Photo

Sudden drop in framerate?

9 replies to this topic
Inked.
  • Inked.

MAYHEM till the AM

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:50 PM Edited by Will Troll, 15 July 2014 - 05:51 PM.

So I've got this weird problem that just randomly started. I'll load into SA and I'll get no more than 10 fps. I don't even hit 30 in a basic interior. This problem has never happened before and I have a GeForce GT 650M. It just randomly started occurring and I cant figure out how to resolve it.

When I noticed it, I was testing a new set of mods. I logged in, this happened and I assumed it was because I had another game running (doesn't take a lot of resources and was at the menu screen). I closed that, tried again. Same problem. I figured it must've been the mods so I uninstalled them completely (I assure you, none of those mods are still in my game, I even went back to a directory that is 2 months old and still had this issue). I tried again and same issue.

The only other thing I did that night relating to GTA was I accidently set the default assosciation for .txd files to open in txd workshop. I didn't think that'd matter but I undid the assosciation anyway. Didn't do anything. I restarted my laptop and everything ran smooth. I went to bed.

Next morning I log on and the framerate issue is back. I restart my laptop, and it's resolved. I don't play the rest of the day. Go to bed.

Wake up today, it's back. It seems the temp fix is a restart but I need a real fix. Any ideas what's causing my sudden drop in FPS? I've checked, it's using my gfx card.

I've noticed that it is in both SA:MP and SinglePlayer. And this is the only game this happens with. Performance across the board among everything is perfectly normal.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

Have you tried the "Aspirin" of Deleting the gta_sa.set file?

Inked.
  • Inked.

MAYHEM till the AM

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

Yeah, I did. Didn't help.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:00 AM Edited by lil weasel, 16 July 2014 - 03:01 AM.

How about stopping all background programs: Email searches, Upgrade/patch searches, defragging, security scans while the game is running?

All mods? You are playing with the DVD in the Drive?

You do not have Windows 8 as the operating system?

Your game is a Legitimate purchase?
By the way, your downgrader is a mod (needed for the DVD v2 or STEAM download v3).

Inked.
  • Inked.

MAYHEM till the AM

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:27 AM

Line 1: I've done so. Seems not to really matter in this case (and the rest of my laptop seems to run fine)

2: Not all mods, I've uninstalled the recent ones. But the mods I have installed prior to this event are literally over a month old and never caused problem before, and I mean literally never caused a problem. Typically not a lot of mods either, I like to keep it somewhat basic. -- Yeah.

3: I do, but I have gotten around "issues" Win8 has caused. I've been playing SA/SA:MP on this Win8 laptop for over a year before this with no issue.

4: Yeah.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

I know you've been complaining, but you weren't ready.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

GeForce GT 650M.

I assume it is a laptop then. Does it have switchable graphics? Or by layman's terms a performance and power saving mode for the graphics? Some laptops include two graphics chips, one for gaming and other that just sucks. Some games can't sometimes distinguish one from the other and use the weakest graphics chip.

KBG
  • KBG

8-bit.

• Members
  • India

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

But GT650M is quite a powerful card when it comes to handle San Andreas. :/

Inked.
  • Inked.

MAYHEM till the AM

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:51 PM Edited by Will Troll, 16 July 2014 - 04:52 PM.

GeForce GT 650M.

I assume it is a laptop then. Does it have switchable graphics? Or by layman's terms a performance and power saving mode for the graphics? Some laptops include two graphics chips, one for gaming and other that just sucks. Some games can't sometimes distinguish one from the other and use the weakest graphics chip.

Well that's what I thought too. I went to my NCP, I've put it on Auto-Detect, my 650M, and the integrated graphics. None of them fixed the issue. Yes, it has a power saver mode, but when it's plugged in it's always on High Performance. I'm thinking my problem might be more than just my GTA though. I found a few things out last night.

Update: I think this may be relevant but I'm not sure how. I don't usually watch videos on my laptop but I wanted to check something out. Any video on YouTube I play has these effects:

5-6 seconds at the most with horrible framerate, and then the video sets to 00:00 and then it crashes to this screen:

bd7b79348a37043865ab6363fa030417.png

This happens with every video on YouTube, but not on my desktop. My laptop and my desktop are connected to the same router, but the laptop is on WiFi. Despite that, sites load fast and everything else seems fine. Never had this problem before, and it seems quite interesting to be just a coincidence to start the same time my GTA randomly craps out.

I don't understand how exactly they might be relevant, considering ones a YouTube video and the other is an old video game, but I don't even understand why restarting my computer fixes the game. (I'll test later to see if rebooting fixes the YouTube issue like it does with GTA)

It's just weird because I can play counter strike global offensive, no frame issues. Arma 3, no issues. It seems like all other games play fine (as far as I've tested) except GTA and YouTube videos.

Oh boy, it just gets worse and worse.

So I noticed when I was testing out the YT videos, I never heard any sound. And I turned my volume up to 80.

I played a bit of Arma and didn't hear any sound. I had headphones leading to my desktop in but the volume was still on 80, I would of heard at least something, at least when I shot a gun or flew a chopper. But I didn't, and the volume icon remains as the speaker with only 1 half-circle (when it would normally be at 3 by now)

It gets better. I load up iTunes to see if I can play a song, I double click on a few different songs and get the same result. The player states that I'm playing the song but remains stuck on 00:00 and I hear nothing. I can "Pause" it or "Skip" on the track, both of which act very laggy and take upwards of 3 or 4 seconds, something that normally was instantly.

In addition: I remembered something. The other day I started up my laptop and immediately opened the task manager to check some things. I noticed that on a fresh reboot, I had 100% disk usage for 5-10 minutes. It then stopped and I haven't checked to see if the same thing happened.

- GTA plays like crap (but no other game)
- YouTube just doesn't play
- iTunes just doesn't play
- One instance of 100% disk usage on boot-up

(x-post from a computer help forum)

So my issue may not be GTA, it may be something with my laptop and GTA is the unlucky bastard that doesn't work because of it.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

I know you've been complaining, but you weren't ready.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

But GT650M is quite a powerful card when it comes to handle San Andreas. :/

Nothing to do with the issue. The potential issue was that GTA SA is too old to detect there are two graphics cards, therefore it could use the Intel integrated one and not the nVidia.

[snip]

So my issue may not be GTA, it may be something with my laptop and GTA is the unlucky bastard that doesn't work because of it.

Hmm, a good thing to do would be trying to reinstall your graphics drivers. Uninstall from the control panel fully, then download the most recent ones from nVidia.

Inked.
  • Inked.

MAYHEM till the AM

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:30 PM

Well, that's what I'm worried about. I actually have the most updated drivers for my  card. I upgraded them a few weeks ago and nothing had issues since. It's been at the most recent drivers for weeks and this issue just occurred the other day.

I can give a reinstall a try anyway, just for the f*ck of it. Not like I have many other options at the moment haha.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users