Jumping?

78 replies to this topic
RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:45 AM

i missed where you could turn off the car or leave it running.

Me too. I got so emotional when I started up IV again and I could tap Y to get out the car and leave the engine running.

It's so useful in multiplayer to quickly get out a car, crouch, shoot at whoever is shooting you or whoever you're going to shoot at, kill them, jump back in and be off.

In V your character turns off the engine, takes their sweet time by closing the door, you have to use the cover system to crouch behind the car, and if you win the gun fight, you have to open the door and start the car back up again. It sucks when you've got someone coming after you or if you want to leave the scene quickly.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:56 AM

It's kind of funny when you think about it. When we first played GTA IV we probably didn't think of how useful it actually was being able to turn cars off or leaving them running. Crouching isn't GTA IV specific, but again because it's now been taken away its real usefulness is now being realised. I think a lot of these small, yet helpful features are taken for granted.

However there isn't a single thing I could think of from GTA V I would miss in GTA VI if it was taken away. The protagonists falling face first from falls, the useless stealth system, face planting into walls etc. I wouldn't miss any of this stuff if it was removed.

• PSgtaplayer1, Kampret and Misunderstood like this

PSgtaplayer1
  • PSgtaplayer1

Collector

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

It's kind of funny when you think about it. When we first played GTA IV we probably didn't think of how useful it actually was being able to turn cars off or leaving them running. Crouching isn't GTA IV specific, but again because it's now been taken away its real usefulness is now being realised. I think a lot of these small, yet helpful features are taken for granted.

However there isn't a single thing I could think of from GTA V I would miss in GTA VI if it was taken away. The protagonists falling face first from falls, the useless stealth system, face planting into walls etc. I wouldn't miss any of this stuff if it was removed.

^ THIS, but you forgot stealth mode lol jk. 

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

being able to turn cars off or leaving them running. 

How was this useful?

• Fuzzknuckles likes this

Apex Predator
  • Apex Predator

Go big or go home

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

being able to turn cars off or leaving them running. 

How was this useful?

For quick getaways? It would be really useful for robbing stores, picking up suitcases etc. Also it's good for roleplaying, if you're into that. I really don't understand why they took such a simple, yet useful thing out. Oh well, PC version is coming out in a few months anyway :)

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• Members
  • India

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:01 AM Edited by Vercetti42, 23 July 2014 - 11:02 AM.

"Quick getaways" really? I think the engine turns off after sometime. Apart from role-playing purposes I found this feature to be useless.

So no it isn't a game breaker to me.

Apex Predator
  • Apex Predator

Go big or go home

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

"Quick getaways" really? I think the engine turns off after sometime. Apart from role-playing purposes I found this feature to be useless.

So no it isn't a game breaker to me.

Noboby said anything about it being "game breaking".

And yes, quick getaways. I can't tell you the number of times I been shot to death by cops after stopping for a second to pick up a dropped briefcase because my genius character decided to turn off his engine for some reason.

• Kampret and Misunderstood like this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• Members
  • India

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:51 PM Edited by Vercetti42, 23 July 2014 - 12:53 PM.

I don't know man, I have had the same thing happening in IV too, if you went far away the engine would magically turn off.

Maybe I should see for myself. IV's physics, while great, were annoying some times when I had Niko running from the cops and he'd fall on the road with the slightest touch.

I am on my phone ATM, so I will check out the engine thing soon. :)

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:36 PM Edited by Blennerville, 23 July 2014 - 01:44 PM.

I think people are getting confused - Noting being able to turn off the engine is not the problem - being able to turn off the car had no practical function (but there is no reason to remove the feature).

The problem is that now in GTA5 you cant just simply get out of the car - for some reason he turns off the engine every time which means you have to turn it back on each time you get back in which is time wasted. 

Where as in every game before you left the engine running when getting out.

But its not like GTa4 was anything great.

Every single thing you do in the HD games is so slow and clunky - breaking into a car and driving away is so frustratingly slow.

The physics and mechanics are stupid - they are not good in either GTA4 or GTA5.

I much prefer the practical and functional mechanics of the 3d era where you just jumped into a parked car and it started straight away over hd era where you have to hotwire the car which is not practical when you are usually on the run - its just annoying.

R* making their own game engine was a bad idea.

