Quantcast

» «
Photo

Weapon discuss- unrealistic sounds of weapons in 3D era?

31 replies to this topic
MrVance
  • MrVance

Mark Chump

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

I would like to discuss about weapons in 3D era only. Because i don`t have many complaints on HD era`s weapons. I want to see what you guys think about that. Maybe many of you are also real life gun enthusiasts just like me so that kind of things could bug you. I`ve shot with most of the main weapons in real life that are presented in GTA games except for heavy artillery and combat shotgun so i can make a comparison between ingame weapons and real life ones.

GTA3;

9 mm pistol, this got to be the most underrated weapon in GTA games since you need 4 shots to kill someone. It aint nothing like the real world 9mm. In real world 9mm isn`t  always one-shot stop weapon like .45 is but it`s pretty good caliber which needs 1-2 well placed shots and only 1 well placed shot with hollow point bullet.

So i`m asking myself why GTA made this weapon so weak in their games?

M16- in GTA 3 is however overrated as it`s always 1-shot-kill which isn`t always the case in real life.

And what is even more ridiculous is it`s uncontrollable burst which is more wild than from AK. Considering that it eats NATO ammunition 5.56 mm it`s real life burst is quite controlable and accurate.

And what`s the bigest pain in the ass is it`s sound. In GTA3 sounds like a rattle snake more than automatic burst.

sniper rifle- far too quiet sound for some .50 caliber sniper rifle.

uzi- rate of fire is ok but again it`s firing sound is too quiet.

What annoys me with weapons in GTA 3 is that when bullet hits a wall it makes that stupid sound that is nothing like in real world.

AK47- again, too quiet shot sound

GTA VC

9mm pistol- again not loud enough

.357 MAG pretty OK

TEC9- realy good and realistic fire rate and sound

MP5- no complaints

MAC 10- great reality of fast firing rate (1200 rds per minute) but again not loud enough

M4- still a little bit too heavy recoill and poor acuracy while standing which contradics real life`s M4

Kruger- far too slow fire rate, it`s real life compagnion has aprox 600 rds/minute

12 gauge- OK, no complaints except a bit too quiet again

sawn-off shotgun- OK

SPAS 12- a bit too fast fire rate and strange sound

GTA SA those weapon skills altough there are fun to practice but they are totaly unrealistic, since when does shooting skills improve a fire rate? Come on now! It improves targeting, aiming and accuracy but not fire rate

9mm pistol- give me a break, that`s got to be the most unrealistic shot sound, it sounds like a small firecracker it`s annoying as hell.

9mm silenced pistol- far too weak and too slow fire rate since it`s very fast in real life when you`re pulling the trigger fast. Altough great sound almost as in real world when you have subsonic ammo.

Micro uzi- good firing rate but strange sound

TEC 9- pretty ok but since when firing rate depends on when you`re standing or duck?

12 gauge- pretty ok

Sawn-off - imagine that you have a double barreled sawn off in each hand, now how the hell you`re going to reload that in a second?

Combat (SPAS 12)- OK, no complaints, very realistic

AK47- pretty ok

M4- Ok

farm rifle- too weak and strange sound

sniper rifle- pretty ok

Desert eagle .50 AE- altough the recoil is quite realistic but sound is not explosive enough for this type of weapon

GTA VCS & LCS

.45 pistol - again like in all 3D games far too weak and far too quiet

.357- way too quiet

12 GAUGE- strangely OK in VCS but way too quiet in LCS

sawn off- so so

SPAS 12- strange sound

AK 47- very good and realistic

M4- pretty ok

TEC 9- ok

MAC 10- ok

Uzi- way to quiet

semi auto sniper rifle (is it .338 hornet? i forgot the caliber)- too fast firing rate, you can`t shoot so fast with that thing, it`s recoil is too heavy besides you can`t reload it so fast lol

So that`s about it, the main problem in GTA 3D era weapons is their sounds, half of them are twice as quiet as in real life. And fire rate which is either too slow or too fast.

What do you guys think about that?

• ObsydianRaven likes this

TheFlareEntercounter
  • TheFlareEntercounter

Arms Dealer

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

The biggest problem in the weapon sounds in all GTA games is that all weapons sound different. This is very wrong, seeing that in real life all kinds of firearms sound the same. Only the volume of the sounds varies from calibre to calibre. And the supersonic crack of the bullets is also missing. I hope they fix that in future installments.

