» «
Photo

Project 350z

23 replies to this topic
Xavierr
  • Xavierr

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:33 AM Edited by Xavierr, 20 July 2014 - 06:33 AM.

So my uncle apparently has a 350z for sale and he says he'll hold it for me.

I'm just wondering what I can, and what I should do with it.

So I'm asking you guys for tips and opinions.

Here's some ideas of what I want to do with it:

Satin black or Matte Black ?

18" Rohana r106 rims ( gloss black + chrome lip)

Or any other JDM wheel that's black with a chrome lip

RB26DETT ( r34 skyline) or maybe some v6 Lambo engine ?

Accuair Suspension , i feel this is the better choice over coilovers because of speed bumps ( this car is also going to be my daily driver)

R34 GTR exhuast ( or maybe another exhuast.....still tempted to try my luck at an Aventador exhuast...)

I don't know a lot about the body kits for the 350z , but I think stillen has a nice rear bumper.

And the minor tweaks and not so expensive ways to increase hp..... I'm taking an Automotive engineering curriculum this semester , so I'll mess with my 350z once I for sure know exactly what I'm doing, but any tips ( explained in layman's terms :p) would be appreciated.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

1) Matte paintwork is generally awful on anything other than ghetto racers.
2) An RB26DETT transplant would cost more than the value of the car.
3) Lamborghini never made a V6.
4) An R34 GTR exhaust won't fit, and nor with an Aventador exhaust.

I'm happy to provide advice and pointers etc but you kind of need to get the fantasy pipe-dream stuff out of your head first. Much of it is totally infeasible.
  • Outcast, Azazel, epoxi and 3 others like this

Xavierr
  • Xavierr

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

I know the rb26 would cost twice as much, wayyy in the future when I have the money...not surprised Lamborghini never made v6.. Fantasies and stuff....

And for the exhuast ....I'm not sure how he pulled it off...

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=CSt2Uc8jck4

Azazel
  • Azazel

• None
  • Topic of the Year 2012 "GTA V Vehicle Database"
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:13 AM

Sharp looking 350Z in that video. Go for that sort of look, in stead of heavy chrome rimz and silly body kits. :)

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:24 AM Edited by Carlover325, 21 July 2014 - 04:25 AM.

Your ideas are not worth the high price they would cost.  Engine swaps are not cheap or easy.  Finding the motor would be the cheap and easy part.  Not sure what the point of making one car's exhaust work for different car is.  Why not just buy a system that's made for it?  Or even having a muffler shop custom-make something would be much less headache and expense.

You would probably be putting at least 5x the cost of the car just into the modifications.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO
  • Best Contributor [Vehicles] 2012

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:07 AM

I feel like I'm less smart, now, than I was before I opened this topic.  :blink:

• Carlover325, *MURDOC* and Moth like this

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:44 AM

Is the car automatic or manual?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:48 AM

And for the exhuast ....I'm not sure how he pulled it off...

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=CSt2Uc8jck4

By cutting up the original. You'd achieve the same result with a proper custom exhaust. Probably at a considerably lower price.
  • epoxi and Xavierr like this

hvcciookay
  • hvcciookay

°°°°°°°

• Members
  • Wallis-And-Futuna

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

I feel like based on what i've read so far, a miata would be your best bet right now. Way cheaper, easier to work on, and did i say cheap? I wouldn't care less if i let my classmates work on it. Free service in my eyes.

Xavierr
  • Xavierr

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

Is the car automatic or manual?

Idk yet... He Hasn't answered lol. Hoping it's manual.

Xavierr
  • Xavierr

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

Your ideas are not worth the high price they would cost.  Engine swaps are not cheap or easy.  Finding the motor would be the cheap and easy part.  Not sure what the point of making one car's exhaust work for different car is.  Why not just buy a system that's made for it?  Or even having a muffler shop custom-make something would be much less headache and expense.

You would probably be putting at least 5x the cost of the car just into the modifications.

Okay I'll tone it down, just feeling a little over excited I guess. I've wanted the 350z for a pretty long time

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

You've definitely said some of the dumbest sh*t I've seen here in years. 

I've add to Sivi's points and say that Accuaire setups are pretty f*cking week. Save the money and spend it on decent coilovers (KW's. Maybe HKS Hypermax III's). 

I've seen some nice, fast 350Z's around and none of them included any of the stupid sh*t you just listed. 

• Outcast, *MURDOC*, Moth and 1 other like this

S99
  • S99

'StueyCow'

• Members
  • England

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:40 PM Edited by BAF-stueycow, 21 July 2014 - 07:05 PM.

Presuming your American In this topic btw.

Right First Question; How old are you, 12?

As Lurch Said "You've definitely said some of the dumbest sh*t I've seen here in years. "

Oh wait.... Your profile answers that question:

Birthday
January 1, 2013
Country
Mars 

Second... (Rounded Prices up to nearest round number)

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B006YC8V6I - Wheels - $850

http://www.ebay.com/...430affa&vxp=mtr - Engine (RB26DETT) - $4800

Accuair Suspension - Varies

R34 GTR exhuast - Couldnt find one that is the type you wanted,

So... How much is a 350z worth? Around $12k So you would be spending over the value of the car once you tweeked it anyways.

