Thread expirations

27 replies to this topic
Mockage
  • Mockage

This Will Destroy You

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:59 PM

I know a lot of people complain about people bumping ~5yr topics, and I know for staff it can be somewhat irritating to deal with those who redundantly bump a topic. I was thinking, why not implement a system where a thread can become expired and locked after, say, 45 days or so?

• Kirsty likes this

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

Yellow Car!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:02 AM

This actually sounds like a good idea, however threads shouldn't have an expiration date if they're a popular discussion made a year ago. They should only expire if they are are a year + old with the latest reply 5 months ago.

• Miamivicecity and BOSS 302 like this

Franceska
  • Franceska

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:06 AM

You mean a dead topic protection? That's possible. Discussions that haven't had a reply in 2+ years get locked.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Old school

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

This is actually a very good idea.

Franceska
  • Franceska

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:48 AM

There even exists a hook for that for IPB so it doesn't even require custom coding.

Flūttershy
  • Flūttershy

Now with free shipping!

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:45 PM Edited by rawrsnar, 17 July 2014 - 03:47 PM.

Meh. I think this would just hinder people with good intentions from bumping topics with useful information to revitalize discussion, and as mentioned in that other thread about new members making topics, we have enough mods to stop people from spamming.

Franceska
  • Franceska

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

Meh. I think this would just hinder people with good intentions from bumping topics with useful information to revitalize discussion, and as mentioned in that other thread about new members making topics, we have enough mods to stop people from spamming.

How often do you see members bumping a 2+ year old thread with something useful for the huge bump compared to members making threads on day 1? 

Insert-Coin-To-Continue
  • Insert-Coin-To-Continue

Credits: 0

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

There even exists a hook for that for IPB so it doesn't even require custom coding.

It's a hook these days? I remember when it used to be an out-of-the-box feature. /old

Franceska
  • Franceska

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:10 PM Edited by Franceska, 17 July 2014 - 07:10 PM.

It's a hook these days? I remember when it used to be an out-of-the-box feature. /old

It's not by default, but it's a hook that they can install for IPB to have that feature.

http://community.inv...pic-protection/

TJGM
  • TJGM

GTA Mods Led-By

• Feroci Racing
  • Ireland

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:02 PM

I don't like it, especially for the modding community. What if the author of a mod topic is still around on the forums and someone needs to bump his topic to ask for help on something? Or what if the mod author eventually decides to update after a year or two and he can't because his thread is locked?
  • DarrinPA, universetwisters and Kalvin like this

Franceska
  • Franceska

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:54 AM

I don't like it, especially for the modding community. What if the author of a mod topic is still around on the forums and someone needs to bump his topic to ask for help on something? Or what if the mod author eventually decides to update after a year or two and he can't because his thread is locked?

He can ask a moderator to unlock the thread with an explanation why.
  • Mockage and Wavesittich like this

TJGM
  • TJGM

GTA Mods Led-By

• Feroci Racing
  • Ireland

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

He can ask a moderator to unlock the thread with an explanation why.

Seems pointless. It'll just get annoying especially for the modders themselves, current system is fine if you ask me.

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

Perhaps they could implement this system, but have it so it wouldn't happen in certain sections?

Franceska
  • Franceska

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

Perhaps they could implement this system, but have it so it wouldn't happen in certain sections?

That's possible with the hook I linked earlier.

This hook will prevent selected groups from posting in dead topics. You can set:
Groups affected
Forums where it will happen
Number of days to a topic be considered dead
If you allow new post (if don't, Fast Reply won't show up)

They could have the modding section unaffected by this protection. 

• Kalvin likes this

Mockage
  • Mockage

This Will Destroy You

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

I don't see what's the point of excluding it from the modding section. If a thread is dead for a long time in that section it means the modder neglected it, which is their problem. And if someone wants to ask for help, why not just PM the modder? The likelihood of getting a reply is higher by doing that than posting in a dead topic.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THIS ONE GOES OUT TO ALL THE RAVERS IN THE NATION.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

I like the way it is, but why not put a tag on the topic if it hasn't got a reply for a few months or whatever saying it's old, or better yet, make the OP of the thread choose whether or not to let it get locked after X amount of time or keep it open?

Ray Margarita
  • Ray Margarita

Detroit Lions Fan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:23 PM

I like the way it is, but why not put a tag on the topic if it hasn't got a reply for a few months or whatever saying it's old, or better yet, make the OP of the thread choose whether or not to let it get locked after X amount of time or keep it open?

But what if the OP isn't active anymore?

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:24 PM Edited by Kalvin, 18 July 2014 - 09:24 PM.

I don't see what's the point of excluding it from the modding section. If a thread is dead for a long time in that section it means the modder neglected it, which is their problem. And if someone wants to ask for help, why not just PM the modder? The likelihood of getting a reply is higher by doing that than posting in a dead topic.