MrVance
  • MrVance

Mark Chump

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:11 PM Edited by MrVance, 17 July 2014 - 05:35 PM.

The biggest problem in the weapon sounds in all GTA games is that all weapons sound different. This is very wrong, seeing that in real life all kinds of firearms sound the same. Only the volume of the sounds varies from calibre to calibre. And the supersonic crack of the bullets is also missing. I hope they fix that in future installments.

Exactly! The shot sound mainly depends on a caliber and barrel lenght.

And the damage factor is too weak for most of the weapons. When you have any SMG you need to shoot a burst of 3-4 bullets into some ped if you wan`t to kill him. Come on in real life 1 or 2 bullets are more than enough if well placed. And that is in 9mm machine gun let alone some MAC 10 with it`s .45 rounds. 

So these things are totaly messed up and R* should realy do some homework before they began to install weapons in their game.

Who`s ever fired any weapon in real life will find this messed up and annoying.

Not to mention the AI of NPC`s in GTA SA, they suck at shooting. Look at the SWAT team in SA they`re shooting their micro UZI`s with one hand only. And in gangsta style that is, gun tilted sideway..

Come on, imagine real SWAT member shooting that way? :cry:

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Mark Chump

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:29 PM Edited by Blennerville, 17 July 2014 - 06:32 PM.

i think you should discuss this on a gun forum.

this is a GAME.

the only complaint I have is that GTA SA weapons sound and look much worse than GTA3 and VC.

Severe
  • Severe

Dreamer

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:36 PM Edited by Severe, 17 July 2014 - 06:36 PM.

You missed one of the great-sounding weapons, the M60 in VC. VC had pretty great weapon sounds all around, while SA was pretty all around terrible. I don't think there was a single weapon in that game that sounded awesome, everything sounded like a piss-poor recording, with the bass turned all the way down. Or worse.

I don't think the goal should be realistic gun sounds, as has been pointed out, most weapons are fairly (although not completely) similar in real life. And that just isn't very interesting. Leave that to ArmA and the like, but in GTA, which is more like a Hollywood action movie at heart, weapons should sound (and behave) distinctly, even if it's not perfectly realistic. It's just more interesting, to me at least.

MrVance
  • MrVance

Mark Chump

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

i think you should discuss this on a gun forum.

this is a GAME.

the only complaint I have is that GTA SA weapons sound and look much worse than GTA3 and VC.

Well this is a GTA game forum and i`m discussing about INGAME weapons which i compare  to the real life weapons. I know it`s a gta game which doesn`t have much incommon with realism but still i don`t want to shoot with some M16 that sounds like a f*cking rattle snake. It kills all the fun.

But i agree with @severe on that weapons look pretty similar to real life one`s. Except their characteristic sucks big time.

Yeah the VC, VCS and LCS`s M60 was great in all the ways. In that mission phnom penh 1986 you had the actuall feeling that you are in the middle of vietnamese war, firing M60 from heli down in the jungle :lol:

I just didn`t put it out to a comparison because unfortunately i`ve never fired M60 in real life.

kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homeboy

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:22 PM

GTA III M16, GTA IV SMG and GTA V ASSAULT SHOTGUN are my favorite ones of all time

• SonOfLiberty likes this

browar25
  • browar25

Cyber Assassin

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:07 PM Edited by browar25, 17 July 2014 - 10:08 PM.

As long as we hear fake sounds of weapons in movies I can't complain about games :) And fake sounds in 3d era games don't surprise me me at all since these games were more focused on massive rampage than on realism. M16 in GTA 3 is actually my favourite gun of all GTA games. Maybe it sounds like a snake but I like it. IMO it emphasises this unbelievable rate of fire. Spraying groups of enemies with this gun is a pure pleasure.

MrVance
  • MrVance

Mark Chump

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

As long as we hear fake sounds of weapons in movies I can't complain about games :) And fake sounds in 3d era games don't surprise me me at all since these games were more focused on massive rampage than on realism. M16 in GTA 3 is actually my favourite gun of all GTA games. Maybe it sounds like a snake but I like it. IMO it emphasises this unbelievable rate of fire. Spraying groups of enemies with this gun is a pure pleasure.

True  :lol: . Well i wont deny that isn`t a pure fun taking down peds with M16 in GTA3.

However R* really made 9mm pistol weak like it would be an airsoft gun. And that ain`t fair  :blink:

Phoenix_Shit
  • Phoenix_Shit

First rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about fight club.

