Would this be possible?

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

I don't think anyone would want, or want to deal with 1000+ users writing spam posts all at the same time.

Franceska
  • Franceska

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:27 PM

Shoutbox is a paid application for Invision Power Board, the system they use. I'm not too sure how strong the servers are exactly, but with the amount of traffic, you could have a pretty busy shoutbox.

I don't think they would re introduce the shoutbox.

Flūttershy
  • Flūttershy

SMILE

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:05 AM

Would this be possible?

I hope so. Many other websites I visit have a chat, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible for this one.

AiraCobra
  • AiraCobra

ĦĦooɥS ooɥS ǝıqooɥS

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:03 AM

Would this be possible?

I hope so. Many other websites I visit have a chat, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible for this one.

It wouldn't work out very well...

Only 10 post are visible at a time and by time you click post on the post you wrote, It'll already be knocked off the page.

It's just a big mess waiting to happen.

• Android likes this

Flūttershy
  • Flūttershy

SMILE

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:06 AM

Would this be possible?

Only 10 post are visible at a time and by time you click post on the post you wrote, It'll already be knocked off the page.

Maybe they could just set the max active users at 20 or something? And also, on another forum I visit they had a shoutbox that didn't clear anything until an hour had past. Not sure what program they used, but it was embedded in the forum homescreen.

AiraCobra
  • AiraCobra

ĦĦooɥS ooɥS ǝıqooɥS

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:08 AM Edited by AiraCobra, 16 July 2014 - 02:10 AM.

Would this be possible?

Maybe they could just set the max active users at 20 or something? And also, on another forum I visit they had a shoutbox that didn't clear anything until an hour had past. Not sure what program they used, but it was embedded in the forum homescreen.

It doesn't work like that.

I know what you are talking about QOTD Forum has a shoutbox and we use it often but the post will remain until someone write a post and then the post at the very top will be removed to make room for the new post.

The way the shoutbox works is everybody who is on the forum can just write a post, You don't sign in and don't need to register it's more like a "comment" section

Flūttershy
  • Flūttershy

SMILE

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:34 AM

Would this be possible?

It doesn't work like that.

I know what you are talking about QOTD Forum has a shoutbox and we use it often but the post will remain until someone write a post and then the post at the very top will be removed to make room for the new post.

The way the shoutbox works is everybody who is on the forum can just write a post, You don't sign in and don't need to register it's more like a "comment" section

Lol, no... I'm not talking about the QOTD forum. I'm talking about a different forum that had a chat system where you could scroll up and see everything that was posted in the last hour, no matter how many people had posted since. Also, you had to be registered to post. The forum ran on vBulletin if I remember correctly, so I don't know if something similar could be created here.

AiraCobra
  • AiraCobra

ĦĦooɥS ooɥS ǝıqooɥS

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:48 AM

Lol, no... I'm not talking about the QOTD forum. I'm talking about a different forum that had a chat system where you could scroll up and see everything that was posted in the last hour, no matter how many people had posted since. Also, you had to be registered to post. The forum ran on vBulletin if I remember correctly, so I don't know if something similar could be created here.

Ahh okay, I misunderstood.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:26 AM

Is it possible, yes.

Would it work, maybe.

Is it likely to happen, no.

• Moth likes this

Moth
  • Moth

When life gives you lemons, nuke the planet.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:19 AM

Is it possible, yes.

Would it work, maybe.

Is it likely to happen, no.

Is there really a point? no

Franceska
  • Franceska

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:21 AM

Cobra, what you're talking about is a free sh*t shoutbox. What IPB uses is a professional shoutbox that actually costs money. And it works different.

JustHatched
  • JustHatched

Domestic Battery

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Shoutbox is a paid application for Invision Power Board, the system they use. I'm not too sure how strong the servers are exactly, but with the amount of traffic, you could have a pretty busy shoutbox.

I don't think they would re introduce the shoutbox.

Its a free 3rd party app not paid. I know cuz I have multiple IPB sites.
I easy to setup and restrict.it so a user has to have x posts.on the site.before they have access to it. Eliminates a lot.of.bs that way.
  • Franceska likes this

Franceska
  • Franceska

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

My bad then. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users