There's actually been a fair amount of topics in the modding section where someone hasn't replied to it in almost 2 years, but the creator has either made a huge load of progress on it, or is starting it again. If it wasn't excluded from the modding section, a lot of people would be PMing mods to re-open their topics and complaining.

• TJGM likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THIS ONE GOES OUT TO ALL THE RAVERS IN THE NATION.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

But what if the OP isn't active anymore?

Then it should be an option to an OP when he goes to make a thread once the rule hypothetically goes into force. Whether or not he/she wants it to remain open or for it to get locked after X amount of time of inactivity (maybe the OP can chose the amount of time), it's all up to them.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:35 PM

What was out of the box was automatic pruning and it still is. The suggestion is to just lock them, not clean.

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:21 AM

Just report the silly post that revived the dead thread.

• BOSS 302 likes this

Insert-Coin-To-Continue
  • Insert-Coin-To-Continue

Credits: 0

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

What was out of the box was automatic pruning and it still is. The suggestion is to just lock them, not clean.

I'm aware of what the suggestion is. I'd merely forgotten that it was functionality I had added myself back in the 2.x days. 

• Spider-Vice likes this

Toshio_maxoS
  • Toshio_maxoS

Heisenberg's pal™

• Members
  • Red-Cross

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

That even exist for my 5/Month forum :D +1 Keep the Forum clean of bumping. If there wasn't any reply after 2yrs auto-close I'd say

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

Have you driven a Ford... Lately?

• Feroci Racing
  • Australia

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:06 AM

I've never noticed Bumping being bad on this forum, I see 1-2 Topics at most per week, and some of them are mods being revived, if it can be an exception that the topics that get locked can be opened again with the OP making a new post in them, otherwise whenever there is a locked topic on something people will just start new ones on the subject, I know when I go back to reopen an old mod of mine I want to post in the topic then and there, not in 10 minutes to 5 hours when the moderator is either busy or the ones in my timezone area are not online.

Maybe some sections of the forum need this feature but I am yet to visit those areas as things seem pretty good here compared to some other places. It sounds in this topic like people think bumping a topic is as bad as spam bots topics or something, its not going to hurt the forum having a bumped topic open until one of the mods come around and lock it, but it is a pain to have to get your topic unlocked to post in them, its also annoying how we cant quote posts from locked topics, I'm not saying that we cant just use the copy and paste, but it nice to have the persons name and that link arrow back to the original post when you want to share something from a closed topic in another topic.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:19 AM Edited by Andreas, 22 July 2014 - 01:22 AM.

Its also annoying how we cant quote posts from locked topics, I'm not saying that we cant just use the copy and paste, but it nice to have the persons name and that link arrow back to the original post when you want to share something from a closed topic in another topic.

There is a workaround for that, although it might be a little time consuming. Let's use this post of mine as an example.

First, make sure that the rich editor is enabled, so when you copy the content of the post and paste it into your post, the link gets embedded automatically. Then, switch to the light editor, which shows you the BBcode, and add the following to the start of the post you attempt to quote:
[quote name="<insert username>" post="<insert post number>"]
In this case, you replace <insert username> with Andreas. The post number can be figured out when you click at the following icon on the right top of the post: icon_share.png

A pop-up will appear with a direct link to the post. Just copy the number at the very end of the link, and replace <insert post number> with it. Now, close the quote by adding [/quote] at the end of post you quote and voilà, it works.

There is already a topic where you can post about it: Will the PC version be your very first dive into GTA V?:^:

You can now click on the snapback.png icon on the right of the quote box, and it will lead you to the source of the post. The only thing that makes it different than regular quotes, is the lack of time stamp. No idea how to get that to work, though.

Like I said, it might be a little time consuming but it works fine. At the end of the day, you don't quote posts from locked threads on a daily basis, do you?
  • ALMOST610 and WildBrick142 like this

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

Have you driven a Ford... Lately?

• Feroci Racing
  • Australia

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:24 AM

Im sure that is one workaround I might have to try and learn for when I need it, but I do wonder if it is possible for them to enable the Multiquote button back for Locked Topics, Im no IPB expert so Im not sure if that is simply a Checkbox in the Admin panel or if it would need a recode of the software.

Franceska
  • Franceska

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

or if it would need a recode of the software.

This is the case. With the software they use, it's not just a checkbox. It would require custom coding.

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:18 PM

Franceska said you can choose "Groups affected".

My suggestion is extend the New Members group thingy, so it takes longer to be standard Member, and have New Members not be allowed to bump old topics.

Or, just disable bumping for older topics. They can still be posted in, but they won't bump up to the top of the forum, which stops pretty much everyone from bumping old threads. Then it gets bumped back up after a "discussion" starts.

u cen thenk me l8r

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users