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

Well for their respective time, 3D era games where awesome when it came to weapon sound. Sure its outdated now, but back then it was the real deal from R*. GTA V IMO is the best when it comes to weapon mechanics

Severe
  • Severe

Dreamer

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

Well for their respective time, 3D era games where awesome when it came to weapon sound. Sure its outdated now, but back then it was the real deal from R*. GTA V IMO is the best when it comes to weapon mechanics

Eh, even for the time, SA had bad sound, I remember being very unimpressed with many weapons.

• TheFlareEntercounter likes this

TheFlareEntercounter
  • TheFlareEntercounter

Arms Dealer

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:39 AM Edited by TheFlareEntercounter, 18 July 2014 - 11:39 AM.

Not all movies had fake gunshot sounds. Did you ever watch Heat? All the gunshot effects in that movie are production sounds, which means they were not edited in any way. They sound mind-blowing. Here, have a look at this:

• browar25 likes this

browar25
  • browar25

Cyber Assassin

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:21 PM Edited by browar25, 18 July 2014 - 01:02 PM.

Not all movies had fake gunshot sounds. Did you ever watch Heat?

Of course I have, many times. It's easy to notice that GTA V (in many aspects) and bank robbery mission in GTA IV are based on this movie. Another good movie with realistic sounds of weapons is Collateral with an epic scene when TC kills two muggers. Unfortunately, most movies have fake sounds, Collateral and Heat are among few exceptions.

However R* really made 9mm pistol weak like it would be an airsoft gun. And that ain`t fair  :blink:

I think they did it for a purpose. If a pistol had killed with 1-2 shots then you wouldn't have seen a difference between the pistol and assault rifle. In terms of lethality, of course. I think they wanted us to feel a difference in order to encourage us to collect other 10 packages to get a more powerful gun. Another question is if guns are as lethal as we think. I found some doubts when I had read about Miami shootout and other situations like this.

• TheFlareEntercounter likes this

Phoenix_Shit
  • Phoenix_Shit

First rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about fight club.

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

Eh, even for the time, SA had bad sound, I remember being very unimpressed with many weapons.

No offense to you, but to people who thought SA had bad sound effects to guns back in 04' were proabably bitching too much. 

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

I still think the pistol sound in GTA SA is th most accurate, sure it sounds like a firecracker but it's loud as f*ck

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I see nothing but good things for you my boy.

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

I love Vice City's minigun. Everything about it, including the awesome sound.

MrVance
  • MrVance

Mark Chump

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

I love Vice City's minigun. Everything about it, including the awesome sound.

Yeah it`s appearance and sound are awesome but the fact that you can`t aim at all sucks. All you can do with that is shoot forward so i find that weapon in VC completely useless. Shame realy, just look what kind of killer machine minigun was in SA, VCS and LCS.

In VC M60 rules, that`s No.1 weapon. 3 shots and you sent any car blown up. Even for heli you ned 15 rounds while you shot on it with M4 you`ll need 1 minute before taking it down and by that time you loose too much health.

Severe
  • Severe

Dreamer

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

No offense to you, but you probably bitch too much.

Is pretty much what you wrote, so yeah, no offense at all.

And I don't think it's bitching too much so say that gunsounds were pretty damn dull and low quality, even by 04 standards, when there were several games released that year (and earlier) with much better sounds. Like Vice City, for instance.

But compare for yourself, these are all 04 games.

http://youtu.be/HZ_pYjT3xMc?t=2m41s

http://youtu.be/fRTDPrqjgGs?t=4m39s

http://youtu.be/tJCjgNZ6WIw?t=1m50s

I realise my examples are all FPS, but regarding sounds, there's not really much difference. I'm guessing SA's sub-par sounds might have been an effort to take up less space, but that doesn't change the fact they're just plain not good.

MrVance
  • MrVance

Mark Chump

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 4 weeks ago

I dont take it as bitching when someone complains about poor weapon sounds. 9 mm pistol in SA has the most annoying and unrealistic sound out of any game i`ve ever played not just GTA. In fact that sound is so f*cking neurotic that i`m freaking out when i get 2 or 3 wanted stars just because there are bunch of cops who spawn every second and start to shoot with those pistols. It make my ears burn if i don`t turn down the volume.

That sound is so f*cked up that it doesn`t resemble of any firearm. It doesn`t have an explosive sound, it doesn`t have a supersonic boom, just strange high pitched bang like it would be some small firecracker for kids or something.