• Osho likes this

poland stronk
  • poland stronk

Crackhead

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:49 PM Edited by poland stronk, 23 July 2014 - 01:50 PM.

I think people are getting confused - Noting being able to turn off the engine is not the problem - being able to turn off the car had no practical function (but there is no reason to remove the feature).

The problem is that now in GTA5 you cant just simply get out of the car - for some reason he turns off the engine every time which means you have to turn it back on each time you get back in which is time wasted. 

Where as in every game before you left the engine running when getting out.

But its not like GTa4 was anything great.

Every single thing you do in the HD games is so slow due clunky - breaking into a car and driving away is so frustratingly slow.

The physics and mechanics are stupid - they are not good in either GTA4 or GTA5.

I much prefer the practical and functional mechanics of the 3d era where you just jumped into a parked car and it started straight away over hd era where you have to hotwire the car which is not practical when you are usually on the run - its just annoying.

At least they are now fixing on-foot movement, driving model and covering system. Those things annoyed me most in GTA IV.

GTA: San Andreas did it right, semi-realistic character/vehicle controls was just encouraging you to play more and more.

If I wanted simulation and realism I would just grab the keys from my desk and cruise around or jog in real life.

Wheatley
  • Wheatley

I'm living in High Pressure Days.

• Members

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:18 PM Edited by Wheatley, 23 July 2014 - 02:18 PM.

One of the features I miss most from GTA IV is the ability to push people using B/O on the controller or left clicking without targeting someone. Thanks to the new engine at the time it was hilarious seeing Niko push people down flights of stairs or onto the subway tracks because it wasn't seen that much before in any other game. I suppose the replacement for this feature was the ragdoll button but the "push" feature had more context and realism to it compared to just jumping and flailing about.

Also, I wish they incorporated the feature of "beat downs" from Red Dead into GTA Online. Your "fists" couldn't kill another player and instead only knock them down for a while, this made it hilarious when fighting a friend on the edge of a steep cliff or while on top a building in Armadillo or Blackwater. Instead, it appears your character is so strong they can kill a person with their fists instead of knocking them down.

• Kampret and Misunderstood like this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:00 AM

It's more about the principle of choice. In GTA IV if you wanted to leave your engine running for any reason you could. If you wanted to turn it off you could also do that. I agree that on its own turning off a car may not have much of a practical purpose, but it's the choice of having the option to do it in the first place. GTA V is restrictive in this regard because the protagonists turn them off no matter what and the 3D era was the complete opposite.

Cars were left running whenever you got out of them with no option to turn them off. I always thought even when the games were new that was complete bollocks. GTA IV/EFLC allows us to do BOTH. I believe that's what most people have a gripe with not being possible now.

It's kind of like what the OP is talking about regarding jumping in place. Sure it doesn't really do all that much from a gameplay point of view, but being able to do it is the point he's trying to make. Why take it away?

Anyway it's a matter of preference I guess, but the 3D era feels like ass (physics wise) compared to GTA IV/EFLC IMO. GTA V feels like it doesn't know whether it wants to be like GTA IV/EFLC or Saints Row.

• PSgtaplayer1 and Kampret like this

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:28 AM Edited by Blennerville, 25 July 2014 - 04:47 PM.

It's more about the principle of choice. In GTA IV if you wanted to leave your engine running for any reason you could. If you wanted to turn it off you could also do that. I agree that on its own turning off a car may not have much of a practical purpose, but it's the choice of having the option to do it in the first place. GTA V is restrictive in this regard because the protagonists turn them off no matter what and the 3D era was the complete opposite.

Cars were left running whenever you got out of them with no option to turn them off. I always thought even when the games were new that was complete bollocks. GTA IV/EFLC allows us to do BOTH. I believe that's what most people have a gripe with not being possible now.

It's kind of like what the OP is talking about regarding jumping in place. Sure it doesn't really do all that much from a gameplay point of view, but being able to do it is the point he's trying to make. Why take it away?

Anyway it's a matter of preference I guess, but the 3D era feels like ass (physics wise) compared to GTA IV/EFLC IMO. GTA V feels like it doesn't know whether it wants to be like GTA IV/EFLC or Saints Row.

(but there is no reason to remove the feature).

