Jumping?

78 replies to this topic
PatG
  • PatG

Tesco Value Memes

• Van Society
  • Philippines

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

Well, I'm not sure if this question has ever been raised before, but why did Rockstar decide to change the mechanics for jumping in GTA 5?

In GTA 4, we were able to jump in place or we didn't need to be moving to be able to jump. In GTA 5, we need to at least be moving (even by a little) to be allowed to jump. What if I want t jump onto a ledge above me, but can't do so because I'd have to run and then jump. I do know that in most cases, the game will climb the ledge for you, but I kinda want to be able to jump in place. It just seems like a hassle for me since I end up missing so many jumps and eventually plummeting to my death. 

• GroundZero, Legomanarthur, Darth_Starkiller and 6 others like this

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

Aeropress

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:14 AM Edited by The7thOne, 22 July 2014 - 11:30 AM.

This. Also, why did they remove crouching and the camera when you pushed the thumbstick up? It's inconvenient.

• TheOtherRyan, GroundZero, Choco Taco and 6 others like this

PatG
  • PatG

Tesco Value Memes

• Van Society
  • Philippines

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

This. Also, why did they remove crouching and the camera when you pushed the thumbstick down? It's inconvenient.

^^ Yeah that too. Crouching actually allowed you to be more accurate in GTA 4 and now, we have stealth mode that practically nobody uses because it's kinda useless (especially in PvP situations)

• GroundZero, IGhostUlt, fac316 and 4 others like this

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

Aeropress

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

This. Also, why did they remove crouching and the camera when you pushed the thumbstick down? It's inconvenient.

^^ Yeah that too. Crouching actually allowed you to be more accurate in GTA 4 and now, we have stealth mode that practically nobody uses because it's kinda useless (especially in PvP situations)

Kinda? That's an understatement, haha.

There's no point to use stealth mode in GTAO unless you're boosting your character's stats. Also, I've seen its change to recoil negligible at best. Crouching > Stealth Mode. I wish they allowed you to use both by using this:

Left stick: Crouch

LB + RB (clicked) Stealth mode.

That would help out a lot in my opinion.

PatG
  • PatG

Tesco Value Memes

• Van Society
  • Philippines

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

Kinda? That's an understatement, haha.

There's no point to use stealth mode in GTAO unless you're boosting your character's stats. Also, I've seen its change to recoil negligible at best. Crouching > Stealth Mode. I wish they allowed you to use both by using this:

Left stick: Crouch

LB + RB (clicked) Stealth mode.

That would help out a lot in my opinion.

Yeahp. I agree. That's actually a really smart way to integrate crouching into GTA 5. Think we can start a petition to add crouching to the game? HAHAHA   

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

I guess they would simply improve it with future updates along side next-gen.
Since there are not just one, probably many other things make no sense too.
  • robban likes this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

There wasn't enough room for these no brainer mechanics because yoga took the rest of it up.
  • Spaghetti Cat, Legomanarthur, The Odyssey and 11 others like this

Apex Predator
  • Apex Predator

git gud or get rekt

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

There is literally no point at all to jumping in place, I have no idea why that was even a thing in IV.

I'm not sure what you're complaining about, so what if you have to be walking? It doesn't stop you from climbing a ledge above you.

• Gregers08, Cutter De Blanc, FromBrnoCity and 1 other like this

PatG
  • PatG

Tesco Value Memes

• Van Society
  • Philippines

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:43 PM Edited by PSgtaplayer1, 20 July 2014 - 11:17 AM.

I wasn't really complaining. It's just a mere observation I've noticed. It doesn't really matter to me if jumping doesn't get added or anything, but I would've like to crouch and get more accurate shots rather than go into stealth mode and die way faster.

There wasn't enough room for these no brainer mechanics because yoga took the rest of it up.

Yes, yoga, the one extra feature in GTA 5 that barely anyone uses. I would rather they allow us to go buy food from fast food chains than do yoga, honestly. Oh well. I don't control how GTA 5 is made so i'll just leave it up to Rockstar.

There is literally no point at all to jumping in place, I have no idea why that was even a thing in IV.

I'm not sure what you're complaining about, so what if you have to be walking? It doesn't stop you from climbing a ledge above you.

It was pretty fun launching ourselves off ramp in GTA 4. By that, I mean, jumping and then getting rammed by a car while on a ramp. You get so high up lol. It's not meant to give someone like a strategic advantage over another player or prove to be the most useful feature in GTA, but it was a feature used for fun. It's a sandbox, isn't? Why can't I do something as simple as jump in place?

• TheOtherRyan, IGhostUlt, matajuegos01 and 1 other like this

Silent
  • Silent

Altering R* Vision™ since 2008

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Poland
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Script/Plugin 2014 [SilentPatch]
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2014
    Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 [ViceCityStories PC Edition]
    Best Vehicle 2013 [III Aircraft]
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

Console limitations, yeah :pp
  • TheOtherRyan, Sergiu, Kampret and 1 other like this

Gummy 
  • Gummy 

Blue, blue, electric blue. That's the color of my room.

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

Wasn't it like that since TLaD and TBOGT?

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

Wasn't it like that since TLaD and TBOGT?

No, you could still crouch and jump in place
  • fac316 likes this

thafablifee46
  • thafablifee46

punk ass bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:23 PM

There is a point to jumping in place if you wanna jump onto something but in V you have to be moving and most people end up faceplanting
  • fac316 and Blennerville like this

Aleph-Zero
  • Aleph-Zero

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:23 PM

The biggest appeal of the GTA franchise is that you can do anything you want. If i want to jump in place, so be it. If i want to jump to death off of a bridge, so be it. If i want to deliberately kill an important character during a mission (regardless of the mission failing) so be it.

