 

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Permanent headache.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:22 AM Edited by *MURDOC*, 22 July 2014 - 09:25 AM.

I've got one, use the recurves and the compound more often though.

I don't recall the brand, it's a smaller pistol-style cb, it was a gift from a friend years ago, he bought it new for about $350 USD.

He had some custom carbon-fibre/aluminum/steel bolts made for it, I still have most of them, it's almost hard for me to use those bolts because they're just so damn nice, lol!

burglars trying to steal my freaking car all the time (my windshield got bashed open 3 times in the last two years)

Just a heads-up, car thieves don't smash windshields, someone probably just doesn't like you.

Also, if you shoot someone with a f*cking arrow for breaking your windshield, prepare to go jail.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

You do know zombies aren't real though right?

• GN 1992 likes this

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

Man, All this talk about crossbows is making me want to buy one.

Too bad I don't have money. :c

Buckminsterfullerene
  • Buckminsterfullerene

Prince

• Members
  • Liberia

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

Does your crossbow fire at 6000 freedoms per second?
No?
Buy a real gun!
  • A J likes this

Plank.
  • Plank.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

I have a "mini" crossbow that fires little bolt-like darts. I shoot random things with it. It's pretty fun. I like to pretend I'm a highwayman.

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

it's much more fun to tightly wrap an elastic band around a hardback book, then fire classroom stationary with it.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

I prefer bows. If you can't get something done with a bow, you probably want a gun. Rest is matter of preference, I suppose.

Fraizer
  • Fraizer

Dipped in bread crumbs

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA Online]

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

BtK2sinIUAAxi9T.jpg

But really, I would rather shoot a regular or compound bow. I just think it's more fun.

LeopardGecko
  • LeopardGecko

GTA biker

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:52 PM

I´m thinking about buying a pistol crossbow like this one:

e74929527bee103ad2c73a32d4643194.jpg

Are they any good?

r0eladn
  • r0eladn

Big Homie

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:47 AM

Are they any good?

I have had a pistol crossbow. One of lesser quality than the one in your picture.

From my experience, what you want to watch out for is:

- The quality of the 'wire' or 'string' (mine started unravelling)

- How well the 'bow part' is connected. (for example, is it fixed or do you have to screw it on or something in that nature) fixed on it is better, but makes it less mobile, (you cant break it down for for example transport.)

But dont expect it to be accurate in a distance above 25 feet.

Since where i live firearms are only allowed when having a special license, i wanted one of these bows for a long time. But it is just not useful where i live. I live in a very narrow populated area with almost no great open spaces, 

which means i wouldnt be able to fire it almost anywhere, and totally nowhere legal. Exept in a special club.

ctan800
  • ctan800

Hot-Headed Beat Cop

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:43 AM

Sorry about the long time to reply you guys. I got bored of GTAO and started playing WoW again. THey gave me a chance to instantly get a new max level character (as of this expansion pack) for preordering their new future expansion pack. 

I got me a mage, but I ended up choosing a server where Horde outnumbers the Alliance 9 to 1, so I usually get ganked either while farming and questing at the Free Loot Island, or even inside our own capital cities. However, because of all the tremendous pressure from non-stop PvP Encounters, I managed to get my mage maxed out on all of the entry-level Honor Loot in less than a week! This game is so freaking easy now compared to Burning Crusade and Wrath!

Are they any good

Are they any good?

I have had a pistol crossbow. One of lesser quality than the one in your picture.

From my experience, what you want to watch out for is:

- The quality of the 'wire' or 'string' (mine started unravelling)

- How well the 'bow part' is connected. (for example, is it fixed or do you have to screw it on or something in that nature) fixed on it is better, but makes it less mobile, (you cant break it down for for example transport.)

But dont expect it to be accurate in a distance above 25 feet.

Since where i live firearms are only allowed when having a special license, i wanted one of these bows for a long time. But it is just not useful where i live. I live in a very narrow populated area with almost no great open spaces, 

which means i wouldnt be able to fire it almost anywhere, and totally nowhere legal. Exept in a special club.

Pretty much what he said. I believe what both of you are referring to is a M-Tech DX-80, which is a 80-pound (held in the "draw weight", or force contained by the bowstring) Draw Weight hand held crossbow. 

