Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

Svip, you're along the right lines but a bit backwards.

The highest IP address in a 10.0.0.0/24 subnet would be 10.0.0.255 (broadcast, 254 host). A /16 subnet would be 10.0.255.255 and an /8 subnet would be 10.255.255.255.

Ah gee, I knew it sounded wrong to list which bits you want to ignore, rather than list which bits should remain significant.  Maybe I should have trusted my instinct, rather than insisting I was right when I was wrong.

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Permanent headache.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

Temp ban the ones who reply.

If they reply with something along the lines of "You should be banned", while stupid, but well-intentioned, give them a shorter temp.

If they reply with something like "lmao" or "this is hilarious!" give them a longer temp.

Andreas
  • Andreas

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:06 PM Edited by Andreas, 23 July 2014 - 07:10 PM.

I think a temp-ban is a little too severe, depending on the situation. If it's a first time offence and the member has a clean record, then a simple reminder will most likely do it. There are members that are willing to learn from their mistakes. If they do it again by making a stupid reply to a spam topic, then a verbal warning would be suitable, in my view. If someone isn't willing to change, and they feel the need to constantly reply to spam topics, then the higher ups could start to dish out temp-bans. That would be probably the most effective way to deal with things.
  • GroundZero, Sugar Free Nos and The7thOne like this

Lee Everett
  • Lee Everett

We need to keep you safe Clementine...

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:34 PM Edited by Lee Everett, 23 July 2014 - 07:37 PM.

What if there were something added such as new members having to gain 25-100 posts before being able to post images or links. 

I think a temp-ban is a little too severe, depending on the situation. If it's a first time offence and the member has a clean record, then a simple reminder will most likely do it. There are members that are willing to learn from their mistakes. If they do it again by making a stupid reply to a spam topic, then a verbal warning would be suitable, in my view. If someone isn't willing to change, and they feel the need to constantly reply to spam topics, then the higher ups could start to dish out temp-bans. That would be probably the most effective way to deal with things.

I don't think its severe at all to be honest. They are feeding the discussion by replying.

fefenc
  • fefenc

All are equal no discrimination, Son of a Gun, a simple equation

• BUSTED!
  • Brazil

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:49 AM

As I said before, new members should only be able to do a thread after 100 posts

DopeFresh
  • DopeFresh

Member of the Dope Fresh Nation

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:37 AM

what about if members who have a history of troll posts just get banned?

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

Est. MMXV

• Zaibatsu
  • Italy
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:36 AM

What about adding a few led-by's to clean up the area during night? There's a ton of respectful members that come on during these late hours, when most trolling occurs.

• SimsDaniel916 likes this

Titania
  • Titania

Winky face! ;)

• The Connection
  • Netherlands

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

What about adding a few led-by's to clean up the area during night? There's a ton of respectful members that come on during these late hours, when most trolling occurs.

You don't need to be respectful, you need to be helpful. If they are respected, but not really helpful, they don't really deserve to be promoted. 

• TheOtherRyan and Alchemist like this

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

This action will have consequences

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

It isn't very easy to crack down on this. New members might be legitimate and may also have good points to contribute as either a thread or a post. You never know when a troll could easily make a new account, regardless if they're using Tor or not.

The probable solution would be this:

1. Allow images to be posted after X amount of posts

2. Allow thread making after X amount of posts and/or likes and posts.

3. Implement a reminder system, similar to what Andreas posted earlier. An automated message that comes in along with the verification email, reminding you that certain features will be disabled until the user is given the "thumbs up" and is allowed to post freely, images and topic speaking.

The only problem is, there would still be trolls boosting their reputation up to earn those features and to completely spam out troll threads and images.

While not a logical option, those mentioned above could temporarily solve the troll issue.

Titania
  • Titania

Winky face! ;)

• The Connection
  • Netherlands

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

1. Allow images to be posted after X amount of posts

If someone has a legitimate problem and has to post a picture of what they mean then this will cripple them.

2. Allow thread making after X amount of posts and/or likes and posts.

If someone joins here to get support, they shouldn't be forced to get that amount of posts just to get answer on their problem.  This will encourage spam from what I've seen to get that amount faster. (On a forum we used to have this)

3. Implement a reminder system, similar to what Andreas posted earlier. An automated message that comes in along with the verification email, reminding you that certain features will be disabled until the user is given the "thumbs up" and is allowed to post freely, images and topic speaking.

Not everyone checks further than just the link in their email. Most are like "Click link, and done" without even reading.

The way I think this could be solved is if the first post is moderated for new members in high traffic sections, so it has to be approved first before it goes live. This is only their first post so if it's spam, it won't go through. If it's a genuine problem, it will be approved without a problem.
  • Vanto and The7thOne like this

GroundZero
  • GroundZero

Previous Username: Bull12345Bull

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:54 PM

In my opinion, the problem is that most mods are within a specific time zone, which makes it harder to moderate during the time most trolls/spam posters are active. Shouldn't there be mods active during different time zones?

There are plenty of mods that have different timezones than others, but they may not be able to visit the forum. :)

True, but having more mods over different time zones would maybe help dealing with the trolls/spammers.

Just my opinion.

And they do, someone just needs to be moderator material to begin with before they can promote them.  When I became moderator back in 2007 (I believe), it was partly because they needed more moderators in CET.  Unfortunately, there are timezones where GTAForums have far fewer members than other places.  Members are not evenly spread out.

And what is it that makes someone "moderator material"?

Ray
  • Ray

I don't practice Santeria, I ain't got no crystal ball

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

Excuse me for going off-topic for a second, but I have a question. Why have the trolls been so bad lately? It's almost been a year since GTA V's release, shouldn't it have died down by now?

Titania
  • Titania

Winky face! ;)

• The Connection
  • Netherlands

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

Excuse me for going off-topic for a second, but I have a question. Why have the trolls been so bad lately? It's almost been a year since GTA V's release, shouldn't it have died down by now?

Next gen release, probably

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:49 AM

once youve been on the internet for about 10 minutes you learn to quickly spot these troll posts and if you dont wish to see them, dont click them. its quite obvious when they have 3 posts on the main page and their join date was 2 minutes ago, lol

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Permanent headache.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:52 AM

In order to report the topics, you kinda have to click them, but I see what you're getting at.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:27 AM

It never dies down, especially when there's such a receptive audience.

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:31 AM

it usually gets worse around 3:30 when they get home from kindergarten.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users