59 replies to this topic
Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

SA is a little different case. I think it starts at some time in autumn, or, even in July, which we're in. I think it could have taken months for Carl to go to SF and then LV, and have a fly to LC. When you start the game, everybody mentions that everything has changed, and Carl has forgot many things about the city of Los Santos. He's in LS, for at least 1 month, and then moves to SF. But there's a lot of business there and he doesn't go there just to rest for two nights.
It's logical that when he flies to LC, it's about October, and LS riots happen in December. I know it's not likely to snow in New York in October, but GTA also isn't a very realist game.

To complicate things further, SA's story was originally planned for 3 different characters like V (technological limits caused to not to stick with it) - so the stories could have easily happened simultaneously. One character per city, one story per character, but one timeline shared between them all - events happening in each story could have had a ripple effect on the next character, etc.

I don't see why the LC visit has to be so late in the year. It's based on NY and NY will snow any chance it gets. That could be anywhere from late Autumn to April, perhaps.

Also, we could easily consider that GTA's universe doesn't work by normal year lengths or weather patterns. That makes the most sense overall :p

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Videospiele sind meine Lieblings Videospiele.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:04 AM

Actually, if you look at the calenders in GTA V, they say August on them. Also, as Michael says, North Yankton is "Always Snowing".

I remember the calendars in IV saying "April" even though it was clearly fall.

I think the thing about NY "always snowing" is an exaggeration, seeing as in real life it's crazy cold up there and it does snow a lot, but not year round on a regular basis.
  • The7thOne likes this

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

I think the thing about NY "always snowing" is an exaggeration, seeing as in real life it's crazy cold up there and it does snow a lot, but not year round on a regular basis.

Indeed, but R* loves representing exaggerations in GTA ;)

Paul723
  • Paul723

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:38 PM Edited by Paul723, 14 August 2014 - 05:38 PM.

I guess GTA SA could be set in the fall of 1992 since most of the songs on the radio were released later in the year.

Ridd
  • Ridd

Tipper

• Members
  • Iceland

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:50 PM

SA is a little different case. I think it starts at some time in autumn, or, even in July, which we're in. I think it could have taken months for Carl to go to SF and then LV, and have a fly to LC. When you start the game, everybody mentions that everything has changed, and Carl has forgot many things about the city of Los Santos. He's in LS, for at least 1 month, and then moves to SF. But there's a lot of business there and he doesn't go there just to rest for two nights.
It's logical that when he flies to LC, it's about October, and LS riots happen in December. I know it's not likely to snow in New York in October, but GTA also isn't a very realist game.

I'm almost completely positive that CJ says he's been in San Andreas for "a couple weeks" during the drive to San Fierro in the weed burning mission (forgot the name).

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:06 AM Edited by universetwisters, 17 August 2014 - 12:06 AM.

I'm almost completely positive that CJ says he's been in San Andreas for "a couple weeks" during the drive to San Fierro in the weed burning mission (forgot the name).

"Are you going to San Fierro"? I can't recall CJ mentioning anything like that in that mission.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:31 AM

GTA IV took place in the autumn, hence the trees. :sigh:

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:31 AM

GTA IV was released in April, right?

There are plenty of orange and autumnal looking trees, plus it's 45 degrees or below since you can see the characters' breath.

Probably late October-November 

Ridd
  • Ridd

Tipper

• Members
  • Iceland

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:54 AM

"Are you going to San Fierro"? I can't recall CJ mentioning anything like that in that mission.

My mistake, I looked up a transcript of the game and I guess I misremembered something about CJ saying he and Wu Zi Mu were "just racing cars last week" when a gang member tells him that Wu Zi was blind.

roadrage19
  • roadrage19

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:11 PM

I remember reading the wiki saying that GTA SA is set in late 1992. So San Andreas is set somewhere in between September-December 1992, possibly late August of the year.

Paul723
  • Paul723

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:18 PM

I remember reading the wiki saying that GTA SA is set in late 1992. So San Andreas is set somewhere in between September-December 1992, possibly late August of the year.

If it was set in December 1992, then that would mean the rest of the storyline would be set in 1993, meaning that it would really be the 1993 Riots. lol

• 90sGTA likes this

roadrage19
  • roadrage19

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:45 AM

GTA IV was released in April, right?

There are plenty of orange and autumnal looking trees, plus it's 45 degrees or below since you can see the characters' breath.