Alot of people in the archery ranges regard the one-hand crossbows as a "fun shooting toy" than anything close to a effective hunting tool.

However, be careful with it. No you don't just "shoot someone's eye out", it still has enough kinetic energy to penetrate the eyesocket into the exposed brain inside. 

It can also dangerously lodge itself in someone's chest. 80 pounds of draw weight is still pretty high, but not enough to be effective past 20 or so feet. However, my experience tells me that it was extremely easy to load and arm. Some of them have cocking mechanisms or budget crank cocking devices fitted onto them like a semiautomatic handgun slide. 

I would, if my kids were interested in crossbows specifically (and not just pretending to be Katniss), buy them one of these, but still drill them in proper safety of operating crossbows. 

I've got one, use the recurves and the compound more often though.

I don't recall the brand, it's a smaller pistol-style cb, it was a gift from a friend years ago, he bought it new for about $350 USD.

He had some custom carbon-fibre/aluminum/steel bolts made for it, I still have most of them, it's almost hard for me to use those bolts because they're just so damn nice, lol!

burglars trying to steal my freaking car all the time (my windshield got bashed open 3 times in the last two years)

Just a heads-up, car thieves don't smash windshields, someone probably just doesn't like you.

Also, if you shoot someone with a f*cking arrow for breaking your windshield, prepare to go jail.

$350 for a pistol crossbow? Goddamn. That sounds expensive.

I tried to find the exact model that you are describing. M-Tech, which basically makes cheap recurve copies of Barnett models doesn't make a pistol CB that high in price (the Big5 at my store sells them for $80 bucks). M-Tech rigs usually shoots a non-labeled Easton-type aluminum crossbow bolts, specifically made for their models. They are pretty cheap and the total grain weight of Body+Arrowhead is about 415 grains (measured with a scale). With the stock target tips, they weigh about 125 grains, and the shaft+vanes that it connects to is about 290 grains. Another notable aspect of M-Tech Crossbows is that they often have a maximum bolt length (with tips) of no more than 16". Meanwhile, higher-end competitors have set the standard on an average of 20" to 22". 

I happen to know all of this, because my first crossbow was a M-Tech DX-150, Recurve Bow. I replaced the sight, had to take it to a bow shop to drill in new bolts into the mount so I can attach a compatible Weaver/Picatinny Rail so I can mount a new scope I bought. My accuracy and shooting ability improved a hundredfold after that, except that my new cheap scope had horrendous eye-relief. A few weeks later, I decided to buy a $400 Barnett C5 Wildcat instead, and now my Barnett is the rig I stick with ever since. 

Then I thought, maybe its Excalibur that you are talking about? Because Excalibur is pretty much the top commercial manufacturer of the RECURVE hunting crossbow market.

Most other powerful crossbows within the hunting-grade caliber often resorted to either using a Compound-Design (using complex Cam systems instead of a single/double limb to hold more power), or the Reverse-Draw Design, which is beginning to start a trend in the crossbow manufacturer industry. But when you are talking about commercially popular Recurves, Excalibur usually is the one that dominates that market. Did you know that the newest model, the Excalibur Matrix Mega 405, which is a recurve that shoots at a advertised 405 fps, has a draw-weight of 290 pounds?!?! ANd because it's recurve, all that weight must be dead-lifted by yourself, or with the assistance of a rope-cocking device. But still, thats 145 pounds to lift. Thats insane!!!

You can identify the material of the arrows/bolts by looking on the side label/embossing and find the 4-digit number. Google that 4-digit number it'll tell you whether its made from aluminum, carbon, etc. 

Keegeroo
  • Keegeroo

S Q U ∆ D

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:06 AM

I used to live behind a cow field/forest where a lot of deer passed through, my buddy used to go hunting there with a compound bow. Caught a deer once, took 2 shots to take it down.

Never shot it at anything live, but we'd f*ck around and shoot it at bales of hay, targets, etc. Pretty fun, a lot harder than it looks though.

Also, one time my brother got one of those pistol crossbows for free while helping someone move, didn't come with arrows though so we haven't shot it yet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users