Full dates the GTA games are set in

79 replies to this topic
watersgta3
  • watersgta3

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:28 AM

I know the GTA storylines only have years it is set in and have no specific month it starts at since the days in-game always elapse, but in my opinion, here are the full dates to each GTA storyline WHEN THEY START

GTA VCS - July 27, 1984
GTA VC - June 27, 1986
GTA SA - September 10, 1992
GTA LCS - October 30, 1998 (you can see the date on the front of the manual)
GTA III - October 18, 2001
GTA IV - on its release date
GTA V - on its release date

That's my opinion on the full dates of the GTA storylines they start at in the beginning. What do you think?
  • squeezx likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:06 AM

I think GTA 5 and San Andreas take place during the winter months, seeing as when you go up north it's fully snowed over, like North Yankton (V) and Liberty City (SA)

• lastmanonearth, TheOtherRyan, Luddite and 7 others like this

GTA19somethin
  • GTA19somethin

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:11 AM

I think GTA 5 and San Andreas take place during the winter months, seeing as when you go up north it's fully snowed over, like North Yankton (V) and Liberty City (SA)

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

Yeah but it always counts by the first mission, not the entire game. As you do missions, time passes ALOT. Niko mentioned this in a mission in GTA IV when someone asked him how long he has been in LC, he said ''About a month now.''

• BlackScout likes this

the ironic one
  • the ironic one

Don't take life too seriously. You wont get out of it alive.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

I know the GTA storylines only have years it is set in and have no specific month it starts at since the days in-game always elapse, but in my opinion, here are the full dates to each GTA storyline WHEN THEY START

GTA VCS - July 27, 1984
GTA VC - June 27, 1986
GTA SA - September 10, 1992
GTA LCS - October 30, 1998 (you can see the date on the front of the manual)
GTA III - October 18, 2001
GTA IV - on its release date
GTA V - on its release date

That's my opinion on the full dates of the GTA storylines they start at in the beginning. What do you think?

Why you didn't mention about GTA I, GTA London and GTA 2?

GTA19somethin
  • GTA19somethin

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

That would mean that the date GTA San Andreas' storyline starts at is around late December 1992.

watersgta3
  • watersgta3

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:42 PM Edited by watersgta3, 16 July 2014 - 09:42 PM.

You're right. I'll change the date of the start of the storyline of GTA San Andreas to December 19, 1992 since it usually starts snowing in the east coast at around December.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:30 PM

You're right. I'll change the date of the start of the storyline of GTA San Andreas to December 19, 1992 since it usually starts snowing in the east coast at around December.

But what about the LA Riots? They took place in like April or May in 1992....

• SmokesWithCigs likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:31 PM

Maybe the LS Riots took place in another month? Or they had multiple LS Riots, I wouldn't know.

• Zello likes this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:40 PM

Maybe the LS Riots took place in another month? Or they had multiple LS Riots, I wouldn't know.

Good point and since its like at the very end lots of time has passed

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:59 PM

Good point and since its like at the very end lots of time has passed

That's logical, seeing how little time passes between Niko's cameos in TLAD compared to Johnny's cameos in IV. Time and distance are a very odd thing in the GTAverse

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

Where did you got that date for VCS? On wikia GTA timeline says that VCS takes place in late fall of 1984, so that`s somewhere in mid november

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

Where did you got that date for VCS? On wikia GTA timeline says that VCS takes place in late fall of 1984, so that`s somewhere in mid november

Don't trust the GTA wikia, it's more often than not liars with fanfiction.

Legitly, though, the manual that came with VCS is styled like a tabloid magazine and the date on it is "August 1984". Sorry I don't have a picture scanner, so this'll have to do:

CNphfvk.png

• Tomasak and SmokesWithCigs like this

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

Aha ok, my fault than. So wikia`s infos aren˙t that reliable?

I`ll bear that in mind  :lol:

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

Aha ok, my fault than. So wikia`s infos aren˙t that reliable?

Pretty much, seeing as anybody can edit lies and sh*tty fanfiction into them, like this example I made to show you.

rakc72d.png

• Gummy , Alchemist, Tao Cheng and 1 other like this

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

Why not have the game start in January 1992, so trough the course of the story (even though it is a bit inconsistent since both event (travel to LC and riots happen near the end of the storyline) we get to end of April when the riots happened.

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

If you enter the gost world in SA (l.e. when you`re parachuting down from marco`s bistro in the mission St. Mark`s bistro you will eventualy reach ghost town which is actually in Doherty, SF where CJ`s garage is located. 

However it is the only way to enter that garage and in the small room you will see a calendar on the wall. Camera angle is in strange mode when you`re inside so use a sniper or camera and scope on the calendar. I forgot the exact date but i know it was december 1992.

GTA19somethin
  • GTA19somethin

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:30 PM Edited by GTA19somethin, 17 July 2014 - 10:30 PM.

Why not have the game start in January 1992, so trough the course of the story (even though it is a bit inconsistent since both event (travel to LC and riots happen near the end of the storyline) we get to end of April when the riots happened.

Unfortunately, most of the songs on the game, such as Deep Cover, Nuthin But a G Thang, f*ck Wit Dre Day, It Was a Good Day, Hood Took Me Under, Guerillas in the Mist, Killing in the Name, Plush, Them Bones, Never Gonna Get It, and I'm So Into You were all released much later in 1992. So that won't really work.