I did say there was no reason to remove it. But I still stand by my point that if it was like the 3D games it would be find. Turning off the engine feature was a pointless waste of development time imo (just like a lot of other stuff in the HD era - like hotwiring the cars taking a few seconds, and in GTA5 you cars even rolls back a bit when you start it on a hill).

Dont get me wrong turning off the car wasnt a bad feature, it was kinda cool, but it was pointless - but it was already in GTA4 so why would you then go and remove it - logic ??.

But ya the problem in gta5 is that you cant leave the car running - (which is only a very minor problem in relation to how long it takes to steal a car and drive off in the first place in the HD era).

I find it funny - before when cars used to turn upside down and you would have to run on foot for a long time - people complained. R* add a good feature so that if you are out in the middle of the country and your cars turns over with no other cars around you can flip it back over so that you dont have to run - people complain that it looks stupid.

Regardless of what some people think that was a good feature and it was a good idea to add it. 

Id put leaving the engine running 24/7 from the 3d era games in the same category - its not realistic but its practical and better for the game. 

The physics in GTA4 and GTA5 both feel like ass to me - its kinda like R* are just showing off their tech/specs etc... - looks cool but its just annoying and pointless like faceplanting when jumping. And its also not realistic.

PSgtaplayer1
  • PSgtaplayer1

Collector

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

Well, GTA isn't realistic in many aspects, but I have to disagree about putting 'leaving the engine running' in the same category as magically flipping your car over without help from another car. Being able to leave the engine running was, yes, very practical and useful, as well as realistic. People can leave the car running for a while if they were going to on foot for a while. If something like gas (I'm assuming would be the only unrealistic problem, but GTA 5 doesn't even make you fill your car with gas...so yeah) is the problem, I know that people will go like "why leave the engine running? Your gas bill will increase!" Why does the character need to turn the engine off if he/she was only going to, let's say, buy a soda or shoot some people, then turning the engine off isn't even practical. IDK, the feature was on of the most useful things in GTA 4 and the fact that it was removed in GTA 5 kinda bugged me. Wish they would find a way to add it back into the game, as well as crouching...jumping, would be cool if they added it, but if they didn't, I wouldn't really mind too much. 

• SonOfLiberty, Blennerville, Kampret and 1 other like this

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:07 PM Edited by Osho, 24 July 2014 - 12:40 PM.

I didn't enjoy some animations in GTA IV mostly because the way engine handles certain simple actions, feel a bit slow in response. It wasn't really smooth, and importantly, fast or quick, the way in old games players always can clearly get fast into the car and drive.
Similarly, character movements are slightly slugish in M, T, F or Niko.

You know, the moments like these make me appreciate the simplicity over more annoying realism in certain aspects of modern games, and in general.

( talking about PC version of GTA IV )
  • Blennerville likes this

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:01 PM Edited by Blennerville, 25 July 2014 - 04:32 PM.

Well, GTA isn't realistic in many aspects, but I have to disagree about putting 'leaving the engine running' in the same category as magically flipping your car over without help from another car. Being able to leave the engine running was, yes, very practical and useful, as well as realistic. People can leave the car running for a while if they were going to on foot for a while. If something like gas (I'm assuming would be the only unrealistic problem, but GTA 5 doesn't even make you fill your car with gas...so yeah) is the problem, I know that people will go like "why leave the engine running? Your gas bill will increase!" Why does the character need to turn the engine off if he/she was only going to, let's say, buy a soda or shoot some people, then turning the engine off isn't even practical. IDK, the feature was on of the most useful things in GTA 4 and the fact that it was removed in GTA 5 kinda bugged me. Wish they would find a way to add it back into the game, as well as crouching...jumping, would be cool if they added it, but if they didn't, I wouldn't really mind too much. 

I agree with - I like the leaving the engine running feature.

Maybe i didnt make it clear - what i mean when i said leaving the car running is in the same category as flipping the car - i meant like how in GTA3, VC and SA you left the engine running 24/7 - it may have been unrealistic but it was a good thing - very practical and good for the game the same as flipping your car isnt realistic, but its good for the game.

I just think people are mixing things up - the only real problem is that you cannot leave the engine running in GTA5 (just like you could in GTA3, VC, SA and also GTA4 which was very practical) - thats what most people are complaining about,

its just that they are confusing it with also being able to manually turn off the engine in GTA4 - which while it wasnt a bad thing (its was kinda cool, kinda like extra skins free is kinda cool), was kinda pointless, but when R* already went to the bother of putting that feature in GTA4 - they should have just left it in GTA5 (but I wouldnt care as long as cars engines stayed on 24/7).