• TheOtherRyan, IGhostUlt, PatG and 2 others like this

ItsThatGuy!
  • ItsThatGuy!

Why is Goofy a talking dog but Pluto is a DOG DOG?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

I like the GTA 3 jumping. It's very limited.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

There is a point to jumping in place if you wanna jump onto something but in V you have to be moving and most people end up faceplanting

That's odd, I remember I could still climb onto/jump onto a ledge while standing in the same spot in V.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

There is one mechanic to jumping that changed and royally pissed me off. No more jumping gaps and grabbing ledges like the IV protagonists could do. Instead your character just flops hard and falls on their face. This is so fail. I hope someone can mod it in for pc because Rockstar sure as hell won't be fixing it, just like crouch.
  • Darth_Starkiller, IGhostUlt, fac316 and 3 others like this

Apex Predator
  • Apex Predator

git gud or get rekt

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:07 PM Edited by Apex Predator, 19 July 2014 - 08:07 PM.

@Aleph-Zero Those other examples have a point to them, jumping in place is literally pointless and really annoying too. In that one Packie mission, I remember having to shimmy across a ledge and unless you stood exactly in the right spot, Niko would just jump in place like an asshole instead of grabbing the ledge. I honestly don't understand why that feature was in the game considering none of the older games had it. 

@thafablifee46 There's a difference between jumping in place and jumping and grabbing something above you.

I agree with DaRkL3AD3R, not being able to grab & hang off ledges and ragdolling for no reason does suck.

NDH92
  • NDH92

@NDH_92

• Members
  • England

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

When you jump, the character misses and then goes flying into a wall, that's really unnecessary in a video game. If your balance was that bad you wouldn't be able to jump high in the first place.

ddyoung
  • ddyoung

Get freaky... Not that freaky

• Members
  • England

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

Overall, Rockstar made a better game, but removed so many little things that made GTA IV great.

• GroundZero, Choco Taco, Lock N' Stock and 7 others like this

Deus Ex
  • Deus Ex

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

Agree.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:07 AM

Yep. If you're standing next to a surface high enough Niko just jumps straight up and climbs over. It's annoying in GTA V when it results in a face plant.

For me the physics in GTA V feel weird.
  • IGhostUlt and Misunderstood like this

fefenc
  • fefenc

All are equal no discrimination, Son of a Gun, a simple equation

• BUSTED!
  • Brazil

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:14 AM Edited by fefenc, 20 July 2014 - 04:14 AM.

Yep. If you're standing next to a surface high enough Niko just jumps straight up and climbs over. It's annoying in GTA V when it results in a face plant.

For me the physics in GTA V feel weird.

with exception of the GTA V smoothness character controls, I want GTA IV character control style back (crouching, grabbing things, climbing on the ledges, etc)

• IGhostUlt likes this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:19 AM

I agree that the controls are smoother (as they should be), but I miss the intricate details present in GTA IV that GTA V excluded for no reason.
  • Tikhung and Misunderstood like this

Tikhung
  • Tikhung

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:20 AM

This change is f*cking pointless. Now whenever I want to jump while the grenade explodes, I have to MOVE?

• IGhostUlt and PatG like this

PatG
  • PatG

Tesco Value Memes

• Van Society
  • Philippines

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

This change is f*cking pointless. Now whenever I want to jump while the grenade explodes, I have to MOVE?

Exactly. That was so much fun to do back then.  We wont get as high as we used to now that we have to move. 

Also, why did the even add the faceplanting in GTA 5? I always get in killed in TDMs or missions because I faceplant when I try to climb over a fence/ledge...and if faceplanting wasn't enough, it would take your character 18 years to get up from the ground. 

• IGhostUlt, Tikhung and Misunderstood like this

PatG
  • PatG

Tesco Value Memes

• Van Society
  • Philippines

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

Anyone also noticed that we can't keep engines on anymore after we leave our cars? Back in GTA 4, we were able to manually turn the engine off or keep it on incase we wanted a quick getaway, but now, we have to wait such a long time to start up the car. By then, we would've been shot to death. If jumping in place and crouching not being in the game was bad, I don't even know where to put this cause this was a really convenient feature in GTA 4.

• TheOtherRyan, GroundZero, Choco Taco and 5 others like this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

Anyone also noticed that we can't keep engines on anymore after we leave our cars? Back in GTA 4, we were able to manually turn the engine off or keep it on incase we wanted a quick getaway, but now, we have to wait such a long time to start up the car. By then, we would've been shot to death. If jumping in place and crouching not being in the game was bad, I don't even know where to put this cause this was a really convenient feature in GTA 4.

Apparently this still exists in GTA V, but you have to be in the fighting stance or some other bullsh*t outside of the car. It's never worked for me though.

I'm sure it wasn't that hard to use what was in GTA IV.

PatG
  • PatG

Tesco Value Memes

• Van Society
  • Philippines

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

Apparently this still exists in GTA V, but you have to be in the fighting stance or some other bullsh*t outside of the car. It's never worked for me though.

I'm sure it wasn't that hard to use what was in GTA IV.

Yeah, but the fighting stance technique/glitch (if you want to classify that as a glitch) isn't a 100% sure method. It's too much of a hassle to do. 

Trevorphilipjfry
  • Trevorphilipjfry

Sandy Shores surfer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

I remember once in GTA 4 online, a mate of mine's bike spiralled put of control, and went sliding down the road on it's side, about to swipemy ankles an kill me. I just tapped A, and just did a little jump over it, and I looked like a total boss, with all my friends watching.

It was kinda cool, but I'm more bothered about crouching. But I think it's probably too late to be added :(
  • TheOtherRyan, IGhostUlt, Kampret and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users