In 3, VC, VCS and LCS  9mm pistol is at least more quiet, altough unrealistic too but at least not annoying while in SA you need to turn down the volume every time you hear that crap. 

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Verrekte Mongol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

I liked III and VC weapon sounds. I hated the ones in SA though, they all sounded like cap guns.

MrVance
  • MrVance

Mark Chump

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 4 weeks ago

I liked III and VC weapon sounds. I hated the ones in SA though, they all sounded like cap guns.

My point exactly. I guess R* didn`t want to bother with weapon sounds at all but what harm could it be if they would just record the real weapon`s shot sounds and put it into a game? Would that be so tough and expensive or wtf!

In 3 i didn`t like M 16/s sound and that sound  when you shot at the solid object (wall etc) that thing was realy annoying it sounded like full of nails would fall on the ground or something like that.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Verrekte Mongol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

My point exactly. I guess R* didn`t want to bother with weapon sounds at all but what harm could it be if they would just record the real weapon`s shot sounds and put it into a game? Would that be so tough and expensive or wtf!

In 3 i didn`t like M 16/s sound and that sound  when you shot at the solid object (wall etc) that thing was realy annoying it sounded like full of nails would fall on the ground or something like that.

I really couldn't care less about the M16's sound, seeing as I never used it because the recoil was too crazy.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 4 weeks ago

IMO SA and GTA V have the most corny gun sounds in the series. Quality > quantity.
  • Jeansowaty likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Verrekte Mongol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

IMO SA and GTA V have the most corny gun sounds in the series. Quality > quantity.

Ehhhhh, the only gun sound I can tolerate is the Special Carbine. And even then, it's only because of my raging Germanophilia.

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

._.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 4 weeks ago

Imo, even GTA1, London and 2 had better gun sounds than GTA SA and V :pp

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I see nothing but good things for you my boy.

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Vercetti42, 4 weeks ago.

Gta 4's weapon sounds were great.You could even hear the bullets falling on the ground.
  • SonOfLiberty and Jeansowaty like this

browar25
  • browar25

Cyber Assassin

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by browar25, 4 weeks ago.

Gta 4's weapon sounds were great.You could even hear the bullets falling on the ground.

In terms of weapon sounds, probably the best gta. I also like Mafia the city of Lost Haven. All sounds related with weapon were great in this game with DJ Tommy gun playing the best part.

Severe
  • Severe

Dreamer

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Wait, what? What's wrong with V's sounds? I can think of one or two that could do with improvement, but other than that, it's at least on par with IV, although personal taste may account for a bit.

MrVance
  • MrVance

Mark Chump

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 4 weeks ago

IMO, V has the best shot sounds in any GTA game so far. The most realistic that is. I spend every day in the shooting range so when i come to play 3D era and shoot with weapons it feels even more messed up.

I can number you only few weapons in 3D era with quite realistic sounds and/or fire rate;

GTA 3- 12 GAUGE shotgun is the one and only in this game which sounds at least close to real one when firing hunting pelets which have been seen to drop out in GTA 3

GTA VC- M60 (altough i haven`t fired one in real life but i would give everything to do that  :santa: so i know from YT how it sounds )

TEC 9

M4

MAC 10

GTA SA- SPAS 12 (combat shotgun), AK 47 and M4

GTA LCS&VCS 

AK 47 this one definitly wins, it`s got the most realistic shot sounds and fire rate. Loud automatic fire and medium fire rate as the real one (aprox 600 rds/min)

M60

and that`s about it.

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

._.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 4 weeks ago

IMO, V has the best shot sounds in any GTA game so far. The most realistic that is. I spend every day in the shooting range so when i come to play 3D era and shoot with weapons it feels even more messed up.

I can number you only few weapons in 3D era with quite realistic sounds and/or fire rate;

GTA 3- 12 GAUGE shotgun is the one and only in this game which sounds at least close to real one when firing hunting pelets which have been seen to drop out in GTA 3

GTA VC- M60 (altough i haven`t fired one in real life but i would give everything to do that  :santa: so i know from YT how it sounds )

TEC 9

M4

MAC 10

GTA SA- SPAS 12 (combat shotgun), AK 47 and M4

GTA LCS&VCS 

AK 47 this one definitly wins, it`s got the most realistic shot sounds and fire rate. Loud automatic fire and medium fire rate as the real one (aprox 600 rds/min)

M60

and that`s about it.

And the AK-47 in LCS has the same sound as the Ruger from VC :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users