Probably late October-November 

It's definitely set in the fall. Just because it was released in April doesn't mean it's set in that month.

simonp92
  • simonp92

Whodunit?

• Members

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:56 PM

Pretty sure that GTA IV is actually set during the fall/autumn of 2007, since there are calenders ingame  which shows this, plus the people are all dressed for winther, and sometimes you can see Niko's breath, 

RandomStunt
  • RandomStunt

Rafael

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:31 PM

i remember someone saying that most of EFLC's new music is made in 2009, and the theory GTA IV being set in early 2009.

90sGTA
  • 90sGTA

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:44 AM

I always thought San Andreas was set in December 1992 since it was snowing in LC in the intro. Plus, that was the time Dre's album The Chronic was released.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:16 AM

GTA London

GTA London takes place in 1969. Are you blind to the cover?
  • Zello likes this

Leo2301
  • Leo2301

Doofenshmirtz Evil Inc.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:11 AM

What about Advance? It takes place in 2000, but which month?

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:42 AM

What about Advance? It takes place in 2000, but which month?

Marchcember
  • theGTAking101, Zello and thedriver111 like this

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:27 AM Edited by Flesh-n-Bone, 15 May 2015 - 05:31 AM.

I think San Andreas starts around the end of the summer. By the time Carl is in Venturas, they're probably reaching November time. It makes sense that way because SF is mixed weather wise which would seem most normal around fall time.

He doesn't. But in two cases, he implies he's been in SF for about a week midway through that set of missions (Mike Toreno and first Woozie mission).

RandomStunt
  • RandomStunt

Rafael

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:53 AM

i think that SA is set somewhere around winter, because you can see snow when you travel to Liberty City. But then, why no snow in San Andreas?

roadrage19
  • roadrage19

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:53 PM

i think that SA is set somewhere around winter, because you can see snow when you travel to Liberty City. But then, why no snow in San Andreas?

That's why I believe SA is set in December 1992. And there's no snow in San Andreas because it's based on California.

90sGTA
  • 90sGTA

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:04 PM

That's why I believe SA is set in December 1992. And there's no snow in San Andreas because it's based on California.
That's also what I was thinking as well since winter starts in December and SA is set in late 1992.

Rollin69
  • Rollin69

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:16 PM

San Andreas is definetly set in December since it was snowing in Liberty in the intro.

thedriver111
  • thedriver111

Facade Corporation

• Members
  • England

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:20 PM

I've always thought that IV & EFLC started in April/May 2008 and ends in early 2009. Then Chinatown Wars takes place later on in 09.

90sGTA
  • 90sGTA

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:56 PM

I've always thought that IV & EFLC started in April/May 2008 and ends in early 2009. Then Chinatown Wars takes place later on in 09.

If GTA IV is set in April/May, then LC must have the most capricious weather ever, because if you watch the climate throughout the storyline, you can see that the setting is sometime during the fall.

inadequate
  • inadequate

Midnight Emulator

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:05 PM Edited by inadequate, 18 May 2015 - 09:06 PM.

SA take place around October or probably December, no? Or Octocember? :p

DaWiesel
  • DaWiesel

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:57 PM

If GTA IV is set in April/May, then LC must have the most capricious weather ever, because if you watch the climate throughout the storyline, you can see that the setting is sometime during the fall.

IV was planned to release in fall 2007 but was delayed to April 2008, so normally the game would have been set in autumn 2007 but because of the delay it's set in autumn 2008, that's at least what I think.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:19 PM

IV is pretty hard to place. It actually more so resembles NYC in Fall, and the entire game is referenced to happening in 2008. Yet some of the music in TLAD and moreso in TBOGT were released in '09. However the Weazle news trailer for TBOGT depeicts the bank robbery with a timestamp saying May 2009. So it's anyones guess.

But Chinatown Wars starts on a pretty exact date in 2009, which I believe is 16 September, since Huangs PDA registration email has that set as the date it was set up.

lastmanonearth
  • lastmanonearth

Je suis Drunken Cowboy

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:12 PM

Actually, if you look at the calenders in GTA V, they say August on them. Also, as Michael says, North Yankton is "Always Snowing".

Maybe North Yankton is Alaska then?

SuperGTFan
  • SuperGTFan

Big Homie

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:17 PM Edited by SuperGTFan, 23 May 2015 - 11:19 PM.

@lastmanonearth

Welcome back, bro! 😄

And North Yankton is based on North Dakota by the way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users