Also then you have insurance, and petrol costs. 

So... 9/10 of ur ideas are stupid,or impossible or a waste of money..

Also just because your doing a Automative Engineering corse dosnt mean you have all of the tools required or the skills knowing how to do something and actualy doing it are two seperate things .

Also if this isnt BS. Which I actualy think it is you would know if your UNCLES car is manual or automatic and other things about it  especialy if he is giving you a car  (meaning you should be close and friendly reltatives)

Also going to collage or what ever and talking about V6 lamo engine engines will make you have the piss took out of you. 

Xavierr
  • Xavierr

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

Ouch.

This is why I'm asking here, Iron out my ignorance here before I get the piss taken out of me irl.

I changed my age for personal reasons. And I'm not that close with my uncle.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:39 PM Edited by Lurch, 22 July 2014 - 09:01 AM.

The recipe for a nice Z isn't that hard. Assuming the engine/trans are solid it doesn't take too much. 

1. Decent coilovers. I've had one friend that had KW (V2's I think) and another with HKS Hypermax III's. Impressed with both but they're both pretty high dollar for single way adjustables. Over $2000. 

2. Good light wheels. 17x10 +18's RPF1's fit good all around. Only 17.25 lbs a piece. Cost around $1000 shipped for a set. 

3. Good tires. 255-275/40/17's will fit on a 10" wide wheel all around. R-S3's, RS-R's, NT05's. Figure $500-900 shipped for a good set of tires. Depending on what you want. 

4. Get rid of all the old rubber bushings. Poly or Delrin stuff is fairly cheap and durable. Spherical stuff (where applicable) cost a bit more but is more durable and doesn't bind up as bad. 

6. A good diff. Both of my friends with fast Z's ran Cusco 1.5 ways. They're around $1200ish new. 

5. Big stiff sway swaybars. Hotchkis makes some good stuff for Z's. 

6. Exhaust. Figure a decent stainless kit will run anywhere from $500 to 2 grand. You can make a good sounding VQ with the right setup. 

If you're not content with the power (realistically, a stock VQ35DE only makes around 230 whp), you can always go forced induction. My friend made 447 whp out of his VQ with a Vortech V3 supercharger, 2011 R35 injectors (570 CC I think), Osirus Uprev engine management, and custom stainless headers, and dual 2.5 to single 3" stainless exhaust. 

• *MURDOC* likes this

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Relevant jorts intensify.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:19 AM Edited by *MURDOC*, 22 July 2014 - 06:20 AM.

Good suggestions, except for the guy who is just laying the whole "I'm a complete dick and you're a total f*cking idiot lolololol"  on a little too thick.

Lurch and Sivi and pretty knowledgable  and good guys, I'd definitely take their suggestions seriously.

But I agree with everyone when I say you should cut out the "R34/Lambo parts" and stuff, they're cool cars, but there's no need to do something like that just so you can tell people you have "the exhaust from an R34 Skyline", because that's not really impressive or anything.

Just take your time, talk to people who know what they're talking about and have fun, the car should be for your enjoyment.

S99
  • S99

'StueyCow'

• Members
  • England

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

except for the guy who is just laying the whole "I'm a complete dick and you're a total f*cking idiot lolololol"  on a little too thick.

That Aimed towards me? or someone else?

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Relevant jorts intensify.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:10 PM

It was directed at the guy who was being an overly aggressive dick.

• epoxi and Mockage like this

Mockage
  • Mockage

Fljótavík

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

Sometimes, being dubious can be a beautiful thing.

• *MURDOC* likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:15 AM

yeah it's pretty clear that Xavier is young and lacking in basic knowledge about the topic.

I mean we were all young and ignorant at some point; yadda yadda yadda.

everybody loves feeling superior on the internet, but for the sake of young and budding car-enthusiasts everywhere, let's go a little softer next time.

kid has to start learning somewhere/sometime right? lest we just crush his exuberance before it can ever blossom like the jaded cynics we are :beerhat:

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:23 AM

Honestly, the first thing you should upgrade on a car is the brakes. If you want to increase you power later, you better have good brakes that can stop the car. 

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

Honestly, the first thing you should upgrade on a car is the brakes. If you want to increase you power later, you better have good brakes that can stop the car.

The standard brakes on a 350Z are more than good enough IMO. 4-pot fronts and twin pot rears. Aside from some decent pads and a fluid change you shouldn't need to do anything with them.

Zyo
  • Zyo

Homie

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:29 AM

Lets face it, the 350z is a pretty decent car to begin with. I would have one. But let's see him get his one first, then take it from there.

• Marwin Moody likes this

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:06 AM

The stock Brembos are awesome. Throw some good pads on (Hawk HP+ are nice. Carbotechs will bite harder but are said to eat rotors) and they'll be more than adequate. My friend tried putting the bigass Akebono kit from the G37's on but he had to run 18's which made the car slower so he went back to stock so he could run his 17" RPF1's. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users