Kalerney
  • Kalerney

---

• Members
  • France

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:43 PM Edited by Kalerney, 17 July 2014 - 10:44 PM.

About L.C.S, it can't be October, because the Callahan Bridge is planned to open in May 98 as said in game ;-)

wiizardii
  • wiizardii

Hagu

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:21 PM

About L.C.S, it can't be October, because the Callahan Bridge is planned to open in May 98 as said in game ;-)

So it takes place about March april 1998? Niiiiceeee

Boyz2Society
  • Boyz2Society

Rat

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:04 PM

Hold on. If the manual for LCS says that the date is October 30, 1998, then R* made a big mistake. Because if you play the game, the Callahan Bridge was said to open on May 1998. Then again, this isn't the first plothole R* made.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:08 PM

Hold on. If the manual for LCS says that the date is October 30, 1998, then R* made a big mistake. Because if you play the game, the Callahan Bridge was said to open on May 1998. Then again, this isn't the first plothole R* made.

Everything in Liberty City is delayed. Remember the Porter Tunnel?

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:27 PM Edited by Deji, 22 July 2014 - 11:31 PM.

Not sure about V, but SA is definitely wrong. With V, I'm pretty sure the only occurrence of Yankton is in the setting which is many years before the actual events of V, so not only does the month change, but the decade does :p

As for SA, I'm pretty sure it at least starts out at late Autumn. The LC being snowed over thing isn't true:
https://www.youtube....LIAISF9I#t=1254
(you also see CJ in LC earlier, but in the scene right before that, it's clear OG Loc hasn't gotten himself into college prison yet, so that is presumably many months before CJ flies back to SA)

Well, actually, that's clearly a San Andreas location - R* pulled a cheap one there. But still, the idea is he's in LC and there's definitely no snow. Being that the visit to LC doesn't take place until you're already well-established Venturras, it could be safe to assume it is set in late Autumn and runs through to early Winter at the latest.

Still, I don't think R* plan full dates for the events or abide too well by them. However I wanted to think about this quite a lot while working on the script for the Vigilante Justice mod - since I wanted certain events to coincide with SA's, and I DO pay attention to specific dates :)

Why you didn't mention about GTA I, GTA London and GTA 2?

GTA 2 takes place 3 weeks in the future (as in, always 3 weeks from whatever today's date is), so there'd be a lot of editing required to keep that up to date :p

GTA London definitely takes place mid Summer... any other date and, being that this is London, the entire game would be MUCH darker :lol:

the ironic one
  • the ironic one

Don't take life too seriously. You wont get out of it alive.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:52 PM

I've heard that GTA 2 is set in 2013 :)

• best for business likes this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:13 AM Edited by Staten, 23 July 2014 - 01:13 AM.

I think GTA V begins on 20th April 2013.  Why?  Because the first Weazel News report mentions that a court has decided that the Epsilon Program is not a cult, and on 20th April, the EpsilonismToday twitter feed celebrated the same thing. 

• na89340qv0n34b09q340 likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:24 AM

With V, I'm pretty sure the only occurrence of Yankton is in the setting which is many years before the actual events of V, so not only does the month change, but the decade does :p

You forgot that Bury the Hatchet takes place in the middle of V's story.

The Mysterious One
  • The Mysterious One

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:49 AM

Well, what could explain people on the beach in swimwear in San Andreas and in V? Unless it's often thought that it never gets cold in SoCal.

I don't live in Southern California. I live in Northern California, but I have been down to LA during November and December and at most, I think I remember it being in the 60s to 70s when I was down there last.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:17 AM

Well, what could explain people on the beach in swimwear in San Andreas and in V? Unless it's often thought that it never gets cold in SoCal.

I don't live in Southern California. I live in Northern California, but I have been down to LA during November and December and at most, I think I remember it being in the 60s to 70s when I was down there last.

They do that here in Daytona too, you'd be surprised.

The7thOne
  • The7thOne

I went out to get cigarettes and never returned...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:00 AM

Actually, if you look at the calenders in GTA V, they say August on them. Also, as Michael says, North Yankton is "Always Snowing".

Pooyan Cyrus
  • Pooyan Cyrus

Drake stole my notebook :(

• Members
  • Mars
  • Helpfulness Award [Concepts]
    Best Concept Story 2013 "Grand Theft Auto: Ultimate"
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:10 AM Edited by PooyanCyrus, 23 July 2014 - 08:24 AM.

I'm seeing a common mistake about GTA2 again.
"3 weeks in future" which was featured on R* and box, doesn't mean 'today+three weeks'. It means that the whole game's duration is 3 weeks and all these things are happening in future.

What future? When? Which year?
Nobody's sure. But due to police's database in website of the game, it's 13. 13 here probably means 2013.
But you could sure it's not 2113, or later than that.

SA is a little different case. I think it starts at some time in autumn, or, even in July, which we're in. I think it could have taken months for Carl to go to SF and then LV, and have a fly to LC. When you start the game, everybody mentions that everything has changed, and Carl has forgot many things about the city of Los Santos. He's in LS, for at least 1 month, and then moves to SF. But there's a lot of business there and he doesn't go there just to rest for two nights.
It's logical that when he flies to LC, it's about October, and LS riots happen in December. I know it's not likely to snow in New York in October, but GTA also isn't a very realist game.
  • the ironic one and Carmain2K like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users