For me, the engine on/off thing is just a small part of a much bigger problem in the HD era games - how long it takes over all  for you to steal a car and drive away - it is so annoyingly slow and usually results in death if you have a wanted level - its one of those things where they put realism over practicality and its stupid.

Thats the Fun vs Realism argument right there.

With certain things realism is fine and you can have both realism and fun but in situations like stealing a car putting in realism like there is in GTA4 and GTA5 is just a stupid move and its not fun.

Thats why people say Fun > Realism.

• Osho and PSgtaplayer1 like this

RichyBeats
  • RichyBeats

Peon

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

I agree with - I like the leaving the engine running feature.

Maybe i didnt make it clear - what i mean when i said leaving the car running is in the same category as flipping the car - i meant like how in GTA3, VC and SA you left the engine running 24/7 - it may have been unrealistic but it was a good thing - very practical and good for the game the same as flipping your car isnt realistic, but its good for the game.

I just think people are mixing things up - the only real problem is that you cannot leave the engine running in GTA5 (just like you could in GTA3, VC, SA and also GTA4 which was very practical) - thats what most people are complaining about,
its just that they are confusing it with also being able to manually turn off the engine in GTA4 - which while it wasnt a bad thing (its was kinda cool, kinda like extra skins free is kinda cool), was kinda pointless, but when R* already went to the bother of putting that feature in GTA4 - they should have just left it in GTA5 (but I wouldnt care as long as cars engines stayed on 24/7).

For the engine thing is just a small part of a much bigger problem in the HD era games - how long it takes over all  for you to steal a car and drive away - it is so annoyingly slow and usually results in death if you have a wanted level - its one of those things where they put realism over practicality and its stupid.
Thats the Fun vs Realism argument right there.
With certain things realism is fine and you can have both realism and fun but in situations like stealing a car putting in realism like there is in GTA4 and GTA5 is just a stupid move and its not fun.
Thats why people say Fun > Realism.
But then you could say that it would be fun to actually do the hot wiring and the fact that the police spawn too quickly is really the issue.
I thought when rockstar mentioned about planning an escape from cops it meant just that and not dealing with agent smith cops that pop up from nowhere.

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:44 PM Edited by Andreas, 26 July 2014 - 12:34 AM. Removed quote-train.

But then you could say that it would be fun to actually do the hot wiring and the fact that the police spawn too quickly is really the issue.

I thought when rockstar mentioned about planning an escape from cops it meant just that and not dealing with agent smith cops that pop up from nowhere.

Its just not practical to have to hotwire the cars.

Forget about spawning - say you are on a foot chase and you are 100m ahead of the cops - it should be more than enough room for you to jump into a parked car and safely drive away - but the reality is that it takes so long to punch through the glass, get in, hotwire the car that the cops will be right on you and get a few shots off through thw windows. = very annoying.

Its the same as when you want to jump out of a car/plane when its traveling fast - you see something up ahead and decide you have loads of time and you press the button to jump out. The process taking so long that you have already crashed into that thing that you thought was ages away.

Things like these just leave me feeling depressed. This stuff in the HD era is just not fun and makes me want to not play.

Compared to the 3D era where it was fast and fun.

Another example would be stealing the jet at the air base - takes forever just to get into the seat - its not fun and it just completely turns me off.

The so called realistic physics and mechanics take all the fun out.

PSgtaplayer1
  • PSgtaplayer1

Collector

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:28 AM

^ lol Don't even remind me about trying to steal a jet. You'd be nearly dead when you actually sit in the jet and probably die the moment you're takingoff.

And the cops. Holy crap. Who thought it was a good idea to spawn cops out of nowhere and have none actually patroling the streets? Even the helicopters are annoying as hell. "Hey! Let's allow helicopters to just appeare out of thin air and put it directly on the path that the player is going so that he can't lose his wanted level!" Oh yeah, cops have an HQ at the top of Mount Chilliad because they're that good.

Sorry 'bout that, not really related to jumping or crouching or hotwiring, but the cops just really grind my gears. Talk about realism, right?..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users